Midwest Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread

Search this Thread

Old 3/17/08, 02:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by frdtch05gt
Hey everyone! I'll be doing some more work to my car tomorrow, oil change for sure, might be able to put the under-drive pulleys on. I'll have to see how things go. I need to stop by the dealer on the way to work today and get a new crank bolt, the pulleys only came with the install bolt and new alternator bolt. Not a big deal to me though, I need to go get a new cabin air filter anyway, and set up a time when they can change out my fuel pump.

Justin,
Sounds good. I didn't know our cars had cabin air filters in them...Where are they located at and how often are you supposed to change them. I just learned something.
Scott
Old 3/17/08, 02:52 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by blkstang06
My male Bulldog Dozer Dumps like Shetland pony...He has learned how to use the toilet but I still cant get him to flush! ....
I wouldn't worry about the flush, just if he could turn the exhaust fan on and wipe!!!!

but honestly ....that is one ugly dog!!!!!!
Old 3/17/08, 03:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dly
I wouldn't worry about the flush, just if he could turn the exhaust fan on and wipe!!!!

but honestly ....that is one ugly dog!!!!!!

Hey Darrell,
Come on..Come on.. Change that avatar already. We have had to look at your ugly mug for 24 hrs already. Have a heart!!
Scott
Old 3/17/08, 03:08 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

how is that.. My baby picture
Old 3/17/08, 03:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by dly
how is that.. My baby picture

I do think you had more hair back than.
Old 3/17/08, 03:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
LOL you old dudes crack me up....
Old 3/17/08, 08:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! There is a uncanny resemblance! Today, 4:08 PM #2984 dly

Attached Images  
Old 3/18/08, 04:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Morning Guys,
Got to run out of the shop early. Hey STD..is that your new adjustable upper control arm you have on order in your avatar?? Get-r-done with the shaft already!!
Old 3/18/08, 06:22 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Morning Guys,
Got to run out of the shop early. Hey STD..is that your new adjustable upper control arm you have on order in your avatar?? Get-r-done with the shaft already!!
Possibly, But not yet to many unanswered questions yet !

Last edited by blkstang06; 3/18/08 at 07:22 AM.
Old 3/18/08, 06:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I swear, you two could (should?) be brothers.
Old 3/18/08, 06:55 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Ok! 70STONEDMACH1OWNER, Here is the correct formula for setting the pinion angle on a 1 piece drive shaft lowered or not ! As posted by ''cherod.com'' and verified by Joe Heck Racing ! you where half right as usual..... leave it to me to get to the truth!!...as usual Ok, here is the pinion angle procedure for a ONE PIECE DRIVESHAFT. This procedure is not correct for the OEM 2-pc shaft. This works for lowered cars or for stock-height cars, but this is for 1-pc shafts only.

Jack up both the front and the rear of the car so you can get under both the transmission area of the car and the rear-end area. The rear suspension must be loaded. This means the rear tires must be sitting on ramps, or the rear axle tube must be supported by a lift or jackstands. The front end can be lifted however you like.

It is good if you can get the car level, but it is not required.

Get under the car and remove your 1-pc driveshaft. (or if you are installing the driveshaft for the first time, you can do this after you've got the OEM one out, and before you put the new one in).

Get your angle finder and measure the angle of the transmission output flange. Write this number down. Refer to the sketch for taking this measurement.

Move over to the rear end of the car and measure the angle of the pinion flange. Write this number down. Note that this can be tricky if you have a "triangle" shaped angle gage. If you flip the triangle over, you are now measuring angles from a different reference point--don't do that, it will mess up your results. Use a carpenter's square as shown in my sketch, so the angle gage is held in the same orientation as it was for the trans flange. If you have a "square" type of gage then just use the side of the square opposite the one you used for the trans flange.

Now adjust the LCAs so that the two angles are the same. Keep adjusting and checking until the angle at the pinion (#2) matches what you recorded for the transmission flange.

At this point the two flanges are parallel. If you are running a full racing suspension then you're done here, skip to putting the driveshaft back in.

On a typical car with minor mods, you now need to add a little negative angle. Adjust the LCAs so that they lengthen (if you are using an adjustable UCA, then shorten it instead), making the nose rear end housing dip down a little bit. Go about 2 degrees beyond the trans flange measurement. Again, this is called a negative angle but depending on how your angle gage is marked, it might not actually be a negative number by your measurements. The same thing I wrote above applies here. If you have a fully aftermarket rear end, you could run about 1 to 1.5 degrees. If you are running a common street setup with one set of control arms only, then 2 degrees or so is more appropriate.

Once your angle is set where you want it, loctite your jam nuts and torque them down. Re-install your driveshaft, and go for a test drive.

Old 3/18/08, 08:17 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Scott,
Here is yet another example of the condition you and Robert discussed yesterday. This shaft is from a '95 F150 4X4 and has almost been cut in half by the exhaust. It just came in this morning.
Attached Thumbnails Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread-dsc00452.jpg   Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread-dsc00454.jpg  
Old 3/18/08, 08:36 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Justin,
Sounds good. I didn't know our cars had cabin air filters in them...Where are they located at and how often are you supposed to change them. I just learned something.
Scott
The cabin filter is located under the pass. side cowl screen. Turn on the wipers and shut the ignition off when they are toward the driver's side, it'll make it much easier to remove the screen. Remove some push-pins under the hood at the front edge of the screen, and then pop the piece loose carefully, it's held in with metal clips. I think Ford says change the filter every 15k or so.

I had to have the guy order the bolt and the filter for me, it'll be there from the Chicago warehouse sometime this morning.
Old 3/18/08, 10:18 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Ok! 70STONEDMACH1OWNER, Here is the correct formula for setting the pinion angle on a 1 piece drive shaft lowered or not ! As posted by ''cherod.com'' and verified by Joe Heck Racing ! you where half right as usual..... leave it to me to get to the truth!!...as usual Ok, here is the pinion angle procedure for a ONE PIECE DRIVESHAFT. This procedure is not correct for the OEM 2-pc shaft. This works for lowered cars or for stock-height cars, but this is for 1-pc shafts only.

Jack up both the front and the rear of the car so you can get under both the transmission area of the car and the rear-end area. The rear suspension must be loaded. This means the rear tires must be sitting on ramps, or the rear axle tube must be supported by a lift or jackstands. The front end can be lifted however you like.

It is good if you can get the car level, but it is not required.

Get under the car and remove your 1-pc driveshaft. (or if you are installing the driveshaft for the first time, you can do this after you've got the OEM one out, and before you put the new one in).

Get your angle finder and measure the angle of the transmission output flange. Write this number down. Refer to the sketch for taking this measurement.

Move over to the rear end of the car and measure the angle of the pinion flange. Write this number down. Note that this can be tricky if you have a "triangle" shaped angle gage. If you flip the triangle over, you are now measuring angles from a different reference point--don't do that, it will mess up your results. Use a carpenter's square as shown in my sketch, so the angle gage is held in the same orientation as it was for the trans flange. If you have a "square" type of gage then just use the side of the square opposite the one you used for the trans flange.

Now adjust the LCAs so that the two angles are the same. Keep adjusting and checking until the angle at the pinion (#2) matches what you recorded for the transmission flange.

At this point the two flanges are parallel. If you are running a full racing suspension then you're done here, skip to putting the driveshaft back in.

On a typical car with minor mods, you now need to add a little negative angle. Adjust the LCAs so that they lengthen (if you are using an adjustable UCA, then shorten it instead), making the nose rear end housing dip down a little bit. Go about 2 degrees beyond the trans flange measurement. Again, this is called a negative angle but depending on how your angle gage is marked, it might not actually be a negative number by your measurements. The same thing I wrote above applies here. If you have a fully aftermarket rear end, you could run about 1 to 1.5 degrees. If you are running a common street setup with one set of control arms only, then 2 degrees or so is more appropriate.

Once your angle is set where you want it, loctite your jam nuts and torque them down. Re-install your driveshaft, and go for a test drive.

Hey STD

If your still afraid to install that shaft I know of a couple of Girl Scouts that need a Merit badge that could install it for you.
Old 3/18/08, 11:12 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by frdtch05gt
The cabin filter is located under the pass. side cowl screen. Turn on the wipers and shut the ignition off when they are toward the driver's side, it'll make it much easier to remove the screen. Remove some push-pins under the hood at the front edge of the screen, and then pop the piece loose carefully, it's held in with metal clips. I think Ford says change the filter every 15k or so.

I had to have the guy order the bolt and the filter for me, it'll be there from the Chicago warehouse sometime this morning.

Cabin Air Filter location picture...
Attached Thumbnails Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread-125_2592s.jpg  
Old 3/18/08, 11:37 AM
Cobra Member

I'm about to go change my cabin filter now, just picked it up from Ford. I also just ordered tune files for my Xcal 2 from Bamachips.
Old 3/18/08, 11:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by dly
Hey STD

If your still afraid to install that shaft I know of a couple of Girl Scouts that need a Merit badge that could install it for you.
Cool ! will they work in the nude ?.....
Old 3/18/08, 12:24 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Cool ! will they work in the nude ?.....
I don't know let me ask them. Hey Tom and Scott when you install STD;s new shaft will you work in the nude?????
Old 3/18/08, 12:27 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Old 3/18/08, 12:27 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

#3000 HeHeHe

Quick Reply: Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread