2012-2013 BOSS 302

TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/11, 08:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cloud9

The dyno charts I posted at BMO don't show it though .......
Word. The car FEELS like it pulls harder, but maybe it is a placebo effect. Ill conduct my own dyno comparison too. Plus ill splash with 100 and see how that goes too.
Old 11/4/11, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BOSS_man
Just goes to show how many bought the car for the exclusivity and coolness versus actually taking it road-course racing. Before my Boss order was messed up and I ended up with a 500, I was planning on learning as it sounds like a real blast!
Or those that bought it largely just because of TK. Every time I saw someone post about the delay in TK changing their mind on the decision to buy a BOSS, I can't help but think of an old Jeff Foxworthy skit where he said, getting married for sex is like buying a 747 for the free peanuts. If you're buying a BOSS for the TracKey, you're wrong.

Originally Posted by badasbullitt
What dealership did you use? Mine wants to charge...
Kit $302.00

Tax 29.39

Shipping 15.00

Labor 138.00

Shop Supplies 13.80

Total $498.19
I just used the local dealership here in town, Arrow Ford.

Originally Posted by 06GT
Word. The car FEELS like it pulls harder, but maybe it is a placebo effect..
My butt dyno says . Looking forward to seeing some dyno comparisons between the two keys, just for grins.
Old 11/4/11, 08:51 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was Crossroads Ford in Wake Forest which I believe is only an estimate because the manager is not sure of how long it will take to program etc.

But Crossroads in Cary is charging $75 for labor + 302 + tax. I will take it there if I decide to have it done.

What club discount allows 10%?
That price seems reasonable. Tune time is less than 30 min. Our local Ford dealership is our Mustang clubs corporate sponsor and provides all members a discount on parts and service. Similar to MCA members qualify for X Plan pricing.
Old 11/4/11, 10:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Word. The car FEELS like it pulls harder, but maybe it is a placebo effect. Ill conduct my own dyno comparison too. Plus ill splash with 100 and see how that goes too.
I drove the black key home tonight after running TracKey the last few days and butt dyno says there's more low end torque but maybe it's just the throttle response I notice. Wish I didn't have to wait until April to find out how it performs on track
Old 11/5/11, 05:34 AM

Installed on Wednesday. Tracked it yesterday. Throttle response it definitely better. Doesn't like low rpms. Lopey idle is cool, but a gimmick. Didn't notice much difference otherwise.
Old 11/5/11, 05:41 AM

I really haven't had trouble shifting on the street, other than the occasional annoyance of skip shift (which I should disable). It does eliminate that which is nice, but skip shift engages at relatively low RPM and drivability at low RPM is degraded with TracKey, so it's probably a wash. That said it shifts great under aggressive driving. I'll be curious to see if it seems any different on track. I don't miss many shifts, but did miss 3-4 a couple times on one track that requires a short shift at Turn 7. If you don't have the clutch pedal buried when shifting it won't go and I just got a little lazy in those cases.
I had a number of issues with the 3-4 shift yesterday at the track, oddly it wasn't till later in the day. I would lockout of 4 somehow. Tried shifting slower and seemed to help. Not sure if it was me or the shifter/tranny. Bearing this in mind, I also had a personal instructor for the day that taught at Bondurant for 20 years and he had the same issue a couple times.
Old 11/5/11, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by YellowJacketBoss302
Anyone else seeing "TRACKEY ENGINE ENABLED" instead of "TRACKEY IDLE ENABLED"?
Nope. Just TK Enabled and Idle.
Old 11/5/11, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by 69mustangman
Got my box today, too. Big box for a little sticker. Software installed yesterday, box today.
Did the car go faster when you put the sticker on or the box?
Old 11/5/11, 06:27 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by bioderek

Decided not to put the stickers on the car... too much extra weight will slow me down
Old 11/5/11, 07:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Nope. Just TK Enabled and Idle.
Mine (0254) says trackey engine enabled.
Old 11/5/11, 08:11 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2

Mine (0254) says trackey engine enabled.
#306 says TK Engine Enabled
Old 11/5/11, 10:36 AM

I had a number of issues with the 3-4 shift yesterday at the track, oddly it wasn't till later in the day. I would lockout of 4 somehow. Tried shifting slower and seemed to help. Not sure if it was me or the shifter/tranny. Bearing this in mind, I also had a personal instructor for the day that taught at Bondurant for 20 years and he had the same issue a couple times.
Trans getting hot. Even with the scoop this will still happen over extended periods of time.
Old 11/5/11, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by black_bullitt
Looking forward to seeing some dyno comparisons between the two keys, just for grins.
Cloud 9 already posted some on BMO and showed no gains...My wallet is a glutton for punishment so I'm going to have to conduct my own experiment just to be sure

I drove the black key home tonight after running TracKey the last few days and butt dyno says there's more low end torque but maybe it's just the throttle response I notice. Wish I didn't have to wait until April to find out how it performs on track
Two more events this year...man I love AZ
Old 11/5/11, 10:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hey PTRocks and members,

Only when TracKey is deemed responsible for the damage will it fall under the reduced warranty, and all other concerns are covered under the original warranty.

Deysha
Deysha,

How will ford know if Trackey causes any powertrain failures? I doubt there is any way to detect if Trackey is the culprit should there be a powertrain issue.
When I saw Deysha's comments I was thinking the exact same as you. For TracKey to have been granted an EO number from CARB, there are an endless number of requirements that had to be satisfied. Typically, CARB's wording goes like this...

"Changes made to the design or operating conditions as exempted by the Air Resources Board, which adversely affect the vehicle's pollution control system shall invalidate this executive order"

Those requirements are extremely detailed - take a gander here...

http://delphi.com/pdf/emissions/Delp...-2011-2012.pdf

In other words, TracKey cannot reduce the durability standards as met by the emissions equipment that is in place as certified under the approved Application for Certification carline and test group (2012 Boss 302 Coyote engine). It becomes a very tricky dance for one to attempt to show that the approved TracKey tune caused an emissions related failure (this quickly flowcharts to emissions vs typical driveline failures, MM Act inclusion - very messy when trying to point the finger to determine how the failure is warranted).

Sticking with simple () emissions equipment related failures, the standard Ford warranty would have to remain in tact and not reduced...

From here...
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...procedures.pdf

Engine, clutch, U-joint, rear differential, etc, failures, will be difficult to align with the specific use of TracKey as well. It'll be interesting to see how actual claims are handled in the near future.

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
Somewhat underwhelmed and disappointed by the idle. And if the change is because of CARB................... On another not there is an unpleasant harmonic buzz from the exhaust under hard acceleration. I suspect the dealer may have damaged the side exhaust when hoisting the car as this happened at another dealer. I'll check it out under day light and report any other things I notice.
As much as I've seen mention of CARB in the context that it was California's fault for the hold up (as well as any watering down that may have occurred) I'm not sure if most here are aware of the stance their home state has taken with regard to CARB itself...

We'll most likely never regress, where standards are concerned. CARB is like a train gone out of control and anyone that dare stand up to it will become less than a flattened penny in a nanosecond. Without SEMA and some true enthusiasts in key places, the performance climate would be much like it was in 1972. The green movement needs to be as realistic as it is responsible. Problem is, it has become self-aware...

Can anyone please take a clear photo of the sticker they receive before they apply it to their car (a squared up shot and not skewed from an angle) and post it up? For example, here is the EO sticker for my 725 hp FRPP/Whipple kit

Last edited by Tob*; 11/5/11 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11/5/11, 11:00 AM

Cloud 9 already posted some on BMO and showed no gains...My wallet is a glutton for punishment so I'm going to have to conduct my own experiment just to be sure
ditto.
Old 11/5/11, 11:11 AM

Oh, and here's a great vid must watch (porsche chasing mustang) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPfxt...e_gdata_player
Old 11/5/11, 12:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HaHaHaHaHaHaHa, omg, that was too funny at the end !!
Old 11/5/11, 01:09 PM
V6 Member

For what it’s worth…. I did a little data logging today (had to see for myself) and found:
1. Hit rev limiter in second gear – max RPM = 7,557
2. PCM accomplishes two step launch control by varying the “commanded throttle”.
3. Spark advance goes from about 20 degrees advanced to about 3 degrees retarded when Lopey idle is actuated. Spark timing bounces around a bit during idle.
Old 11/5/11, 03:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'd love to get some corroborating (preferably conflicting) data.

Two more events this year...man I love AZ
Old 11/5/11, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by YellowJacketBoss302
For what it’s worth…. I did a little data logging today (had to see for myself) and found:
1. Hit rev limiter in second gear – max RPM = 7,557
2. PCM accomplishes two step launch control by varying the “commanded throttle”.
3. Spark advance goes from about 20 degrees advanced to about 3 degrees retarded when Lopey idle is actuated. Spark timing bounces around a bit during idle.
That's useful information, thanks.

Quick Reply: TracKey is here! Those that are installing - please post!