Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

WHATS FOR DINNER?

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/14, 10:23 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Do y'all like fried pies? Or is that not as big in Texas as it is the southeast?
Because it's not unhealthy enough the way it is.
Old 1/29/14, 10:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Do y'all like fried pies? Or is that not as big in Texas as it is the southeast?
It's pretty big at Whataburger.

We don't fry as much of our pastries as those in the deep South do, but I like them--as long as they're eaten when they're fried. They're not nearly as good if they've sat for too long. The deal with frying (at least for my wife and myself) is that we're trying to be careful with cholesterol, and you can't get really, REALLY good fried food without lard. She'll make me fried chicken strips that come out crunchy and super moist on the inside, and she can only get them to do that when she uses lard. We do that probably no more than about 3-4 times a year. It's actually a special thing now. She's a huge fan of fried pies. She visits Atlanta occasionally and there are several people that live in the area that take her to all these different restaurants. She has told me that it's the little ones that are the best tasting and she has to always get a fried peach pie.
Old 1/29/14, 10:38 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
When I think of fried pies I think of drive thru fast food like Whataburger and McDonalds

Around here it's Kolaches. Every fruit thing is a Kolache. I guess there are empanadas in the Mexican places but I never cared much for them. They usually have pumpkin or sweet potato in them around here and are a breakfast item. But essentially they are a fried pie.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 1/29/14 at 10:43 PM.
Old 1/29/14, 10:41 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
It's pretty big at Whataburger.

We don't fry as much of our pastries as those in the deep South do, but I like them--as long as they're eaten when they're fried. They're not nearly as good if they've sat for too long. The deal with frying (at least for my wife and myself) is that we're trying to be careful with cholesterol, and you can't get really, REALLY good fried food without lard. She'll make me fried chicken strips that come out crunchy and super moist on the inside, and she can only get them to do that when she uses lard. We do that probably no more than about 3-4 times a year. It's actually a special thing now. She's a huge fan of fried pies. She visits Atlanta occasionally and there are several people that live in the area that take her to all these different restaurants. She has told me that it's the little ones that are the best tasting and she has to always get a fried peach pie.
Yeah, fried pies have always been a big deal down here. I remember years ago when some acquaintances from Wisconsin and Iowa came down for a while and kept seeing roadside signs for "Fried Pies" they finally asked "WTF is a fried pie?" After explaining they were still skeptical, after they tried one they couldn't get enough.

I never did care for them, except the chocolate ones, they're pretty good. But like you said, only when they're just made and still hot and crispy, after they sit you just can't get that crispiness back and they're soggy and greasy.

Peanut oil works really well for crunchy juicy chicken (like you use for a turkey or ducks), and I'm sure its better for you than lard. But its hard to beat lard for good fried food. I don't remember my grandmother ever using anything but lard for frying.

I've cut way down on anything fried these days, really don't eat much of anything deep fried and if I do, only a little bit of it.
Old 1/29/14, 10:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
When I think of fried pies I think of drive thru fast food like Whataburger and McDonalds

Around here it's Kolaches. Every fruit thing is a Kolache. I guess there are empanadas in the Mexican places but I never cared much for them. They usually have pumpkin or sweet potato in them around here and are a breakfast item. But essentially they are a fried pie.
Blueberry kolaches every Saturday morning for breakfast from the bakery around the corner. I'm not sure what I'd do without them. There's a **** good kolache place in Snook up by College Station, so when you go see your daughter try to make it out there. Still one of my favorite places to get them.
Old 1/29/14, 10:51 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

My granny would roll over in her grave if she thought anyone compared her fried pies to anything at a fast food joint, lol.

I remember you telling me about those.
Old 1/29/14, 10:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Peanut oil works really well for crunchy juicy chicken (like you use for a turkey or ducks), and I'm sure its better for you than lard. But its hard to beat lard for good fried food. I don't remember my grandmother ever using anything but lard for frying.

I've cut way down on anything fried these days, really don't eat much of anything deep fried and if I do, only a little bit of it.
I haven't had her try peanut oil; I'll have her do that. Most of her recipes are from her grandmother who grew up in Vidor, TX (pronounced VAAAAHHHder), which is spitting distance from Louisiana relatively speaking. Much of her grandmother's family was from the deep South, along with Frank and Jesse James (which she is unfortunately pleased about telling everyone she knows now that she's gone senile). Lots of rouxs, lots of lard-fried food. It's so good, but it's just not smart anymore since I don't work nearly as hard as the people who grew up on that stuff 100 years ago did.
Old 1/29/14, 10:53 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I haven't had her try peanut oil; I'll have her do that. Most of her recipes are from her grandmother who grew up in Vidor, TX (pronounced VAAAAHHHder), which is spitting distance from Louisiana relatively speaking. Much of her grandmother's family was from the deep South, along with Frank and Jesse James (which she is unfortunately pleased about telling everyone she knows now that she's gone senile). Lots of rouxs, lots of lard-fried food. It's so good, but it's just not smart anymore since I don't work nearly as hard as the people who grew up on that stuff 100 years ago did.

Isn't the Klan big up in Vidor?
Old 1/29/14, 10:55 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I never have cared for fruit pies, which is odd growing up in the South. Especially with fried pies filled with fruit being so big down here, granny used to make tons of them in the summer when the fruit trees started putting out, apple, peach, cherry, etc. Be in the kitchen all day rolling out dough, filling them with cooked fruit, fold them over, pinch the edges shut and fry them in big deep iron skillet full of lard. Gotta make that fruit healthy.

Don't really love pies at all, they're just alright, not my first choice for something sweet. I like chocolate pie, sweet potato pie and pecan pie, but that's about it. I prefer cakes and cookies as far as baked deserts go.
Oh lord, fruit filled fried pies, i am a sucker for them.... apple and cherry i know exactly the type you are referring to, my grandmother makes them and its so much gluten goodness lol.
Old 1/29/14, 10:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Isn't the Klan big up in Vidor?
Yep. Sure as hell is. I got the pleasure of being introduced to some rather...interesting individuals when I went with my spotter to see his mother--who lived in VAAAAHHHder. I ended up getting stuck with him because no one else could understand what the **** he was saying.
Old 1/30/14, 07:54 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Name:  image-274141571.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  152.6 KB
Old 1/30/14, 09:49 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Favorite dessert, hands down, is peach cobbler with two scoops of Blue Bell homemade vanilla. That's a bowl full of reason to get up in the morning.
Ohhhhhh boy. You ain't kidding!

I love pies, my favorite have to be pumpkin, sweet potato, and pecan (though the pecan has a tendency to be too sweet when some people make it).

I like sweets, but it's easy to go overboard. I'm not much on chocolate by itself, but it goes good with other things. My aunt makes me for Christmas a batch of peanut butter ritz bitz covered in white chocolate. **** they're good!
Old 1/30/14, 11:18 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Ohhhhhh boy. You ain't kidding!

I love pies, my favorite have to be pumpkin, sweet potato, and pecan (though the pecan has a tendency to be too sweet when some people make it).

I like sweets, but it's easy to go overboard. I'm not much on chocolate by itself, but it goes good with other things. My aunt makes me for Christmas a batch of peanut butter ritz bitz covered in white chocolate. **** they're good!
I love those white chocolate covered peanut butter and Ritz crackers.
Old 1/30/14, 03:03 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
You guys gotta stop. I've been working my tail off to lose weighty and eat better and now you name all this junk I love.... Ahhh!
Old 1/30/14, 03:10 PM
NTTAWWT

I need to start doing something. This job is going to kil me. Ridiuclous hours, poor ergonomics, bad lighting, daily frustrations and a horrid diet to go with all the other is getting me to a point where I feel like total
Old 1/30/14, 03:29 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
I need to start doing something. This job is going to kil me. Ridiuclous hours, poor ergonomics, bad lighting, daily frustrations and a horrid diet to go with all the other is getting me to a point where I feel like total
A senior vp that was a real jerk gave me a piece of advice I still remember: "Take charge of the things you can control. As for the things that you can't control, just manage them to the best of your ability".
It helped me not get so wound up over things. Things that for the most part really didn't matter as it pertained to my staying focused on my own tasks at hand.

Short of that, pour a double!
Old 1/30/14, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lemon peppered tilapia, asparagus and corn.
Old 1/30/14, 03:59 PM
NTTAWWT

Originally Posted by cdynaco
A senior vp that was a real jerk gave me a piece of advice I still remember: "Take charge of the things you can control. As for the things that you can't control, just manage them to the best of your ability".
It helped me not get so wound up over things. Things that for the most part really didn't matter as it pertained to my staying focused on my own tasks at hand.

Short of that, pour a double!
I try to keep that mindset, but I'm the type of person that I expect perfection in everything that I do, so when things around here affect me to a point where I feel like it negatively impacts my performance, I get irritated. It's a combo of a lot of little things around here (anyone of them changed would help tremendously overall, suggestions which always fall upon deaf ears) that all put together give me stress on a ridiculous level. 4 jobs, 20 hours credits, and tons of extra-curriculars in college at the same time never even approached the aggravation I have here.

Just gotta keep focused on that August 1st deadline for my year of experience in a CPA firm, then it'll take a month to go through the licensing process and I'll be out of here Looney Tunes style with a cloud of dust behind me.

And yes, it'll be a double!
Old 1/30/14, 04:10 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,749 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Vegetable soup and a BLT sandwich.
Old 1/30/14, 04:17 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,729 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickstang
Best reason I can think of!
Agree!!!
Blueberry kolaches every Saturday morning for breakfast from the bakery around the corner. I'm not sure what I'd do without them. There's a **** good kolache place in Snook up by College Station, so when you go see your daughter try to make it out there. Still one of my favorite places to get them.
Never had a kolache but certainly would try one especially with blueberries! :nice

Quick Reply: WHATS FOR DINNER?