V6 Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang V6 Performance and Technical Information

Shelby V6?

Search this Thread

Old 11/4/05, 04:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 1trickpony@November 4, 2005, 2:50 AM
I just thought of some good news for V6 owners. According to the links, Ford will still honor the warranty on a CS6 with a blower. That's telling me Ford is comfortable with the powertrain taking 350 HP. I don't think this kit swaps for a 8.8, so the 7.5 should be ok with a blower and 4.10 gears.

Well if you look at the prices tag, I'm think part of it is actually paying for warranty... think of it as pre-paid maintenance... LOL
Old 11/4/05, 07:31 AM
GT Member

I got the "Easy Care" Ford extended warranty when I picked up my little stang and found out something just the other day.... I actually read the fine print and this is what I found out -

You can take your care to ANY licensed repair shop to have ANY warranty work performed. The shop does however - have to call in an administrator prior to performing work to validate repairs , but it is NOT necessary to bring my car into the Dealership for ANY warranty work if I decide not to

This may actually work out to ones advantage - granted you are friendly with the repair shop and they don't "look" too much into some of those mod's etc... I guess....

Old 11/4/05, 07:44 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MSP@November 3, 2005, 7:10 PM
One more thing though 06GT!!

The only problem I see for a future CS8 is this...

The GT500= $40,000

The CS6= $35,000

The CS8= $45,000

So people who would buy a 500HP CS8 for $45K, accept the fact that they give up a 5.4L Supercharged GT500 which is being choked to only 450HP.. So it is a very complex situation.. Not sure what you would do, but I would still opt for a GT500 over the CS6 and CS8.. To me, the GT500 is still the car to get..

This is of course if we can find GT500's at $40K like promised from Ford.. I doubt it, which will most likley catapult the CS8 to people who desired GT500's, but dont want to pay $55K for them.. $15,000 over MSRP..
Not to say something bad about my dealer, but I asked my salesman about the Cobra's they are getting. He told me the owner is buying both of them and taking them to auction for a starting bid of 55k. Kind of sucks :notnice:
Old 11/4/05, 09:26 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by vistablue mustang@November 4, 2005, 6:47 AM
Not to say something bad about my dealer, but I asked my salesman about the Cobra's they are getting. He told me the owner is buying both of them and taking them to auction for a starting bid of 55k. Kind of sucks :notnice:
For this very reason, I think the CS8 will be a way for most guys to get S197 Shelby's.. $45K isnt bad for a 500HP car.. The GT500 has already been setup to be taken advantge of by dealerships greed.. With the CS8 Kit, the dealer still makes his money from the sale price of the GT... More than likely, its going to be easier to get your hands on a CS8 with a set price.. As opposed to the GT500 which will be sold anywhere from $55K to $100K..
Old 11/4/05, 09:27 AM
Cobra R Member

As a GT owner, I will not ever mind losing to a Mustang V-6 or not. Just like in drag racing....keep it fair.
Naturally asperated together
NOS the same
S/C the same.

I am proud to own a GT....Shelby might call the new V-6 a GT 350? I personally thought he would dip down to the 4.6 but I and others could be wrong.

Lets celebrate that the mustang survived all these years and is still around.
Old 11/4/05, 10:08 AM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by traffic142@November 4, 2005, 8:30 AM
As a GT owner, I will not ever mind losing to a Mustang V-6 or not. Just like in drag racing....keep it fair.
Naturally asperated together
NOS the same
S/C the same.

I am proud to own a GT....Shelby might call the new V-6 a GT 350? I personally thought he would dip down to the 4.6 but I and others could be wrong.

Lets celebrate that the mustang survived all these years and is still around.
The New Shelby V6 is called a Shelby CS6.. So the GT350 will most likley be either a S/C 4.6 or a N/A 5.4..

Since the CS8 is the S/C 4.6, most likley the GT350 will most likley be a N/A 5.4. I'm almost willing to bet this will be the case.. This should put the GT350 to about 375 HP.

Also, in drag racing you race based upon ET's.. If a S/C V6 can race a GT with various mods to a N/A engine, then they will both be close to the same ET.. We all know that placing a S/C V6 against a S/C GT is a no brainer.. The GT can get close to 487RWHP.. The V6 300RWHP.. LOL!! Com'on man.. You want fair, then race based on ET's, and not what mod one engine has over another..

I understand the problem, to you its not fair if a V6 has a S/C, and is compared to a GT.. If thats your logic, then its not fair because a GT has 2 extra cylinders.. LOL! See how ridiculous it sounds.. At some point, your confidence in you car must be shown.. The 4.6 is a darn good motor, atleast GT owners can add S/C's and get to 500HP.. Let us S/C V6 guys pick on N/A 4.6's who have close to the same RWHP..
Old 11/4/05, 10:24 AM
MSP
Banned

One more thing.. I can promise you, that a GT500 against a Shelby CS6 is a drivers race at Laguna Seca.. This is what makes the CS6 so exciting for most..

Sure the GT500 will do good on the straights, but he will have to brake alot earlier than the CS6.. I would love to see this race.. I sure hope at some point a magazine does a comparison on the 2 cars..

I can see it now, GT500 struggles to keep up with a CS6 @ Laguna Seca! lol!
Old 11/4/05, 10:28 AM
Big Falken Tires

Man so far, that car is my fav Mustang at SEMA.....

Old 11/4/05, 12:16 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by Burke0011@November 4, 2005, 9:31 AM
Man so far, that car is my fav Mustang at SEMA.....

Thanks for the support Burke0011!! Make sure you check out this car as well.. The MRT car is really making a powerful statement for the 4.0 motor. We need to know whether or not its using factory internals.. If you get a chance see what you can find out.. Pistons, Rods, Crankshaft, and heads..

The Factory rods are Forged.. But not the flat-top pistons.. We need to know if they used forged dished pistons, or still the factory flat-tops.. Thanks..

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=38246
Old 11/4/05, 12:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by MSP@November 4, 2005, 2:19 PM
Thanks for the support Burke0011!! Make sure you check out this car as well.. The MRT car is really making a powerful statement for the 4.0 motor. We need to know whether or not its using factory internals.. If you get a chance see what you can find out.. Pistons, Rods, Crankshaft, and heads..

The Factory rods are Forged.. But not the flat-top pistons.. We need to know if they used forged dished pistons, or still the factory flat-tops.. Thanks..

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=38246
It says "Stock 4.0L"..... so like Mke says "stock is stock"... LOL! I've got to talk to Scott next week... I'll double check... but in the mean time:

http://www.mrt-direct.com/Articles/MRT_6T6a.PDF
Old 11/4/05, 12:46 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by scrming@November 4, 2005, 11:35 AM
It says "Stock 4.0L"..... so like Mke says "stock is stock"... LOL! I've got to talk to Scott next week... I'll double check... but in the mean time:

http://www.mrt-direct.com/Articles/MRT_6T6a.PDF
Looks like stock the car is 300RWHP.. Still good in my book.. My guess is the water passages will keep us from making 600RWHP.. Even if we were to go with all forged internals, I dont think the block could do more than about 450RWHP safley, before problems arise.. So again this classify's us as a very good road racing car, but for all out drag strip performance we must accept the engine block as it sits did not have 600RWHP in mind.. Which is an effective 706HP @ the crank! Thats an awfull lot even for a 4.6..
Old 11/4/05, 01:07 PM
Cam Tease

Okay, I just read the MSP v. Shifty "debate" 4 pages back, and it made my day. Having considered their arguments from the objective viewpoint of one who owns neither the V6 nor the GT, allow me to offer unbiased insight otherwise unattainable. Until discovering many opinions in concurrence with MSP's (mostly from other V6 owners), I would have assumed any sentient being capable of cognition would realize Shifty is correct in every statement he makes. I am not one to intiate or conflagrate any sort of confrontation, but this must be said.

MSP, from reading your "im a jackal" post I know this will come as a surprise, but you are actually an idiot! My intentions in saying this are pure, and I sincerely hope this does not offend you, but you are truly idiotic. I would try "ripping you up" by offering a point-by-point analysis of the myriad flaws in your countless posts, but it would doubtless be time wasted, as you somehow think you "won" your debate with Shifty.

Please moderators, I know this doesn't contribute to the thread--and informing an individual of mental deficiency is likely frowned upon--, but please, do not edit this post. MSP needs to know this; I am concerned that if he truly sees himself as intelligent, that something terrible will happen to him.

I am sorry MSP, I know this may come as a shock to you, but my conscience dictates my actions. I would rather you suffer an ego bruise than wind up physically injured or dead.

Edit:

That said, the CS6 is a cool looking concept (minus the tacky stickers) and the 4.0 motor is great for a V6 Mustang, but saying "look out GTs"?? Unless all of that was a joke, you are truly delusional. Why risk losing the warranty and throwing away reliability so you can match GT performance and GT price? (and still be two cylinders short of a muscle car)
Old 11/4/05, 01:37 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by AnotherMustangMan@November 4, 2005, 12:10 PM
Okay, I just read the MSP v. Shifty "debate" 4 pages back, and it made my day. Having considered their arguments from the objective viewpoint of one who owns neither the V6 nor the GT, allow me to offer unbiased insight otherwise unattainable. Until discovering many opinions in concurrence with MSP's (mostly from other V6 owners), I would have assumed any sentient being capable of cognition would realize Shifty is correct in every statement he makes. I am not one to intiate or conflagrate any sort of confrontation, but this must be said.

MSP, from reading your "im a jackal" post I know this will come as a surprise, but you are actually an idiot! My intentions in saying this are pure, and I sincerely hope this does not offend you, but you are truly idiotic. I would try "ripping you up" by offering a point-by-point analysis of the myriad flaws in your countless posts, but it would doubtless be time wasted, as you somehow think you "won" your debate with Shifty.

Please moderators, I know this doesn't contribute to the thread--and informing an individual of mental deficiency is likely frowned upon--, but please, do not edit this post. MSP needs to know this; I am concerned that if he truly sees himself as intelligent, that something terrible will happen to him.

I am sorry MSP, I know this may come as a shock to you, but my conscience dictates my actions. I would rather you suffer an ego bruise than wind up physically injured or dead.
Edit:

That said, the CS6 is a cool looking concept (minus the tacky stickers) and the 4.0 motor is great for a V6 Mustang, but saying "look out GTs"?? Unless all of that was a joke, you are truly delusional. Why risk losing the warranty and throwing away reliability so you can match GT performance and GT price? (and still be two cylinders short of a muscle car)

Thanks for your kind words! I dont know you so will refrain from anything negetive towards you.. With that said lets look at alittle context..

The debate between Shifty and I is a portrait.. A picture of what the average V6 owner encounters on a dailey basis.. It does not matter which website you visit, its all the same.. A few select GT owners take it upon themselves to justify their purchase.. Most GT owners at all websites do not take personal a well performing V6.. Most GT owners from all websites understand that a V6 with a supercharger or NOS, or some other type of power-adder will swing the power balance to the side of the V6.. Most GT owners from this website and others, know and understand that adding a SC to a GT creates one heck of a car to be envied and praised.. These GT owners never engage in a breast for tat with V6 owners.. You yourself are a biased V8 Mustang owner.. This is ok.. You choose not to take risk in regards to overall engine power.. You feel more confident, if you can somehow boast that 487RWHP is what is promised to you.. Thats fine..

But there is nothing wrong with V6 owners being proud that adding Nitrous, Supercharger or Turbo is enough to take down a Stock GT.. There is nothing wrong with V6 owners showing that the power to weight ratio of a Shelby V6, is enough to be very competitive with a stock GT.. If you truely understand the arguement Sir, you understand that the threat is not real.. Its all made up by those who choose to classify the V6 as something that actually insults the Mustang herritage.. Something that should not have the right to ever compete one on one with a GT.. When in fact they are all Mustangs, and should be able to be judged on their merrits as such..

So while I do read and accept your classification of me, as your opinion, I find you to be alot like a handfull of GT owners, who do not actually respect a Mustang for what it is.. But rather a childish way of saying one car is better than another for reasons as small as engine size.. This does not make you wise, but makes you foolish.. I am quite sure most will read your attack on me, in the context of the argument with Shifty, and judge you harshley and not me.. Shifty understands he was not being completley fair to the V6 community, and has sense changed his additude.. Shifty also took the "Jackle" comment in the context of the argument, and knew it was a light hearted jest.. You have brought nothing here to the conversation but more bitterness.. a bitterness we could all do with out.. Again, you said all of that, to then say you would choose the V8 over the V6.. I say to you, "Who cares"! LOL!!
Old 11/4/05, 01:55 PM
Cam Tease

The maturity of your reply has redeemed you in my eyes, though you must understand where I am coming from.
You act as if your own or every sixer out there is in fact the venerable CS6 and therefore more than entitled to "slap GT owners around." I am sure there is some stroked/blown/injected Taurus out there that can run 11 second E/Ts, but that certainly does not mean I'm going to post about it and talk about how Viper owners should look out because this super fast Taurus makes my vehicle a "credible performance platform," or whatever you claimed the CS6 made your cars.

You and the V6 community should absolutely take pride in your cars. I would kill a man for any Mustang, even a V6. But in terms of performance, the GT IS a better car. There is simply no way around that.

The V6 is the sole reason the Mustang still exists, and I love the V6 for that. Without mass sales to rental companies or people looking for a cool-looking affordable car, the Mustang wouldnt exist, but the V8 is the point of the Mustang existance.

Please take pride in your vehicles as they represent the best looking, best value, and often best performing cars in their segment. Don't devalue your cars by claiming that some aftermarket tweaked version of your motor makes it a threat to those that drive truly performance built Mustangs, to do so smacks of Ricer idealogy.
Old 11/4/05, 02:05 PM
MSP
Banned

Originally posted by AnotherMustangMan@November 4, 2005, 12:58 PM
The maturity of your reply has redeemed you in my eyes, though you must understand where I am coming from.
You act as if your own or every sixer out there is in fact the venerable CS6 and therefore more than entitled to "slap GT owners around." I am sure there is some stroked/blown/injected Taurus out there that can run 11 second E/Ts, but that certainly does not mean I'm going to post about it and talk about how Viper owners should look out because this super fast Taurus makes my vehicle a "credible performance platform," or whatever you claimed the CS6 made your cars.

You and the V6 community should absolutely take pride in your cars. I would kill a man for any Mustang, even a V6. But in terms of performance, the GT IS a better car. There is simply no way around that.

The V6 is the sole reason the Mustang still exists, and I love the V6 for that. Without mass sales to rental companies or people looking for a cool-looking affordable car, the Mustang wouldnt exist, but the V8 is the point of the Mustang existance.

Please take pride in your vehicles as they represent the best looking, best value, and often best performing cars in their segment. Don't devalue your cars by claiming that some aftermarket tweaked version of your motor makes it a threat to those that drive truly performance built Mustangs, to do so smacks of Ricer idealogy.

Lets look at this in a Nutshell... A typical 2005+ V6 Mustang owner, is an owner who has previously owned V8 Mustangs.. A typical V6 Owner is one who truley adores the 2005 Mustang GT, but feels the new cars are so great and worth having, even the V6 will do.. This is because the 2005 V6 Mustang can beat mostley all the older GT's bone stock.. Accept for a couple of years and models, the V6 is better than previous years Mustang GT's performance wise.. We as V6 owners already know our cars cant be as good as a GT in stock form, but like the challenge of trying our best to prove it can happen.. Again, most V6 owners love the Mustang GT so much, a V6 is good enough.. Most v6 owners would never buy a V6, if the appreciation for the GT did not exist.. This is the biggest flaw of most zealot GT owners.. They have so little confidence in their cars, they couldnt imagine living life with their car as a V6.. Most V6 owners have so much confidence in the GT, the V6 version is enough to prove how truley great the new Mustangs are.. So lets just say, that the average V6 owner has so much more confidence in the new Mustangs, they felt they could get the job done with 2 less cylinders, and a 7.5 rear-end!
Old 11/4/05, 02:18 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by AnotherMustangMan@November 4, 2005, 3:10 PM
<SNIP>
Edit:

<SNIP>

Regarding warranty of the CS6:
From MotorTrend:

"Legendary racecar driver and Cobra creator Carroll Shelby will offer a modified V-6 upgrade package for 2006 Ford Mustang. The CS 6 features a Shelby-exclusive Paxton NOVI-1200 Centrifugal supercharger that increases horsepower from the stock 210 to more than 350. Available in two stages, the package is intended to produce a faster, lighter, and more powerful Mustang with official Shelby performance, all for under $35,000; it can be installed by Ford dealers on either coupes or convertibles, will carry Ford warranty, and can be financed into the cost at the time of purchase."

Hmmmm... so much for your arguement about voiding your warranty...

Now lets look at some of the "performance" of your beloved V8 muscle car's... Here's some 1/4 mile times...

1964 Ford Mustang (289ci V8 w/4spd) 15.7
1966 Ford Mustang (289ci V8 Auto) 17.9
1967 Ford Mustang (390ci V8 w/4spd) 15.6
1971 Ford Mustang (351ci V8 w/4spd) 13.8
1973 Ford Mustang 351ci 16.3
1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 14.8
1999 Ford Mustang Cobra SVT 13.9
2004 Ford Mustang GT 14.8
2005 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L V8 13.5 (MT Jan 05)
2005 Ford Mustang GT Convertible 13.8 (MT Apr 05)

My car runs the 1/4 in 13.4..... on steet tires... hmmm... and with only 6 cylinders... I've spent $4,000 in performance mods which means I've saved $4,000 over what it would have cost me to get into a GT...

And the warranty thing... well, I've got 20,000 miles since March... so won't be long and I'll be through my free 36,000 miles...
Old 11/4/05, 02:28 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by MSP@November 4, 2005, 4:08 PM
Lets look at this in a Nutshell... A typical 2005+ V6 Mustang owner, is an owner who has previously owned V8 Mustangs.. A typical V6 Owner is one who truley adores the 2005 Mustang GT, but feels the new cars are so great and worth having, even the V6 will do.. This is because the 2005 V6 Mustang can beat mostley all the older GT's bone stock.. Accept for a couple of years and models, the V6 is better than previous years Mustang GT's performance wise.. We as V6 owners already know our cars cant be as good as a GT in stock form, but like the challenge of trying our best to prove it can happen.. Again, most V6 owners love the Mustang GT so much, a V6 is good enough.. Most v6 owners would never buy a V6, if the appreciation for the GT did not exist.. This is the biggest flaw of most zealot GT owners.. They have so little confidence in their cars, they couldnt imagine living life with their car as a V6.. Most V6 owners have so much confidence in the GT, the V6 version is enough to prove how truley great the new Mustangs are.. So lets just say, that the average V6 owner has so much more confidence in the new Mustangs, they felt they could get the job done with 2 less cylinders, and a 7.5 rear-end!
Yep, I've had a fair share of V8's before this car... including a 02 GT Vert... I bought the V6 because:

1) I love the looks of the 05... (actually I prefer the V6 grill to the GT grill)

2) Peformance wasn't high on my list... like I said style... I was however STUNNED by the performance of the V6 stock! Much better than I expected!

3) I had to have it NOW! I got the V6 on X-Plan.. no such luck on the GT... GT would have been close to $3000 over MSRP... sorry I never pay over sticker... Hence about an $8,000 difference...

I never intended to mod my car... it just sort of happened and just continued to snowball... My GT was completely stock... Is lot different... It has become a challenge to to push it a little bit harder.. and each time it hits a milestone I get a great amount of satisfaction!

To say that my car is not a performance car is the typical response I get from the closed minded GT owners... Luckily they are a very small majority...
Old 11/4/05, 02:31 PM
Cam Tease

I suppose you could reduce it down to a "confidence" issue, but it was always my understanding that muscle cars were about muscle...

And if, as you claim, "even the V6 will do" then why the mass orgasm over a supercharger?

I am well aware of the superiority of the S197 to the point even where V6s are better than previous generation V8 cars, and it can certainly "get the job done with 2 less cylinders." Assuming, that is, the aforementioned job description is defined as sporty transportation and destroying Civics, but if the job is worrying the self-concious 05 GT owners, I'm afraid the 6 won't be employed long.

Like I said, I love the V6 Mustang. But if looking to buy a foundation for building high-performing cars, the GT makes the V6 a foolish choice.

Supercharging a V6 makes about as much sense as buying a cloth couch for $2000, then spending the$500 to reupholster the couch with leather--risking poor fitment and wasting time in the shop-- instead of paying $2500 for the already-leather couch.

Enjoy the cloth couch, itll get the job done, but don't find a Cloth Couch Owners Forum and post an article about a formerly-cloth-but-now-leather couch and talk about how leather couch owners should worry.
Old 11/4/05, 02:40 PM
Cam Tease

Scrming,

"

all for under $35,000; it can be installed by Ford dealers on either coupes or convertibles, will carry Ford warranty, and can be financed into the cost at the time of purchase."

Hmmmm... so much for your arguement about voiding your warranty...

"

WHOA... SWEET.

For only $35,000, you get 50 hp more than the gt, AND a warranty?!?!?

I'll bet GT owners feel like idiots, paying $25k for their cars + $3k for tune/cai, 4.10 gears, pulleys, throttle body, and the $700 zex nitrous kit you seem to love so much.

oh, and way to use 35+ year old V8s as evidence of the greatness of a 2005 cars V6.
Old 11/4/05, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by AnotherMustangMan@November 4, 2005, 4:34 PM
I suppose you could reduce it down to a "confidence" issue, but it was always my understanding that muscle cars were about muscle...

And if, as you claim, "even the V6 will do" then why the mass orgasm over a supercharger?

I am well aware of the superiority of the S197 to the point even where V6s are better than previous generation V8 cars, and it can certainly "get the job done with 2 less cylinders." Assuming, that is, the aforementioned job description is defined as sporty transportation and destroying Civics, but if the job is worrying the self-concious 05 GT owners, I'm afraid the 6 won't be employed long.

Like I said, I love the V6 Mustang. But if looking to buy a foundation for building high-performing cars, the GT makes the V6 a foolish choice.

Supercharging a V6 makes about as much sense as buying a cloth couch for $2000, then spending the$500 to reupholster the couch with leather--risking poor fitment and wasting time in the shop-- instead of paying $2500 for the already-leather couch.

Enjoy the cloth couch, itll get the job done, but don't find a Cloth Couch Owners Forum and post an article about a formerly-cloth-but-now-leather couch and talk about how leather couch owners should worry.
Would this cloth couch analogy apply to 5.0 owners doing engine swaps to get 11 second runs? Why not just buy a cobra and be done with it? Why not pay SVT to build you a custom car for you.

Why?

I can tell you why, because customizing our cars is what makes them unique, what makes them ours. And we can be proud of our 13 second or 11 second “couch”. Guess what, I have news for you, there is always a faster car out there. Who would have thought a WRX or Lancer could actually get numbers like a GT stang. Take a look at the WRX, it is sick fast and I’ve been in the GT forums…..and stock GT’s are weary of it. heck, there are SUV’s now that wanna put some smack down on sports cars.

GT’s are great cars, cobra’s and V6’s, and news flash…all are good building blocks for a performance vehicle. Yes a equally modded GT will beat a equally modded 6 any day of the week, but its still really cool to take a 6 and make it faster than a stock GT for less. That is where the V6 pride comes in and I think its pretty cool!

Oh…wait…isn’t this post in the V6 section????? Who would of thought….another V6 forum troll. What a surprise to everyone here.

Click on the back button a few times, it will take you to the main forum. Just some technical support for you, perhaps you didn’t realize this post was in the V6 section.

:nono:

Quick Reply: Shelby V6?