Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

83 Mercury Zephyr z7 project

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/11, 04:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
While we are having some Fairmont fun... Here is some unusual sights...

If you thought the Ford Elite died at the end of the 1976 model year, think again... This one lived on as The Ford Elite II in Mexico. It used the 1981 Ford Granada front end with Zephyr taillamps.
Attached Thumbnails 83 Mercury Zephyr z7 project-f05-0040932.jpg   83 Mercury Zephyr z7 project-f05-0040935.jpg   83 Mercury Zephyr z7 project-f05-0040893.jpg  
Old 8/2/11, 04:39 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This Mexican Fairmont Squire Wagon used the Zephyr grille and fender vents while making use of color keyed Granada wheel covers. Also notice the F O R D letters spaced out on the hood which was unlike the US models which used a FORD badge on the left side of the hood above the headlamps.
Attached Thumbnails 83 Mercury Zephyr z7 project-elite-ii-1.jpg  

Last edited by watchdevil; 8/2/11 at 04:48 AM.
Old 8/3/11, 11:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was actually quite easy to wire up the 'stang cluster, need to move some wires around, but that info can be found online easily. I found the second connector in a junkyard, cut it out of a late 80s crown vic. Just about any early to mid 80s and some late 80s Fords will have that style connector, it's the same as the existing single connector in the Fairmont. Just make sure you change out your sending units for coolant and oil to the proper gauge style units so that you don't burn out the gauges.

Last edited by frdtch05gt; 8/3/11 at 11:38 PM.
Old 8/4/11, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by frdtch05gt
It was actually quite easy to wire up the 'stang cluster, need to move some wires around, but that info can be found online easily. I found the second connector in a junkyard, cut it out of a late 80s crown vic. Just about any early to mid 80s and some late 80s Fords will have that style connector, it's the same as the existing single connector in the Fairmont. Just make sure you change out your sending units for coolant and oil to the proper gauge style units so that you don't burn out the gauges.
OK I will keep this in mind when I get to that stage. On my car I bought 79-93 power window kit from electric life. I am hoping they work, they sure visually look close but I have not held them up to each other yet.
Old 8/10/11, 11:58 PM
Cobra Member

Let me know if that power window kit works, I'll be looking to convert mine eventually too. I'm getting ready to do a power lock installation on my car, shouldn't be too tricky to do from what I've been reading.
Old 8/12/11, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by frdtch05gt
Let me know if that power window kit works, I'll be looking to convert mine eventually too. I'm getting ready to do a power lock installation on my car, shouldn't be too tricky to do from what I've been reading.
What are you using for the power lock acuators? I would like to do that but I just figured it was going to be a nightmare so I did not look into it. I have been gaining a bit , still getting parts though which I thought I would have had by now. I am trying to decide whether to modify my column or put in a keyless push button aftermarket one. I will say though I am getting tired of buying parts for it and want to just get it done.
Old 8/14/11, 02:57 PM
Cobra Member

I got a pair of power lock actuators on ebay that came with a selection of different rods to hook onto the stock latch, just need to get to the wrecking yards and pick up a few lock switches and pigtails. I'll wire it all up myself with a few relays under the dash and get a few switch bezels from the parts stores, they have the bezels in the "Help" section.
Old 8/26/11, 11:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Nothing to do with this post but I wanted to inform people about something that has been going on .

Some person is pretending to me on some other sites and posting various nasty remarks. I just wanted to give some heads up on this. So far most of what I have found out about from friends and etc is about the Spring Green car show and the people who are involved with this. I am only a member of this site and mp3car which I forgot what my login is on that one because I have not been there so long. I only use my last name here my name here because I figure this to be a work related site for me.

I have no idea who this person is for sure. For the person or persons who is doing this, I hope someday you grow up and get a life. I am assuming this same person hacked into my email account, which if it makes you happy to do this, then whatever, I do not use my email for anything very important except for getting information about how to install a part I am not familiar with or to send birthday type greetings for the main part.
Old 8/29/11, 12:26 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I didn't know, until now, that there was a Fairmont pickup. Built from 1980-1981, it was called a Ford Durango. Between 89-200 were produced (depending on a source) and they were powered by a 200cid I6.

Old 8/30/11, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

were those offer in the USA or in Australia? I knew of people making custom ones converting the fairmont over to one. I guess it is kind of neat. I would love to see Ford make a Ranchero from the Taurus or mustang lines and Chevy make one off the new Camaro. Every time I stand in the front of my camaro I can picture an el camino from it.

I have been working on the brown fairmont alot and am hoping to have the bulk of the work done this week with just some wiring and finishing work for next week. As far as Dandy lion goes, I really have it on hold until this customer car is done and then I intend on doing some winter prep work and back on it hard.
Old 8/31/11, 04:37 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Grell
were those offer in the USA or in Australia?
The USA.
Old 8/31/11, 10:37 AM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Star
I didn't know, until now, that there was a Fairmont pickup. Built from 1980-1981, it was called a Ford Durango. Between 89-200 were produced (depending on a source) and they were powered by a 200cid I6.

nice, which reminds me.... I saw a ranchero dressed up like a Lincoln Mark V the other day....
Old 9/2/11, 11:56 AM
Bullitt Member

I am looking for some advice on doing a transmission crossmember for the brown fairmont I am doing. The transmission cross member in this car has the narrow one and needs to be moved back about 1.5 inches aprox. I am trying to find a way to mount this easily without alot of grief. The car is undercoated so that makes it a mess. If anyone knows of a kit I can buy please list it.
Old 8/11/12, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Update on this project.

The car was soda blasted and the underneath was painted yellow to match at a local body shop. I do not have the car back yet but hope soon and will be posting alot of new pictures showing the changes made to it and the reassembly of the new suspension and coyote engine. The rear axle was painted yellow to match and I am taking it to the local ford dealer to rebuild it as I do not do gear set ups. I was hoping this car would have been done a long time ago but unfortunately it isn't. I hope to finish it this next winter for next spring and summer cruising. I also am hoping to move onto other projects.
Old 8/11/12, 09:43 PM
FR500 Member

It lives! Better late than never. At least there is more DOHC 5.0 swap knowledge to draw from online. Will be looking forward to updates and "other projects" (TT Mustang II?).