2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2010+ Info as far as we know

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/07, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
for us unfimilar with siamese bore... what does that mean? apprecaite any responce on this.
Found this info from Ford:

The Siamese blocks feature solid casting between the cylinder bores, increasing the strength of the block. There are no coolant passages between them the bores.
Old 12/5/07, 12:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by benny02gt
Found this info from Ford:

The Siamese blocks feature solid casting between the cylinder bores, increasing the strength of the block. There are no coolant passages between them the bores.
In response to your question Knight, what benny02GT said is on the money. The elimination of coolant passages between the cylinders themselves means that the bore can be larger for obvious reasons. The potential downside is that this changes cooling properties and can be a problem if the goal is a streetable engine. For example, Siamese bore Windsors are race only blocks completely unsuitable for production. However, there are production based siamese bore engines....GM's LS2 is an example as are some engines produced by Ferrari.
Old 12/5/07, 06:01 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor
I do recall that.
Yes, but while the siamese bore Windsor blocks aren't suitable for production siamese bore V8's have indeed been produced before. Olds had one once for example.
I'd love to see a production 94mm Mod Motor. It ceratainly would breathe some new life into the Mod Motor, between the extra displacement and the improved breathing from the larger bore, I'd expect at least a 40 HP bump. But based on repeated disappointments from Ford, I'm not holding much hope.

I was aware of siamese bore engines as used by Ferraris and other exotics, but didn't realize that Olds did it nor that the LS2 was siamese. Which Olds engine was siamese bore?
Old 12/5/07, 08:59 PM

In response to your question Knight, what benny02GT said is on the money. The elimination of coolant passages between the cylinders themselves means that the bore can be larger for obvious reasons. The potential downside is that this changes cooling properties and can be a problem if the goal is a streetable engine. For example, Siamese bore Windsors are race only blocks completely unsuitable for production. However, there are production based siamese bore engines....GM's LS2 is an example as are some engines produced by Ferrari.
I didn't know the LS2 had a Saimese bore design. I started to dig around and found additional info on the ls1 & LS2 bore design. I found this in a chevy forum:

Gen 4 engines LS2,L92, LY6, etc, are siamese bore design where the Gen 3 (LS1) are conventional design, this means the Gen3 LS motors all circulate coolant around the cylinders, where on the Gen4 engines, coolant only flows around the perimeter of the bores.This is where the Gen4 engines are said to be stronger, due to more material around bores, for reinforcement of cylinders bores. This is the reason LS2,LS4,LS7 are designated as Gen4, due to the revision of the coolant system for the cylinder bores, which is derived from C5R 7.0 engine.

I guess GM has proved you can make a production block with a saimese bore design.
Old 12/5/07, 09:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by V10
I'd love to see a production 94mm Mod Motor. It ceratainly would breathe some new life into the Mod Motor, between the extra displacement and the improved breathing from the larger bore, I'd expect at least a 40 HP bump. But based on repeated disappointments from Ford, I'm not holding much hope.

I was aware of siamese bore engines as used by Ferraris and other exotics, but didn't realize that Olds did it nor that the LS2 was siamese. Which Olds engine was siamese bore?
Olds built a version of their old, propietary V8 in very small numbers with a siamese bore but just how many were built are in disputel. IIRC some say production was as low as 30 units while others claim it to be as high as 1500. I could be off, so don't qoute me.
Old 12/5/07, 09:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hold on, definately don't qoute me. I apparently have my Olds engine data crossed and, after some checking, have discovered that the 30 unit production number is liekly much closer than 1500 and that these weren't production blocks. Well, at least the LS2 still stands to back up my hopes.
Old 12/6/07, 08:06 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
heck the increased bore is all the mod motors really need so if you do use that block along with ford gt heads, it should make some great power.

and thanks to all who answered my question.
Old 12/6/07, 08:58 AM
Team Mustang Source

heck the increased bore is all the mod motors really need so if you do use that block along with ford gt heads, it should make some great power.

and thanks to all who answered my question.
If you took the 5.0L block mentioned in this thread, threw on the GT500's heads, and spec'd the rest of the engine out similar to say...the 03-04 Mach-1...I'd be willing to bet you'd be close to 400hp on a premium gas setup. And I'd also be willing to bet gas mileage would be similar to or better than what you could have gotten from that same Mach-1 all else being equal. Throw in a 6-speed manual tranny and you could have a high 12 second car that would probably beat the current GT in hwy mpg.
Old 12/6/07, 09:09 AM
Needs to be more Astony

and thats exactly what should be done to fend off the camaro and challenger.

being the Mustang GT is what? 600-700lbs lighter then the challenger, it would prob be faster despite the lack of 25-50hp.
Old 12/6/07, 09:26 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
If you took the 5.0L block mentioned in this thread, threw on the GT500's heads, and spec'd the rest of the engine out similar to say...the 03-04 Mach-1...I'd be willing to bet you'd be close to 400hp on a premium gas setup. And I'd also be willing to bet gas mileage would be similar to or better than what you could have gotten from that same Mach-1 all else being equal. Throw in a 6-speed manual tranny and you could have a high 12 second car that would probably beat the current GT in hwy mpg.

I have a high 12 second Mach and I haven't touched my engine, tranny or gears!

The sticking point to getting to 400hp with the setup above I think would be the intake. I'd love for an aluminum version of the magnesium FR500 intake.
Old 12/6/07, 09:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

High 12's? How did you manage that? Drag radials?
Old 12/6/07, 10:16 AM

for us unfimilar with siamese bore... what does that mean? apprecaite any responce on this.
That's where the cylinder bores actually touch/merge with each other rather than being separated by a water passage.

Advantages would be in allowing wider bores in engines with tightly spaced bore centers, i.e., Mod motors, and perhaps a bit of strength, what with the bores reinforcing each other a bit.

Negatives might be degraded cooling by lack of coolent flow through the now blocked of passages and perhaps uneven cylinder bore heating and thus, thermal distortion. I imagine this might be why you generally don't see siamesed cylinders in production cars, certainly not those with hi performance goals. Short-lived, non-warrentied, non-EPA race motors can probably live with the disadvantages in search of greater displacement and power.

My guess if a 5.0 were ever to come to be, which I think unlikely despite the nostalgiac yearnings of many, is that it would be a destroked 5.4 block, perhaps in AL so it doesn't weigh a ton. Another possibility, hinted at by that Ford Mustang customer survey a few months ago, might be an AJ (Jaguar) motor, which apparently will be upsized to 5 liters. While that might be tempting as they are fine motors, that might be a bit of champagne costs for Joe Six Pack Mustang budgets (though maybe cheaper than developing some limited-run Mod based 5.0).

If anything, I think Ford, if they want a really hi-po smallish V8 ought to just really tune up the 4.6. Slap on some heads off the Ford GT with gaping intake and exhaust tracts, put in some crackling 11+:1 pistons (screw this 87 octane foolishness) and tune it like it ought to be tuned. 400+ hp ought to be a readily achievable goal (Audi and BMW are getting 420 plus out of a 4.2 and 4.0 motor respectively) and would make a perfect spiritual descendant to the screaming Boss 302. Sure, a Mod 4.6 wouldn't share the 302/5.0 displacement, but then, it shares nothing else other than a V8 configuration anyways. I'd rather have a screaming 4.6 that is doable than a 5.0 that isn't, just for poetic reasons.

If people want a tractorish torque monster, slap aforementioned GT heads on the 5.4 motor, tune it up a bit and voila, a perfect parts-shelf Mach I motor.
Old 12/6/07, 10:18 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by theedge67
High 12's? How did you manage that? Drag radials?
+ Some suspension mods.
Old 12/6/07, 11:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
In this Blue Oval News thread, Blue II (a Ford insider), drops a BIG hint that the next Mustang V8 will have a CGI block (see posts 36 & 38).
Old 12/6/07, 11:34 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Saw that,
while he doesn't come out directly and say it...

How expensive is a CGI block compared to ALuminum?
and whats the weight difference/strength?

I'm guessing it'll be one of the 2 and not Iron alone.
Old 12/6/07, 11:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Saw that,
while he doesn't come out directly and say it...

How expensive is a CGI block compared to ALuminum?
and whats the weight difference/strength?

I'm guessing it'll be one of the 2 and not Iron alone.
He rarely makes direct statements. I'm sure it's job security related.

I don't know about the cost or strength but from what I understand, CGI weight is comparable to AL.
Old 12/6/07, 11:41 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah, obviously.

I'm suprised how much he actually comes out and says though sometimes.

I updated the original post and added a link to a CGI page
Old 12/6/07, 12:40 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by V10

The old SBC 400 was siamese bore as well, and it was my understanding that the current mod motor is siamese bore as well. Siamese bore engines aren't really a limitation on the street. IIRC irregularly shaped bores wher e aproblem on the first siamese bore engines, but that was solved by grinding the pistons to match the distortion in the bore when things were heated, cooling was also a problem if the deck didn't have steam holes in it. Now though I see drilled passages in the connected bores on some modern siamese bore engines.
Old 12/6/07, 12:46 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
That's where the cylinder bores actually touch/merge with each other rather than being separated by a water passage.

Advantages would be in allowing wider bores in engines with tightly spaced bore centers, i.e., Mod motors, and perhaps a bit of strength, what with the bores reinforcing each other a bit.

Negatives might be degraded cooling by lack of coolent flow through the now blocked of passages and perhaps uneven cylinder bore heating and thus, thermal distortion. I imagine this might be why you generally don't see siamesed cylinders in production cars, certainly not those with hi performance goals. Short-lived, non-warrentied, non-EPA race motors can probably live with the disadvantages in search of greater displacement and power.

My guess if a 5.0 were ever to come to be, which I think unlikely despite the nostalgiac yearnings of many, is that it would be a destroked 5.4 block, perhaps in AL so it doesn't weigh a ton. Another possibility, hinted at by that Ford Mustang customer survey a few months ago, might be an AJ (Jaguar) motor, which apparently will be upsized to 5 liters. While that might be tempting as they are fine motors, that might be a bit of champagne costs for Joe Six Pack Mustang budgets (though maybe cheaper than developing some limited-run Mod based 5.0).

If anything, I think Ford, if they want a really hi-po smallish V8 ought to just really tune up the 4.6. Slap on some heads off the Ford GT with gaping intake and exhaust tracts, put in some crackling 11+:1 pistons (screw this 87 octane foolishness) and tune it like it ought to be tuned. 400+ hp ought to be a readily achievable goal (Audi and BMW are getting 420 plus out of a 4.2 and 4.0 motor respectively) and would make a perfect spiritual descendant to the screaming Boss 302. Sure, a Mod 4.6 wouldn't share the 302/5.0 displacement, but then, it shares nothing else other than a V8 configuration anyways. I'd rather have a screaming 4.6 that is doable than a 5.0 that isn't, just for poetic reasons.

If people want a tractorish torque monster, slap aforementioned GT heads on the 5.4 motor, tune it up a bit and voila, a perfect parts-shelf Mach I motor.

Y'now I've read that the 3v heads were almost to big for a street application. In and of themselves the 3v heads can flow enough air to feed almost 500hp, but in the realm of street motors they are limited by the need to run very mild cam timing both for lengevity and emmissions as well as Ford's mandate for 87 octane compatibility. I've also read that the spark plugs in the 3v are very detonation prone and the cam phasers are really fragile when it comes to increased spring pressures.
Old 12/6/07, 02:05 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by bob
Y'now I've read that the 3v heads were almost to big for a street application.
the weakness in the mod motor has always been its small bore. the heads have been outflowing the block capability for a while.

Quick Reply: 2010+ Info as far as we know