Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
18.18%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/16, 12:17 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Ya, I'm starting to feel the same way about my '01 Explorer. lol Need to fix the shifter, something's rattling in the front left suspension, and my darn belt is stupid squeaky whenever it's cold or damp out. Really tempted to get a Focus ST for a fun DD, but I don't want another car payment either. Same dealer had a '15 for $23k ($29k MSRP) plus they have 0% apr on 2015s right now. So tempted, but I need to save money.

What is wrong with your shifter? Indicator not showing in right place on the dash?
Old 1/31/16, 12:24 AM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
What is wrong with your shifter? Indicator not showing in right place on the dash?
It's sloppy if that makes sense. It doesn't want to go right into P all the time and I need to double check it's actually in D and not 2nd before I take off. It also won't manually shift into 1st. I looked it up online and there's supposed to be a bracket underneath the dash that comes loose. Just haven't had time to get under there and see if that's the issue.
Old 1/31/16, 12:42 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

It's sloppy if that makes sense. It doesn't want to go right into P all the time and I need to double check it's actually in D and not 2nd before I take off. It also won't manually shift into 1st. I looked it up online and there's supposed to be a bracket underneath the dash that comes loose. Just haven't had time to get under there and see if that's the issue.
There's a cable that works the indicator that breaks on that generation. It'll be in park, but the indicator on the dash will show its somewhere close to drive. When its in drive, It'll look like its somewhere between 2nd and first. I've had all that **** apart in the steering column and still couldn't fix it. I finally took it to a mechanic that I've had do most all of the work on my cars the last few years since I can't lay on my back and get in places like that.
Its a little cable, they'll have to get it from the Ford dealer. It cost me about $125 for parts and labor to get it fixed. I've had it done on both of mine a couple years ago. My Limited had it happen first, then the XLT broke shortly after.

Take it to a shop, if they want more than 125 tell them you know what it costs and they're full of crap.
Old 1/31/16, 01:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Ya, I'm starting to feel the same way about my '01 Explorer. lol Need to fix the shifter, something's rattling in the front left suspension, and my darn belt is stupid squeaky whenever it's cold or damp out. Really tempted to get a Focus ST for a fun DD, but I don't want another car payment either. Same dealer had a '15 for $23k ($29k MSRP) plus they have 0% apr on 2015s right now. So tempted, but I need to save money.
I'd love a Focus ST, but our Focus is too small for us now ...I'm pretty sure her next car is going to be the new Mazda CX-9. Beautiful car and more sport wagon than "suv" now. I've always loved Mazdas, but they're finally reaching their potential now that they're not under Ford's management, sadly. I wanted to like the new Edge and Explorer, but those are some seriously flawed vehicles. I do like them, but only because they're Fords. If I judge them unbiased, the quality is not there anymore, seats are awkward, footwell is too small, and they're ridiculously overpriced...
Old 1/31/16, 01:13 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by laserred38
I'd love a Focus ST, but our Focus is too small for us now ...I'm pretty sure her next car is going to be the new Mazda CX-9. Beautiful car and more sport wagon than "suv" now. I've always loved Mazdas, but they're finally reaching their potential now that they're not under Ford's management, sadly. I wanted to like the new Edge and Explorer, but those are some seriously flawed vehicles. I do like them, but only because they're Fords. If I judge them unbiased, the quality is not there anymore, seats are awkward, footwell is too small, and they're ridiculously overpriced...
I've put close to a million miles on Explorers through the years but when I drove that new Sport I just didn't like it. It felt weird inside, like I was sitting on a milk crate and it just didn't feel like an SUV. I liked the way it ran, but that was about it. Everything else about it just felt strange, weird ergonomics and didn't feel like you were in a true SUV. That's how I ended up with a Jeep. It actually felt like driving an SUV and it felt good and like I was used to. It may be a mistake in the long run, but so far I love it, driving it actually feels like a true SUV and its quieter, more solid, and tougher feeling than the new Explorer, as well as more luxurious.
I might regret it later, but right now I don't.
Old 1/31/16, 01:25 AM

There's a cable that works the indicator that breaks on that generation. It'll be in park, but the indicator on the dash will show its somewhere close to drive. When its in drive, It'll look like its somewhere between 2nd and first. I've had all that **** apart in the steering column and still couldn't fix it. I finally took it to a mechanic that I've had do most all of the work on my cars the last few years since I can't lay on my back and get in places like that.
Its a little cable, they'll have to get it from the Ford dealer. It cost me about $125 for parts and labor to get it fixed. I've had it done on both of mine a couple years ago. My Limited had it happen first, then the XLT broke shortly after.

Take it to a shop, if they want more than 125 tell them you know what it costs and they're full of crap.
My indicator isn't really wrong like you're describing, but it's not quite right either. It's like it doesn't want to fully engage in each gear. It feels loose. I'll see if I can take a quick video of it tomorrow.

Haven't been following the Mazda's too closely. I'm not really happy with the current line up of Fords either though. I feel like they had it perfect a few years back, but then everything got pudgy and just blah. The Explorer Sports are nice cars but those A pillars are just massive. I hate that.
I've put close to a million miles on Explorers through the years but when I drove that new Sport I just didn't like it. It felt weird inside, like I was sitting on a milk crate and it just didn't feel like an SUV. I liked the way it ran, but that was about it. Everything else about it just felt strange, weird ergonomics and didn't feel like you were in a true SUV. That's how I ended up with a Jeep. It actually felt like driving an SUV and it felt good and like I was used to. It may be a mistake in the long run, but so far I love it, driving it actually feels like a true SUV and its quieter, more solid, and tougher feeling than the new Explorer, as well as more luxurious.
I might regret it later, but right now I don't.
Jeep is really the only one left that offers an actual midsize SUV instead of a crossover. My sister probably could have gotten a good deal on a newer Escape, but they're just jacked up cars (and beyond freaking ugly).
Old 1/31/16, 01:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Sounds like we're all on the same page here. With the 2nd little one coming, I keep looking at other vehicles and keep thinking of selling my car. It really pains me. I wish I could afford to keep it as a nice fair weather only car, and have a Jeep or something like that for a daily, but it's just not in the cards at the moment.

That said, I know of instantly regret trading or selling my first brand new car, so I haven't. I also just hate Chrysler and GM buttons and materials on the interior. I love my buddy's Charger R/T, and I like the ergonomics, but I can't stand that old teal color they use for the gauges on the Wranglers. I really hope Ford brings back a crew cab Ranger for 2017. That may just be my next daily.

I'd honestly love the Ford Everest if they sold it here. Give it the 3.5TT, SRA with watts link standard, 7-passenger, panoramic roof. It would be perfect for me and I absolutely love the styling. I truly wish Ford didn't give up on the real SUV market...
Attached Thumbnails Mustangs Coast to Coast-photo14.jpg  
Old 1/31/16, 01:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Here's some CX-9 pics...
Attached Thumbnails Mustangs Coast to Coast-photo251.jpg   Mustangs Coast to Coast-photo342.jpg   Mustangs Coast to Coast-photo949.jpg  
Old 1/31/16, 01:34 AM

That's a great looking SUV. It looks like a bear though. lol
Old 1/31/16, 01:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

That's a great looking SUV. It looks like a bear though. lol
I guess I kinda see it lol. I just spent the last 10 minutes explaining the Ranger, Explorer, chicken tax, and why Americans don't buy wagons, but they'll buy "SUVs" in droves, to Janny. She actually seemed interested in car talk for once
Old 1/31/16, 02:18 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

My indicator isn't really wrong like you're describing, but it's not quite right either. It's like it doesn't want to fully engage in each gear. It feels loose. I'll see if I can take a quick video of it tomorrow.

Haven't been following the Mazda's too closely. I'm not really happy with the current line up of Fords either though. I feel like they had it perfect a few years back, but then everything got pudgy and just blah. The Explorer Sports are nice cars but those A pillars are just massive. I hate that.

Jeep is really the only one left that offers an actual midsize SUV instead of a crossover. My sister probably could have gotten a good deal on a newer Escape, but they're just jacked up cars (and beyond freaking ugly).
When I got in that new Jeep and drove it, it instantly felt lit sitting in a real SUV, like my Explorers do. It was rear wheel drive based, the seating and interior felt like an actual SUV. It just felt right when I got in it. The Explorer Sport I drove just didn't feel right, it felt like a car with a bigger body on it.

Don't get me wrong, it ran like a scalded dog, but it just didn't feel "right". I just didn't feel comfortable in it, no matter what I did, and I drove it by myself, no salesman, let me take it out alone. I can't really explain it, but it didn't feel like an SUV should. It felt like a car, but bigger. I just didn't like it. It was OK and it was actually what I wanted until I drove a Jeep and then it was over. No comparison. As soon as I got in the Jeep, I knew it was what I wanted even before I pulled out off the lot. It just felt like what I was looking for and fit me like I was used to in the old Explorers.
Old 1/31/16, 02:42 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I never liked the explorers or the expeditions. Everything felt springy to me. Seats, body, suspension all felt wrong. Chrysler did a few that felt ok but I still feel better driving a GM truck platform. Maybe it's just all the years I worked on and drove them. The only other SUV I've driven and liked the feel was the full size Lexus.
Old 1/31/16, 12:27 PM

Got the Explorer's shifter fixed. There's a little bracket under the dash with a couple bolts that needed to be tightened up. Got them nice and tight and now it works much better. Still a little loose feeling, but everything in the car feels that way. Plus I can actually shift into 1st again.

Before:

After:

And another thing, half my gauges don't work when it's cold out. Gotta wait for the car to warm up a bit.
Old 1/31/16, 12:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
I've been suffering manopause for 50+ years! I could sweat just thinking about sweating always freaking hot! If you ever hear about a man self combusting in PA it will most definitely be me! I'll be an X-Files case for sure!
I am a firm believer in spontaneous human self combustion
Old 1/31/16, 01:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I am very tempted to sell the Mustang and buy a Focus ST. I am sure I would drive it a lot more. 4 door so I could take passengers, better visibility, better sound system. But if I sold the Mustang I would probably realize that I dont need to replace it
Old 1/31/16, 01:49 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by phiggs54
I am very tempted to sell the Mustang and buy a Focus ST. I am sure I would drive it a lot more. 4 door so I could take passengers, better visibility, better sound system. But if I sold the Mustang I would probably realize that I dont need to replace it
I know what you mean. I miss the few times I would have actually driven my car but I'm ok with out it. Fun daily driver is really the best route. All other "fun" cars are temporary in my mind.
Old 1/31/16, 02:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by phiggs54
I came really close to trading mine in for an ST, but we already have a 2015 Focus SE hatch, and with one car seat, we overfilled it on a trip to Costco. If we had both car seats in, we would've had to put stuff back. If only Ford would sell us the Focus ST Estate that Europe gets I could probably make do.

Also, back in April 2014 when I ordered my Mustang, I was stuck between being responsible and ordering an ST or splurging and getting the Mustang I've always wanted. I splurged, but I also never test drove a Focus ST back then. If I had, I would've bought one. Just an utter joy to drive around town, much more fun than the Mustang because you can actually use the power. I love the Mustang, but it's so loud and fast that it just screams "arrest me."

Last night we dropped Liam off at my parents so we could have a date night for our anniversary. On the way home I started to get on it a little leaving a stop light, as we were headed to the freeway. I noticed a CHP in my side mirror a couple cars back though, and shut it down immediately. He didn't mess with us, but that feeling is constantly there with this car. Not that the ST isn't capable of getting into arrest me speeds very quickly too, but at least you can push it a little more before having to shut it down. I barely got into 2nd before I had to call it quits, just wanting to enjoy the exhaust a little.
Old 1/31/16, 03:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

This could get me to change my mind. I'm sure we could make do with that extra space.

http://m.caranddriver.com/reviews/20...t-drive-review
Attached Thumbnails Mustangs Coast to Coast-photo62.jpg   Mustangs Coast to Coast-photo423.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 1/31/16, 04:49 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,664 Posts
The new Focus RS would be nice to drive year round!
Old 1/31/16, 04:54 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Anyone seen this homeless dude that's taking credit cards now?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...n-goes-n506946

I don't have any change. That's alright, just swipe your credit card and put it on there.

Yeah, like I'm going to swipe my card with some ****stick that's living under a bridge.

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast