Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

83 Mercury Zephyr z7 project

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/11, 09:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
correct. Red with black stripes and the other was black with silver and blue stripes. A local famous ford mechanic built both of em.. Here is the red one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...item35af534fcd

here is the black one

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-fairmont.html

Originally Posted by Grell
If memory serves me, I think they were both featured in one of the magazines. was one red with black stripes ? I actually really love these cars. I like the fact they are based on the fox chassis and are a bit bigger then the mustang. I think the wheel base is 105 inches. I have a couple of nieces that like going to movies in this car with me and etc. They think the fold down seats are the coolest things since they have never road in a car before this that had that. CAR COMPANIES ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION?????????

Last edited by topbliss; 1/29/11 at 09:35 AM.
Old 1/31/11, 02:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today the following has been ordered.
the 2011 5.0 coyote engine
the alternator kit
the control pack kit
the engine cover
The TKO 600 Trans package from American Powertrain
The aeromotive fuel tank kit with the built in pumps.
exhaust tail pipes
be cool radiator with dual fans
3.73 limited slip 31 spline kit and axle shafts
still need the sn95 spindles and motor mounts and not sure what all yet. wheels and tires will be ordered last to make sure they clear the baer 14 inch pro plus 6 piston brakes. I need to order the master cyl kit yet also because I am not doing the hydroboost. I just think the manual brake will be much simpler and I can change that later if I decide to as well as to power steering and air conditioning which I do intend to add in the future. I am deciding on a stereo system and I know I want GPS built in. Just not sure what one yet.
Old 1/31/11, 09:36 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
man the rate of progress in this thread makes all of mine look like crap

can't wait to see it start to come together
Old 2/1/11, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

The flaming river quick ratio rack came in today as well as the Maximum Motorsports front sway bar. Both pieces look very nice.
I am getting really excited and motivated, That is something that hasnt really seriously happened for a few years. It doesn't make alot of snese except this is a project I had planned for about 30 years. I did change the type of build going from full caged pro street car to what is now loosely interputed on a road race type build with a very streetable and maybe good mpg which with need with $4 gallon gas coming, project. I think my friends and family dread seeing me because all I talk about is this project.
Old 2/1/11, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Had conversation with BBK and they think around the first of March to have the swap headers available. That willl make things nice. I saw some preliminary pics on a different forum and they look good.
Old 2/2/11, 10:10 PM
FR500 Member

The flaming river quick ratio rack came in today as well as the Maximum Motorsports front sway bar. Both pieces look very nice.
I am getting really excited and motivated, That is something that hasnt really seriously happened for a few years. It doesn't make alot of snese except this is a project I had planned for about 30 years. I did change the type of build going from full caged pro street car to what is now loosely interputed on a road race type build with a very streetable and maybe good mpg which with need with $4 gallon gas coming, project. I think my friends and family dread seeing me because all I talk about is this project.
No worries, we're all ears here! You can even show off pics of those car parts as they arrive and get installed - we don't mind!
Old 2/3/11, 08:16 AM
Bullitt Member

I will snap some pics in the near future of those parts.
Old 2/3/11, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

The Transmission kit will be coming soon. I heard from American Powertrain and they are putting it together. One thing that persuaded me to purchase from American Powertrain is they offer a 24 month warranty that starts when installed in the car. They allow up to 24 months for installation. It is nice to have a company that knows we dont always build projects over night.
Old 2/4/11, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

More parts are suppose to be delivered on monday, axle shafts with 5 lug pattern and 31 splines. traction lock, 3.73 gears, radiator with fans, back cover, I will be ordering other parts soon. I have my master cylinder info so i can order that, and the manual brake conversion kit . I downloaded the control pack wiring insturctions for the engine and this looks very straight forward and doesnt look like it will be difficult at all, time will tell though lol
Old 2/4/11, 06:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Maximum motorsports parts are on it's way, just got the ups notification. It says 5 boxes weigh 58 lbs. This seems awefully light. Not sure if that is the case or what.
Old 2/4/11, 11:07 PM
V6 Member

Today the following has been ordered.
the 2011 5.0 coyote engine
the alternator kit
the control pack kit
the engine cover
The TKO 600 Trans package from American Powertrain
The aeromotive fuel tank kit with the built in pumps.
exhaust tail pipes
be cool radiator with dual fans
3.73 limited slip 31 spline kit and axle shafts
still need the sn95 spindles and motor mounts and not sure what all yet. wheels and tires will be ordered last to make sure they clear the baer 14 inch pro plus 6 piston brakes. I need to order the master cyl kit yet also because I am not doing the hydroboost. I just think the manual brake will be much simpler and I can change that later if I decide to as well as to power steering and air conditioning which I do intend to add in the future. I am deciding on a stereo system and I know I want GPS built in. Just not sure what one yet.
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!

LOL...............That's quite a jump from the first page!!!!!!!!!!

Should be cool as hell!
Old 2/5/11, 02:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder
HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!

LOL...............That's quite a jump from the first page!!!!!!!!!!

Should be cool as hell!
Thanks, I hope it is.

I am calling it "FineTuning" from original ideas. lol
Old 2/5/11, 02:58 PM
V6 Member

Thanks, I hope it is.

I am calling it "FineTuning" from original ideas. lol
LMMFAO@"FineTuning"!
Old 2/6/11, 01:16 AM
FR500 Member

Maximum motorsports parts are on it's way, just got the ups notification. It says 5 boxes weigh 58 lbs. This seems awefully light. Not sure if that is the case or what.
Wouldn't that be a good thing? Means the parts should provide a good weight reduction. My MM STB is pretty darn light - the heavy stuff would have to be the dampers and the coilover springs, given their size. Wish I could go crazy ordering suspension components... need to find that 2nd job.
Old 2/6/11, 10:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Wouldn't that be a good thing? Means the parts should provide a good weight reduction. My MM STB is pretty darn light - the heavy stuff would have to be the dampers and the coilover springs, given their size. Wish I could go crazy ordering suspension components... need to find that 2nd job.
I knew this stuff says it is light but I was shocked when it said 58 lbs. If it is then wow this light. I will find out Thursday and post here.
Old 2/7/11, 09:49 AM
Bullitt Member

The radiator, rear axle components, tailpipes were delivered today. They look good. The Tailpipes are 3 inch flow master aluminized and I hope they fit with the maximum motorsports suspension. They look really nice and look holding them up in place like they will be right what I want. I wanted stainless but couldnt find any mandrel bent. These if fit will be fine. I am going to start ordering some more parts. I took a break to kind of see where I was exactly and not duplicate parts ordered. I am hoping to have this project done by the end of March, or at least mainly done with maybe a few minor things to adjust. Even if this project doesnt turn out fantastic, it should be alot of fun when finished.
Old 2/7/11, 03:20 PM
Bullitt Member

whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooooooooo The Baer Brakes are getting shipped tonight. That is much faster then I was expecting. I expected 4 weeks. I am like a kid at Christmas!!!! (No offense to those who do not celebrate Christmas)
Old 2/8/11, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Engine control pack shipped, the alternator kit shipped and the engine cover shipped, all coming from FMS direct. The engine is on back order I guess but it doesnt sound like it is suppose to be long. The Aeromotive tank is on back order it seems till March 2. That isnt too big of a deal since it is probably last to go in. Well I could rewrite this but as I was typing this, Summit racing called me and informed me the engine and control pack on coming the 14th. so the control pack isnt shipped yet. TALK ABOUT REAL TIME UPDATING lol.

As excited as I am about doing this project which I can not explain or make sense of in anyway, but I might be as excited as Aaron Rodgers is! lol
Old 2/8/11, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

maximum motorsports manual brake conversion kit with pedal, master cylinder, apportionate valve, and brake line adaptor kit ordered. I was reccomended to get residual valves for the 6 piston baer brakes. I wondered as from what I am reading that most master cylinders are for 4 piston brakes.

I am trying to figure out how to eliminate the factory duraspark ignition and voltage regulator without rewiring the car. Any input will be greatly apreciated. I think i can just unplug them but not sure.
Old 2/8/11, 06:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I am considering the Florida 5.0 guage panel kit. These look pretty sweet. I might be able to machine something myself but if I can just buy it and put in and save some time I think that is a better option, I can always modify something later if I wish I guess.

Quick Reply: 83 Mercury Zephyr z7 project