05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/17, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the quick response. I have the shaker 500 Head in it and purchased that Nav unit from the Freestyle. I was hoping with it being from roughly the same years (05-06) that it might not give the speed error that plagued the 07 and above head units since the wiring harnesses are closer on an 05 and 06 than the 07's. I hope this makes sense... The unit is a Ford FreeStyle 2006-2006 AM-FM-CD-Nav Sys, ID 6F9T-18K931-AD produced by pioneer in July 2005.
Old 9/1/17, 04:08 PM

I got it up and running, now I just have to figure out if it will work with my installed mobile ease Bluetooth setup from the shaker 500.

Last edited by Col.Hogan; 9/2/17 at 09:34 PM.
Old 2/28/18, 09:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I hope you all got your Raxiom NAV units while you still could!

They are now gone...gone...gone...

https://www.americanmuscle.com/raxiom-gps-nav-0509.html
Old 10/10/18, 09:10 AM

I haven't read this entire thread, can someone answer yes or no to the following..........

Is there a factory mustang navigation radio that has been successfully programed to work in a 2005gt?
Old 10/10/18, 10:32 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
there is no such thing as an OEM one for mustang. You need to get it from another Ford vehicle. I got mine from the Ford Taurus and yes it can be programmed to work with the 2005-09 Mustang.
Old 10/10/18, 01:50 PM

Ok thanks for the reply VGMStudios.

I realize that the mustang did not come with navigation in 2005.

1. Is there an alternative, that can be reprogrammed and simply plugged in with the addition of a NAV antenna? Is this all you did with the unit from the Taurus?

2. Or will there always be tinkering and debugging to make it work?

3. If the answer to #2 is yes, then will the unit always need maintenance to work?

Last edited by bobs69; 10/10/18 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10/11/18, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by bobs69

1. Is there an alternative, that can be reprogrammed and simply plugged in with the addition of a NAV antenna? Is this all you did with the unit from the Taurus?

3. If the answer to #2 is yes, then will the unit always need maintenance to work?
Ok cool, just making sure you are aware. No worries.
What I did was get it reprogrammed for it to work with my steering wheel controls.
This a great thread to read about that. We talk about the NAV unit as well for it to work in our cars:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...o-mods-528705/

After you get it programmed its good forever, no tinkering needed.
What I did for my install was: Get the Nav unit programmed for it to work with the wheel controls. Installed SYNC and the GPS antenna and I was good to go.
Akdoggie, data, jim and myself did a lot of testing to get this to work.
Old 10/11/18, 09:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, factory navigation was offered as an option in 2007 - 2009. The picture of the nav below is the Pioneer unit that was used in the 07-09 cars. If you get a unit like the one pictured below from another Ford, it will still be plug and play.

But yes, you can do it. I put a Nav unit from a Ford Escape into my 2005 GT. And it was plug and play.

No programming was needed and only a speed code error was present, which meant when the GPS lost signal, like when underground or a tunnel, it couldn't use velocity of the car to maintain tracking. It was not an issue, though. Everything worked as it should except for that. There are even adapters to use Ipods with the unit, which I have. Units that have teh Mercury symbol on start up will need to be programmed to get the Ford symbol instead, if that is a bother to you. United Radio in New Jersey can do that.

Last edited by jim010; 10/11/18 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10/11/18, 10:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Old 10/11/18, 12:28 PM

yes mine was a plug and play but wasnt working properly hence the need to get it programmed for the Mustang specifically.
So when you get your unit, plug it in first to see what you have. If it works, great, no need to reprogram it.

Last edited by VGMStudios; 10/11/18 at 12:30 PM.
Old 4/3/19, 08:06 AM

I KNEW this was possible. I remember someone telling me it wasn't.
This is what I wanted to do in the first place instead of the one I currently have.
The Nav unit is from a 2011 Ford car... this pic is not mine. Its in a 2005 Mustang!!!

I'm going to do some research to upgrade mine.
Old 4/3/19, 08:34 AM

VGM STUDIOS this is awesome. This is what I want as well!
Old 4/3/19, 01:24 PM

VGM STUDIOS this is awesome. This is what I want as well!
It really is awesome! BTW did you ever put in a NAV unit in your car?

If you want to help do research I would appreciate it and we can get this done together.
Old 4/4/19, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by VGMStudios
It really is awesome! BTW did you ever put in a NAV unit in your car?

If you want to help do research I would appreciate it and we can get this done together.
The best solution I found so far was to buy a refurbished and reprogramed unit from infotainment I found on Ebay. They take a ford radio and your VIN, then program it to your car.

Only thing is, it's not compatible with a back-up camera.
It does not have Bluetooth for the phone, that is an additional expense.
Old 4/4/19, 10:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Yes, this has been done. I tried it a number of years ago, but I sold my unit. Everything plugged in. You need an external amp for this. Brian at 4dTech used to sell kits to make this work in our cars. There are some units that have green glow buttons vs ice blue I think, but not 100% sure.
Old 4/4/19, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by jim010
Yes, this has been done. I tried it a number of years ago, but I sold my unit. Everything plugged in. You need an external amp for this. Brian at 4dTech used to sell kits to make this work in our cars. There are some units that have green glow buttons vs ice blue I think, but not 100% sure.
What do you mean by external amp?

How do I reach Brian and what is 4dTech? Is that another website?
Old 4/4/19, 01:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

An extrnal amp is a unit that amplifies the sound. Without it, you will not have sound. The other units have an amp built into them, so they don't need an external amp,

4dTech is another website. But I think he stopped selling kits for this awhile ago. Still, you can check with him. There should be a thread on here of another member doing this, if you do a search. There was programming involved.
Old 4/4/19, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by jim010
An extrnal amp is a unit that amplifies the sound. Without it, you will not have sound. The other units have an amp built into them, so they don't need an external amp,

4dTech is another website. But I think he stopped selling kits for this awhile ago. Still, you can check with him. There should be a thread on here of another member doing this, if you do a search. There was programming involved.
I checked out the website. It shows to 2015. Or something like that.

I emailed them just in case I missed something.

I believe I seen that thread. I'll look again. From what I remember it was a pita and I considered the infotainment for the best option.

Last edited by bobs69; 4/4/19 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 4/4/19, 08:43 PM

Jim do you remember exactly what is needed? I have been talking to the guy on FB from where that photo is from. He mentioned that the unit requires an amplifier, which powers up the HU & without it it won't even turn on.
He also mentioned that a Sat antenna off a newer model F150 is needed as it is a dual band Sat antenna Sirius radio and Nav data. A Sync unit is needed as well as well as a special wire harness for the radio, Amp, Sync, and USB port.
A steering wheel off the newer Stang that have sync controls will need some rewiring to get everything to work, wiper delay, turn signals and sync controls.

Now my question is since I already have things like Sync, a newer steering wheel (plus proper buttons), microphone and whatnot for the one I currently have, couldn't I just reuse everything for the newer one?

Oh before I forget, he also mentioned that his Nav unit did not require reprogramming of the radio.

Btw why did you sell it? Was it not worth it or it didnt work out for you?

Bob I look forward to what 4dTech says.

Last edited by VGMStudios; 4/4/19 at 08:49 PM.
Old 4/5/19, 09:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Jim do you remember exactly what is needed? I have been talking to the guy on FB from where that photo is from. He mentioned that the unit requires an amplifier, which powers up the HU & without it it won't even turn on.

Well, mine did power up and functioned, just the sound was completely muted without an amplifier.

He also mentioned that a Sat antenna off a newer model F150 is needed as it is a dual band Sat antenna Sirius radio and Nav data. A Sync unit is needed as well as well as a special wire harness for the radio, Amp, Sync, and USB port.
A steering wheel off the newer Stang that have sync controls will need some rewiring to get everything to work, wiper delay, turn signals and sync controls.

Never got that far, but a Sync module shouldn't be an issue to hook up. I have an extra from a 2010 Mustang.

Now my question is since I already have things like Sync, a newer steering wheel (plus proper buttons), microphone and whatnot for the one I currently have, couldn't I just reuse everything for the newer one?

As long as the sync is of the same vintage, I don't see why not.

Oh before I forget, he also mentioned that his Nav unit did not require reprogramming of the radio.

Btw why did you sell it? Was it not worth it or it didnt work out for you?

When I discovered I needed an amp, I just shelved it, and then I sold teh car to my brother. He never had any interest in upgrading, so I sold the unit. I went on to do similar types of mods to my newer Mustang.

Bob I look forward to what 4dTech says.

I do remember that they said they no longer supprt the S197, but let's see.
The following users liked this post:
VGMStudios (4/9/19)

Quick Reply: Installing a Factory NAV on a 2005 'Stang