Old 3/13/16, 02:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
See below
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.png  
Old 3/13/16, 02:58 PM
Cobra Member

One potential problem, the ecoboost control pack requires a specific pedal assembly. It has a picture of a mustang gas pedal but the part number is for a f150 pedal which looks totally different. I pulled the gas pedal out of my 2013 f150 ecoboost to try it and it's not even close. It's a huge assembly with 3 plugs and what looks like an electric motor on the back of it. I have no idea what that's for unless it's cruise control.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.png  

Last edited by Ecostang; 3/13/16 at 03:51 PM.
Old 3/13/16, 02:59 PM
Cobra Member

Mine, 2012 mustang
Attached Thumbnails Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Ecostang; 3/13/16 at 05:57 PM.
Old 3/13/16, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
Mine, 2012 mustang
I don't think it is the pedal. It ran fine with the mustang pedal. And it plugged right in.
I either think clogged injectors or something else. It shouldn't die. It ran fine.
LEXiiON
Old 3/13/16, 06:10 PM
Cobra Member

After more thought...the f150 2010+ 3.7 and 3.5 all use the same gas pedal, I don't see how using a 3.7 mustang gas pedal would be any issue. If it is an issue the pedals are cheap but installing it will be a PITA.

I looked at used 2010+ f150 pedals on eBay and they are similar to my mustang pedal, just one electrical connection. I'm not sure why my truck pedal is so different, I'm sure it's due to one of the options the truck has.
Old 3/13/16, 06:17 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
I don't think it is the pedal. It ran fine with the mustang pedal. And it plugged right in.
I either think clogged injectors or something else. It shouldn't die. It ran fine.
LEXiiON
I agree about the pedal. The only reason I questioned that is because the data logs aren't showing the throttle position, which is also strange. It did display before right?

If it had clogged injectors, which I don't believe is the issue, it wouldn't cause the fuel pressure to drop. The HPFP has a fine mesh screen on the inlet, it was clean when I looked at it last night. Not sure what could have clogged the injectors.
Old 3/13/16, 07:00 PM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes thats what I read. So at minimum it should be maintaining 200 psi. Your description of the smoke and fuel out of the exhaust drive me to believe in leaking/stuck injector/s.

About the pedals, doesn't your f150 have adjustable pedals!?
Old 3/13/16, 07:08 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Slowb00st
Yes thats what I read. So at minimum it should be maintaining 200 psi. Your description of the smoke and fuel out of the exhaust drive me to believe in leaking/stuck injector/s.

Ahhhhh adjustable pedals, you nailed it.

I see what you mean about the injector, I think we need to get the fuel pressure up first and see if that fixes the smoking.
Old 3/13/16, 07:34 PM
Cobra Member

After more thought and more Google research on ecoboost injectors actually you may be on to something. It's hard for me to believe the injector is clogged, that wouldn't affect fuel pressure in the way we are seeing. BUT if the injector was stuck open this could possibly cause the low fuel pressure and flooding at the same time.

It's a huge amount of white smoke, but it's not water vapor. If the engine was running out of gas why would it smoke? Flooding a cylinder could cause both white smoke and possibly fuel low pressure.

Here's a link to a flex with a similar problem
http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9081

Last edited by Ecostang; 3/13/16 at 08:45 PM.
Old 3/13/16, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ecostang
After more thought and more Google research on ecoboost injectors actually you may be on to something. It's hard for me to believe the injector is clogged, that wouldn't effect fuel pressure in the way we are seeing. BUT if the injector was stuck wide open this could possibly cause the low fuel pressure and flooding.

It's a huge amount of white smoke, but it's not water vapor. If the engine was running out of gas why would it smoke? Flooding a cylinder could cause both white smoke and possibly fuel low pressure.

Here's a link to a flex with a similar problem
http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9081
Someone writes about an injector test... I guess we need to hook up IDS and see if we can run that one.

LEXiiON
Old 3/13/16, 08:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Someone writes about an injector test... I guess we need to hook up IDS and see if we can run that one.

LEXiiON
Yes please, if not I'll have to load it up and take it to the dealer to have them check it out. I'll replace it myself but the test would be nice to know if that's the problem before I tear it apart.
Old 3/13/16, 11:28 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks for offering help, I'm pretty sure you got it right. I still need to test it to determine which injector is causing the problem. Since I have brand new plugs I might can tell by pulling them and seeing which one looks bad.

One more piece of evidence to support your theory. I've only driven 3 miles since the Mobil 1 oil change, I checked the dipstick and the oil smells like gas. This was one more diagnostic tool people were using to check for stuck injectors. Between the white smoke, rough idle, gas smell, gas in the oil, not starting....it's pretty clear now.

Oh and Lexiion do you remember how much water drips from the exhaust? The puddles underneath the car where the mufflers attach? That's another sign of a bad injector, I read that it happens from the fuel that isn't burned somehow. It was another symptom to look for. I thought that seemed excessive considering my Shelby or my truck don't drip near that much. 10 mins of running and there would be 2 good puddles underneath.

I found 2 new injectors on eBay for $35 each, I'll probably grab them both to have an extra for next time. After some investigation apparently there has been some issue with 11/12 injectors on the f150s, some people having multiple failures....not so much on the newer ones.

**** another mobil 1 oil change is going to cost as much as the new injectors. This thing has been a money pit lately.

Last edited by Ecostang; 3/13/16 at 11:49 PM.
Old 3/16/16, 10:29 AM
Cobra Member

Lexiion came over last night and we tried to run the injector test but we're not able to because the IDS was not able to start the car. No auto transmission among other issues. I found several places that can test direct injectors, I'll pull them all out and send them so I know for sure what's going on. It's only $5-20 per injector depending on where I see them.
Old 3/16/16, 10:29 AM
Cobra Member

Old 3/16/16, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Ecostang, you just keep giving.
The video pointed me to a decent torque converter for the 6R80 (its Achillies heel).
Many thanks.
Old 3/16/16, 03:25 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was just looking at those turbos the other day. I think they said it had a larger compressor housing though. Do you think there's clearance for these in the S197? It would be an awesome upgrade if they fit.

Also, did you have to run a slave cylinder spacer with your Boss clutch and flywheel? I know the 3.7 can't run a GT clutch and flywheel setup without it, so I'm assuming the 3.5 is the same way.

Last edited by GatorV6; 3/16/16 at 03:55 PM.
Old 3/16/16, 08:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by XRFairmont
Hey Ecostang, you just keep giving.
The video pointed me to a decent torque converter for the 6R80 (its Achillies heel).
Many thanks.
Haha, cool!

Originally Posted by GatorV6
I was just looking at those turbos the other day. I think they said it had a larger compressor housing though. Do you think there's clearance for these in the S197? It would be an awesome upgrade if they fit.

Also, did you have to run a slave cylinder spacer with your Boss clutch and flywheel? I know the 3.7 can't run a GT clutch and flywheel setup without it, so I'm assuming the 3.5 is the same way.
I contacted them today to ask about the turbos compared to what else is available. They sent me a lengthy reply, I'll post the information here tomorrow for everyone to read.

Your right, I barely cleared the steering shaft so these may not work. It was the exhaust side of the turbo that was close to the steering shaft, maybe that doesn't increase in size on the new turbos. That's a good question for me to ask him tomorrow.

I didn't know anything about a spacer so it doesn't have one. I used a GT flywheel, I wonder if that makes a difference? Clutch seems to work fine without it, seems like normal travel and pressure.

Last edited by Ecostang; 3/16/16 at 08:42 PM.
Old 3/16/16, 09:38 PM
V6 Member

It's possible that the 3.5 is not compatible with the 3.7 clutch and stuff. I believe the main difference is that the 3.7 dual mass flywheel is thicker than the GT flywheel. But I would think that if there was an issue with your clutch setup it would be apparent by now. When I get my 2 engines side by side I'll try to take some measurements just to make sure. I just don't want to get everything installed and find out that the trans has to come back off to install a 100 dollar spacer.
Old 3/16/16, 09:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GatorV6
It's possible that the 3.5 is not compatible with the 3.7 clutch and stuff. I believe the main difference is that the 3.7 dual mass flywheel is thicker than the GT flywheel. But I would think that if there was an issue with your clutch setup it would be apparent by now. When I get my 2 engines side by side I'll try to take some measurements just to make sure. I just don't want to get everything installed and find out that the trans has to come back off to install a 100 dollar spacer.
D*** I'm glad I dodged that bullet (at least I hope so), pulling the tranny out again now would suck. What happens to the 3.7 if you don't use the spacer? Seems like I would have needed it unless everything worked out because I used the GT flywheel.
Old 3/17/16, 10:10 AM
V6 Member

The clutch would be too far from the slave cylinder. Apparently it can still work for a little bit though, but I don't really know how. This is an excerpt from a review of a flywheel that says it should fit the 3.7 but has no mention of the spacer:

"The V6 flywheel bolts were too long for the much thinner flywheel. This was the first warning that more parts are needed. A quick, courteous call to Ram revealed that you need the flywheel bolts from an '01 4,6l V8. So that slowed things down a bunch as very few places stock that on the shelves. After getting everything reinstalled and the clutch bled, the clutch throw was hair trigger & eventually the pedal stuck to the floor. The clutch was too far from the slave cylinder. Another set of calls & talking with the ford tech reveals you need a 1/2" slave cylinder spacer that a V8 comes with stock - which currently is only included in the V6 RAM HDX clutch. Ford DOES NOT stock this part, it's not in their parts computer anywhere. I was able to find the RAM spacer by itself after a couple days searching and now the car runs fabulously."

American Muscle really should mention this under technical notes, but they don't, and they don't sell the spacer by itself either. I feel like that's a pretty major oversight seeing as they say it's compatible with the 3.7. I'm sure you would have noticed the issue by now if you had it though, so I'm guessing that's just another difference between the 3.5 and 3.7 but I'll try to confirm this as soon as I can.

Last edited by GatorV6; 3/17/16 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Mustang 3.5L Ecoboost engine swap