Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

What have you done to/with your Boss 302 this week?

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/11, 06:59 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9
Looks great! You know this is just going to make the wait longer
Probably. I waited until a week after my car was built thinking it would ship but it hasn't.
Old 6/25/11, 08:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I did a 200 mile (over & back) road trip to my hometown today to give my mom and dad a ride in my Boss. My sister and bro-in-law were in town so I also got to take them for a spin. I took my dad first and when I went to take my mom he asked her if she wanted to take a sedative first. She said no, but stated that she was taking her purse in case we crashed so they could identify her body.
Old 6/25/11, 11:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by phiggs54
I did a 200 mile (over & back) road trip to my hometown today to give my mom and dad a ride in my Boss. My sister and bro-in-law were in town so I also got to take them for a spin. I took my dad first and when I went to take my mom he asked her if she wanted to take a sedative first. She said no, but stated that she was taking her purse in case we crashed so they could identify her body.
Reminds me of when my sister learned to drive. Wore a bike helmet. Inside the car. All the way to school lol
Old 6/26/11, 12:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Probably. I waited until a week after my car was built thinking it would ship but it hasn't.
That was the hardest part for me too! Now I'm waiting for the dealer to finish the pdi & installing the LS parts, im ok. As long as I get it on Monday!
Old 6/26/11, 02:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Stainless steel Brake lines installed

I pulled out the StopTech Stainless Steel brakes lines to look the the content. (this is one set)
What have you done to/with your Boss 302 this week?-dscn1591.jpg
The black plug is to put into the old brake line to keep Brake fluid from running out. I still don't know what the 2 black rubber spacers/ gromets are for.
The black and silver bracket is used to attach the top of the brake line to the L bracket. The factory L bracket (attachemnt point) sticks out away from the car about 1 inch further than the after market. You then must force the rigid barke line closer to the wheel well wall. Its a bit disconcerting but it did reach, finally. The Maximum Motorsports kit looks exactly the same as the StopTech based on the photo's on the MM Install instructions.
I had to cut away a bit of the black plastic shroud, only on the drivers side. That was no problem.
What have you done to/with your Boss 302 this week?-dscn1594.jpg
The hardest part was that the sliver bracket with the black sleeve was miss-shapen. When you squeezed it closed around the end of the brake line, the holes did not line up. I had to pull it off and wrestle with it several times before it lined up properly. Be sure you run the new brake line above/over the anti-lock line, it's that way from the factory and it secures together (zip ties) a bit cleaner. Of course I did it the other way first.
What have you done to/with your Boss 302 this week?-dscn1597.jpg
Now I just have to bleed the brakes. Everyone is gone at my house today and I bleed them the old fashon way, so I'm sutck for the moment.
I hope this helps anyone else that will be doing this themselves.
Just finished Bleeding them. I took her for a spin and She stops on a dime! Nice firm feel to the pedal!

Last edited by Bossdog; 6/26/11 at 05:15 PM.
Old 6/28/11, 09:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Some goodies just arrived. Now I wish my Boss would arrive.

PLEASE post up pics of those wheels on the KB when you get them on! I've been dying to see what that combo will look like (non-photoshop pic).
Old 6/28/11, 10:06 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by smbstyle
PLEASE post up pics of those wheels on the KB when you get them on! I've been dying to see what that combo will look like (non-photoshop pic).
I have a good photo of a KB GT500 with the PP wheels on it and I'll post it this evening. I also have LS spoiler on order and will paint it white to match the stripes.
Old 6/28/11, 10:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Laguna Seca Wing on a CO/Black Boss

Ok the new wing is on It is so much more massive (but not heavy) than the stock one, and I'm excited about the potential aero benefits at the track. I know there's been some discussion about using the GT500 spoiler as well, so I took some side by side shots comparing the two:
Attached Images       
Old 6/28/11, 10:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Pretty cool cooling mod

Ok, so we've been discussing the potential grille mod to help cool the Boss on very hot and humid track days like we can get here in the Midwestern summer. We saw that Ford Racing has converted the 302S grille to cut out the fog openings and replace with wire mesh. We were heading down that path last night at my buddy's house, but took a detour. I had initially thought trying to just drill out the holes in the "fake" honeycomb mesh fog openings. We were going to start cutting out the entire fog by pilot drilling those holes until we got enough material to use a die grinder. After drilling the first 3 holes with a 1/4" bit and seeing how fast it was going, and how strong the structure appeared to be, we just kept going. 190 holes later and my "fake" mesh fogs are now functional! I calculated it created an additional 9.33 square inches of additional airflow. When you compare it to the rest of the grille opening visually, I would say it almost doubles the airflow into the upper radiator. The lower radiator is almost completely exposed already.
Attached Images     

Last edited by cloud9; 6/28/11 at 10:23 AM.
Old 6/28/11, 10:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice work. Looks like the radiator ends about 1/3 of the way into each "foglight", though? Isn't this just sending extra air around the radiator, and not into it?
Old 6/28/11, 10:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 06GT
Nice work. Looks like the radiator ends about 1/3 of the way into each "foglight", though? Isn't this just sending extra air around the radiator, and not into it?
Good question Drew and I asked myself the same thing when initially contemplating this mod. However, if you get a chance to look at the way they boxed in the radiator, I think you'll agree the air will still flow onto it and not around it. You have to pull the plastic radiator cover at the front of the engine bay to get a good look at it. They used foam/rubber material to seal off the radiator to force the air to flow into it. After seeing Ford Racing change the grille design on the 302S to this I figured they must have tested it and found a cooling benefit to opening them up.
Attached Images  
Old 6/28/11, 11:23 AM

I'll have to look at mine when it comes in to see for sure...but at any rate I like how you did the work, still looks clean and stock, which is what I would want.

Did you drill the holes w/ the grille on the car, or did you remove the grille and drill from the back?
Old 6/28/11, 11:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'll have to look at mine when it comes in to see for sure...but at any rate I like how you did the work, still looks clean and stock, which is what I would want.

Did you drill the holes w/ the grille on the car, or did you remove the grille and drill from the back?
Yea thanks it does look clean still. I have to give my buddy credit for just tearing in as he's less nervous about cutting up the car than I get, but it's pretty straightforward as long as you just take it easy. We were a little worried about how well we'd be able to remove all the material and still have it look stock. It's really just opening up what appears to be the "intent" of them anyway. They're really just a faux mesh grille. I wonder if FRPP will offer the 302S grille as an aftermarket item with the plastic removed and wire mesh installed?

We drilled them with the grille in place. Just removed that plastic cover and put a blanket down in there to catch all the shavings. It worked better in place since it gave you a stable platform and reduced the chance of scratching something.

Last edited by cloud9; 6/28/11 at 11:41 AM.
Old 6/28/11, 11:42 AM

I wonder if FRPP will offer the 302S grille as an aftermarket item with the plastic removed and wire mesh installed?
Dunno, but I'm sure Rehagen would be happy to make one for you if you so desired.
Old 6/28/11, 11:52 AM
GT Member

After drilling the first 3 holes with a 1/4" bit and seeing how fast it was going, and how strong the structure appeared to be, we just kept going. 190 holes later and my "fake" mesh fogs are now functional!
Okay, that mod rocks the house for this Texas track-head. I'm doing it. No questions asked. Well done, Gary. Now I just need to find a time when the missus isn't home. OMG, if she saw me take a drill to the new car...

Jimmy
Old 6/28/11, 11:59 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy Pribble
Okay, that mod rocks the house for this Texas track-head. I'm doing it. No questions asked. Well done, Gary. Now I just need to find a time when the missus isn't home. OMG, if she saw me take a drill to the new car...

Jimmy
Why do you think I did this at my buddy's house and while my wife is out of town?
Old 6/28/11, 12:01 PM

meh, it's a "stealth" mod...she'll never even notice
Old 6/28/11, 12:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

meh, it's a "stealth" mod...she'll never even notice
Exactly......as long as she didn't see it happening In all seriousness, I don't think anyone would know it's not like that from the factory unless they knew these cars like we do.
Old 6/28/11, 12:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Looking forward to see what this does at the track
Old 6/28/11, 01:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Nice work. Wish I was brave enough to try this.

Quick Reply: What have you done to/with your Boss 302 this week?