05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Center fog lights...

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/06, 07:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Exactly my thought and my plan...

Thanks to the guys that have offered up pictures on here.. I'm still pretty excited about the product. Yes it may take a little massaging but I think I'm up for it.

I am curious if the lights are aimed properly once the grill is installed..
I was thinking about this idea - what about using vice-grips like this:

and clamp it to a piece of sturdy metal after warming with a heat gun, and let it cool.
Old 5/10/06, 07:14 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
I drove my car home from the dealership last evening, and the lights looked good. Suprisingly, I didn't have 1 oncoming driver flash their lights at me (them thinking I have my hi-beams on). To me this is a good thing, as it doesn't seem to bother on coming cars. Now, the ultimate test is to pass a PA cop or state trooper at night, and see if he does a 180 and stops me. Only time will tell.
The main reason people flash is because with the fogs turned on they look like the old 80's style headlights that used a seperate lamp for the high beam. Our lights aren't any brighter than any of the other newer headlights out there. (which in my opinion are all too bright... couldn't live without my window tint)
Old 5/10/06, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm really getting worried about this warpage. The pics don't look too promising... Can we return it if it's bad?

Has anyone on here got one that hasn't been warped? Right now it sounds like 3 out of 3 are warped.
Old 5/10/06, 09:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2006GT
I'm really getting worried about this warpage. The pics don't look too promising... Can we return it if it's bad?

Has anyone on here got one that hasn't been warped? Right now it sounds like 3 out of 3 are warped.

The warping isnt really that bad. IMO I dont think that hot water or heat gun will get rid of it. Its actually the mold. If you are building a custom show car with lots of mods than this wouldnt be the grill to get. But what else can you expect. The grill looks great, is very good quality and is actually very inexpensive. If you want the show car look, expect to spend a whole lot more money for the grill. In all honesty, for a daily driver car want to look a little different from everyone else this is the grill to get. Repeat, IT DOES LOOK GREAT. I think evryone here might be just a little bit picky for the cost. The average joe wont notice the warping at all. I just wish UPS had treated the box better and I wouldnt have had adamaged one show up.
Old 5/10/06, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have a hard time thinking its the mold....you really think they would do that even tho its from "out of town"?

I would bet once you get it there is no return...at leat the ebay one but thats just a guess.

I think yall shouldnt stress about the warpage untill you get your grill and look in person. I am hoping its not to bad and that I can fix it....im not looking for a show car but I would like that part flat or close to flat.
Old 5/10/06, 10:09 AM

Mine really isn't a daily driver and it doesn't see rain, etc. And yes, I might picky (read ****) but I also expect a part to be defect free no matter what the price or who makes it. If the description would have said "Due to the price, expect the piece to be warpped", well then I obviously would not have bought it. Aftermarket pieces tend to fit a little off, and I'll deal with that. But I do expect a part to be straight.

I'm not going to stress about it until I get it. Hopefully it will be straight or fixable (which I doubt). If not, lesson learned.
Old 5/10/06, 10:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

I still think a heat gun can fix it...its plastic...and looking at the stocker it flex easy alreay...with a little heat I would bet you can make it better. Darn I want to see this thing in person lol....tomorrow is going to take forever to get here lol
Old 5/10/06, 10:21 AM

Ahhh... I get mine tomorrow too. I reserve judgement until then.

The only thing I can think of right off hand as to why a heat gun would not work, is that the bottom piece of the frame is connected to all the mesh. NOW, if it's just the lip that is warped, then a heat gun might be able to straighten it out.
Old 5/10/06, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thats my thinking...the mesh is way in the back of the lip and it looks like that is flat. I bet its just the outer edge of that bottom lip that has warped. Seems correct in my head and in looking at the pics.
Old 5/10/06, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MTAS
I was thinking about this idea - what about using vice-grips like this:
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

and clamp it to a piece of sturdy metal after warming with a heat gun, and let it cool.
Yup - that's a Duck-Bill Vice-Grip (at least that's what I call it)...

I'll take a look and see when it comes.

I was planning on clamping the plastic between a piece of oak (on the top) cut to fit and a piece of steel angle iron on the bottom.

Apply the heat to the angle iron and pull it into shape.

Chill by misting it with water in a spray bottle..

I do a fair amount of fabrication and this is the way I've handled other warpage. Judging from what I've seen so far, this isn't a show-stopper..
Old 5/10/06, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

My box had no damage to show any sort of impproper handling. It is not a binding issue with the fitment either. Must be due to the actual mold as stated above.
Old 5/10/06, 10:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

nbk13nw can you look at your grill and see if the warp is all the way and including the mesh or is it just the outer edge.
Old 5/10/06, 11:31 AM

What NOLAG said!
Old 5/10/06, 12:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2006GT
Mine really isn't a daily driver and it doesn't see rain, etc. And yes, I might picky (read ****) but I also expect a part to be defect free no matter what the price or who makes it. If the description would have said "Due to the price, expect the piece to be warpped", well then I obviously would not have bought it. Aftermarket pieces tend to fit a little off, and I'll deal with that. But I do expect a part to be straight.

I'm not going to stress about it until I get it. Hopefully it will be straight or fixable (which I doubt). If not, lesson learned.
About the warped parts, personally, as I posted the 1st pics, I don't really have a problem with it. Remember, this product was rushed to market really quickly, and it was made overseas. If it were made in its regular time frame, no one would have had one for several more months. Plus as Butch told me, had this grill been made here, the quality would have been better, & the price would have been alot more. I really like my car now that I have this on, and I am not taking it off, unless there is a better version, and I mean better. For $130, I can't complain at all. The car looks super with it now.
Old 5/10/06, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree...I cant wait to get it on my car.

At this point im not stressin about this part being warped and who made it and the price. I am at the point where I know there might be an issue with it and I want to fix mine when it comes in and help yall fix your own if it you fell like it. Almost nothing is ever perfect...I have run into that many many times in my life...so I dont stress...I fix.

**** is it thursday yet lol
Old 5/10/06, 12:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

I keep looking at the pics (post#290) and it looks to me like its an easy fix...maybe im missing something but it looks like just that outer edge was pushed up while it was still warm.

Was it warped like this before the install....are the bottom clips snaped in all the way?? Is it possible the clips on the bottom are not in all the way (or dont snap down all the way) and its pusing the bottom part up? Keep in mind I have not taken off my grill before so I dont know the location of the clips.
Old 5/10/06, 12:21 PM

For those of you that have installed or close to installing the grill, how have you handled the short length wiring issue ?
Old 5/10/06, 12:22 PM
Bullitt Member

From the pictures I saw it looked like the bottom corners are being pushed toward the center. This would cause the grill to not sit flat as the center fog light area should be stiff and would counter the corners pushing the grill inward. If it's a true warp then thats pretty sad and has me worried. I'm sure I can figure something out. I expect mine this week and I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks Mike
Old 5/10/06, 12:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

I dont think its being pushed in on the corners and thats making it warp....all that mesh in the background would make the grill pretty stiff left to right.

These grills came across in a ship more than likely in container....might have gotten hot in there and due to the way the grills were stacked maybe they warped like that. If that is the case it should work in reverce as well.
Old 5/10/06, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by NOLAGT
I dont think its being pushed in on the corners and thats making it warp....all that mesh in the background would make the grill pretty stiff left to right.

These grills came across in a ship more than likely in container....might have gotten hot in there and due to the way the grills were stacked maybe they warped like that. If that is the case it should work in reverce as well.
I had that same thought... the container heat. An item will tend to break, bend or in this case warp in the same place. In this case, the lower lip is probably the weakest/thinest area in the design.