Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
16.67%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/14, 05:12 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
That's all I'm saying. And really? For the county right? Everything prior to the bold is EXACTLY what I have been saying. As for the bold - no. I'm not. And I'm in the process of working towards my own thankless agenda to put my own life on the line. Guess what, if I make it I won't be bragging that I get paid X amount of money to do whatever it is that I'll be doing. Heck he's not even going to make much more than I make now at my useless office job, so...I never said they should get paid that much. My issue lied solely with the ones that do, bragging about not doing anything and getting paid for it.
The city I think. He wanted to be a San Francisco fireman when he started out but the rule then was you had to live in San Francisco to be a SF fireman and there's no way he could afford that. Last I heard he lives in Concord because Alameda isn't the greatest of neighborhoods

He's a great guy btw

Married a woman with two little babies and adopted them. Then the ***** cheated on him and took off. Guess she couldn't take the time alone. He keeps the kids and raises them. Now ones a marine over seas and the other is a fireman in the same department. He does it because he loves it and it's a respected profession. He would never do anything else.

He let me climb the ladder truck years ago when we went to visit.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 7/31/14 at 05:15 PM.
Old 7/31/14, 05:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seeing things in pictures, film and seeing them in person, are two completely different things.

As for the firefighters and police, all my respect to them. I know I couldn't/wouldn't want to do some of the things they have to do.
Old 7/31/14, 05:44 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Just put mine in the oven, added 1/2 tsp of vanilla this time. We'll see how it turns out.
Old 7/31/14, 05:46 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
LOL at Jill and Lee trading recipes throughout all the arguing going on.
Old 7/31/14, 05:59 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
now I want pie!
Old 7/31/14, 06:06 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by shurtual86
now I want pie!
I want chocolate cake
Old 7/31/14, 06:14 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I've got carrot cake at home.
Old 7/31/14, 06:17 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple
They're delicious as usual, but I'm not getting much of the vanilla but I do think they're better than last time. Gonna try a whole tsp next time.

Odd thing though, for some reason they stuck to the wrapper quite a bit. I sprayed them with Pam just like last time. And the part that stuck to wrapper was delicious, kind of sticky and sugary. The mix did seem much thicker this time for some reason, not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Only differences in what I did this time from last was that I used some fresh eggs from a boy down the road instead of store bought, and the brown sugar I used was super fresh out of a just opened bag so it might have packed more into a measuring cup than what I used last time that I had to break up because I'd had it a while. And the vanilla, and I don't see how that could have had anything to do with it.

Any ideas about that?
Old 7/31/14, 06:55 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Well I already responded with my opinion and moved on from it. No sense beating a dead horse. People are entitled to their opinions

They're delicious as usual, but I'm not getting much of the vanilla but I do think they're better than last time. Gonna try a whole tsp next time.

Odd thing though, for some reason they stuck to the wrapper quite a bit. I sprayed them with Pam just like last time. And the part that stuck to wrapper was delicious, kind of sticky and sugary. The mix did seem much thicker this time for some reason, not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Only differences in what I did this time from last was that I used some fresh eggs from a boy down the road instead of store bought, and the brown sugar I used was super fresh out of a just opened bag so it might have packed more into a measuring cup than what I used last time that I had to break up because I'd had it a while. And the vanilla, and I don't see how that could have had anything to do with it.

Any ideas about that?
What kind of spray did you use? I wonder if it makes a difference if you use the "baking" spray that has flour?

And I was also wondering how they would turn out with self rising flour instead of all purpose flour

Last edited by 08GTCandyApple; 7/31/14 at 07:04 PM.
Old 7/31/14, 07:15 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple
Well I already responded with my opinion and moved on from it. No sense beating a dead horse. People are entitled to their opinions

What kind of spray did you use? I wonder if it makes a difference if you use the "baking" spray that has flour?

And I was also wondering how they would turn out with self rising flour instead of all purpose flour
I just used regular Pam.

LOL, I was just talking about that to the ol' lady a bit ago. Wondering if they would rise up and be fluffy like a typical muffin. Not sure if it would be as good though, I like the dense sweetness of them like they are. Still might try it sometime though just to see.
Old 7/31/14, 07:25 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

I just used regular Pam.

LOL, I was just talking about that to the ol' lady a bit ago. Wondering if they would rise up and be fluffy like a typical muffin. Not sure if it would be as good though, I like the dense sweetness of them like they are. Still might try it sometime though just to see.
I wonder what would happen if it was 50/50 mix of the two flours.....hmmmm, I've never tried mixing them before
Old 7/31/14, 07:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow really? Regular ignorant posts huh? I admit that first post wasn't as thought out as I intended, and I fully explained my opinion down the thread, but come on man. And no, he doesn't live at the station. He is going into the academy for the second time because they weren't hiring the first time he went through. He is part time right now and a part time hospital tech.

The only ignorance being thrown around here is the support of the bad apple douchebags flaunting the salary that they're getting with their down time. If you read what I've said, no where did I say I expect them to do anything different with their down time waiting for the next emergency - I am appalled you guys support ANYone let alone our first responders flaunting that they're getting paid to sit on their ***.
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
My brother in law is a captain in Alameda, CA

He doesn't make $80k

If the guy you're talking about openly says he gets to sit around and make $80k doing nothing then he sounds like a douche. There are douches everywhere. I don't talk about what I make to anyone. That's just not good manners.

I'm not going to throw any names around nor am i going to identify how i knew this person. But there was someone in my life that I personally knew that was a Firefighter that was a danger to himself, his fellow firefighters and anyone else around him.

he regularly drank on the job and drove that truck drunk. he did it with a suspended license and was as arrogant as could be. did that for years on end and still earned himself a full pension.

this though isn't a job specific thing to firefighters. i think they deserve to be compensated for the risks involved.

but there are enough horror stories as well. this is anywhere though. I got what you mean Patrick. you aren't disrespecting the profession. you're knocking the GUY that happens to be pursing that line of work.
Old 7/31/14, 08:15 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Really Scott? I grew up as a police officer's son. You don't think I've seen stuff? You don't think it was hard growing up with my dad working graves most my life, never home for holidays, never letting me go trick or treating with my cousins because some psycho *might* put poison in the candy, or go watch fireworks because they *might* malfunction?
Ok I'll bite since I'm in a fighting mood ATM. First off, I respect the hell out of your dad for the service he's done. And if you've seen some stuff, then that is nothing compared to the stuff he didn't let you see or do. I envy Al at times as he doesn't do any ems, mva, actual house fires, etc. When you've done stuff and seen stuff first hand, then it will change your entire perspective on the jobs these guys do, both law enforcement and fire (not even going into the stuff our military deals with, it's even greater).

But not only will it change your perspective on those jobs but it ultimately affects your life, your personality, your emotions. After so much you become cold and numb to things. You know you should be happy or sad about something and you just aren't. You are just there. You become so accustomed to bad that when something tragic happens, you just react normally like it's an everyday thing, and that's the case because it is. It is normal to you.

For example. I was the first ems on scene to a motor cycle wreck in the middle of the night. Get there and find a guy laying in the middle of the road. That guy just happened to me my dad. Someone had dropped a large metal pipe across the road, he came home and hit it. It slung him over the handlebars and he landed face first into pavement. He was wearing a half helmet, thankfully as had it been a full it would have probably cause too much resistance and instead of only fractures in his neck, the er trauma dr said it would have snapped it clean in half.

The point to this is, I showed up and started working on him as if it was a total stranger. Not once to this day did it shake me or rattle me. I never missed a heart beat and never was excited.

The job makes you cold and desensitized. Is it for everyone, no way. Is it worth making 80k a year and sitting on your tail for 99% of the time? Yes it is. Cause that 1% when he has to work, it's some of the worst possible stuff you can imagine.

Edit: yes I know the point you are trying to make about his boasting and bragging. He sounds young and stupid for that, but hopefully you'll understand a bit more why I took offense to the way you came about this topic.

Last edited by Scothew; 7/31/14 at 08:30 PM.
Old 7/31/14, 08:27 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Having talked with Scott before, I feel it's similar to talking with soldiers about their duty. You can tell it's a dark spot that they don't want to go into it. First responders don't want to talk about what they see in the same way soldiers don't want to answer that "Did you kill anyone" ignorant question. I don't have any first hand experience, nor do I want any. Those guys and girls are worth every bit of money they're paid, even if it means they do absolutely nothing.

Your friend is an asshat for bragging on what he makes, but don't equate that to him being a firefighter.
Old 7/31/14, 08:32 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
I hear ya man. I'm glad I only have to respond to fire. Even if it's a giant industrial chemical fire. It's just fire and chemicals. No blood and guts. No real human aspect except the guys fighting next to you. For us it's just a battle with a big red and yellow monster. And that's quite enough for me.
Old 7/31/14, 08:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
I want chocolate cake
Yes! Me to.

Mustang, for the fire fighter in all of us.
Attached Thumbnails Mustangs Coast to Coast-image-939561944.jpg  

Last edited by GrnT; 7/31/14 at 08:37 PM.
Old 7/31/14, 08:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Posted by Scothew
For example. I was the first ems on scene to a motor cycle wreck in the middle of the night. Get there and find a guy laying in the middle of the road. That guy just happened to me my dad. Someone had dropped a large metal pipe across the road, he came home and hit it. It slung him over the handlebars and he landed face first into pavement. He was wearing a half helmet, thankfully as had it been a full it would have probably cause too much resistance and instead of only fractures in his neck, the er trauma dr said it would have snapped it clean in half.
The point to this is, I showed up and started working on him as if it was a total stranger.
Posted by AlsCobra
I hear ya man. I'm glad I only have to respond to fire. Even if it's a giant industrial chemical fire. It's just fire and chemicals. No blood and guts. No real human aspect except the guys fighting next to you. For us it's just a battle with a big red and yellow monster. And that's quite enough for me
Being a 33+ year career firefighter with the light at the retirement tunnel shining a little brighter every day (January 31, 2015 is my target date), I can relate.

Volunteer, paid on call or career firefighter, the mark of a true professional is the ability to turn off the "personal side" and go into "professional mode" despite the situation. In my career, I've done CPR on a close family friend (she didn't make it), responded to medicals and MVAs involving friends, brother firefighters and family as well as command a 2 alarm fire at my brother's in laws residence.

Scott and Al... I have my own section on a website called "Backstep Firefighter". I write under the column "Chief Concerns". I invite to you to visit the site and read not only my musings but that of my good friends as well. It can be found at www.backstepfirefighter.com

Last edited by DaGonz; 7/31/14 at 08:59 PM.
Old 7/31/14, 09:24 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Thanks gonz, will check it out
Old 7/31/14, 09:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
MCTC
I have posted 3996.
Old 7/31/14, 10:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Scothew
Ok I'll bite since I'm in a fighting mood ATM. First off, I respect the hell out of your dad for the service he's done. And if you've seen some stuff, then that is nothing compared to the stuff he didn't let you see or do. I envy Al at times as he doesn't do any ems, mva, actual house fires, etc. When you've done stuff and seen stuff first hand, then it will change your entire perspective on the jobs these guys do, both law enforcement and fire (not even going into the stuff our military deals with, it's even greater). But not only will it change your perspective on those jobs but it ultimately affects your life, your personality, your emotions. After so much you become cold and numb to things. You know you should be happy or sad about something and you just aren't. You are just there. You become so accustomed to bad that when something tragic happens, you just react normally like it's an everyday thing, and that's the case because it is. It is normal to you. For example. I was the first ems on scene to a motor cycle wreck in the middle of the night. Get there and find a guy laying in the middle of the road. That guy just happened to me my dad. Someone had dropped a large metal pipe across the road, he came home and hit it. It slung him over the handlebars and he landed face first into pavement. He was wearing a half helmet, thankfully as had it been a full it would have probably cause too much resistance and instead of only fractures in his neck, the er trauma dr said it would have snapped it clean in half. The point to this is, I showed up and started working on him as if it was a total stranger. Not once to this day did it shake me or rattle me. I never missed a heart beat and never was excited. The job makes you cold and desensitized. Is it for everyone, no way. Is it worth making 80k a year and sitting on your tail for 99% of the time? Yes it is. Cause that 1% when he has to work, it's some of the worst possible stuff you can imagine. Edit: yes I know the point you are trying to make about his boasting and bragging. He sounds young and stupid for that, but hopefully you'll understand a bit more why I took offense to the way you came about this topic.
I absolutely see your point of view. That's why I didn't completely snap at your first reply, and instead invited it because I could tell there was more to it (not to mention your position on TMS, but we are here having a discussion amongst men and I was all for it). I also didn't mean to incite the fighting mood, as when it comes down to it, fire and pd are (generally...) on the same team here. I respect the hell out of the guys that respect the job. I would crucify those who don't. And to be honest, that goes for ANY job.

My dad fortunately never had to shoot anyone, but he drew his weapon countless times (we live in the city between Oakland and Hayward) and he has brought home some of the most terrible accident pictures. Yes, they're pictures, but that doesn't mean I haven't seen or experienced stuff too. It takes control over your emotions to do these kinds of jobs - you're right, it does change you. It darkens your soul. You do feel numb. You have to, to make sure you do your job and get home safe.

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I'm sure you did what you were trained to do though. Some people just don't appreciate how far they have come or what these jobs entail. Thank you for seeing my point. Like I said, my initial post about the subject didn't entirely convey what I was saying.

Funny this was posted on Jalopnik today...

http://code3.jalopnik.com/100-things...eir-1613486119

That last one, my dad engrained in me from a very young age, and most jobs I've had have had some kind of policy along the same lines. Guys like my "buddy," who disregard that line, shouldn't be in the profession.
Attached Thumbnails Mustangs Coast to Coast-image-3834740986.jpg   Mustangs Coast to Coast-image-4186264319.jpg   Mustangs Coast to Coast-image-202811172.jpg  

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast