Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

WHATS FOR DINNER?

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/14, 10:33 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Darren's posts make me want to chew on my phone ....
Old 1/11/14, 10:44 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Darren's posts make me want to chew on my phone ....
And his grocery bill must be insane. Even if it's just feeding 2. Really wish me or the wife could dedicate that much time every night at the stove. I usually cook big so there's leftovers for a couple days.
Old 1/11/14, 10:59 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
And his grocery bill must be insane. Even if it's just feeding 2. Really wish me or the wife could dedicate that much time every night at the stove. I usually cook big so there's leftovers for a couple days.
LMAO! truly it's a bit of a myth that good food can't be served quickly and inexpensively. Fresh produce is not expensive at all. Our backyard garden supplies us with fresh herbs, garlic, tomatoes, carrots etc. I use fresh pasta from a local italian shop when possible but even that's not expensive. The key for me is GAS stove and oven. direct control over the heat makes preparation of anything i post, 30 minutes or less. Steak, chicken and fish is bought from various places depending on what's in season. I get most of my beef from costco. Swordfish, halibut etc i buy according to season at the local fish markets, since i live in a port city. I am not a formally trained chef, but have many friends that are. Either in catering or restaurant biz.

gas, good pans and spices are the magic 3 in my opinion. the rest is timing.
Old 1/11/14, 12:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Yes. Gas stove ftw. We have electric
Old 1/11/14, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Castle
Old 1/11/14, 12:12 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Yes. Gas stove ftw. We have electric
Yeah, no gas up here. Electric just takes a bit of planning and works fine with stainless/copper IMO. I'm so used to it I would probably burn stuff with gas. lol
However, it was the wood stove that saved my bacon last night.
Really windy with like 30mph gusts and I had a pork loin roast in the oven about halfway done when the electric went out. Knew it would be at least an hour before the crews would get it going again. So grabbed the dutch oven with a bit of water and drippings, put it on top of the stove, and threw another log on. Came up to temp just fine. Basted with a peach glaze and enjoyed it by candle light.
Naturally, as soon as I was done, the lights came back on.

Last edited by cdynaco; 1/11/14 at 12:16 PM.
Old 1/11/14, 12:19 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Yeah, no gas up here. Electric just takes a bit of planning and works fine with stainless/copper IMO. I'm so used to it I would probably burn stuff with gas. lol
However, it was the wood stove that saved my bacon last night.
Really windy with like 30mph gusts and I had a pork loin roast in the oven about halfway done when the electric went out. Knew it would be at least an hour before the crews would get it going again. So grabbed the dutch oven with a bit of water and drippings, put it on top of the stove, and threw another log on. Came up to temp just fine. Basted with a peach glaze and enjoyed it by candle light.
Naturally, as soon as I was done, the lights came back on.
awesome! ya we had a major windstorm here last night. knocked out power all over the place. I was spared though. I keep some logs and quick-light ready just in case.

Pork loin is delicious btw. I do them once or twice a year on the BBQ. Low and slow, smothered in spices. The leftovers make awesome sandwiches
Old 1/11/14, 01:11 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
awesome! ya we had a major windstorm here last night. knocked out power all over the place. I was spared though. I keep some logs and quick-light ready just in case.

Pork loin is delicious btw. I do them once or twice a year on the BBQ. Low and slow, smothered in spices. The leftovers make awesome sandwiches
Hickory & pork ftw!

I buy a loin and cut 2 6" roasts with the rest in chops for the freezer. I like how it takes on the flavor of the spices or a fruit based glaze so well.

Sammiches for game time!
Old 1/11/14, 01:51 PM

LMAO! truly it's a bit of a myth that good food can't be served quickly and inexpensively. Fresh produce is not expensive at all. Our backyard garden supplies us with fresh herbs, garlic, tomatoes, carrots etc. I use fresh pasta from a local italian shop when possible but even that's not expensive. The key for me is GAS stove and oven. direct control over the heat makes preparation of anything i post, 30 minutes or less. Steak, chicken and fish is bought from various places depending on what's in season. I get most of my beef from costco. Swordfish, halibut etc i buy according to season at the local fish markets, since i live in a port city. I am not a formally trained chef, but have many friends that are. Either in catering or restaurant biz. gas, good pans and spices are the magic 3 in my opinion. the rest is timing.
Halibut, swordfish, tuna, beef filet, etc. I've seen fancy dishes just about every night from you. Figuring a family of four, yeah there's nothing inexpensive about it. I cook as much as possible and do the grocery shopping for my meals. I also use electric. It's just technique. I can make do with any cookware since I'm very limited at work with cookware. The great thing about living down here is we've learned through Cajun and Soul food that cheap ingredients can be unbelievable. Although I'm a sucker for the fancy stuff too.
Old 1/11/14, 02:01 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Hickory & pork ftw!

I buy a loin and cut 2 6" roasts with the rest in chops for the freezer. I like how it takes on the flavor of the spices or a fruit based glaze so well.

Sammiches for game time!
I like a pork loin, but I prefer the assorted chops. Little more fat and a bone makes them a lot more flavorful. I like them breaded and fried with gravy and biscuits for breakfast, or I use just a little Dale's on them, sprinkle them with Cavender's then bake them covered until almost done to keep them moist, then brush them with bbq sauce from my buddy's joint and finish them on the grill for supper.
Old 1/11/14, 02:02 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Halibut, swordfish, tuna, beef filet, etc. I've seen fancy dishes just about every night from you. Figuring a family of four, yeah there's nothing inexpensive about it. I cook as much as possible and do the grocery shopping for my meals. I also use electric. It's just technique. I can make do with any cookware since I'm very limited at work with cookware. The great thing about living down here is we've learned through Cajun and Soul food that cheap ingredients can be unbelievable. Although I'm a sucker for the fancy stuff too.

i LUV cajun and soul food. Southwestern too
I'm experimenting with stuff like that.
Old 1/11/14, 02:09 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I'd like to have a gas stove but I'm terrified of gas, so I use electric. And I love my old cast iron skillets, came from my grandmother. I cook more in those that anything in the house.
Old 1/11/14, 02:20 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

i LUV cajun and soul food. Southwestern too
I'm experimenting with stuff like that.

I really don't get the whole trend over the last 15 years or so of calling it "soul food" and portraying it as a black thing. Its just a Southern thing in general, been eating it all my life, my whole family cooks like that, everyone I know cooks those things. Its just a staple down here. Fried chicken, pork chops, turnip and collard greens, pinto beans (a hamhock in greens and beans is a necessity), fried okra, crowder peas, cornbread, etc. Its just what we eat.
Old 1/11/14, 02:39 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I havent fired up my smoker all year. Granted its only 11 days new

I do need to tho, i got an 11lb boston butt in the freezer begging for a 36hr brine and 17 hours on the smoker.
Old 1/11/14, 02:44 PM

i LUV cajun and soul food. Southwestern too I'm experimenting with stuff like that.
I talked about him a few weeks ago but check out Chef John Folse's recipes online. He will walk you right through many great Cajun dishes.
Old 1/11/14, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I'd like to have a gas stove but I'm terrified of gas, so I use electric. And I love my old cast iron skillets, came from my grandmother. I cook more in those that anything in the house.
I've been using the ceramic coated cast iron lately. They work great and are easier to take of. Those old cast pots and pans really have to be taken care of well.
Old 1/11/14, 03:53 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

I don't like gas either. :boom:
Old 1/11/14, 03:58 PM
Post *****

I really don't get the whole trend over the last 15 years or so of calling it "soul food" and portraying it as a black thing. Its just a Southern thing in general, been eating it all my life, my whole family cooks like that, everyone I know cooks those things. Its just a staple down here. Fried chicken, pork chops, turnip and collard greens, pinto beans (a hamhock in greens and beans is a necessity), fried okra, crowder peas, cornbread, etc. Its just what we eat.
That's funny - I remember my dad in the late 60's saying the same thing. His black co-workers at the downtown StL Moog plant were always telling him about soul food. He'd tell them "man that's just good ol' southern cooking..."
Old 1/11/14, 06:12 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,662 Posts
Steak, Sweet Potatoes, Red Beets and Mixed Veggies!
Old 1/11/14, 06:13 PM

That's funny - I remember my dad in the late 60's saying the same thing. His black co-workers at the downtown StL Moog plant were always telling him about soul food. He'd tell them "man that's just good ol' southern cooking..."
As far as anyone alive can remember, it's just old fashioned southern cooking. I think soul food is just called that because most of this cooking was originated by a lot of the slaves and the poor.

Quick Reply: WHATS FOR DINNER?