Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

What have you done to/with your Boss 302 this week?

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/11, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well Done! Looks good! I'm In!
Old 6/28/11, 04:39 PM
Cobra Member

Gary, That is such a great, yet simple mod that I'll be doing as well--> Thanks for sharing.
Old 6/28/11, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LQQK
Gary, That is such a great, yet simple mod that I'll be doing as well--> Thanks for sharing.
Agreed, brilliant - definitely doing this.
Old 6/28/11, 07:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well thanks for the compliments. I am anxious to test it on the track. Drew had a good suggestion trying back to back sessions one taping off the openings and one without the tape on the same day under the same ambient conditions to see if ECT tracks or shows an improvement.
Old 6/28/11, 09:16 PM
FR500 Member

Gary, I think you could get even better flow out of those holes if you could open them up a bit more, and especially if you chamfer the leading edges. A Unibit would be the perfect way to do this.
Old 6/28/11, 09:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Ok the new wing is on It is so much more massive (but not heavy) than the stock one, and I'm excited about the potential aero benefits at the track. I know there's been some discussion about using the GT500 spoiler as well, so I took some side by side shots comparing the two:
Wing looks awesome! I have one coming as well. Did you drill the extra holes or just use the existing ones?
Old 6/29/11, 04:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by DA712
Wing looks awesome! I have one coming as well. Did you drill the extra holes or just use the existing ones?
We drilled the additional holes
Old 6/29/11, 08:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
Gary, I think you could get even better flow out of those holes if you could open them up a bit more, and especially if you chamfer the leading edges. A Unibit would be the perfect way to do this.
Ok interesting. I hadn't heard of a unibit before but Googled it and think I understand the concept. A couple questions though. First, how do you get the bit to stop at the "step" you want? Second, I'm not sure how much more material I can take out without weaking it too much where it would easily crack under common track impacts like tire chunks and small rocks. I put a 5/16" bit up to the hole and it's going to take out part of the raised structure of the honeycomb, thus weakening it. Whether it's too much, I can't tell without trying it, but I'd rather have it functional and strong, than go too far obviously.

I'm certainly no expert in airflow, but does the chamfering reduce drag/increase flow through the hole? It seems it would funnel in more air than can pass through the hole. Again, total newbie on those concepts. Thanks.
Old 6/29/11, 09:02 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

A countersink bit might work as well. The one I have doesn't have a long drill bit on it like the ones in the link. I purchased it at Lowe's.

http://www.google.com/search?q=count...w=1280&bih=822
Old 6/29/11, 09:52 AM
FR500 Member

First, how do you get the bit to stop at the "step" you want?
Manually. One trick people sometimes use is to wrap the drill bit with tape, and drill until the tape is about to touch the surface of the part. Taping a Unibit is a bit more effort though.

Second, I'm not sure how much more material I can take out without weaking it too much where it would easily crack under common track impacts like tire chunks and small rocks.
It is obviously hard to know that for sure. I am not suggesting that you take a much larger bit to enlarge the holes, this one has an intermediate size. The chamfer for the next larger size can be used to make the chamfer for the holes. The size of the chamfer for the bit in the first picture is too small for this though. The one in the second pic would be better, however it doesn't have the intermediate size that you would want.

Because they only have one flute, Unibits are GREAT for making very clean and round holes.

I'm certainly no expert in airflow, but does the chamfering reduce drag/increase flow through the hole? It seems it would funnel in more air than can pass through the hole.
This article will explain a bit of why the sharp corner reduces flow. This is particularly important in this case because the holes are so small. The effective area is reduced by quite a margin. Carefully blending the leading edge of the hole can do a lot to minimize this effect.

This is why all properly designed velocity stacks have a trumpet-like shape to them. The ideal edge shape is a smooth radius, but unless you have a nice router bit handy, chamfering with a drill bit will have to do.

Last edited by PTRocks; 6/29/11 at 09:57 AM.
Old 6/29/11, 10:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good info guys, but we're not talking about an f22 here. The extra effort to chamfer or expand the holes likely won't have any measurable effect vs.what's already been done.
Old 6/29/11, 10:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
Manually. One trick people sometimes use is to wrap the drill bit with tape, and drill until the tape is about to touch the surface of the part. Taping a Unibit is a bit more effort though.
I was just out at a job site checking on an installation and one of my guys told me that's what they do when countersinking into furniture. He said you do have to watch out because the tape will move on the bit.
Old 6/29/11, 10:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Good info guys, but we're not talking about an f22 here. The extra effort to chamfer or expand the holes likely won't have any measurable effect vs.what's already been done.
yea I know. I'm going to think on it before tearing into it any further.
Old 6/29/11, 11:42 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Good info guys, but we're not talking about an f22 here.
Are too!! So THERE!

Old 6/29/11, 12:45 PM
V6 Member

Finally back in country and picked up 0771 on Monday. Before I took possession I had the dealer install the BOSS LS gauge pack and a clear bra as part of original sale.
Attached Images    
Old 6/29/11, 12:58 PM
V6 Member

looks great! Got my guages like yours,but dont have the car yet....
Old 6/29/11, 01:46 PM
GT Member

Ok the new wing is on It is so much more massive (but not heavy) than the stock one, and I'm excited about the potential aero benefits at the track. I know there's been some discussion about using the GT500 spoiler as well, so I took some side by side shots comparing the two:
It looks nice, but what areo benefits are you expecting? 50-60lbs help on high speed corner exit? Too bad it's not adjustable.

Dave
Old 6/29/11, 01:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by iDrive
It looks nice, but what areo benefits are you expecting? 50-60lbs help on high speed corner exit? Too bad it's not adjustable.

Dave
Can't say for sure other than Ford Racing engineered it for the car to provide more downforce. Whether I'll be able to tell or not is debatable. Turn 1 and 2 at BIR are very high speed corners (Turn one entry is almost 150 and currently can maintain about 140) and 2 is about 120 (no banking). A lot of the mid-lower hp cars can flat foot through 1 and some through 2, so I'm looking to pick up time there if possible.

Plus yes IMO it looks much better. So.....for $268 + paint if that's all I get I'm still a happy camper.
Old 6/29/11, 02:19 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by iDrive

Dave
The additional downforce should be good for at least 1 MPH. I doubt any of us will be driving our Boss cars to their full potential but we might as well look good trying.
Old 6/29/11, 02:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
The additional downforce should be good for at least 1 MPH. I doubt any of us will be driving our Boss cars to their full potential but we might as well look good trying.
Totally agree looking good , but gaining 1 mph around a corner at the cost of X% drag everywhere else. Makes you go .

Results should be greater with a splitter/wing combo. A wing in itself will tend to add understeer (push). Whether Gary's stock spring/bar/shock Boss could use a little high speed understeer remains to be seen (or seat of the pants measured).

Nevertheless, it still looks sweet!

Dave

Last edited by iDrive; 6/29/11 at 02:39 PM.

Quick Reply: What have you done to/with your Boss 302 this week?