Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

83 Mercury Zephyr z7 project

Old 2/18/11, 10:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=cinque35;6015165]I drove a '78 Zephyr w a stock 5.0 & 3 spd auto once and thought that was fast...
That motor's gonna be absolutely sick in that car

Good thing my dr. put me on BP pills, This thing is getting me reved and I can't wait till it is together.
Old 2/18/11, 02:03 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Grell
Thanks,
I tried again and got through to them and left a voice mail to have them call me back. As scarey as todays economy is today, one just never knows anymore.
Very sadly yes.
Old 2/18/11, 04:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Heard From Kook's, their headers will be available This Monday in the afternoon. HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 2/18/11, 09:53 PM
FR500 Member

From the sound of things so far, it's almost "too easy". Hope the wheels you've chosen work out.
Now someone else needs to put one of these in a Crown Vic PI.
Old 2/19/11, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
From the sound of things so far, it's almost "too easy". Hope the wheels you've chosen work out.
Now someone else needs to put one of these in a Crown Vic PI.
The easy part is getting the parts, the hard part is coming now putting the parts on and finding all the little things that make me pull what hair I have left out. I was investigating the fuel rail and I think a LS1 fuel rail fitting will work. I did look into a/c and I think it looks easy enough to do but I am not sure I am adding it, the compressor is $380 and right now If I dont have to spend that and can use it towards the rest of the car that might be better. $$$$$$$$$$$$ only goes so far. But on the other hand it would be nice just to install it and get it done and not tear it apart in the future. My long term plans are to keep this car 10 years without doing anything to it but who knows, if someone would offer me enough money it would be theirs.

Last edited by Grell; 2/19/11 at 05:17 PM.
Old 2/19/11, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I started with puting the suspension together today. I have the rear coil overs together and I am impressed on how easy they are to put together. The quality seems really well so far. I will snap pictures when there is sunlight, I dont have any lights yet in that part of the building.
Old 2/19/11, 09:04 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Grell
The easy part is getting the parts, the hard part is coming now putting the parts on and finding all the little things that make me pull what hair I have left out. I was investigating the fuel rail and I think a LS1 fuel rail fitting will work. I did look into a/c and I think it looks easy enough to do but I am not sure I am adding it, the compressor is $380 and right now If I dont have to spend that and can use it towards the rest of the car that might be better. $$$$$$$$$$$$ only goes so far. But on the other hand it would be nice just to install it and get it done and not tear it apart in the future. My long term plans are to keep this car 10 years without doing anything to it but who knows, if someone would offer me enough money it would be theirs.
It's the small stuff that will bite you squarely in the rear on a project like this.
Old 2/20/11, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

I reread the instructions on the rear coilovers again because, well, they went together too easy. Things do not usually go together that easy so i figured I screwed up. After reareading them about 5 times, I must have done them right. Usually if I am not swearing and throwing things and acting like a brat kicking things then I did it wrong lol. Ok maybe it isn't that bad but when we have put something together and forgot a seal or a washer or something then the sparks fly and words my mother would still wash my mouth out with soap if she heard me say them. Even at 45 lol.
Old 2/20/11, 02:08 PM
FR500 Member

Yeah, as long as you put the "snap ring" last on the shock body, you should be okay. Like how they provide the little card to make installation a touch easier. Did you replace the rubber bushings at the ends as well?
Old 2/20/11, 02:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, as long as you put the "snap ring" last on the shock body, you should be okay. Like how they provide the little card to make installation a touch easier. Did you replace the rubber bushings at the ends as well?

yes I replaced them with the urethane bushings. I havent greased them yet but will when I actually put them on the car. I didnt use the paper though. The circlips went on fine. I will tackle the front coilovers tomorrow I think. I think I am going to be snowed in from the sounds of things which destroys my plans of moving things around. I have a 92 mustang GT I am using for the rear end housing and a few misc parts. I have to do the work in the old shop yet since the new one isnt wired and finished but it is heated so what I can do with hand tools I have done in the new shop.
Old 2/21/11, 04:57 PM
Bullitt Member

weather isnt great so things are kind of slowing down. Lots of ice. Been working on determining what I have left to order. Also trying to find a headliner or find a person near me who does upholstery reasonably.
Old 2/22/11, 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Ordering some fuel line and regulator. Also considering tires. I know the size I want , just doing some final checking etc.
Old 2/22/11, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

5.jpg

Kooks coyote swap header info. Not yet available but I expect this week as I was told Monday which was yesterday.

Last edited by Grell; 2/22/11 at 02:04 PM.
Old 2/23/11, 11:01 AM
Bullitt Member

The bellhousing is here and it fits.
Old 2/23/11, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I was sketching ideas of a different paint scheme. The idea is using the yellow base and maybe doing some airbrush work such as skulls and flames. THat takes away from the dandy lion name but who knows. Put in ideas if you want. I am open to ideas on any of the car.
Old 2/25/11, 12:56 AM
FR500 Member

The posts about the coil over suspension got me thinking. Maybe you should look into "tender" springs (or alternately called "helper" springs) to keep the coils seated on the top portion should the suspension go into full droop or extension. Have read of a few people with coil overs experiencing the coil springs rubbing against the threaded portion/perch making a racket when they unseat/re-seat after the car is jacked up or entering driveways. The ones Hyperco (Hypercoils) manufacture extend to about 4in. and compress to about 1/4in(?) and they do not affect spring rate. Not sure if a spring divider is needed http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=1877
- some users simply place the main coil spring directly on the "helper" spring and don't report any problems.

Thought you were going for a factory look w/stripes? What with all the attention being on the 2012 Boss 302 and your car set to have the new 5.0/302, how about a Zephyr "Eliminator" paint scheme?
Old 2/25/11, 04:15 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thought you were going for a factory look w/stripes? What with all the attention being on the 2012 Boss 302 and your car set to have the new 5.0/302, how about a Zephyr "Eliminator" paint scheme?
Arin approves of this
Old 2/25/11, 05:34 PM
Bullitt Member

I thought about the boss idea for a paint scheme and that would be cool except this car has the decoration grilles in the fenders right behind the wheel openings so that trashes that idea. I thought about the factory fairmont paint scheme and really like that look on these cars. I am just throwing around ideas in case something else comes up that would be cool. ON the Eliminator idea, is that the old eliminator cougar? I havent kept up with the new cars at all which is strange for me but the last few years with the exception of the Camaro, and this new 5.0 engine I really havent kept up. I need a new pick up since mine burned up in a fire at an orchard I was working for, and have not got a settlement for yet which is going on a long time since it was 10-10-10, I don't like any of the new pick up designs. In my opinion, all 3 of the major companies must have said, "Gee how much ugly can we put in to this and still have people buying them". My father bought a new 4 door Chevy duramax with every option and even though it rides decent, it looks very ugly and ridiculous. I kept his old work truck and am driving it and it surely isnt what I want but it is paid for and is mechanically sound.

As far as the helper springs, I am going to wait and see what happens when the car is done, we can always add if we need to. I think this system will be fine though with the torque arm and etc.
Old 2/26/11, 02:04 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 2/26/11, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

That does present some interesting ideas. I have been thinking of possibly going more custom latley. I guess right now I am just throwing a few more ideas out mostly what ifs, or how about, I know I always have loved just the stock fairmont stripe as I think that design was really a nice clean look. But I als have always wanted to do something that was lots of airbrushing with a wild flair. I think if I do the airbrush thing it might take away from the car but it might also add to it. I guess that is the risk in anything.
As far as the car build goes, I am waiting for the weather to get better. I am also finishing up ordering parts and sending out parts to get cusom built. I need to figure out how the shifter indicator comes undone. It has the indicator built into the guage pod. I have not really investigated it yet fully. I also will need to decide how to filll in the place the automatic on the column hole. I havent got my spindles and ford supplied parts outside of the ford racing parts. I also am waiting the clutch and transmission and the rest of that package. I have another guy helping me on the side of his daily job, so I should see a bit more progress as to just doing this by myself until my fox body buddy and I get scheduled together to really get started.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 83 Mercury Zephyr z7 project