Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

83 Mercury Zephyr z7 project

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/11, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have suggestions on the suspension. I have been in contact with both griggs and maximum motorsports and am still undecided. I really almost am thinking of doing a full road race suspension, I dont mind stiff ride but I am really after handling. However if a basic kit will do everything I want then I will be content with that. I am wondering about sway bars and coilovers. some say I dont need sway bars, some say yes . I guess I am stuck. any advice will be appreciated.
Parts should be coming in this week and next week I am thinking.
Old 1/17/11, 05:02 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i've heard great things about Griggs and MM. MM is usually a bit less money though. ive seen a few MM parts and they all appeared to be well made, but i cant say anything for having run them on my car

Pretty sure Evil_Capri has some MM parts on his Mach though.

I would call/email both companies and ask them directly what they think would be best for your car and its purposes. ive talked to MM quite a few times about theoretical mods i was doing to my car and they were more than willing to help me out, despite no promise of me even buying anything.
Old 1/17/11, 06:13 PM
FR500 Member

Either of the two are fine IMO. Maybe Agent 47 could also be considered.
Have some MM parts (still uninstalled F/R Bilstein coilovers and non-adjustable LCA's w/3pc. poly & spherical bushings) and they do look and feel well-made. If you're going with poly bushings for the rear lower control arms, I'd suggest J&M's version. Have heard their 3-piece bushing design is a bit more durable.
Getting a Watts Link for the rear suspension?
Old 1/19/11, 09:01 AM
Bullitt Member

I have had conversation with both griggs and Maximum Motorsports. I am getting on the right track i think.
Old 1/23/11, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

I think I am over my budget, I was hoping to do this car for $30,000 originally, then I thought I will add another $5,000 for the things that come up in misc. category. Then I readded and was at $40,833.90 and Then I realized I forgot a few more things. I guess this doesn't surprise me. I was asked if this car was worth anything when it was done and I simply replied about $85.00.
Old 1/23/11, 11:59 AM
Post *****

Car projects always have a way of exceeding the expectations of your budget lol.
Old 1/23/11, 07:07 PM
Bullitt Member

The first parts are ordered, woot. Kind of out of sequence but I ordered the new carpet. Tomorrow the engine and trans and suspension gets ordered considering all goes well.
Old 1/25/11, 01:06 PM
Post *****

Old 1/26/11, 10:04 AM
Bullitt Member

rack and pinion ordered, front sway bar ordered, suspension will be ordered as soon as we decide on what control arms, and the 6 piston baer brakes at all 4 corners will be ordered all today.
Old 1/26/11, 10:59 AM
FR500 Member

Sounds like this car is going to end up way beyond what was originally planned in the 1st post.
Old 1/27/11, 01:01 PM
Post *****

I think we can definitively say it will be the tightest Mercury Zephyr on the block
Old 1/27/11, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by future9er24
I think we can definitively say it will be the tightest Mercury Zephyr on the block

I sure hope there isnt more then 1 on the block, That be alot of FUGLY if there was lol
Old 1/27/11, 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Sounds like this car is going to end up way beyond what was originally planned in the 1st post.
how true
Old 1/27/11, 06:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
There were 2 of these in the philly ares in the early 90's that had a Boss 429 and the other was installed a SOHC 427 cammer.. Both pretty famous cars back then around here.. They both ran in the 10's and were show winning cars..
Old 1/28/11, 12:02 PM
Bullitt Member

If memory serves me, I think they were both featured in one of the magazines. was one red with black stripes ? I actually really love these cars. I like the fact they are based on the fox chassis and are a bit bigger then the mustang. I think the wheel base is 105 inches. I have a couple of nieces that like going to movies in this car with me and etc. They think the fold down seats are the coolest things since they have never road in a car before this that had that. CAR COMPANIES ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION?????????
Old 1/28/11, 02:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Maximum Motorsports suspension kit ordered. It contains front , and full rear suspension. This thing should handle, it uses urethane bushings and coil overs at all four corners and front and rear sway bars made for this kit and a flaming rivers manual quick ratio rack. Brakes are ordered, 6 piston baer 14 inch rotors at all 4 corners with parking brake assemblies on rear. Red Calipers. I didnt know what color to pick so I just thought red will be fine. Engine and Transmission , radiator and etc will be ordered first part of next week. Then a few misc. parts will be ordered also.
Old 1/28/11, 03:18 PM
Post *****

Old 1/28/11, 06:41 PM
FR500 Member

Can't wait to see the pics of the car being put together!

You're going with MM's torque arm/panhard suspension setup for the rear axle? If so, guess you don't have to worry about the TA's subframe connector mount interfering with the X or H pipe since the Merc has a longer wheelbase.
Old 1/29/11, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0

Can't wait to see the pics of the car being put together!

You're going with MM's torque arm/panhard suspension setup for the rear axle? If so, guess you don't have to worry about the TA's subframe connector mount interfering with the X or H pipe since the Merc has a longer wheelbase.
I wondered about that myself.

Parts started coming in Yesterday. I have the clutch quandrant kit and the trans crossmemeber. Nothing too exciting yet. I am going to see if I can borrow a newer camera to take pictures with and start posting good pics. My Camera is old and uses floppy disks. I plan on posting some video clips. I talked to a friend who has a video camera for that.
Old 1/29/11, 09:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
correct. Red with black stripes and the other was black with silver and blue stripes. A local famous ford mechanic built both of em

Originally Posted by Grell
If memory serves me, I think they were both featured in one of the magazines. was one red with black stripes ? I actually really love these cars. I like the fact they are based on the fox chassis and are a bit bigger then the mustang. I think the wheel base is 105 inches. I have a couple of nieces that like going to movies in this car with me and etc. They think the fold down seats are the coolest things since they have never road in a car before this that had that. CAR COMPANIES ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION?????????

Quick Reply: 83 Mercury Zephyr z7 project