05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Center fog lights...

Search this Thread

Old 5/10/06, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 grilles going out today

1 johns & 1 neils

I packed the heck out of them. these are the first i've shipped UPS (others were drop shipped). If they destroy these I quit and will go to pick ups only.

John and Neil let me know how these go.

Butch
Old 5/10/06, 01:45 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll keep you posted Butch. Thanks
Old 5/10/06, 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Exclamation

I just got off the phone with 5.0retso and they are not sending any grills out (got them today ,200 or so) !!! The manufacture called them and let them know that all the grills are warped and that they had the bad batch Looks like it is a true problem. He currently did not have a answer on shipping time of the correct part.

The positive, they caught the problem and are trying to get new grills to fix it !!

The negative, more waiting

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Thanks Mike
Old 5/10/06, 02:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by NOLAGT
I keep looking at the pics (post#290) and it looks to me like its an easy fix...maybe im missing something but it looks like just that outer edge was pushed up while it was still warm.

Was it warped like this before the install....are the bottom clips snaped in all the way?? Is it possible the clips on the bottom are not in all the way (or dont snap down all the way) and its pusing the bottom part up? Keep in mind I have not taken off my grill before so I dont know the location of the clips.
Four connectors on the bottom edge and two on each side. No stress from the install. Probably a manufacturing thing. But stragely enough... it seems to look better today. Hmmm...
Old 5/10/06, 02:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Has anyone figured out a way to get the factory wires to reach? Like I mentioned, my coworker rigged something that involved alot of tape, but I wanted to figure out a way to just get the wires to reach, and I can plug them in. Has anyone taken the wires out of the casing that holds it to the body of the car? If you could let me know, I would appreciate it.
Old 5/10/06, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by JST4FN
I just got off the phone with 5.0retso and they are not sending any grills out (got them today ,200 or so) !!! The manufacture called them and let them know that all the grills are warped and that they had the bad batch Looks like it is a true problem. He currently did not have a answer on shipping time of the correct part.

The positive, they caught the problem and are trying to get new grills to fix it !!

The negative, more waiting

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Thanks Mike
I got that exact call too...he laughed when I he found out I already knew about the warpage. Anyway nice guy and tho it does mean more waiting the new shipment might be better. At anyrate I told him I still definetly wanted the grill so keep me on the list in case the ebay one I get tomorrow doesnt work out for me I will have an updated one. I am still thinking I can fix it....but I have not got my hands on it just yet.

Thanks for looking nbk!
Old 5/10/06, 02:54 PM

somebody just doesn't want us to have this grill....
Old 5/10/06, 03:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah no kidding. I will still probably be he only one around me with a center fog grill of anykind

Old 5/10/06, 03:15 PM
FR500 Member

Well, I'm looking at it different. These were cheap enough, so I'm not going to sweat it much. I'll put this one on and see how it looks. If it looks too wonky, I'll wait for the new Street Scene one that I know isn't manufactured elsewhere and see how that one stacks up to the one I'm getting now.
Old 5/10/06, 03:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SixtySix
Well, I'm looking at it different. These were cheap enough, so I'm not going to sweat it much. I'll put this one on and see how it looks. If it looks too wonky, I'll wait for the new Street Scene one that I know isn't manufactured elsewhere and see how that one stacks up to the one I'm getting now.
I dont think it is as much a warpage issue as it is an angle issue. The rake on the gille seems to be at a higher angle than needed. I am going to pull it off and set it back in with the bottom level to the bumper and see how far off that angle is.
Old 5/10/06, 03:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Couldnt that angle be because it got bent back...well up when its installed?
Old 5/10/06, 04:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by NOLAGT
Couldnt that angle be because it got bent back...well up when its installed?
Not really... or in my case anyway. No pressure from any source other thant the retention clips. Hmmm... Maybe I will go out and remove the clips and then see what happens. If that is the case then a simple matter of drilling new holes to line up with the existing. Great idea!
Old 5/10/06, 05:07 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Ya, I got the same call from 50resto. Kinda had a feeling that would happen. Oh well, I have a grille on the way and it should be here tomorrow. Hopefully I can figure out a way to get rid of some of the warp. If not, back to the drawing board...or should I say...stock grille
Old 5/10/06, 05:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

I got a call from 50 resto also today...no rush for it...I'd rather have it done right the first time then get a shotty POS grill.
Old 5/10/06, 05:36 PM
FR500 Member

My grill looks to be pretty good quality with a slight warpage at the bottom, even though the box and UPS appear to have done significant battle. I am also going to try to bring it back into shape with a heat gun (or steam) and some oak blocks with bull nose edging first thing in the morning. I think some soft wood wedges can be inserted between the lower lip and the light sockets, which should help straighten out that part of the lip. I have a very well equipped shop, so I'll post how things went, for anyone who might want to wait and see before trying it.
Old 5/10/06, 07:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pics, did someone want pics?

Here ya go...
Attached Thumbnails Center fog lights...-before.jpg   Center fog lights...-comparison.jpg   Center fog lights...-night-shot.jpg  
Old 5/10/06, 07:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Here are some more...
Attached Thumbnails Center fog lights...-hids-fogs.jpg   Center fog lights...-just-fogs-2.jpg   Center fog lights...-just-fogs.jpg  
Old 5/10/06, 07:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

And two more.... with these you can see some of the "warpage"
Attached Thumbnails Center fog lights...-no-ligts-2.jpg   Center fog lights...-no-ligts.jpg  
Old 5/10/06, 08:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Please someone address the wiring issue. Is the wire long enough or not? If not then how did you get it to reach? Inquiring minds would like to know!
Old 5/10/06, 08:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I spliced some new wiring into mine to make them work and look better. Used some Solder to connect the wires, then took shrink-tubing over the soldered joint to "weather-proof" it - then added electrical tape wrap to boot. Once that was done, I put the wiring in similar protective sleeves to what was on there originally. Kinda looks OEM, but not.

HTH.