Notices
'10-14 V6 Modifications Place to discuss 2010 V6 modifications

Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/16, 11:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
I used these brackets for the gt500 rear brakes, easy to swap them on and off.
Had them on mine now too, for about 4,000 miles. They work great, and I love how easy it was to install versus the alternative.
Old 3/25/16, 02:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
So you gonna be selling those brackets?
Old 3/25/16, 03:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
So you gonna be selling those brackets?
Probably not but here's the link, pretty cheap upgrade since the caliper is exactly the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-14-Mustan...dUTPnF&vxp=mtr

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...ar-brakes-scat
Old 3/25/16, 04:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Probably not but here's the link, pretty cheap upgrade since the caliper is exactly the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-14-Mustan...dUTPnF&vxp=mtr

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...ar-brakes-scat
Oh, I have a set, bought them from the guy on eBay about a year ago, been working great on my car.
Looking for a set for the girlfriend's GT500
Old 3/25/16, 06:01 PM
Cobra Member

Looks like I got my 97 mustang sold, the buyer put down a deposit and will be here on the 4th to pick it up. This frees up some money to finish the car and my wife has given me a strict budget of $4,750 to get the car ready to race in June, she said don't ask for another dime before then! So this means I can spend $5k without pissing her off. Assuming I don't get any surprises with the tuning what's the best use of the money, what do you guys think?

Mandatory to me
1. SVE drag star wheels 15x10, 17x4.5 $700
2. Pair of 15" drag slicks $400
3. Pair of skinny front tires $350
4. Aluminum driveshaft $650
5. Saftey equipment (fire extinguisher, neck brace, fire suit, driver side 5 point harness) $300
6. WOT 2 step box $200
7. One more 90/10 drag strut $150 (I already bought one)
$2,750 total

$2,250 left in the budget, optional items
1. Moser axles $400
2. Differential $750
3. Nitrous $1,100
4. Turbo upgrade $2,500 (maybe I could swing a discount)
5. Shifter $250-450
6. Lightweight flywheel and new clutch $700

To help weigh the options I've got stock axles, stock differential, stock turbos, stock boss clutch, stock flywheel, stock shifter with Barton bracket and whiteline bushing. With e85 and the extra fuel I should be around 550-600 whp. Where is the money best spent?
Got nothing but crickets on this one....
Old 3/25/16, 06:43 PM
Cobra Member

For me I think the mandatory items obviously then probably the moser axles and nitrous? I would have some cash left over for surprises and to pay someone to swap the gears and axles, this a stinky messy job. I don't think I'm going to need a differential yet but that would suck to break this diff on a hard launch with slicks.
Old 3/25/16, 08:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
For me I think the mandatory items obviously then probably the moser axles and nitrous? I would have some cash left over for surprises and to pay someone to swap the gears and axles, this a stinky messy job. I don't think I'm going to need a differential yet but that would suck to break this diff on a hard launch with slicks.
Dont forget to put some cash aside for the tune... Just saying, ain't nobody working for free and I guess that will include Matt....

LEXiiON
Old 3/25/16, 09:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Dont forget to put some cash aside for the tune... Just saying, ain't nobody working for free and I guess that will include Matt....

LEXiiON
This is true, I actually had already set aside some $ for that although I have no idea if it's enough or not. I don't know what to expect from them, I'm hoping they can get the tune straightened out at this point.
Old 3/25/16, 09:45 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts
This is true, I actually had already set aside some $ for that although I have no idea if it's enough or not. I don't know what to expect from them, I'm hoping they can get the tune straightened out at this point.
At this point I think you need to just bite the bullet, tell your ol' lady to get over it, and put LEXiiON on the payroll. That dude has made some serious **** happen, lol. From what I've read on this thread, that dude is a BAMF. He's worth more than beer and pizza that he gets fed while hanging out in your garage.
Old 3/25/16, 10:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
At this point I think you need to just bite the bullet, tell your ol' lady to get over it, and put LEXiiON on the payroll. That dude has made some serious **** happen, lol. From what I've read on this thread, that dude is a BAMF. He's worth more than beer and pizza that he gets fed while hanging out in your garage.
Haha you got that right! Ya I defintely owe him......at least he's putting me to work tomorrow helping him for a change. One way I want to repay Lexiion is to drag him to all the mustang functions here in CO which he hasn't done before, also I believe I'll get him to take his first trip down the drag strip later this year at least in the ecostang. I have several friends with fast cars and we all go in a group to the different shows, events, track days. It's usually a pack of 6-8 500+ HP cars which is something to remember by itself, it's a whole new world of fun.

I'm ready for winter to be over and we can start having fun, lately it's just been all work!
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  
Old 3/25/16, 10:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

What pizza? BYOB, too. Oh well at least the last couple of sessions Stephen finally got beer

All good

LEXiiON
Old 3/25/16, 10:38 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Haha you got that right! Ya I defintely owe him......at least he's putting me to work tomorrow helping him for a change. One way I want to repay Lexiion is to drag him to all the mustang functions here in CO which he hasn't done before, also I believe I'll get him to take his first trip down the drag strip later this year at least in the ecostang. I have several friends with fast cars and we all go in a group to the different shows, events, track days. It's usually a pack of 6-8 500+ HP cars which is something to remember by itself, it's a whole new world of fun.

I'm ready for winter to be over and we can start having fun, lately it's just been all work!
Winter is pretty much over here. Been having 70's and 80's already. Pollen is through the roof though. Count was 2700 the other day (120 is considered Extreme on the scale, lol).

That's awesome. I need to get back out to the Rockies again soon, love it out there, been in that region many times, got some friends in Steamboat. Hope you get to come to the Fun Ford Weekend events when you get it done. The finals in Bowling Green is awesome. I love that track, covered grandstands on the side opposite the pits, small venue, has that old school vintage drag strip feel to it. Maybe I'll come up there if you get it together. Been there a few times for it. I actually won a trophy there one time. Won best in class in the car show back in 2002 IIRC. I'll have to dig it out to see for sure.
Old 3/25/16, 11:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
What pizza? BYOB, too. Oh well at least the last couple of sessions Stephen finally got beer

All good

LEXiiON
Man I know, lol I was being such a bad host. I hardly ever drink beer and never have it around the house. Finally I snapped to it and picked up some beer just for you to have when you come over. I don't think either of us expected it to be this much work, I thought we would be done in a few weekends. You have stuck it out with me and I really appreciate that, I promise to have beer from now on
Old 3/25/16, 11:20 PM
Cobra Member

Winter is pretty much over here. Been having 70's and 80's already. Pollen is through the roof though. Count was 2700 the other day (120 is considered Extreme on the scale, lol).

That's awesome. I need to get back out to the Rockies again soon, love it out there, been in that region many times, got some friends in Steamboat. Hope you get to come to the Fun Ford Weekend events when you get it done. The finals in Bowling Green is awesome. I love that track, covered grandstands on the side opposite the pits, small venue, has that old school vintage drag strip feel to it. Maybe I'll come up there if you get it together. Been there a few times for it. I actually won a trophy there one time. Won best in class in the car show back in 2002 IIRC. I'll have to dig it out to see for sure.
The wind blew through the cedar trees outside our office the other day and it looked like smoke came off them! Straight pollen....

Steamboat has the mustang roundup every year and it's a lot of fun. 4 days in the mountains with several scheduled events, basically the entire town gets covered up in mustangs. I was actually planning to be in Bowling Green in October for the final ecoboost battle of 2016 which is during the fun ford weekend. I've never been there so it should be a lot of fun. Let me know if you think you will make it, I'm 90% sure I'll be there.

Last edited by Ecostang; 3/25/16 at 11:46 PM.
Old 3/25/16, 11:50 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

The wind blew through the cedar trees outside our office the other day and it looked like smoke cam off them! Straight pollen....

Steamboat has the mustang roundup every year and it's a lot of fun. 4 days in the mountains with several scheduled events, basically the entire town gets covered up in mustangs. I was actually planning to be in Bowling Green in October for the final ecoboost battle of 2016 which is during the fun ford weekend. I've never been there so it should be a lot of fun. Let me know if you think you will make it, I'm 90% sure I'll be there.
That facility at Bowling Green is awesome. Its small, quaint and cool. It literally is the old school feel of drag racing. Plus its right down the road from the Corvette museum and factory (I highly suggest you take the tour of the factory if you're a car lover, and the museum too).

I actually only entered the car show because of parking, lol. All of the parking was outside the drag strip and a pretty good hike unless you got there early, but you could enter your car in the show for an extra fee and come inside to park. Not much more than the parking fee so I did, and you got to park inside the dragstrip on the pit side. I was in my mint TBird SC so I did and ended up winning the best in class for the whole weekend, and got to park right next to the pits in the field inside the facility, lol.
Old 3/26/16, 09:07 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like I got my 97 mustang sold, the buyer put down a deposit and will be here on the 4th to pick it up. This frees up some money to finish the car and my wife has given me a strict budget of $4,750 to get the car ready to race in June, she said don't ask for another dime before then! So this means I can spend $5k without pissing her off. Assuming I don't get any surprises with the tuning what's the best use of the money, what do you guys think?

Mandatory to me
1. SVE drag star wheels 15x10, 17x4.5 $700
2. Pair of 15" drag slicks $400
3. Pair of skinny front tires $350
4. Aluminum driveshaft $650
5. Saftey equipment (fire extinguisher, neck brace, fire suit, driver side 5 point harness) $300
6. WOT 2 step box $200
7. One more 90/10 drag strut $150 (I already bought one)
$2,750 total

$2,250 left in the budget, optional items
1. Moser axles $400
2. Differential $750
3. Nitrous $1,100
4. Turbo upgrade $2,500 (maybe I could swing a discount)
5. Shifter $250-450
6. Lightweight flywheel and new clutch $700

To help weigh the options I've got stock axles, stock differential, stock turbos, stock boss clutch, stock flywheel, stock shifter with Barton bracket and whiteline bushing. With e85 and the extra fuel I should be around 550-600 whp. Where is the money best spent?
Your mandatory list looks good. I would get that driveshaft ASAP though. It took about a month to get mine from LMR. There's a well known tuner in my area who refuses put any V6 mustang with a power adder on the rollers until they get a driveshaft after he had one on a procharged car shred itself. What WOT box are you going to use? N2MB?

As far as the shifter is concerned I don't think it will give you much bang for your buck. Stock it kinda sucks, but with the blowfish shifter, support it does just fine on track. I've been using the blowfish support for a while now, and haven't had a lockout issue on the strip ever since I got it, plus it doubles as a driveshaft safety loop. I think nitrous would be an excellent idea though and great value for money if you really want to be competitive at the strip. A clutch might be a good idea too. I'm sure you'll be pushing the limits of that stock clutch, plus it would give you a chance to put a spacer on the slave cylinder (I'm told RAM-78511 is the correct size to get). I couldn't justify the cost of a lightweight flywheel when the stock GT flywheel is less than $150 and already 10 pounds lighter than the stock V6 flywheel, but I'm a broke college student, maybe you could lol. You could still probably take 8 pounds or so off with an aluminum flywheel and you wouldn't have to live with it every day if you didn't want to lol. It would probably cost you closer to a grand though.

How serious are you about getting an S550 rear in there though? I don't think building the rear would be worth it if you might just swap it out anyway in a year. Especially at those prices. You could always just rebuild the stock t lok too. I'm sure it would be strong enough, at least for the time being.
Old 3/26/16, 11:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Man I know, lol I was being such a bad host. I hardly ever drink beer and never have it around the house. Finally I snapped to it and picked up some beer just for you to have when you come over. I don't think either of us expected it to be this much work, I thought we would be done in a few weekends. You have stuck it out with me and I really appreciate that, I promise to have beer from now on
All good happy to help. You help me, I help you. That easy.

LEXiiON
Old 3/26/16, 03:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GatorV6
Your mandatory list looks good. I would get that driveshaft ASAP though. It took about a month to get mine from LMR. There's a well known tuner in my area who refuses put any V6 mustang with a power adder on the rollers until they get a driveshaft after he had one on a procharged car shred itself. What WOT box are you going to use? N2MB?

As far as the shifter is concerned I don't think it will give you much bang for your buck. Stock it kinda sucks, but with the blowfish shifter, support it does just fine on track. I've been using the blowfish support for a while now, and haven't had a lockout issue on the strip ever since I got it, plus it doubles as a driveshaft safety loop. I think nitrous would be an excellent idea though and great value for money if you really want to be competitive at the strip. A clutch might be a good idea too. I'm sure you'll be pushing the limits of that stock clutch, plus it would give you a chance to put a spacer on the slave cylinder (I'm told RAM-78511 is the correct size to get). I couldn't justify the cost of a lightweight flywheel when the stock GT flywheel is less than $150 and already 10 pounds lighter than the stock V6 flywheel, but I'm a broke college student, maybe you could lol. You could still probably take 8 pounds or so off with an aluminum flywheel and you wouldn't have to live with it every day if you didn't want to lol. It would probably cost you closer to a grand though.

How serious are you about getting an S550 rear in there though? I don't think building the rear would be worth it if you might just swap it out anyway in a year. Especially at those prices. You could always just rebuild the stock t lok too. I'm sure it would be strong enough, at least for the time being.
Very good to know about the driveshaft, I will get that ordered this weekend. For the WOT box I was going to go with the N2MB, I would like to try the no-lift-shift!

I really like the blowfish shifter bracket, looks like a solid piece. I already bought and installed a front driveshaft loop which would have to go in order to install it. I had considered making the bracket myself minus the driveshaft loop, doesn't seem to difficult. If I end up having an issue and need a spacer I will definitely put in a better clutch while I'm in there. I'm really hoping that I can wait to pull out the transmission until the end of race season but I may not be given that choice. My transmission and clutch feel totally fine without the spacer but as much info as there is talking about the need for it I'm concerned I may have issues when I can finally get it to the track. It's probably a weekends worth if work to put in a new clutch and spacer, I just need to do some testing to find out. I'm with you, I would probably pass on the lightweight flywheel, those things are expensive!

I've pretty much talked myself in to the nitrous setup, it leaves me some cash left over to beef up the drivetrain and it's easy an 150 HP.

I'm still pretty interested in swapping out to an IRS but I really need to decide what the goal is for the car. When I originally came up with the idea to do this build I was going to use the car for road course racing. Since then I've learned 3 things that have slightly changed my course.

1. I went to a road course and really didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it but I didn't love it.
2. The ecoboost engine is capable of some big HP numbers, the potential is much higher than I thought when I started this project.
3. The ecoboost battle really got me excited, it set an achievable goal that I would be proud to win.

I still want to do the IRS swap because I think I can do it and I really like the challenge. Sure I can drag race with the IRS, other people do, and I may do that. It certainly won't help me at drag racing and it's going to add some weight to the car. If I spend money to beef up this rearend and then replace it this winter I could sell it and only lose 1/2 what I put in to it. If I'm able to make mounts for the IRS and leave all the mounting for the straight axle I could swap them in and out, that would actually be really cool but I'm not sure it's possible.

Last edited by Ecostang; 3/26/16 at 03:59 PM.
Old 3/26/16, 05:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried using the N2MB WOT box on my car a little bit but I had some issues with it. They don't have a 6 cylinder option unfortunetly so that may have been a contributing factor, but I'm pretty sure some people use it with the V6 without issue. I'm not sure exactly what was going on with mine but I only had it on the car for a few weeks before I took it off the road and started working on it so I didn't really pursue the issue. I'll definitely try to hook it up with the 3.5 though, it will probably launch like a complete animal with fuel cut 2 step, especially with stock turbos.

I'm pretty split on what I want to do with my rear end too though lol. I would absolutely love to have the IRS back there, mostly for the refinement but better handling would be a big plus. My fabrication skills are extremely limited compared to yours though lol so it's probably not a realistic goal for me. If I was to try it though I wouldn't want to spend any more money on my live axle setup.

By the way, where did you get your fuel line? I just saw a video of a '13-'14 5.0 go up in flames and it **** near brought a tear to my eye. Fire scares the hell out of me lol, I want to make sure that doesn't happen to my car.
Old 3/26/16, 10:44 PM
Cobra Member

Drove the car again today, finally got the GoPro to work. I still haven't hammered it, I'm waiting on the custom tune which we will be uploading tomorrow. This is the stock engine with stock tune, it pulls hard. I'm actually pretty impressed so far....the car only gets faster from here.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap