Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

83 Mercury Zephyr z7 project

Search this Thread

Old 2/27/11, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wanted to post this link. It is full of stock and non stock fairmonts and zephyrs in every form from drag race to oval track to 2 door to wagons and on the custom page a cool 2 door wagon. I wanted to do something like that someday. I might still do it even if it is done, just not this car.
http://stuartscustoms.freeyellow.com/Fairmont.html
Old 2/27/11, 11:20 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Grell
wanted to post this link. It is full of stock and non stock fairmonts and zephyrs in every form from drag race to oval track to 2 door to wagons and on the custom page a cool 2 door wagon. I wanted to do something like that someday. I might still do it even if it is done, just not this car.
http://stuartscustoms.freeyellow.com/Fairmont.html
Thanks for posting! I still want to build a Wagon DD one day. Have had images rolling around in my head for too long!!
Old 3/4/11, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Just got back in, I hauled a Ferrari 458 Challenge Car for Scott Tucker this week to Sebring Florida at the race track. He was testing his other 458 and wanted this one there too. Then I hauled both of them back o his shop. No pressure, only $900,000.00 worth of cars. (sarcasm about the no pressure). I was sweating bullets the whole time there and back, especaily back with 2 of them. I will post pictures of this. A buddy of mine snapped pics of me next to them. I snapped a picture of them in the trailer on my phone but I don't know how to get it on my pc. My buddy will be sending them to me in the future. He works for Scott Tucker's team and they are really busy right now getting ready for the 12 hours of Sebring and all the other races. Overall it was a really very cool thing to do. I will try to get some links but you can search Scott Tucker and see more about him. It is called Level 5 Racing.
Old 3/4/11, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I have the transmission here . I will post pictures in a couple of days.
Old 3/9/11, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Ran into a bit of a snag. The aeromotive tank came in today. Nice piece and all but I went to see if it was going to fit and to my not so happy self found out no way. So I am up to a few options. I can modify the trunk floor to fit so I can use this tank, I can send the tank back but I planned a few things around this tank, or I can buy a new zephyr tank and cut this tank up and weld the sump and in tank pump kit onto the zephyr tank. The difference is on the fill side the zephyr has a full size spare and the mustang must have a temperary spare. Also the zephyr straps are 19 inches apart outside to outside and the mustang is 22 and some change apart out side to out side. If I remember how I measured it that is. I measured it earlier this morning so I may have forgot if it was outside or center measurements, either way it doesnt matter it doesnt fit as is. If I modify the car to fit this tank, I might have Ring Borther do that work as they are 8 miles from me and can fit it in right away for me as we are good friends so If I go this route, I will have them modify the wheel tubs and weld the subframe connectors in at the same time. I can do the work but it would free me up to do other things.

The other news is I am over my modified budget of $55,000.00 now. I thought that one would hold but with the rising costs today it didn't. This is parts only with no labor. I keep looking at everything and keep wondering , ok , where is it but it is there somewhere. I guess when you buy all new and you don't second rate anything it adds up faster then one expects. Hopefully it is all worth it when it is done.
Old 3/9/11, 09:45 PM
FR500 Member

Well, that was unexpected. I'd vote for cutting the trunk floor to make the fuel tank fit, plus, that would probably make the mini-tub installation a touch easier as well. Don't know if there are any temporary spares out there that would clear the brake combo this car will have.
The budget part is not so surprising - think we've all been there at some point when it comes to car modifications. Oh well, do it right the first time and you should only have to do it once. I'm sure you have heard horror stories about those who have spent (far) more and ended up with something less than what the sum of the parts would indicate.
Old 3/10/11, 11:52 AM
Bullitt Member

I was removing the amps and subwoofers etc that i had installed in he car and the box etc a few years ago. It is hard to beleive that 4 12 inch mojo m3 subs and a mojo 4000 watt rms amp weighs so much. The car raised over an inch after taking out 400 lbs of stereo. So of course that just reminded me of how good this car is as far as being rust free. I also looked at the wheel wells and I am not sure why I thought i needed to do some mods to them, I think they will work just fine. I am still deciding on if I am going to modify the car for the tank or not. I just have a hard time cutting up a car that is so good shape. It doesn't matter what the value is just that this thing is quite nice. If Ring Brothers do the mods I know they will be done to look nice. I probably will just have them do the subframe connectors at the same time if I do it. I can install them and could do this other work but I kind of have my hands full and My shop is a disaster not being moved into the new part to work so the old part is jammed pack full. I guess I will be weighing out options today and tomorrow.
Old 3/13/11, 05:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Worked on the car quite a bit this weekend. The gauge pod is being sent in tomorrow to Dakota Digital for a custom panel. I am not sure the digital is the best way to go but I really want a factory style fit and this is the closest I can get I think. Also I like a digital speedometer to drive by and I am intending on driving this car alot. I also decided to send the aeromotive tank back and get a cell instead as I can easily put one in the trunk without cutting up the car with the exception of a few holes. Unless I get a sump and have to slot for it. I will be posting pictures asap.

The subframe connectors will be going in soon as well as the mock up for the torque arm and then disassembled for the soda blasting. Then paint and put it together. If only it happened that easy but it shouldn't be too bad. My team and I have discussed the possiblity of mocking the entire car up before soda blasting and paint but I think most everything should be bolt on after the welding is done. I guess it is never a bad idea to be safe instead of sorry though. I have debated on putting a roll bar in this car and I am thinking I am not going to. I think I want this car to have a real useable ease to it and roll bars get in the way. I figure this way if anyone goes with me anywhere which happens once in a great while, it will be much easier this way without a roll bar in the way to crawl over. I also have been looking at what sound system pieces I am using. I havent really came up with a path yet. I know I am going for something much simpler then what I had in it before. Input is welcome. I am going with a navigational unit though I know but it ha to be a single din as I am not modifying the car for a double din unless I have to use bucket seats , then I would build a console. If I can retain the bench then just a single din.
Old 3/15/11, 05:51 PM
Bullitt Member

I held the subframe connectors up under the car this morning and I am so amazed on the quality of fitment. I have one spot I have to touch with a grinder and they will fit perfect. What gets me is how different the fuel tank was considering this is a fox body and the subframes are identical for the most part. If anyone is wondering about Maximum Motorsports, I can tell you the parts are very well made and fit. That is nice to find nowdays. I am not a dealer for them nor am I connected in anyway to them.

I sent the fuel tank back and ordered a fuel cell with braided lines and the AN ends. I also sent off the gauge cluster to Dakota Digital today and had conversation with them. I should be starting to do more hands on work now and will start taking pictures to post.

My AutoDolly rotisseree I think is suppose to be delivered the end of this week or first part of next week. So I should have some good pics soon!
Old 3/16/11, 01:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I got in the block plate from Ford. It was under 30 dollars and I know the motor mount bolt size so I will go to Fastenal and get them. I also decided to order the air conditioning. I kept fliping on on whether to do it or not and I decided the car had air originally so I might as well add it. I will be putting in the subframe connectors next week I think and then start disasembly. I am thinking i know my paint idea now but that can change.
Old 3/25/11, 10:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Just got back in from going to Ferrari of Houston. I was asked to haul 2 cars there. While there I got to see my ultimate dream car. A F 40 Ferrari and right next to it was a F 50! The coolest part of this trip was to most probably nothing but to me, I was not able to find a hotel where I could park the truck and trailer, F550 truck and a 40 ft enclosed trailer, so I slept in the truck at the Ferrari dealership. The Security Guard let me in which was cool. I actually arrived at 9:00 PM so of course the place was closed. It was a night I didnt have to dream about being surrounded by Ferraris. I just have my 308 GTB which I enjoy very much but being surrounded by all those cars was like being in Willie Wonka's Chocalate Factory over your local c-store candy row.Now only if I could have brought that F 40 home with me.

While I was away, I did get the new fuel cell and braided lines and ends I needed. The cell is going to work nice and mounting it should be easy enough. I will have to do some floor work but nothing extreme like cutting out a rust free floor. I also think I have came up with my paint scheme. I am going to get rested up a bit and then I will start snapping some pics. I know I said that before but being on the road doesn't leave me alot of time. I have no idea if or when I will be going back out. I am just asked on a need basis. It is pretty cool though hauling Ferraris around even though I really do not like being on the road.
Old 3/25/11, 11:45 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Great car, can't wait to see more.

I got my license in a '77 Zephyr 4-door with a 302, and always liked the Z7. Somehow I never did get around to buying one though.

Seeing this project has me scanning craigslist once in a while for a Zephyr.
Old 3/26/11, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jayguy
Great car, can't wait to see more.

I got my license in a '77 Zephyr 4-door with a 302, and always liked the Z7. Somehow I never did get around to buying one though.

Seeing this project has me scanning craigslist once in a while for a Zephyr.
That is cool. I like the fairmont a bit better because of the trim and tail lights but I have fairmont tail lights in this car. This car though is way better then any of the fairmonts I had, not sure why but it is. It works better and rode better. I will get back to work on the car this week, I am just going to rest a bit this weekend. I did over 2600 miles of driving in 3 days and I am beat.
Old 3/27/11, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

OK ALL I need some help here on this question.

Does anyone know if the 2011 mustang 5.0 a/c compressor is a FS-10 style? I am trying to buy an adaptor to hook up the lines. I really know nothing about a/c. Thanks for any input.
Old 3/27/11, 01:39 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure.. I might make a post about it in the 2011 section though, someone might know over there who doesn't frequent this area as much
Old 3/28/11, 05:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by future9er24
I'm not sure.. I might make a post about it in the 2011 section though, someone might know over there who doesn't frequent this area as much

Thanks for that idea. I never think about doing that. I think it might be a Desno though since it was made in Thailand and from http://www.coldhose.com it looks like it matches their gm desno. If it does, it might be really easy to adapt.

My rotisseree will be in Tuesday. I am buying a new welder this week a Miller 140 I think so I will be welding in the subframe connectors and making a false floor for the fuel cell mounting. This way I can grind out the false floor if for some reason, doubtful though, I want to change it back to original. I am gaining, Just not good about pics but I promise to post soon.
Old 3/29/11, 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

My painter was here Monday night tuesday morning---1AM to check things out. I told him I have a May 1st deadline for this car. I think progress will be happening now in leaps and bounds.

I just got an email on my gauges on shipping info so they are on their way back. I will definitley have pics coming on this. I also am in touch with coldhose.com on adaptors on the a/c. They determine what the compressor is.

I am thinking of modifying the single din radio to a double din radio. I think it will allow me more options without interfering with the shifter.

The rotisseree showed up and I put it together. It is ok quality. It is an auto dolly brand.
Old 3/30/11, 11:25 AM
Post *****

Old 4/9/11, 02:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Pictures are coming. I ordered the tires today. 255-30ZR18 fronts 25 inches tall 10 inches wide aprox and 275-40ZR18 rear 26.7 inches tall 11 inches wide aprox Hankook Ventus EVO 12. They were reasonable price and seem to have great reviews. The new gauges are here and they look sweet. The car is going in for soda blasting this week if the weather holds out. Then the underside will get painted. Then assembly and then exterior paint. I think it will go pretty fast. I will be posting alot of pictures all at once so be prepared to get bombarded. With luck this thing should be running and almost complete by May 1st.
Old 4/9/11, 07:24 PM
Post *****

awesome! can't wait man

Quick Reply: 83 Mercury Zephyr z7 project