2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

2010+ Info as far as we know

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/08, 09:26 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone needs to throw a lasso on this thread.... I could have sworn this posting was about 2010 Mustang Information.
Old 10/27/08, 04:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by KGray571
Someone needs to throw a lasso on this thread.... I could have sworn this posting was about 2010 Mustang Information.
haha yeah...wow
Old 10/28/08, 12:25 AM

My thoughts exactly. Like 100 posts ago.
Old 10/28/08, 08:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by zzcoop
Maybe the black cladding will be next week's teaser! That way, the designers will be able to give us a pretentious, pseudo-philosophical paragraph or two detailing its origin.
Man, my mild-mannered, bland commentary sure draws lots of responses to have to answer!

zzcoop hits the nail on the head yet again--don't you just gag when you read those "you're-so-lucky-you-have-us-hotshot-designers-telling-you-why-you-should-love-what-we've-served-up-for-your-driving-pleasure" paragraphs? Ewwww...

Greg "Eights" Ates
Old 10/28/08, 08:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

[scribbles furiously in mysterious black notebook]

Tuesday, 9:14 AM CDT, Eights actually agrees with me on something…

Old 10/28/08, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ice Hawk
Wow. Eights man, I understand that there are things that most of us don't like, but I don't recall you saying hardly ANYTHING positive about the refresh so far. Personally, yes, there are things I don't like about it as well, but it won't stop me from liking it over all. It's a Mustang. Pure and simple. Everything that lasts as long as the Mustang has gets its' ups & downs. Its' pros and cons. Its' times that we will remember forever and its' times that we just can't seem to wash out. The fact of the matter is, if people don't like it, they don't buy it. That's the freedom of percieved choice.

As much as I would like to see a light, crisp coupe kin to the '65, it's just not what MOST people want in a car now-a-days. Take me for example, as much as I LOVE the heritage the Mustang comes from, I also LOVE my gadgets and gismos. I'm a tech guy and a car guy. Why can't I have the power and beauty of a Mustang with the luxury and tech of an Audi or BMW? That way I don't have two car payments. It's simply, and I'm sure you understand, so no hard feelings, it's simply marketing to the masses. What most people want, we all are going to get. Democracy in the automotive world.

OTOH: FOUR VOTING DAYS LEFT!!!
Ice Hawk:

"...but I don't recall you saying hardly ANYTHING positive about the refresh so far."

I have said repeatedly that the rear-fender kick-up on the 2010 Mustang is long overdue, and its omission on the '05 S197 was the most serious design flaw of that model.

I have given lukewarm credit to the facelifters for at least moving that nasty antenna stalk to the passenger side rear fender, seein' as how they didn't take the extra effort to embed the antenna into some of the glass like was done to so many vehicles in the previous century...

And I have thanked the facelifters for any upgrades that have been made to interior materials--leathers, fabrics, stitching, whatever...

Unfortunately, that sums up the true improvements--the rest was mostly gadgetry and gimmicks that most folks already have on their cellphones...

"Why can't I have the power and beauty of a Mustang with the luxury and tech of an Audi or BMW?"

Ice, that IS why we have BMWs and Audis. Expensive cars that give you all of that.

Why can't the rest of us have power and beauty in a simple, honest, straightforward car? There are plenty of gadget-laden vehicles to pick from--as there was in April of 1964 when a powerful, beautiful, simple, honest, straightforward car took the U.S. by storm, selling over 1,350,000 units in just two years!

Mustangs are about affordable performance in a really good car.

That's why there are forty-five years and counting of continuous Mustang production. Look at the literally thousands of domestic and imported models that have come and gone in the U.S. since April 17th, 1964 and you'll begin to perceive what an important concept it is to offer affordable performance in a really good car. Stray from that, and soon Mustangs won't be Mustangs anymore...

Greg "Eights" Ates

Last edited by Eights; 10/28/08 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10/28/08, 08:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

There's something to be said for 'straying from that' every now and then. We 'strayed from that' BIG TIME in 1974. And if we hadn't, our beloved Mustang would cease to exist.

And again, I feel I must reiterate... most of the 'gadgetry and gimmicks' are OPTIONAL.
Old 10/28/08, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Isn't that exactly what you're doing in automatically assuming that history will repeat itself and that today's Shelbys will be worth a fortune in another 40 years?

In another 40 years, gas burning muscle cars may not even be allowed on the road, which I suspect will severely curtail their desirability.
Hollywood_North GT:

"Isn't that exactly what you're doing in automatically assuming that history will repeat itself and that today's Shelbys will be worth a fortune in another 40 years?"

Yeah, sorta...but by 40 years from now, gas-burning muscle cars may truly be relics--replaced by lifeless little commuter cubicles with bicycle tires, organically-grown chasses, biodegradable accessories, renewable resource upholstery (Are soy foam seat cushions alarming you yet?), and energy-efficient extension cords to charge up your baby while you sleep the peaceful sleep of the environmentally conscientious...President Nader will be sure you get your proper allotment of envirocredits if you plug your baby into your windmill charging unit. And then some antisocial misfit lays a patch the full length of your street and you wake up wondering if you'd ever have the ***** to drive a car like that if you had the millions it would take to open the bidding on one at Barrett Jackson!

As they say, "Smoke 'em if you got 'em!"

Rear Back, Raise Hell!!! Greg "Eights" Ates
Old 10/28/08, 09:32 AM
Cobra R Member

OK, back to the 2010 Mustang!

If you don't like the next car. keep your 05' or pick one up that is going to be traded in when the new one hits the streets. As far as harking back to the "old days", A modern day GT would destroy all the Mach1s, Bosses and Shelbys of the 60s so please stop thinking that this is the end of muscle cars. I bet in 40 years every car is going to be much faster than our current rides and run on hydrogen or electricity and be just as fun to drive!

Just curious anybody hear any news about the brakes for 10' are they really upgraded or do they just have better pads than the current GT?
Old 10/28/08, 09:32 AM
Bullitt Member

There's something to be said for 'straying from that' every now and then. We 'strayed from that' BIG TIME in 1974. And if we hadn't, our beloved Mustang would cease to exist.

And again, I feel I must reiterate... most of the 'gadgetry and gimmicks' are OPTIONAL.
zzcoop: "There's something to be said for 'straying from that' every now and then."

That's what GM said with the Camaro and Firebird, what Dodge said with the Barracuda and Challenger, Mercury said with the Cougar, American Motors said with the Javelin, and every domestic manufacturer said with the musclecars.

Sooooooooooo, who was right?

Greg "Eights" Ates

Old 10/28/08, 09:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Eights
Sooooooooooo, who was right?
Ford, with the Mustang II. The biggest 'stray from that' of the entire musclecar era.

Your post just proved my point.
Old 10/28/08, 10:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
OK, back to the 2010 Mustang!

If you don't like the next car. keep your 05' or pick one up that is going to be traded in when the new one hits the streets. As far as harking back to the "old days", A modern day GT would destroy all the Mach1s, Bosses and Shelbys of the 60s so please stop thinking that this is the end of muscle cars. I bet in 40 years every car is going to be much faster than our current rides and run on hydrogen or electricity and be just as fun to drive!

Just curious anybody hear any news about the brakes for 10' are they really upgraded or do they just have better pads than the current GT?

97GT03SVT: 'SVT, you seem to be on a different wavelength here. The disappointing (I'm playing nice here to call the facelift "disappointing" although there are more descriptive terms that come to mind...) 2010 Mustang will hardly be "...the end of muscle cars." The world we live in will pretty much take care of that...

"I bet in 40 years every car is going to be much faster than our current rides and run on hydrogen or electricity and be just as fun to drive!"

You sound like those "Popular Science" articles of forty years ago--technology was gonna make forty years from now ("then" now that the forty years have gone by) so prosperous, rosy, and bright! Helipacks that you strapped onto your back for the commute into the center of the gleaming, no-ghettos, no-smokestacks, metropolis and landed at the helipark on the top of your office building for another fulfilling day of pushing the bright buttons on your desk that directed the robots to put in a good day's work. Meanwhile, your slender, attractive spouse (forty years from now [then], there is no such thing as a dumpy bleach blonde) takes the hovercraft to the department stores in Chicago and has lunch with her cloned sister in New Orleans. Little Johnny's class takes the Skytram on an afternoon fieldtrip to the Pyramids while little Suzie takes the monorail to Boston for dance lessons. And the baby dozes peacefully in the upholstered metal arms of the domestibot while the domestibot plays soft lullabies, vacuums, runs the dishwasher, thaws a nourishing and delicious dinner, pays the bills, balances the checkbook, installs a telesynthesizer in the entryway, and calls Joe the Plumber to fix the toilet. Grandpa and Grandma are arriving this evening from their mini-jaunt to Arcturus and will thrill us all with their intergalactic adventures...

Greg "Eights" Ates

Last edited by Eights; 10/28/08 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10/28/08, 10:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Ford, with the Mustang II. The biggest 'stray from that' of the entire musclecar era.

Your post just proved my point.
zzcoop: Note that I have said the following upstream in this thread:

"Not only do I suggest forgetting the styling wilderness of those years--but I'd start the forgetting with the 1971s--bloated whales on the original '64-and-a-half wheelbase stretched only one inch to accommodate more overhang than Dolly Parton! Then came the cutesy '74s (choke, gasp!). '79 brought us the drabbest Mustangs of all time, the (shudder!) Foxes. Eventually, they gave way to the two-door Taurus bars of soap with C-scoops and shoulder creases on each side (omigod!). Finally, some light could be seen at the end of a long, dark tunnel when the "New Edge" Mustangs appeared, but they were screwed up by sporting puckered a**holes for grilles--an over-all improvement nonetheless..."

Sure, it's possible to fornicate up (Boomer is rubbing his chin on this one) a perfectly good car.

That's exactly the point--and why I, disguised as a mild-mannered webhead on a large automotive website, fight a never-ending battle for simplicity, performance, and the American way!

I thought it would be easier once I was more powerful than a locomotive, faster than a speeding Bullitt (heh heh heh), and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound...Greg "Eights" Ates
Old 10/28/08, 10:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford should have put some hips on the current car , put a 400+ HP 5.0/6speed in it improved the brakes and suspension and called it a day. You do not think that car would have sold a ton? They did not have screw with everything else.
Old 10/28/08, 11:04 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
#1 they didn't HAVE a 5.0L 400hp engine in 05...so... well they couldn't sell it even if they wanted to.

#2 Hips or no hips aren't going to make or break a deal on the car...yeah they woulda been nice, but hey...

Who would buy the 2010?

And they'll improve on even THAT stuff in the NEXT generation
Old 10/28/08, 11:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hips are a nice touch and all, but are they really that big a deal? I don't quite get why they're such an OMGMUSTHAVE feature.
Old 10/28/08, 11:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Eights
97GT03SVT: 'SVT, you seem to be on a different wavelength here. The disappointing (I'm playing nice here to call the facelift "disappointing" although there are more descriptive terms that come to mind...) 2010 Mustang will hardly be "...the end of muscle cars." The world we live in will pretty much take care of that...

"I bet in 40 years every car is going to be much faster than our current rides and run on hydrogen or electricity and be just as fun to drive!"

You sound like those "Popular Science" articles of forty years ago--technology was gonna make forty years from now ("then" now that the forty years have gone by) so prosperous, rosy, and bright! Helipacks that you strapped onto your back for the commute into the center of the gleaming, no-ghettos, no-smokestacks, metropolis and landed at the helipark on the top of your office building for another fulfilling day of pushing the bright buttons on your desk that directed the robots to put in a good day's work. Meanwhile, your slender, attractive spouse (forty years from now [then], there is no such thing as a dumpy bleach blonde) takes the hovercraft to the department stores in Chicago and has lunch with her cloned sister in New Orleans. Little Johnny's class takes the Skytram on an afternoon fieldtrip to the Pyramids while little Suzie takes the monorail to Boston for dance lessons. And the baby dozes peacefully in the upholstered metal arms of the domestibot while the domestibot plays soft lullabies, vacuums, runs the dishwasher, thaws a nourishing and delicious dinner, pays the bills, balances the checkbook, installs a telesynthesizer in the entryway, and calls Joe the Plumber to fix the toilet. Grandpa and Grandma are arriving this evening from their mini-jaunt to Arcturus and will thrill us all with their intergalactic adventures...

Greg "Eights" Ates
OK i'm going to be short and sweet.

Again if you don't like the 10' model, keep yours and don't buy a new one. I don't see the big deal, this refresh is looking very minor...... pretty much like your beloved 05' car with very minor tweaks.

The performance of these cars is head and shoulders above the classic Mustangs that everyone dreams about. Looks are subjective, you like the 05', I like the 4th gen cars more. Everyone has their own opinion. The point I was making is that nobody ever thought these cars would rebound after the end of the first muscle car era.

In 2008 are cars are faster, brake better, can actually handle and have all the gadgets and gizmos too! (not a fan of all of them but like the idea of having a choice in the matter). So I feel that we will again get around the fuel crisis again. We just gotta wait and see the tech catch up to us again.

I wasn't around to remember the late 70s but I doubt many thought that we would see 12 second stock Mustangs that get much better MPGs of any of the muscle cars of "back in the day". Though we may hit a bump in performance in the near future, we will always rebound and will have fast and fun eco- cars.
Old 10/28/08, 11:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im just saying for the 2010 they could have simply added hips to the current style let the rear alone as the new one is really no improvement. Put the 5.0 in it, upgrade the brakes and suspension. That could have been the refresh. Do you not think it would have sold? The make and break is really the HP. They probably could have left the car alone put a 300HP V6 and a 400 HP V8 in it with bigger brakes and a better tuned suspension and sold tons. Like Eights says if you want all the doda's and the look of a euro car why not just buy one. All they had to do is give us more HP.
Old 10/28/08, 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

OPTIONAL
Old 10/28/08, 11:49 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Personally, they needed to change everything.
If it stayed with just minor changes you may have grabbed some people on the HP, but the visual changes would have been so miniscule that it may not sell well above and beyond that, especially with (depending on how you look at it 'new' camaro and the challenger out)
Heck even now (again not seeing it in final trim) people think it looks the same...when really...it doesn't.

I think myself, that the new car will date the 05-09 once its seen in final trim/paint.
The design has been around long enough that change is required. While a lot of us may not think that, the general public sees the market flooded with 05-09s...

Quick Reply: 2010+ Info as far as we know