GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

guaging interest in an auto shifter

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/07, 01:34 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Throttle Box
A or B
This presents a good case for not leaving threads open for nearly 2 years. Nobody reads.
Old 9/13/07, 01:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had one of these designs in my Z28, let's say these are one reason Super Shops locally went out of business. I bet I went thru 5 of these back when I had my Z28 because they either broke, come from the factory missing hardware or B&M made them for clearance items from the beginning.
Old 9/13/07, 06:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with the other statements that A is just too spartan. I do like B, and as stated, was not even an option.

If I were a design engineer for this product, I would get feedback, such as we are providing, and design my product accordingly. A person would think it could be redesigned with the same base and use a bar stock instead of rod stock. Then you bend it and simply mount the T handle on it. VOLIA!

Is this just me or does this seem reasonable?
Old 9/13/07, 08:30 AM
Cobra Member

Guys,
I had requested feedback from the start of this thread and many of you provided it throughout the posting. In fact, if you go way back you will see the initial pics i posted most everyone liked. I also said with the trans tunnel on the stock unit and the console design a flat and or bent stick was not a good option because of the spring concerns on the shifter and binding problems. We tried it already!!!.. Oh, and believe me: B&M had absolutely NOTHING to do with the SuperShops disaster.Please do not implicate our company with the downfall of that company!..Its called not paying your bills to more that 3 dozen manufacturers. Please have your facts in order before you choose to imply a company caused their decline.
Old 9/13/07, 08:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mach
If I were a design engineer for this product, I would get feedback, such as we are providing, and design my product accordingly. A person would think it could be redesigned with the same base and use a bar stock instead of rod stock. Then you bend it and simply mount the T handle on it. VOLIA!
Back when this thread started I watched it with interest because I had my 05 V6 with auto. I was really excited about B&M doing a shifter for it, because I grew up on B&M and Hurst shifters and I don't care for the stock Mustang auto shifter. I was astounded when they finally posted pictures of the prototype, it looks nothing like a B&M shifter. They really need to get back to their roots on this and figure out how to provide their traditional flat bar stick. Early on when I asked about this the response was they couldn't do it because the bar wouldn't be strong enough, well I don't buy that. If it has worked in so many other muscle cars over the years it can be made to work in the Mustang.
Old 9/13/07, 08:52 AM
Cobra Member

it has less to to with the flat bar and everything to do with the trans tunnel and the way it narrows down as it comes up into the console. In order to attach a flat stick to the shifter mechanism, the mating up portion would need to be so thin it could break with repeated "spirited" shifts. Now, I am not an engineer but the guys who designed it are and this is what one of the concerns was. As long as this thing has been going on, would you really want something in the car that may have durability issues down the road?. I agree with you it would look better, but this console and mounting points underneath the car are nowhere near as "user friendly" as earlier muscle cars or even the ealier SN95's or Fox bodies.
Old 9/13/07, 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by subzero05
I agree with you it would look better, but this console and mounting points underneath the car are nowhere near as "user friendly" as earlier muscle cars or even the ealier SN95's or Fox bodies.
I just want it, Chris. Don't care how it looks to be honest. I've been contemplating that if I ever get this installed, I'll look at modding a leather boot for it, and possibly chrome it to match my IUP.

I wish I could get a hold of a diagram of the stock shifter, though. It seems they got that to work, and although the T-handle is a bit...odd...the faceplate is decent. Why wouldn't a stock faceplate mate up with your new shifter? Seems the shaft goes right through the area where the stock shifter channel is.
Old 9/13/07, 09:56 AM
Cobra Member

I suppose it could but not sure how that would look?. We tried to design the shifter around the cars interior which is why we gave it the billet face etc to match both the IUP and non IUP cars that have either all black interior or those with the gray.
Old 9/13/07, 10:55 AM
Bullitt Member

I too have been eagerly watching this thread since the beginning and will get this shifter when it comes out, at first it was for my V6 auto but now its will be for my GT auto.

Chris keep up the great work and hurry up I want it.
Old 9/13/07, 02:00 PM
GT Member

I wonder how difficult it would be to construct a rubber or leather boot for the B&M shifter? IMO, that would look sweet if perfected and done right!
Old 9/14/07, 06:30 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LAK3RS
I wonder how difficult it would be to construct a rubber or leather boot for the B&M shifter? IMO, that would look sweet if perfected and done right!
Not too difficult, I have seen on the forums here someone that did it to a regular auto but cant seem to find the thread.
Old 9/16/07, 03:23 PM

http://www.redlinegoods.com/Mustang05shiftboot4.shtm
Old 9/16/07, 03:30 PM

Old 9/16/07, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Throttle Box
A or B
"B" without a dought. I would buy it in a heart beat.

Dont like the appearance of "A" at all.
Old 9/16/07, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Thnx Throttle Box
Old 9/16/07, 11:13 PM
Bullitt Member

well there is no doubt the "old style" would look better but it aint gonna happen, I want it when it becomes available, the DIY modifications will then begin to customize it . LOL I think with the right handle choice it is going to look better than most think, however the option always remains for those who don't like it to just not buy one.
Old 9/16/07, 11:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by subzero05
I suppose it could but not sure how that would look?. We tried to design the shifter around the cars interior which is why we gave it the billet face etc to match both the IUP and non IUP cars that have either all black interior or those with the gray.
You'll have to excuse my crappy edit job:

Old 9/16/07, 11:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I love the idea, and i do admit i would rather have a Hurst style shifter, i know it will not happen. I can see a shift boot on that shifter but the problem that the redline boot has is that you can not see the trans position letters. I know true car people just feel the gears but what about the people that rely on being able to see what gear the car is in. B&M would need to add alot more for a boot to work for true gear heads and the average joe (meaning a digital position indicator just to add a boot). The O/D button is another thing, if a boot is added how will people remember the O/D button is under there or the O/D button will have to be moved once again and this would mean the sacrafice of the button on another **** just to accomidate the O/D button. All in All to much production cost for it. I say just add the little brushes in the channel to keep debris out of there and it will make it look better. Plus remember people this will accomidate other ***** so even though the black one does not look all to good, think of it with an optional T handle that you can more than likely pick up at an autozone for a B&M shifter
Old 9/16/07, 11:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

see now imagine that channel being brushes on the new one, and that would look cool
Old 9/16/07, 11:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

That does look good, now drop a t-handle on it and see how that looks!!

Quick Reply: guaging interest in an auto shifter