'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 1/20/16, 06:00 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Turbos sound sweet when they spool up, but they do their fare share of muffling exhaust noise. I think it sounds great.
Old 1/20/16, 07:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
Turbos sound sweet when they spool up, but they do their fare share of muffling exhaust noise. I think it sounds great.
That's a good point, plus I think it's louder in person than it seems in the video. While the car was running it being quiet never crossed my mind.
Old 1/20/16, 02:49 PM
Cobra Member

http://www.deatschwerks.com/products...jectors-detail

Guess I'm going to need these brand new injectors! Finally some improvement in the fuel department.
Old 1/20/16, 04:40 PM
Cobra Member

I may have to take back what I said, RX makes a dual catch can that's got an interesting feature. Earlier in this thread I mention that while under boost the passenger side pcv valve is closed and that excessive pressure in the crankcase is probably vented to the drivers side pcv valve even though it's actually a one-way valve. It probably is only a one-way valve up to "x" amount of pressure. The RX catch can is designed to allow vacuum on the passenger side while under boost. I'll be making this purchase, anyone needing more explanation check out this great write up.

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum....p?topic=2142.0
Old 1/20/16, 10:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Ecostang
http://www.deatschwerks.com/products...jectors-detail

Guess I'm going to need these brand new injectors! Finally some improvement in the fuel department.
Actually I've been thinking more about it and I'm going to stick with my original idea, I just need a controller to run the injectors. I spoke to Walt and he knows someone that's already done this and is going to find out what controller he used.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  
Old 1/21/16, 10:04 AM
Cobra Member

Here's a link to the controller that's been used on aux injectors for the ecoboost engine. With the additional injectors and tuning, Paul's performance was able to get 550 RWHP on 93 octane. It's only $280!

https://store.034motorsport.com/blog...ntroller-info/

I'm exploring the idea of running e85 with the ecoboost, with the additional injectors and dual fuel pumps I should be able to pull it off. If so this will give me extra HP, I suspect between 550-600 RWHP without nitrous.
Old 1/21/16, 12:56 PM
Cobra Member

I went ahead and ordered the injector controller, I figure I better get this going sooner than later if I want to make the racing event in June. I'll probably order my 8 pt roll cage this weekend to get started installing it.
Old 1/21/16, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, just now catching up on this thread.
Congratulations - awesome job.
Old 1/21/16, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't wait to stuff one of these in my 66 pony. Even bone stock will make it scream past my brother's 289!
Old 1/22/16, 08:24 AM
Cobra Member

Snubbed by livernois again!

When I started this project I reached out to livernois about rebuilding my block, this was before they offered pricing for short blocks on their website . They corresponded with me through email a few times and then went silent before ever giving me a price. I sent them several emails trying to get them to respond.....and nothing. I don't like being snubbed so it really irritated me. After 9 months I somewhat got over it so I sent them an email 3 days ago telling them the car is now running and that I never heard back from them despite sending at least 3 unanswered emails. Guess what, snubbed me again by not responding to this email!

I was considering spending the $10-15k for my engine rebuild with them, not now. I will purposely not spend a dime with livernois, but I will be racing against them at the ecoboost battle. Just more motivation to show them up.

On a positive not Tom at super six has been very responsive to me, he will most likely get my $ for the engine rebuild. He's got a great reputation as an engine builder far as I know.

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/22/16 at 08:32 AM.
Old 1/22/16, 08:58 AM
Cobra Member

Of course I want to win the ecoboost battle so I'm strategizing now so I can be ready. I won't be able to change the block and turbos until after the race in June so I need to win with a stock setup. I still think it's completely possible but it's not a slam dunk.

From what I've read online is that the engine builders are seeing failures in the 450-600 RWHP range. Keeping in mind this could be many things causing the failure, including the tune. Livernois said on a forum that the failures they have seen have all come from the transverse engines above 450 RWHP but none from the F150. Another tuner said they have seen failures of the f150 at closer to 600 RWHP.

At some point I will hit the limits of my turbos. From all the research I've done when adding enough fuel this should be around 550 RWHP on 93 octane. I'm planning on going with e85 because its safer for the engine at high HP and this may give me a few more HP and save the engine from detonation destruction. Most high HP ecoboost engine are all using auto trans which robs up to 35 hp, I will gain that back as well.

The big question is.....how much HP can the engine take before a giving up? It's got forged internals. Here is some info from the Full-race website.

-------------------
Forged steel "I-beam" connecting rods reliably transmit high torque from piston to crank without distortion or bending.
Forged steel crankshaft is made to withstand tremendous amounts of force
6-bolt main bearing caps and additional support ribs provide the forged crank strength and rigidity throughout the engine block.
"Open-Deck" aluminum block with high strength steel sleeves (molded in) keeps cylinders cool and resistant to pre-ignition detonation.
Cast aluminum oil pan resists denting or wear

Ford's EcoBoost piston design uses many new technologies previously found on some of their high performance race vehicles. This includes high-strength aluminum, CNC machined with thick ring-lands providing support across the piston and recessed below the piston top.
Piston top shape designed for efficient combustion with direct injector and controlled flame propagation across the cylinder.
Low friction coatings are used on the piston skirt to reduce wear and friction on the cylinder walls.
Piston cooling "oil squirter" jets spray oil on the underside of the piston to keep it cool and strong.
Ford's 10.0:1 Compression Ratio EcoBoost piston design uses High-Temperature Aluminum alloy combined with 2 steel cast-in upper ring supports. Previously found on high performance diesel engines, these steel supports are recessed below the piston top and act as the upper ringlands. They provide rigidity across the piston and allow the low tension rings to reliably handle long-term turbo boost.
"Direct-Injection Bowl" Piston top shape is designed for efficient combustion with direct injector and controlled flame propagation across the cylinder.
--------------------

I want to win but if I destroy the engine that will be hard to do. I feel fairly confident in the 550-600 RWHP range, if I could achieve that with my current mods I would simply add nitrous to get there. If I could push past 600 RWHP then I could win for sure, I need to run in the mid 10s to beat last year's competitors.

If I blow the engine racing I'll build the new block and go back at the end of the year and race again, there are 3 races total this year. Bottomline is that the 4cyl are reaching their limit at 500 RWHP and I'll be just getting started there. There are some higher HP 4cyl out there but from what I understand they are dyno queens and will never produce that HP on the track.

Last edited by Ecostang; 1/22/16 at 09:02 AM.
Old 1/22/16, 09:14 AM
Cobra Member

I think what I'll do is run e85 and tune the car so it's not aggressive on timing, a powerful but safe tune. I'll add the nitrous but only selectively use it, basically only use the nitrous if it's necessary to win. I need to dial in the car on the track and be consistent without nitrous, this could be the most powerful piece to the puzzle....especially since I'm in a manual car. For the ecoboost battle I can have the nitrous switch handy and if I'm losing a race I can switch it on to hopefully win.

Another question is how much power can the mt-82 take before it gives up? I've seems people running 5.0s with 700 RWHP on the track and they still survive. I'll be replacing the clutch and trans with the engine rebuild with a stronger setup but until then I hope it holds together.
Old 1/22/16, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I think what I'll do is run e85 and tune the car so it's not aggressive on timing, a powerful but safe tune. I'll add the nitrous but only selectively use it, basically only use the nitrous if it's necessary to win. I need to dial in the car on the track and be consistent without nitrous, this could be the most powerful piece to the puzzle....especially since I'm in a manual car. For the ecoboost battle I can have the nitrous switch handy and if I'm losing a race I can switch it on to hopefully win.

Another question is how much power can the mt-82 take before it gives up? I've seems people running 5.0s with 700 RWHP on the track and they still survive. I'll be replacing the clutch and trans with the engine rebuild with a stronger setup but until then I hope it holds together.
I know where a TR6060 with 222.5 miles is

LEXiiON
Old 1/22/16, 10:03 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON

LEXiiON
Ya right, I wish it bolted up but it won't. I'm looking at the only option which is the tremec t-56 for a 3.7 bolt pattern.
Old 1/22/16, 10:18 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Ya right, I wish it bolted up but it won't. I'm looking at the only option which is the tremec t-56 for a 3.7 bolt pattern.
You could always check with Kennedy Engineering. They make all sorts of adapters for mounting engines to transmissions/transaxles.
Old 1/22/16, 11:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by LEXiiON

LEXiiON
Will it bolt up to my coyote?

Not surprising about Livernois. Equally not surprising about Super Six. When I had my first Mustang in high school/college, I wanted so bad to build a built 4.2 V6 stroker with M112 supercharger from an 03-04 Cobra. SSM was the place to go. There was a guy in our club with a built 4.2 V6 with just a 150 shot and some DRs. He was embarrassing the supercharged GTs
Old 1/22/16, 11:55 AM
Cobra Member

I sent an email to Geoff at Full-race asking what he thought about the HP limits of the ecoboost engine. This is his response,

-----------
I think this motor can do 750whp on e85. tuning is critical. I would not mess with nitrous, you just need to get the turbos and fuel system working you will have your hands full.
------------

This was just his personal opinion, which is exactly what I asked for. This is of course no guarantee only speculation. I'm pretty happy with his response though! Thanks Geoff!
Old 1/22/16, 11:56 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SpectreH
You could always check with Kennedy Engineering. They make all sorts of adapters for mounting engines to transmissions/transaxles.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 1/22/16, 12:15 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Here's their website: http://www.kennedyenginc.com/Pages/default.aspx

They specialize in Porsche and VW transaxles, but I know people have used them for adapting short block and LS Chevy engines to Corvair transaxles, as well as Porsche transaxles.

It appears hey make adapters to put a Coyote 5.0 into a Porsche, so the worst they can say is that they can't do it.
Old 1/22/16, 09:52 PM
Cobra Member

Lexiion came over tonight to data log the engine and some wiring. Got the headlights, tail lights, blinkers, and fog lamps all working. I'll be finishing up some small details with the rest of the car this weekend and maybe Lexiion can come back on Sunday for more wiring.

Seems to be going well, maybe we can take it for a test drive in a week or two.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap