Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
11.11%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/16, 10:54 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 609 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Ya, I know nothing about greasing anything. One of those little assumed things everyone but you seems to know.
Most cars now don't come with grease fittings like they used to. Most of them claim to be "greased for life" but that is bull****. Well, it may be greased for life if you're only going to drive the car 80K miles. But that doesn't apply to people like me that drive an Explorer for 200-300K miles. Any time you replace a suspension component like a ball joint or tie rod end, replace it with one that has a grease fitting if possible.

Buy a grease gun and grease those fittings often. Every 20K miles at least. Its cheap and easy to do, and it extends the life of all those front suspension components.
Old 2/19/16, 11:24 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Most cars now don't come with grease fittings like they used to. Most of them claim to be "greased for life" but that is bull****. Well, it may be greased for life if you're only going to drive the car 80K miles. But that doesn't apply to people like me that drive an Explorer for 200-300K miles. Any time you replace a suspension component like a ball joint or tie rod end, replace it with one that has a grease fitting if possible.

Buy a grease gun and grease those fittings often. Every 20K miles at least. Its cheap and easy to do, and it extends the life of all those front suspension components.
Ok, Thanks. I'll be sure to look into that when I do. I haven't even put 20k on it since I bought it over two years ago. I'm somewhere around 143k right now. Hopefully has a lot of life left. *KNOCK ON WOOD*
Old 2/19/16, 11:44 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Ok, Thanks. I'll be sure to look into that when I do. I haven't even put 20k on it since I bought it over two years ago. I'm somewhere around 143k right now. Hopefully has a lot of life left. *KNOCK ON WOOD*

One of those vids I posted before showed him replacing the outer tie rod with one with a grease fitting.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 2/19/16 at 11:46 PM.
Old 2/20/16, 12:08 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

At that mileage (yours is a 5.0 right? I can't remember) your next big problem will probably be a coolant leak and it will be the timing chain cover gasket. And it ain't cheap (I can't do it myself anymore, can't get down there to do it). Cost me about $500 because its so tight and there is so much stuff to take off to do it (even the A/C lines and compressor, IIRC they have to pull a vacuum on it and put the refrigerant back in). If and when you have to do it, go ahead and let them put a new (not rebuilt) water pump on it while its apart because that will be the next thing to fail and its better to do it while all of that is apart.

I've had to put the timing chain gasket on my 5.0 twice between 140K and 210K. The replacement gasket they sell for it now just doesn't hold up like it should. Its not a horrible leak, but it gets worse. You'll know when its happening, you'll start smelling antifreeze (especially in the summer) and the coolant in the reservoir will start going down and you'll see coolant dripping off the front suspension but not see where its coming from. It will also pool up top around the front of the intake on the right side where it meets the block, probably.

I thought about letting them replace the timing chain and gears while they had it apart, but my buddy that did it (that I trust) said it looked really good, both times. If it happens again, I'll put another water pump and replace the timing chain and gears, hopefully if it happens that will be 250k - 300K.
Old 2/20/16, 12:47 AM

At that mileage (yours is a 5.0 right? I can't remember) your next big problem will probably be a coolant leak and it will be the timing chain cover gasket. And it ain't cheap (I can't do it myself anymore, can't get down there to do it). Cost me about $500 because its so tight and there is so much stuff to take off to do it (even the A/C lines and compressor, IIRC they have to pull a vacuum on it and put the refrigerant back in). If and when you have to do it, go ahead and let them put a new (not rebuilt) water pump on it while its apart because that will be the next thing to fail and its better to do it while all of that is apart.

I've had to put the timing chain gasket on my 5.0 twice between 140K and 210K. The replacement gasket they sell for it now just doesn't hold up like it should. Its not a horrible leak, but it gets worse. You'll know when its happening, you'll start smelling antifreeze (especially in the summer) and the coolant in the reservoir will start going down and you'll see coolant dripping off the front suspension but not see where its coming from. It will also pool up top around the front of the intake on the right side where it meets the block, probably.

I thought about letting them replace the timing chain and gears while they had it apart, but my buddy that did it (that I trust) said it looked really good, both times. If it happens again, I'll put another water pump and replace the timing chain and gears, hopefully if it happens that will be 250k - 300K.
Ugh. That sounds fun.
Old 2/20/16, 01:02 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Ugh. That sounds fun.
Not saying it will happen, but just going by experience and I've owned many Explorers. Its not a lot to ask really, considering the use you can get out of them. Hell, how many other vehicles go 200-300k miles? And are still running well when you get rid of them? Not many.

Heck, I've got 2 currently that I drive daily. One has 210K and the other almost 300K. And they weren't babied, they've been hammered up and down dirt Forest Service roads in the woods all over and from US coast to coast many times, up and down the highest and lowest peaks in America, from Pikes peak to Death Valley, from Key West to the Hoh Rainforest in Olympic National Park Wa. From Yellowstone to Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountain NP, Glacier NP, to Yosemite to Redwoods NP, to the Presidential Range.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 2/20/16 at 01:14 AM.
Old 2/20/16, 08:17 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I think that we should take it to mean that people who drive a Prius are crooks and criminals.
robbing themselves of the enjoyment of true driving fun
Old 2/20/16, 08:20 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Most cars now don't come with grease fittings like they used to. Most of them claim to be "greased for life" but that is bull****. Well, it may be greased for life if you're only going to drive the car 80K miles. But that doesn't apply to people like me that drive an Explorer for 200-300K miles. Any time you replace a suspension component like a ball joint or tie rod end, replace it with one that has a grease fitting if possible. Buy a grease gun and grease those fittings often. Every 20K miles at least. Its cheap and easy to do, and it extends the life of all those front suspension components.
amen! I rebuilt the front end on my truck and replaced with moog hd parts that all have fittings. So now my upper and lower ball joints can be greased as well as the sway bar end links. Also on the grease, don't get the cheap crap from autozone, get something a bit more pricy, cheap stuff you'll notice will have a thin liquid leak out of your gun, yeah that's water basically, good grease shouldn't have that quality at all.
Old 2/20/16, 09:27 AM

Not saying it will happen, but just going by experience and I've owned many Explorers. Its not a lot to ask really, considering the use you can get out of them. Hell, how many other vehicles go 200-300k miles? And are still running well when you get rid of them? Not many.

Heck, I've got 2 currently that I drive daily. One has 210K and the other almost 300K. And they weren't babied, they've been hammered up and down dirt Forest Service roads in the woods all over and from US coast to coast many times, up and down the highest and lowest peaks in America, from Pikes peak to Death Valley, from Key West to the Hoh Rainforest in Olympic National Park Wa. From Yellowstone to Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountain NP, Glacier NP, to Yosemite to Redwoods NP, to the Presidential Range.
Glad to know they last so long. Not sure how long I plan to keep mine. I really want something newer and more fun for a DD, but that's not happening for a while. It's got some rust along the bottom where the running boards are attached and a little in the rear wheel well, but otherwise it's in pretty good shape. I'd love to fix it up and put a coyote in. That would be fun. My only really complaint is how slow it is (merging onto the freeway sucks) and how it handles (it's a truck). But otherwise, I do feel comfortable driving it.

Originally Posted by Scothew
amen! I rebuilt the front end on my truck and replaced with moog hd parts that all have fittings. So now my upper and lower ball joints can be greased as well as the sway bar end links. Also on the grease, don't get the cheap crap from autozone, get something a bit more pricy, cheap stuff you'll notice will have a thin liquid leak out of your gun, yeah that's water basically, good grease shouldn't have that quality at all.
Good to know!
Old 2/20/16, 01:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Is anyone else tired of the Prius commercials yet?
I think that we should take it to mean that people who drive a Prius are crooks and criminals.
The bank robbers one? YES!
Well this might explain why I oddly had 5 Prius following me today as if they were a bandit gang out to rob the stage coach this morning when I was driving to work in the Stang.....
Old 2/20/16, 01:42 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,184 Likes on 1,630 Posts
Originally Posted by Scothew
robbing themselves of the enjoyment of true driving fun
Originally Posted by Jim74656
Well this might explain why I oddly had 5 Prius following me today as if they were a bandit gang out to rob the stage coach this morning when I was driving to work in the Stang.....
LMAO!!!
Old 2/20/16, 08:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
People who drive Priuses (sp?) are atoning for something bad they did in a previous life.
Old 2/20/16, 10:58 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Hey Scott, do you listen to Otis Redding? If not, you need to delve deep into his music, you'd dig it. Some amazing stuff in his portfolio.
Old 2/21/16, 01:29 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I filled the Jeep up today for $1.29/gal.
Old 2/21/16, 04:46 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The cheapest around here I saw was $1.45.. filled up for a total of $14
Old 2/21/16, 05:30 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Saw $1.17 in Cuero, TX yesterday
Old 2/21/16, 05:33 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
The turkey sausage capitol of Texas
Old 2/21/16, 05:43 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
That's because it's cut with wetback ****.
Old 2/21/16, 05:47 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
That's because it's cut with wetback ****.
Does that lower or raise the octane rating with all the tequila in it?
Old 2/21/16, 05:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Does that lower or raise the octane rating with all the tequila in it?
On weekends, it raises it. On weekdays, it lowers it with all the cheap mexican beer they drink instead. Just watch out for the worm getting in your fuel line.

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast