Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/16, 08:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
Yours would sound nearly the same, minus the turbo noise. Basically the 3.7 and the 3.5 is the same motor just with turbos. The 3.5 has forged bottom end and different pistons, but that doesn't change the sound. There's lots of clips with 3.7s with those mufflers, that's what made me want to use the gt500 quad tips. I bought mine on eBay for $150 for the pair! Here's a sound clip of a 3.7 I really like.

2012 3.7 V6 Mustang Launch GT500 mufflers - YouTube
Thanks for the clip!! I have LT headers on my car currently so I think that might change the sound some...

I would imagine the sound of the engine gets muffled a bit to going through the turbos. We shall see if I can find some on eBay!

Last edited by zackmd1; 2/15/16 at 08:30 PM.
Old 2/15/16, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got an interesting email from Geoff at full-race today. With their Ford GT bolt-on turbos he had some impressive results on an already modded f150 ecoboost. Guess I know which turbos I'm getting

http://www.full-race.com/store/image...content-13.jpg

stock turbos and full boltons + tune (375whp dotted line)
VS
adding our bolton turbos at 18.7psi (475whp solid line)
Congrats on the first test drive!

Really looking forward for the first time I get my eco project out with the turbo's from Geoff.
Old 2/15/16, 10:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeWarpF100
Congrats on the first test drive!

Really looking forward for the first time I get my eco project out with the turbo's from Geoff.
Your going to blow the tires off that light truck!

I just read the instructions on how to change the turbos on the full-race website....**** me and you are going to wish we had done this before we dropped in the motors. You probably have some room around your engine but mine are going to be a tight fit getting them in and out.
Old 2/16/16, 07:01 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ecostang & Lexiion,

congrats guys. you guys have built a unique vehicle. it sounds great, looks great! the sky's the limit from here.
Old 2/16/16, 09:30 PM

Your going to blow the tires off that light truck!

I just read the instructions on how to change the turbos on the full-race website....**** me and you are going to wish we had done this before we dropped in the motors. You probably have some room around your engine but mine are going to be a tight fit getting them in and out.
I do not have shock towers . . LOL

If need be I can pull the cab in about 90 minutes.

At this time I do not have wheel houses in front. So should be a easy swap. probably much easier than a late model F150.

Not sure if I will wait until I blow it apart for paint to change the turbo's or if I will do it prior to my new wheels showing up. Up in the air for now.

I check back on yours pretty much every day for updates.
Old 2/16/16, 10:00 PM
Cobra Member

Well I had somewhat of an adventure today. I brought the car hauler home last night and loaded up the car to take it in for a front end alignment today. My plan was to take it to the ford dealer 1/2 mi from my house but I forgot about an early morning meeting. I went ahead and hauled the car to Boulder where I work and figured I would find a shop there to do it. My friend works at a jeep dealer in Boulder and he said to bring it in. Unloaded the car and it wouldn't go on their alignment machine, cats and water piping was hanging down too low.

Loaded it back up and took it to meineke where I was told they have a lower lift to put it on. I had to unload in in the middle of the 28th street... it's Boulder and no one has a parking lot big enough for a truck. I start the car in the trailer and immediately smell gas! I went ahead and backed it out on the street and killed the engine, gas was pouring out underneath it. I popped the hood and the worm clamp I used for the fuel line I made needed to be tightened more. While blocking one lane of traffic I'm tightening the clamp and cranked it back up, was ok then. I parked the car in their parking lot and pulled my trailer all the way back to work. The minute I walk through the door they call me, bad news, we can't align cars with electric power steering. F***! Drove 20 minutes back and went through this all again, blocking traffic to load the car. For whatever reason gas poured out of the car as I drove it in the trailer. Pulled the car all the way home, stinking of gas, so much gas in the trailer I had to air it out for hours. Still no alignment and spent about 4 hrs dealing with it today.

I bought hose designed for fuel but it doesn't seem to be holding up to the pressure and is distorting around the hose clamp and causing a leak. Tomorrow I'm having a custom hose made at a hydrualic shop using steel braided hose and permanent hose clamps....I've got to fix this before the car burns to the ground.

After I fix the hose I'll be taking it to the ford dealer for an alignment.
Old 2/16/16, 10:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
Ecostang & Lexiion,

congrats guys. you guys have built a unique vehicle. it sounds great, looks great! the sky's the limit from here.
Thanks Joe!
Old 2/16/16, 10:05 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 609 Likes on 438 Posts
That's scary. High pressure fuel leaks ain't nothing to screw around with, only takes a minute to have a full blown car-b-que on your hands.
Old 2/16/16, 10:22 PM

, bad news, we can't align cars with electric power steering.
Are they serious?????
What difference does it make to the alignment technique whether it is manual, hydraulic, or electric steering? They all have the same tie rods.
I'm a little confused......
Old 2/16/16, 10:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
That's scary. High pressure fuel leaks ain't nothing to screw around with, only takes a minute to have a full blown car-b-que on your hands.
I agree, I'm going to leave this one to the professionals to make sure this never happens again.

I called and upgraded my insurance to full coverage and told them all about the mods after the first time it leaked, really freaked me out. Lesson learned.

Last edited by Ecostang; 2/16/16 at 10:43 PM.
Old 2/16/16, 10:42 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by XRFairmont
Are they serious?????
What difference does it make to the alignment technique whether it is manual, hydraulic, or electric steering? They all have the same tie rods.
I'm a little confused......
I said the same thing. I was told you need a scan tool to reset the parameters after doing the alignment.....that the PCM must learn the new center position of the steering wheel? They said it must be done after the alignment and before driving it.

They can align any electric power steering except fords, just my luck.
Old 2/16/16, 10:44 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
you really have the ultimate build going. I will tell you thee is not a lot of places that really know how to do an alignment anymore. Most put it on the machine and get it close. Well close is not good enough. Good Luck finding a good alignment shop. I finially called hunter and they told me who the best shops in my area. They also told me where to stay away from.

good luck
Old 2/16/16, 11:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
That's utterly retarded since there are Jeeps with EPAS now.

Ah, just saw your last post.
Old 2/16/16, 11:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Stephen, here's the fruit of MY labor this weekend. Well, and a couple buddies.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-photo639.jpg  
Old 2/17/16, 07:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
you really have the ultimate build going. I will tell you thee is not a lot of places that really know how to do an alignment anymore. Most put it on the machine and get it close. Well close is not good enough. Good Luck finding a good alignment shop. I finially called hunter and they told me who the best shops in my area. They also told me where to stay away from.

good luck
Originally Posted by laserred38
That's utterly retarded since there are Jeeps with EPAS now.

Ah, just saw your last post.
What I'm a little concerned about is will the have communication with the PSCM when they hook up to the car. We haven't checked that yet.
Old 2/17/16, 07:30 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Stephen, here's the fruit of MY labor this weekend. Well, and a couple buddies.
Nice! I really like that hood!
Old 2/17/16, 08:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What I'm a little concerned about is will the have communication with the PSCM when they hook up to the car. We haven't checked that yet.

You've literally brought this car back from the dead (junk yard) and built something from scratch. I think you should just build your own alignment kit for your creation
Old 2/17/16, 08:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Well, the service manual doesn't call for any electronic adjustment after alignment. Only if you swap the EPAS you need to do a PMI.

So I call bs on this.

LEXiiON
Old 2/17/16, 09:40 AM
Cobra Member

Well this was never going to work!
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  
Old 2/17/16, 06:15 PM
Cobra Member

But this will, got this made today.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg