Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

83 Mercury Zephyr z7 project

Search this Thread

Old 11/1/10, 07:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grell
I am not quite sure why , but ford had different fenders for the fairmont and the zephyr, My Zephyr has fake grilles between the wheel and door, all the fairmonts I had did not have this.
It was just an additional styling feature for the Mercury Zephyr models in an attempt to make it look more distinguished from the Ford Fairmont models. Louvered fender grilles were also used on 1977-79 Thunderbirds and Lincoln Continental Mark V's...
Old 11/1/10, 07:30 AM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see the FAST's EZ efi controller will control their XIM coil pack controller for a Modular motor. A 5.4 2v or 3 v takes the same set up. That would be nice. It just gets a bit expenisve consider about $2500 in efi electronics. It cant handle boost or Nitrous but I am not after that in this car.
I just put one of these on a 347 stroker we built. Sure it's expensive, but you want to have your cake and eat it to!
Old 11/1/10, 01:54 PM
Bullitt Member

what is your overall opinion on the FAST E-Z system?
Old 11/1/10, 03:03 PM
Bullitt Member

This is what I am thinking at this point, and this will probably change alot. I guess I am using this more as a sound off to try to come to my final decision.

I been doing alot of looking at doing th 460/tko600 swap. I did find a nice hydraulic roller cam for the 2500 to 6000 rpm range. That might be a bit more then I want but it would be fun.

If funds were no object, and I could do what I really wanted , I would build a 5.4 dohc with a custom intake and 6 speed. with the FAST ecm and modular racing front mount distributor for control. I would do the griggs gr40 suspension, baer brakes and leather interior and a few other things and cut my own wheels. But I figure on paper that is about $68,000 and The car is worth about $2500 . I need to win the lottery
Old 11/1/10, 03:19 PM
I don't do trannies
or rear-ends anymore!

what is your overall opinion on the FAST E-Z system?
Simple and effective. I didn't pay $2500 though, master WD has some perks you know?
Old 11/1/10, 04:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I am curious about the sensors requied. I know one has to use some GM sensors but I am not sure what ones, I know the ez retero is like 900 and some change and the xim is like 800 or so, so that is 1700 and the snesors , I rounded up to 2500 so i probably have cushion.
Old 11/5/10, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Pricing out a 5.4 2v . this would be built to specs and I was told 2v heads have more lower torque then 4v heads
Old 11/6/10, 12:32 AM
FR500 Member

If the 5.4 2V is chosen, are you going to go with ported PI heads, or aftermarket aluminum heads?
Old 11/6/10, 03:05 PM
Bullitt Member

I think trick flow if I go this route. The thing is trying to find an intake manifold, I did see adaptors for using a 4.6 intake. Then brings up headers.
Old 11/6/10, 03:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I just heard Edelbrock sold out to another company, so we all know the quality will be garbage made in china crap. It sickens me to hear of another company getting bought out for it's name. We have seen too many good companies go down this route.
Old 11/7/10, 04:10 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I just heard Edelbrock sold out to another company, so we all know the quality will be garbage made in china crap. It sickens me to hear of another company getting bought out for it's name. We have seen too many good companies go down this route.
Interesting, its a publicly traded firm so the family (which owned over 50% of the stock) must have sold some shares, but I haven't seen anything about a sale or massive stock purchase.
Old 11/8/10, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

checked into the new 5.0 coyote engine. I can get one with the control pack and alternator kit for about $8,000.00. This was from jeg's. 412 horsepower and 26mpg+ This might not be a bad combo. I think right now I am leaning this way, but it could change. Eventually I will figure out what way i want to go. It is all just so much money.
Old 11/8/10, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I have been doing more research on the coyote 5.0 and I am about 80 percent convinced on this engine. I would like to know what the exhaust flanges are like to make headers. I think we have a winner possibly
Old 11/8/10, 07:56 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 11/8/10, 10:24 PM
FR500 Member

That would be interesting. There's a project Fox on another forum that is building a Fox Mustang with a Coyote 5.0 crate motor. IIRC, the headers are going to be custom made. Also have to figure out how to adapt a power steering pump for the front accessory drive if the car will retain power steering. Not sure about how the brake (hydroboost?) setup differs with this one either. Kind of tough with so many viable choices, huh? As long as it's a Ford engine in a Ford and not a SBC/LSx under that hood, it should be good.
Old 11/9/10, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

well, since you mentioned it, I also have a 2010 camaro ss with every option and I considered putting a 6.2 in this zephyr. But I also like the idea of keeping my ford all ford and my chevy all chevy.

I have decided to go ahead and use the 5.0 coyote. This is the final decision. I am going to go with a 6 speed manual, and 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears. I am going with Baer brakes so I have to run 17 or larger wheels which is ok because i have a set of blanks that are 18 by 8.5 inch for front and 20 by 8.5 inch for the rear that will work. I will machine my own design. That is the part I am not a fan of doing on this car because I think 15 inch would look more at home but we do what we must. I will be purchasing the aeromotive tank and etc kit and I think the maximum motorsport suspension. This thing should be a sweet simple bolt together car. The car is also going to get repainted and some light interior work. I have a team hired for helping so I can get it done in a hurry. I am going to gether parts for the next couple of months and then start the physical part. I will post as parts come in and as work progresses. I also have a mustang II build going so I have my hands full.
Old 1/5/11, 02:42 PM
Bullitt Member

It looks like I am going to be able to do this project for $35,000.00 usd. I am starting to order the parts for this project and hopefully will have all the parts in the next 3 weeks. Or at least what I can think of at the moment. I am using the new 5.0 as it looks to fit nice in the engine bay and I think I am going with the 700 ft lb Hurst/Tremec 6 speed. I also am deciding on the suspension. I think 35 will do this but I am allowing $40,000 for it. So get ready, fasten your saftey belts and hang on for what should be a really cool streetable, decent performance, good handling ride. woot
Old 1/6/11, 09:02 PM
FR500 Member

It looks like I am going to be able to do this project for $35,000.00 usd. I am starting to order the parts for this project and hopefully will have all the parts in the next 3 weeks. Or at least what I can think of at the moment. I am using the new 5.0 as it looks to fit nice in the engine bay and I think I am going with the 700 ft lb Hurst/Tremec 6 speed. I also am deciding on the suspension. I think 35 will do this but I am allowing $40,000 for it. So get ready, fasten your saftey belts and hang on for what should be a really cool streetable, decent performance, good handling ride. woot
You know I'll be watching this thread and maybe read about it in a car mag too sometime in the near future.
Old 1/7/11, 07:48 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by hi5.0
You know I'll be watching this thread and maybe read about it in a car mag too sometime in the near future.
Me too
Old 1/7/11, 01:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I talked with American Powertrain today about buying a transmission package from them. They are working on a package of the clutch, pressure plate throwout bearing, bell housing, transmission and etc. The TKO 600 5 speed transmission looks to be an easier more simple install so I might be changing to that. I dont think it is going to matter that much overall for what my intentions are for this car. I do know I just want the car built durable and reliable and of course the rest as I have stated before. I have been looking at wheels alot and brakes and I am nto sure what I am going with yet but I am leaning towards the american racing shelby argent color 5 spokes as a possiblitiy and I am sure I will go with baer brakes, just not sure which series.

Quick Reply: 83 Mercury Zephyr z7 project