2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2010+ Info as far as we know

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/08, 10:06 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
There were many people who had the same complaints/opinions on keyless entry. Saying things like, "This is ridiculous, i have to get my key out to start the car so why not just get it out 5 seconds early and use it in the door as well."

I'm guessing that those of you who do not want (or don't care either way for) the push button start would be right up there complaining if the car didn't have keyless entry. (With the exception of TXBLUEOVAL, who really just wants a 1974 Mustang with 0 miles and a full factory warranty. And there's nothing wrong with that, everyone is entitled to their own wants, hopes and dreams.)

I watch Top Gear (UK car show for those who aren't aware) and many times when a new model comes out, it is held up against the Ford as the standard by which it is to be judged. I'd love to see Ford US get the same treatment. But to do that they need to move forward. In the UK you can get a hardtop convertible Focus, and both the Focus and Mondeo come with push button start. There is talk of both of those models getting a DSG type tranny.

What does Ford US have, oooo we are just now introducing 6 speed slush boxes, but they don't even have manumatic control.
Old 7/7/08, 05:54 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unquestionably well said. Agree 100%. Rather have better interior materials than pushbutton start and crappy plastic all around it. I'm okay w/ turning a key as long as I don't feel like I am sitting in a Tupperware container for my $32K GT vert. I hope they made the right choice. ( Remember, this is a re-skin, not a new car, so unless the Mustang platform/electronics/wiring harness/space behind dash could accept it, not sure it could be integrated easily )

Would like a nicer key, though, like a flip such as the Mazdas and VWs have.

Originally Posted by jsaylor
Let me rephrase, minimal tangible benefit. This is like the self closing doors on a Roller or the old power trunk lids on Lincolns which closed the trunk the final few inches for you so you wouldn't have to. Without question these features indeed do accomplish something, but the ratio of gimmick to actual benefit is questionable. There does come a point when we have to ask exactly how much we expect our appliances, including our cars, to do for us. I'll stand by my original assertion, far more fluff than stuff here.

Still, as I said earlier the inclusion of the same, which is bound to be universal within a few years, isn't an inconvenience either so I can take it or leave it. However, I am disappointed that effort has been expended on something so superficial when it could have been directed elsewhere.
Old 7/7/08, 06:12 PM
GT Member

Love Top Gear ( the mag and the TV show ). Apparently NBC is making a US version w/ Adam Carolla. Probably will suck as much the Knight Rider pilot movie.

You are correct that Ford is a benchmark in Europe like Toyota is here. Top Gear compared the Ford S-MAX miniwagon/people carrier ( what all Explorer/Expedition/and dare I say Flex owners will/should be driving w/ $5gal gas looming ) against the competitors from Mercedes, Toyota, and Renault ( the inventor of the type of car, like Chrysler w/ the minivans. )

Jeremy Clarkson, about as anti-US as the Taliban, said the SMAX was better looking, roomier, faster on the track, more fun to drive, and cheaper! Ford has a reputation of being a driver's car in Europe w/ excellent engineering, great interiors, styling, etc. My friend who works @ Ford is always frustrated when we talk on the phone- he says the US Ford engineers don't even know about some of the Euro Ford products and tell him they can't do what Ford Europe has already done! ( His blood pressure really boils on that one ) It's not a surprise that Ford CEO is bringing over the Euro Focus and Fiesta/Verve no later than 2010.

Right now, the only cars that are the same between the Ford US and Ford Europe are....none! Its like they are two separate companies.

Maybe we won't get pushbutton start in 2010, but I am sure we will in the next gen.

Originally Posted by AWmustang
There were many people who had the same complaints/opinions on keyless entry. Saying things like, "This is ridiculous, i have to get my key out to start the car so why not just get it out 5 seconds early and use it in the door as well."

I'm guessing that those of you who do not want (or don't care either way for) the push button start would be right up there complaining if the car didn't have keyless entry. (With the exception of TXBLUEOVAL, who really just wants a 1974 Mustang with 0 miles and a full factory warranty. And there's nothing wrong with that, everyone is entitled to their own wants, hopes and dreams.)

I watch Top Gear (UK car show for those who aren't aware) and many times when a new model comes out, it is held up against the Ford as the standard by which it is to be judged. I'd love to see Ford US get the same treatment. But to do that they need to move forward. In the UK you can get a hardtop convertible Focus, and both the Focus and Mondeo come with push button start. There is talk of both of those models getting a DSG type tranny.

What does Ford US have, oooo we are just now introducing 6 speed slush boxes, but they don't even have manumatic control.
Old 7/7/08, 09:50 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TXBLUOVAL

Electric windows are great, but forego the power locks.

I agree; we should be able to get a WEBER set up as an option (and a 5.4).

Sure beats anything you youngster gearheads are coming up with as far as true old-fashioned American performance goes. Yall are too happy with tiny low-powered V-8(s).
Y'all think I'm a "youngster gearhead"? I'm past 45, dude - how 'bout you?
Old 7/8/08, 05:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Y'all think I'm a "youngster gearhead"? I'm past 45, dude - how 'bout you?
ROFLMAO ... (47 this September ... Well ... I had to get us older gearheads senior recognition somehow) ...
Old 7/8/08, 05:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Talking WHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTT ???? ROFLMAO

(With the exception of TXBLUEOVAL, who really just wants a 1974 Mustang with 0 miles and a full factory warranty.)
ROFLMAO ... Now wait a minute ... THATS BEING TOO FREAKIN' EXTREME ... More like a 69 Mach I with 0.0 miles and a full factory warranty ...

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG ...

No, but they got close with the "select-shift" they put in the last T-birds (if you and I are talking about the same thing ... ???).
Old 7/8/08, 07:50 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

What I did assert is that I said feature to be a somewhat frivolous use of resources, but it is hardly the first and certainly wont be the last. IMO too much money is spent on dubious features like keyless start, 'I-Drive' style setups, etc...which could otherwise be employed to actually make the car a better car. (that is, unfortunately, becoming an increasingly novel concept) Keyless start is coming from Ford and the truth is they need it if for no other reason than the public wants it, but that doesn't mean it isn't a bit silly. Just my opinion.
Not at all a frivolous use of resources. First the market demands it and 2nd, once the engineering is done for the first vehicle (MKS) it's very low cost to do it for every other vehicle in Ford's product line up.

I don't understand the naysayers. On one hand you guys beat up on Ford for being behind the competition. Ford finally is getting around to adding a feature that much of the competition has had for 3+ years and all you guys do is blast Ford for adding something frivolous.
Old 7/8/08, 07:52 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by gnat-sum
Ford has a reputation of being a driver's car in Europe w/ excellent engineering, great interiors, styling, etc. My friend who works @ Ford is always frustrated when we talk on the phone- he says the US Ford engineers don't even know about some of the Euro Ford products and tell him they can't do what Ford Europe has already done! ( His blood pressure really boils on that one ) It's not a surprise that Ford CEO is bringing over the Euro Focus and Fiesta/Verve no later than 2010.

Right now, the only cars that are the same between the Ford US and Ford Europe are....none! Its like they are two separate companies.

Maybe we won't get pushbutton start in 2010, but I am sure we will in the next gen.
Couldn't agree more. Ford US constantly says that Ford's European models won't sell in the US. I guess the marketing geniusus at Ford haven't heard that BMW, Audi & Mercedes are able to sell virtually identical vehicle models in both the US & Euope.
Old 7/9/08, 08:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TXBLUOVAL

No, but they got close with the "select-shift" they put in the last T-birds (if you and I are talking about the same thing ... ???).
Yeah that's exactly what I mean. I think it was available in the Lincoln LS as well. But it should be in the Edge, Fusion and most definitely in the Mustang.
Old 7/9/08, 08:15 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by V10
Not at all a frivolous use of resources. First the market demands it and 2nd, once the engineering is done for the first vehicle (MKS) it's very low cost to do it for every other vehicle in Ford's product line up.

I don't understand the naysayers. On one hand you guys beat up on Ford for being behind the competition. Ford finally is getting around to adding a feature that much of the competition has had for 3+ years and all you guys do is blast Ford for adding something frivolous.
Of course it's frivolous. Why? Because we don't even have a telescoping steering column yet, and it appears rather unlikely that we will be getting one with the refresh. Even a 14k dollar Honda Civic coupe comes with the telescoping steering column. I said before that while it doesn't appeal to me personally, I understand the need for it eventually. The problem is I can think of a list of things as long as my arm worth addressing before keyless start, including better seats for the V6 and GT, telescoping steering column, improved interior materials (the revision seems to go a long way here but this is money which could have been spent going that much further) Items like SYNC are so compelling Ford arguably has to offer them asap. Keyless entry......Ford will eventually have to make this standard as well but the reality is it could have and should waited until other items were addressed.

Put plainly I think a Mustang V6 or GT with a telescoping steering wheel and seats as comfortable as those in a 3-Series is going to broaden it's appeal moreso than one with keyless start. And while it would be nice to not have to choose, at the moment Ford is strapped enough for cash that the inclusion of any item means something else gets put on hold. For me it;s an issue of priorities.
Old 7/9/08, 08:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by gnat-sum
Unquestionably well said. Agree 100%. Rather have better interior materials than pushbutton start and crappy plastic all around it. I'm okay w/ turning a key as long as I don't feel like I am sitting in a Tupperware container for my $32K GT vert. I hope they made the right choice. ( Remember, this is a re-skin, not a new car, so unless the Mustang platform/electronics/wiring harness/space behind dash could accept it, not sure it could be integrated easily )

Would like a nicer key, though, like a flip such as the Mazdas and VWs have.
Thanks gnat...nice to know somebody else 'gets it' too.
Old 7/9/08, 08:36 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by V10
Couldn't agree more. Ford US constantly says that Ford's European models won't sell in the US. I guess the marketing geniusus at Ford haven't heard that BMW, Audi & Mercedes are able to sell virtually identical vehicle models in both the US & Euope.
The problem is Ford's image in the US is still cheap. Whether its deserved or not, the general buying public either believes a ) Ford cars suck or b ) Ford doesn't even make cars. Ford is known as a truck/Explorer/Mustang producer, and the cars aren't even on most people's radar screens. Part of the problem is the cheap stuff forced out into the market w/ incentives lowers the residual value ( i.e. depreciation is greater than comparable Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans. ) This means the leasor must pay more over two years to cover extra depreciation= higher monthly payment. Now seriously, with the damaged quality image, lack of awareness, lack of desire, ad higher monthly payment, no one's taking a chance on a Ford, even if they know it exists.

We all know Fords reliablity quality is on par w/ Toyota, but its the perceived quality that makes the difference. Look at Audi/VW which was left for dead in the 1990s- through awesome styling, interior materials, content and features, it is now a benchmark, even though its electrical reliability has not improved.

This is all the more reason to bring over the Euro Fords ASAP. They have better styling, bigger wheels, better interiors and more features. It's unfortunate that the dollar is so low, and shipping costs across the Atlantic are so high, but I have a radical idea: Sell them at a loss. Ford is already losing money. ( Every U.S. Focus sold loses money, believe it or not. ) But the positive effect of having better product w/ a Ford badge will lift the image of the brand. Look what has happened w/ the Chevy Malibu and Cadillac CTS. You'd think they were Ferraris the way the press talks about them. This is the only way to build up the brand's image. It won't be instant, and unfortunately, everyone always wants an instant fix. But if they bite the bullet now, they will have to spend less money on trying to fake everyone over with advertising and incentives to move unwanted inventory.

Edge, Flex, MKS look promising. Now they need good small, fuel efficient cars. Of course, the Mustang is the golden jewel.
Old 7/10/08, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

It's even simpler than that.

Instead of shipping the European Fords over here, BUILD them here! Don't "Americanize" (read: cheapen, uglify) them, ala Contour & past Focuses, just use the same plans and build identical cars in American factories. No issues of dollar fluctuation or trans-Atlantic shipping.

NA build quality has moved to the top, so if they built desirable cars to begin with, what's the problem?

Yes, I know, bringing them over from Europe would be quicker, but pricing becomes prohibitive with the dollar so weak. So I say again: take the best-sellers in Europe, and BUILD the same cars here!
Old 7/10/08, 01:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Zoomie
It's even simpler than that.

Instead of shipping the European Fords over here, BUILD them here! Don't "Americanize" (read: cheapen, uglify) them, ala Contour & past Focuses, just use the same plans and build identical cars in American factories. No issues of dollar fluctuation or trans-Atlantic shipping.

NA build quality has moved to the top, so if they built desirable cars to begin with, what's the problem?

Yes, I know, bringing them over from Europe would be quicker, but pricing becomes prohibitive with the dollar so weak. So I say again: take the best-sellers in Europe, and BUILD the same cars here!
Been done before. The first gen Focus was as close to the European model as you are reasonably going to get given the differences in safety requirements and epa standards.
Old 7/10/08, 03:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by V10
BMW, Audi, & Mercedes are something that Ford is not: they are premium brands here in the US and have a snob appeal that Ford does not. Ford in the US is an everyman's brand and is not perceived as having the same prestige as BMW, Audi , or Mercedes. So what works for those makes will not necessarily work for Ford.

VW sells nearly identical vehicles in the US & Europe, but the tiny volume they sell in the US is no where near the huge number of vehicles they sell in Europe. GM brought the Opel Astra to the US and the only thing they changed was the that they replaced the Opel badge with a Saturn badge and it's not exactly burning up the sales charts neither.

VW and Saturn do not have snob appeal in the US neither. VW made their name in the US with the original Beetle and Rabbit - economy cars, and Saturn is not thought of as a prestige brand.
Old 7/10/08, 07:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up Good Points

The problem is I can think of a list of things as long as my arm worth addressing before keyless start, including better seats for the V6 and GT, telescoping steering column, improved interior materials (the revision seems to go a long way here but this is money which could have been spent going that much further) ...

Put plainly I think a Mustang V6 or GT with a telescoping steering wheel and seats as comfortable as those in a 3-Series is going to broaden it's appeal moreso than one with keyless start. And while it would be nice to not have to choose, at the moment Ford is strapped enough for cash that the inclusion of any item means something else gets put on hold. For me it;s an issue of priorities.
I got to agree with this one.
Old 7/14/08, 10:22 PM
V6 Member

Keyless entry? Give me a 4v 5.0 and I wouldnt mind if it didnt have doors.
Old 7/14/08, 10:30 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vaheek
thats one way to save weight!

but seriously they already have the technology developed. Its not going to cost them much money or time just figuring out how to fit it into the mustang. they probably already had plans to fit in anyways
Old 7/15/08, 07:12 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

You'd mind a lot when you can't drive it on public roads because it doesn't meet safety regs.
Old 7/15/08, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Talking

ROFLMAO ...

Quick Reply: 2010+ Info as far as we know