05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Center fog lights...

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/06, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks fryguy! But uggg I can see the gaps from the warps on yours too. Guess I wont be too surprised tomorrow lol. So spill it fryguy how did you do the wires?
Old 5/10/06, 08:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that we posted at the same time. My previous post has the way that I did it.
Old 5/11/06, 12:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

i cancelled mine before i got the call! im tired of being the guinea pig with stuff for the 197s. i had enough probs with the LFP throttle body! im starting to think the stock grill would look better on my car anyways, cuz i am going after the 69 mach 1 look.
Old 5/11/06, 05:20 AM

Thanks for the pics Fryguy. The "Look" looks awesome, but it still has the the hairlip. We'll find out today if the heat gun will work. I'll post pics of the process.
Old 5/11/06, 05:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am thinking that this grill is fine for now, and then when a "better quality" one comes out I will snag that one. For the money, this grill is worth the unique look that we have right now.

And hey, it does look good at 50' and 50 MPH!
Old 5/11/06, 07:06 AM

Damaged Grilles

Anyone that get shipping damaged grilles from me. Please if its ups call ups and refuse the shipment and have it returned to sender.
& email me to let me know whats going on.

If its the 2 that went US Postal Service Call me or email asap.

"warpage" is not damage, addressing that with the MFG.

Also if you got a grille and its ok let me know.

EMAIL ME

Butch
Energizer Racing & Parts
energizer@netcarrier.com
Old 5/11/06, 07:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Fryguy
I am thinking that this grill is fine for now, and then when a "better quality" one comes out I will snag that one. For the money, this grill is worth the unique look that we have right now.

And hey, it does look good at 50' and 50 MPH!
Yeah hopfuly people are seeing your rear more....if not you need to spend that money on some more go fast mods

I should get mine today too...so im looking forward to some heat gun updates. I will be working on mine this afternoon.
Old 5/11/06, 07:26 AM

I won't get to mine until later this evening. Full day.
Old 5/11/06, 07:32 AM

got mine last night. after heating with a propane torch and cooling with ice water i was able to get it to fit pretty good.I have about 4 hours into it though. Right now I am just hopeing it does not warp back in the heat of the sun.Going to bring the stocker with to the world ford show just incase! will try to post picts tonight.
Old 5/11/06, 07:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

I had mine sent to work....and im not working a full day today woohoo.

Good to hear botlefed....we would love to see some pics! I dont think it will re warp...if it heats up it should lay flatter....I hope lol.
Old 5/11/06, 08:01 AM
V6 Member

Got mine yesterday with no damage to the box. Very well packed with extra reinforcing on the corners.

It has the warp issue as expected and I will rely on this forum for a DIY solution until the manufacturer decides to recall (we can dream).

I'm no expert but it sure looks like heat and some pressure will straighten that bottom flange. I have a black Mustang so it won't be as evident in any case.

Good luck out there.
Old 5/11/06, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by NOLAGT
I had mine sent to work....and im not working a full day today woohoo.

Good to hear botlefed....we would love to see some pics! I dont think it will re warp...if it heats up it should lay flatter....I hope lol.
Honestly after A LOT of heating and bending and cooling it fit better than the stocker. The key seems to be heating the area just below the mesh.(heat by the back of the lower lip) don't do the front edge. It will tend to curl up by doing that. I think what happend is as the grills cooled the mesh area shrunk up and pulled the bottom of the grill up.I bent up a flat pice of bar stock to fit the grill opening on the bumper and then clamped the grill shell to the bar stock. Heated the back area of the lip and cooled with ice water and compressed air.
Old 5/11/06, 08:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BOTLEFEDPONY
grills cooled the mesh area shrunk up and pulled the bottom of the grill up
That seems possible too...I really didnt think its the mold.
Old 5/11/06, 08:23 AM
V6 Member

[quote=BOTLEFEDPONY]after heating with a propane torch and cooling with ice water i was able to get it to fit pretty good.

Did you hit the grille with the flame of the torch? Or did you hold it away some? Did you let your clamp do all the work or did you get your hands on it to move that flange some?
I will attemp the same thing tonight if you can describe how you brace it up again. I don't get the picture with your first description.
Old 5/11/06, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

I was wondering about the flame as well....I am going to use my heat gun...I thought my torch would be to hot and melt it.
Old 5/11/06, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by NOLAGT
I was wondering about the flame as well....I am going to use my heat gun...I thought my torch would be to hot and melt it.
Ditto. I plan on using my heat gun AFTER I sandwich it between the braces.

Kinda scared of what the torch would do ....
Old 5/11/06, 08:45 AM

I took a flat bar stock and bent it to fit the entire lower opening of the grill. I bent it to sit flat on the bumper just like the stock grill.If you were to take the grill and cut out all the mesh in the center you would be left with just the outer shell. I made something like that out of flat stock. Then i clamped the new grill to this metal shell so to speak. I help the torch a few inches from the grill shell. remember to heat the area near the back.just under the mesh part. It WILL melt the grill if you get too close! You will see the plastic start to get shiney. Back off when this happens........its about to melt at this point. We use this in our body shops to "flame treat" raw plastic bumpers prior to paint. the shiney areas is the mold release agents comming to the top of the plastics.
Old 5/11/06, 08:59 AM
V6 Member

Excellent walkthrough. Though the flat stock template you made is beyond my home garage capabilities, I can probably use something else in it's place.
Any way that's very helpful and I'll try it myself. I have a propane torch on hand but no heat gun any way.
Old 5/11/06, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by AL1356
Excellent walkthrough. Though the flat stock template you made is beyond my home garage capabilities, I can probably use something else in it's place.
Any way that's very helpful and I'll try it myself. I have a propane torch on hand but no heat gun any way.

You could use anything that is flat. The best thing would be something metal.It will act as a heat sinc and pull some heat from the grill.It will also help to spread the heat around a larger area.Just remember to keep the torch away from the grill and heat up slow. You will see it starting to get glossy back off. And remember to heat the area right under the honeycomb area..........not just the outer lip.
Old 5/11/06, 09:46 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by BOTLEFEDPONY
You could use anything that is flat. The best thing would be something metal.It will act as a heat sinc and pull some heat from the grill.It will also help to spread the heat around a larger area.Just remember to keep the torch away from the grill and heat up slow. You will see it starting to get glossy back off. And remember to heat the area right under the honeycomb area..........not just the outer lip.
Okay, I'll be sure to back off when grille starts getting shiney.
Will the lip just relax from the heat and go flat against the metal template or did you need to help it along with pressure?
Is it essential to cool quickly with ice water or can it air cool?