Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
18.18%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/14, 12:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Ridiculous
Old 7/30/14, 12:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I may call them when I have a fire, but having a friend that's going into the fire academy soon, I have even less respect for a lot of firefighters than I do for law enforcement. He literally sits around and does nothing and gets paid $80k a year to do so, even as a EMT and reserve firefighter right now. He works out, eats, sleeps, works out. That's it. And the firefighters get all the credit with the community.
Old 7/30/14, 02:29 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 196 Likes on 128 Posts

Is that anywhere near you? I hope not!
Originally Posted by laserred38
I may call them when I have a fire, but having a friend that's going into the fire academy soon, I have even less respect for a lot of firefighters than I do for law enforcement. He literally sits around and does nothing and gets paid $80k a year to do so, even as a EMT and reserve firefighter right now. He works out, eats, sleeps, works out. That's it. And the firefighters get all the credit with the community.
Wow....that's pretty harsh. I hope it never happens, but if you ever have a fire or need them, I hope they are sitting idle and not too busy somewhere else that it takes them too long to respond to you. Just my $.02

I know I wouldn't be running into a burning building like they do. I'd be running in the opposite direction.
Old 7/30/14, 02:37 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple
Is that anywhere near you? I hope not!
5 miles upwind.
Old 7/30/14, 02:53 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

5 miles upwind.
Too close. I hope they get it under control soon.
Old 7/30/14, 03:18 PM
Post *****

Too close. I hope they get it under control soon.
Definitely too close. It only takes a good wind and poof! it's thousands of acres.

Lot of lightning late afternoon yesterday and then a hard rain but only for about an hour. Hopefully that was enough to put out any strikes and maybe helped that one - which they dilly'd around until it got to a hundred acres. If it reaches the Wilderness Area they will let it burn with only a few hand crews because "it's natural".

Already heard thunder a few minutes ago. They show T-storms/red flag through the weekend.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/30/14 at 03:26 PM.
Old 7/30/14, 04:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Wow....that's pretty harsh. I hope it never happens, but if you ever have a fire or need them, I hope they are sitting idle and not too busy somewhere else that it takes them too long to respond to you. Just my $.02 I know I wouldn't be running into a burning building like they do. I'd be running in the opposite direction.
Like I said, I would still call them if I had a fire, but honestly I'd have no problem running into a burning building if it were to save someone/my animals.

My opinion is based on direct experience though - firefighters get all the credit within the community, and law enforcement gets zero credit. Of course firefighters aren't firing 100 rounds at cars on the freeway, but your tax dollars are not hard at work going to the local fire station. Just look at Charlie's scenario.

And I know there are FFs on here, my opinion doesn't apply to you guys lol. It's more so geared to the bad apples that I know - there's bad apples in every profession.
Old 7/30/14, 04:29 PM
Post *****

Well as is typical of our 21st century, its not the firefighters, or workers, that are typically the problem. It's the dumbaszes in the "bureaucracy". You know, the work prevention departments of our ever expanding do-nothing government?

Received this from the local community email after my complaining of their delay.
Guess its already into the Wilderness Area. Aside from scarring a beautiful area (hence the designated Wilderness! ), it is upwind of our community with a few hundred year round homes, prob another hundred vacation cabins, and resorts. You just don't let fires run in an area like this in any summer - esp one of the driest on record!

<It’s my understanding that several agencies had fire-fighting equipment in the vicinity, ready to spring into action, as soon as the approval came to enter the wilderness area. That green light does seem to take a long time. But it’s better than it was even 2 years ago. So they got on it as soon as our beauracracy allowed. And that too is clearly the root of the problem.>

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/30/14 at 04:30 PM.
Old 7/30/14, 04:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well as is typical of our 21st century, its not the firefighters, or workers, that are typically the problem. It's the dumbaszes in the "bureaucracy". You know, the work prevention departments of our ever expanding do-nothing government? Received this from the local community email after my complaining of their delay. Guess its already into the Wilderness Area. Aside from scarring a beautiful area (hence the designated Wilderness! ), it is upwind of our community with a few hundred year round homes, prob another hundred vacation cabins, and resorts. You just don't let fires run in an area like this in any summer - esp one of the driest on record! <It舗s my understanding that several agencies had fire-fighting equipment in the vicinity, ready to spring into action, as soon as the approval came to enter the wilderness area. That green light does seem to take a long time. But it舗s better than it was even 2 years ago. So they got on it as soon as our beauracracy allowed. And that too is clearly the root of the problem.>
Well...yeah. But I can still cast blame on those that milk the system and brag about getting paid to do nothing. I don't speak I'll of those willing and waiting. I speak ill of those sitting with their thumbs up their ***** and not trying to make a difference. I got fired from Tesla because I had the ***** to stand up to the VP of Service and tell him that forcing us to save face and tell blatant lies to our owners and the media was WRONG. So be it. Better off not working for a company like that. Now that I have a family, it's a little harder and I have to tow the line, even if I don't like it, but at least I feel guilt if what I'm doing is crap - those that I speak of, including my "buddy," feel no shame in what they do. That is a disgrace to the badge and to yourself, IMO of course. If you want to live your life like that, go right ahead, but for me - no thanks.
Old 7/30/14, 07:55 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Hey Jill,

Saw someone talking about this on a travel show earlier and had to look up the recipe. Sounds pretty good, I might give it a shot soon.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/rec...leston-kitchen

I think I'll make some of those pecan pie muffins tomorrow, gonna try and remember to add the vanilla this time and see how it turns out.
Old 7/30/14, 08:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's Be Cops was pretty funny, I'd recommend it if you want to have a couple laughs.

Last edited by shurtual86; 7/30/14 at 08:28 PM.
Old 7/30/14, 08:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shurtual86
Let's Be Cops was pretty funny, I'd recommend it if you want to have a couple laughs.
I want to see that movie, you know some a**holes going to try that after seeing it though.
Old 7/31/14, 10:05 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Hi everyone sleeping:
Old 7/31/14, 12:35 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Hey Jill,

Saw someone talking about this on a travel show earlier and had to look up the recipe. Sounds pretty good, I might give it a shot soon.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/rec...leston-kitchen

I think I'll make some of those pecan pie muffins tomorrow, gonna try and remember to add the vanilla this time and see how it turns out.
Yum....that looks good. And now I have a hankerin' pecan pie muffins dangit! I'll have to see if I have time to make a batch before I leave on Saturday.
Old 7/31/14, 12:51 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Wow.. be glad i dont have time to respond to this.
Old 7/31/14, 01:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Scothew
In the least combative sense possible, I'd like you to respond...

I'm just stating my opinion, based on my own personal observations, closely knowing one FF and having many acquaintances (his friends) who are all the same way. I'm not saying it's like that everywhere, but for the ones I know, I have little respect for. They don't respect the job. They talk all this "brotherhood and heroism" non sense in one breath, and the next is "I get paid to sit on my **** and work out all day." I wouldn't respect anyone who said that, not just FFs - the majority that I know, talk like that. That's all I'm saying.

I'd say I'm pretty impartial too, as my dad originally wanted to go into fire and told me he wished he did, as it would've been a much less stressful and/or dangerous career. I even wanted to be a FF growing up - I wore out 3 VHS copies of Backdraft as a kid.

Quite honestly, the good old days of service, in general, are gone, whether it's law enforcement, fire, EMT, etc.

I'd still like to have your opinion though...
Old 7/31/14, 01:12 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Well Scott doesn't get paid anything

He's a volunteer so that kind of becomes a moot point

He does it to protect and serve his community and neighbors and family because he's a good citizen
Old 7/31/14, 01:15 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Well Scott doesn't get paid anything

He's a volunteer so that kind of becomes a moot point

He does it to protect and serve his community and neighbors and family because he's a good citizen
Even for those on payroll, the nature of the job is to 'sit and wait'. Which is a good thing right? I realize they do a lot of training in between, but thankfully there aren't non-stop fires, so there is a lot of 'stand-by' time. No way around that.

As for someone bragging about doing little while being on the taxpayer's dime, those thoughts are best not expressed because we taxpayers are a little touchy about our ever increasing property tax being used wisely.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/31/14 at 01:17 PM.
Old 7/31/14, 01:20 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Even for those on payroll, the nature of the job is to 'sit and wait'. Which is a good thing right? I realize they do a lot of training in between, but thankfully there aren't non-stop fires, so there is a lot of 'stand-by' time. No way around that.
I've known firemen and women. Ones of Zoe's best friend's mom is a fire captain that's been on the job 20 years. I've built houses for 3 other firemen and numerous cops and soldiers.

For those that have it as a career it seems to me it takes a special type of personality.

I will say this. When my house is on fire and me and or my family are inside I want that crazy son of a ***** hero with the type a personality who's gonna barge in and save my ***. They serve for whatever reason. It's not black and white. They are not selfless but for whatever reason they do what we won't and that's run into the burning building.
Old 7/31/14, 01:20 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Scothew
I must have missed this post. Patrick that was the most ignorant post you've made in a while. And that compared to your regular ignorant posts. Your friend stays in shape and practically lives at the station. So yes he eats and sleeps there. Just waiting for the call to jump straight into a burning building to save lives and property. If you ever get a chance to fight a fire, you would see why everyone doesn't do it for a living. You would also see why he works out often to stay in shape. It's great to hear that some people actually get paid well to do that job. Out here there are mostly volunteer only departments and those guys will jump into a fire whenever the call comes out for no pay at all. The skill, the experience, the training these guys go through to properly fight a fire is insane. Every time you respond, you realize quickly that you might not be coming home. It's like going toe to toe with the devil himself. Just be glad your buddy is one of the few brave or insane enough to take on a career like this. I'm sure Scott can add a lot more since I don't choose to fight fires but I'm pretty much forced to. Just happy I don't have to do it very often.

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast