Midwest Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/08, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blkstang06
Robert, as per our phone conversation this morning! I'm am in agreement with you, I dont see how a mild drop of around a inch especially if the same same front and back can cause any significant change in the pinion angle! I personally feel that Mr.6 shafts has probably created his own problem by adding adjustable LCA's and a adjustable UCA and adjusting his tranny angle! If truth be known he as humped his rear geometry bad! I would recommend that he reinstall the factory components with your shaft and start over, one mod at a time checking his pinion Angle after each alteration.
We're in agreement with you.
Robert
Old 3/15/08, 08:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shaftmasters
Scott,
We have spoke with shops that lower Mustangs on a fairly regular basis. They have told us that they don't see how lowering the body one inch changes driveline geometry. They haven't had any complaints of driveline vibrations after installing these lowering springs. We can see how changing control arms could possibly change the geometry if they aren't made exactly the same length, especially if you install an adjustable upper control arm. I doubt that coming out of the box an adjustable upper control is already set at exactly the same length as the OEM one since you wouldn't be buying one in the first place if you weren't planning on adjusting it. It doesn't make any since why we have sold plenty of our driveshafts to customers who are lowered and haven't experienced any vibrations without changing angles, we know Mustang owners like Taco Bill who have Coast and others with Spyder shafts are lowered and vibration free who didn't have to adjust pinion angle. If lowering causes a need to adjust pinion angle to rid vibration shouldn't it cause vibration consistently
Robert
Robert,
I don't know if lowering our stangs will cause any vibration in an aftermarket driveshaft or not. But I do know for sure that lowering the rear of any car will change the pinion angle. That was your original question to us I thought. It is a simple math calculation. If I knew the length of the lower control arm, the height of the stock spring and the length from the top of the spring mount back to the front mounting point of the lower control arm I can tell you exactly what the change in the pinion angle would be. But I don't have that information. But here is what I do know. It takes .017/inch fall over 1.00 inch to make a 1 degree change. 20 X .017 = .340 So if the lower control arm is 20 inches long center to center than a 1 inch spring drop will change that angle by 2.941 degrees. And a 2.00 spring drop with change that angle by 5.88 degrees. This is not my opinion just mathamatics. So the guys that are lowering stangs that are telling you it does not change the pinion angle are incorrect I am sorry to say.
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 3/15/08 at 09:18 AM.
Old 3/15/08, 08:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Well guys I just went to the local dump or land-fill as the fancy people call it, and weighed the car.

With me (~200lbs), full audio system including a subwoofer box that I would guess weighs around 75lbs, and a 1/4 tank of gas the car weighs 3880 lbs. This is also with my 18" heavy wheels/tires.

Also today I got a discount code on modfords for M&H Tires..... anyone guess what I'll be doing in about 2 weeks?

Old 3/15/08, 08:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tom281
Darrell, register at photobucket.com (its free, you cheapskate) and upload your pix there. Then you can link them to this site, cut and paste.

As far as pinion angle, when I installed the 3.5" shaft my trans flange was at 99 and the rear flange with adaptor bolted on was at -1, so I guess this would be a 2 degree difference- whether or not its considered + or - I couldn't say LOL.

What I do know is that after having the shaft for a couple of months and now putting around 1000 miles on the car, I have a "vibration" that I believe is more harmonic- you can feel it and hear it a bit- at around 4000rpm. I thought it was only at speeds around 80+ but actually after driving it, you can tell it's there in most gears at any mph as long as your at 4000+rpm, however it just "feels" more pronounced at higher mph for some reason. I think I notice it more at the higher mph because 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear go by so quick in my car, that once you get in the 4000rpm range you're shifting very quickly after that because it rockets to redline. In 4th gear at 4000+ rpm, you're approaching 100mph and I typically don't sustain that kind of speed.
Tom,
I think you have some harmonics going on also. In 1st, 2nd&3rd gears your driveshaft wouldn't be spinning at the same rpms as your engine. Only in 4th gear(direct drive) is the driveshaft spinning at the same rpms as the engine. In overdrive your driveshaft is spinning approximately 30% faster than your engine. If 4000 rpms is the constant then the only then the driveshaft could be blamed for is possibly transmitting the harmonics. The OEM driveshaft with it's rubber element sound deadener inside it would muffle these harmonics better than any aftermarket aluminum shaft can. David and I weren't worried about your punctuation slip, anyone as ballsy as you couldn't be........? Right!
Robert
Old 3/15/08, 08:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

RIGHT, Robert...... RIGHT!
Old 3/15/08, 09:05 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well guys I just went to the local dump or land-fill as the fancy people call it, and weighed the car.

With me (~200lbs), full audio system including a subwoofer box that I would guess weighs around 75lbs, and a 1/4 tank of gas the car weighs 3880 lbs. This is also with my 18" heavy wheels/tires.

Also today I got a discount code on modfords for M&H Tires..... anyone guess what I'll be doing in about 2 weeks?

Old 3/15/08, 09:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Ah man, the speed is all in the chaps!

:gay:

Old 3/15/08, 09:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Hey I don't want to boo hoo about work to much. We have been slow in years past and have always pulled it out. But the way this economy is headed all of the manufacturers of new products seem to be in a wait and see attitude about releasing new projects to be tooled up. This past week we had to reduce some guys hours to 32hrs. And these guys are used to working 50-60 hrs week. And a program I have been working on with a stamper in Connerville Ind. since early January fell thru. The project ended up going overseas to be tooled. Just a bummer of a week.
I don't know if manufacturing is ever going to be the same here in the U.S. We stock OEM driveline parts from American Axle, Dana Corp., Meritor to name a few. In some degree all three of these are shipping some of their manufacturing overseas. Sometimes the quality is good, sometimes it is pathetic. When the quality doesn't meet our expectations we are forced to seek certain parts from other vendors. This always ends up cutting into our profit margin because the quality parts cost us more. We fear this trend is going to get worse. Greedy corporate america is sticking it to the average Joe. Not only are they paying lower wages over there, they also don't have to worry about pollution controls the way they do here. Have you seen some of the videos of the smog in China? It is so thick you can hardly see through it. Maybe our only chance is they will eventually become so sick from the pollution they are generating from the manufacturing that is robbing our jobs that they won't be able to work anymore.
Robert
Old 3/15/08, 10:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I don't know if manufacturing is ever going to be the same here in the U.S. We stock OEM driveline parts from American Axle, Dana Corp., Meritor to name a few. In some degree all three of these are shipping some of their manufacturing overseas. Sometimes the quality is good, sometimes it is pathetic. When the quality doesn't meet our expectations we are forced to seek certain parts from other vendors. This always ends up cutting into our profit margin because the quality parts cost us more. We fear this trend is going to get worse. Greedy corporate america is sticking it to the average Joe. Not only are they paying lower wages over there, they also don't have to worry about pollution controls the way they do here. Have you seen some of the videos of the smog in China? It is so thick you can hardly see through it. Maybe our only chance is they will eventually become so sick from the pollution they are generating from the manufacturing that is robbing our jobs that they won't be able to work anymore.
Robert
Yes Robert the trend is going to get worse, the fat lady has sang they just haven't shown her on the government controlled news media yet! Detroit, the steel mills of Pennsylvania these area's where the founding base of our country's manufacturing infrastructure are now dismantled and being stripped bare and its no accident! Welcome to the United States of Northern Mexico!
Old 3/15/08, 10:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Robert

Accually Robert the owner of our shop went to China of in June of 2006 looking to partner up with some shops over there so we could offer our customers tools built over there but that we would support from this side of the ocean. He took 1000 pictures while there and everyone of them looked like there was a big fog. And he was extremely impressed with the shops he saw. All of the machinery was brand new and the best of everything. He came back and said he understands with the equipment they had and the wages they paid why they are kicking our asses. We have never built a tool over there mainly because they want to do it all or nothing for the most part.
Scott

Last edited by 70MACH1OWNER; 3/15/08 at 02:43 PM.
Old 3/15/08, 11:10 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 70MACH1OWNER
Accually Robert the owner of our shop went to China of in June of 2006 looking to partner up with some shops over there so we could offer our customers tools built over there but that we would support from this side of the ocean. He took 1000 pictures while there and everyone of them looked like there was a big fog. And he was extremely impressed with the shops he saw. All of the machinery was brand new and the best of everything. He came back and said he understands with the equipment they had and the wages they paid why they are kicking our asses. We have never built a tool of there mainly because they want to do it all or nothing for the most part.
Scott
And guys with the way the Jet stream works we get to breath that fog eventually!
Old 3/15/08, 11:54 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Just testing
Old 3/15/08, 11:56 AM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

another test
Old 3/15/08, 12:11 PM
Cobra Member

Nice under hood shot!
Old 3/15/08, 12:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

By George I think he's got it!!! Another tough day at work I see Darrell!!
Old 3/15/08, 12:18 PM
dly
Legacy TMS Member

does the video work??
Old 3/15/08, 12:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

yes
Old 3/15/08, 01:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Guys- I want to do a brake upgrade but I don't want to spend a ton of dough..... I was thinking about just doing some Hawk HPS pads for now, maybe rotors and lines later. What do ya think?
Old 3/15/08, 02:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Guys- I want to do a brake upgrade but I don't want to spend a ton of dough..... I was thinking about just doing some Hawk HPS pads for now, maybe rotors and lines later. What do ya think?
Pads be good!..maybe throw in some of them there Earls SS braided brake lines there good buddy...10-4 see yah on the flip flop Bandit!.... Watch O'l Bandit run....Yee haa !!!!!!!
Old 3/15/08, 02:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Alllll righty then.......

Actually just for kicks, I sent rotorpros a PM here about pricing..... we'll see what they say.

Quick Reply: Midwest TMS'ers General Communication Thread