GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Granatelli Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/07, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Granatelli
And again like I have said several times before, once you go WOT there is no difference in the 2 locations. Image a tube under pressure. The pressure should be the same in the tube no matter where you read it. When you are WOT, from the outlet of the turbo to the top of the intake valve the pressure should be the same.

For the purists yes there is a small pressure drop through the intercooler

What about when you are at part throttle?
Old 12/18/07, 05:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I can see why you would say that but look at it like this. We have sold 14 more kits since Tom got his. Not one has had an issue. While that might not make Tom happy the fact still remains
1. I still have not been given a chance to see any of the parts (BOV, WG or turbo)
2. Tom listens to me but rarely follows my advice. Like he said the turbo turns so he assumes nothing is wrong with it . He kinda makes it hard to help. The forums are great for help but in this case like many other times - too many opinions are like too many cooks in the kitchen
3. 80% of our customer are not running bost controllers
Come on JR, Its not really helping to tell a guy that spent 2 weeks installing your kit "hey just pull it apart and send it back to me and Ill keep it for a week or so and maybe or maybe not find anything I can tell that s wrong with them" Maybe if you "cooked" a little better the other chefs would all stand back and watch. If the turbo spins freely and has no play what else could be wrong with it O might chef?
Old 12/18/07, 05:25 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by turbo05gt
What about when you are at part throttle?
At part throttle, you would have no pressure at the turbo and a slight amount of vac at the manifold
Old 12/18/07, 05:28 PM
Bullitt Member

At part throttle, you would have no pressure at the turbo and a slight amount of vac at the manifold
Im really just trying to learn here but why does Tial tell you to run it that way?
Old 12/18/07, 05:32 PM
Former Vendor

Come on JR, Its not really helping to tell a guy that spent 2 weeks installing your kit "hey just pull it apart and send it back to me and Ill keep it for a week or so and maybe or maybe not find anything I can tell that s wrong with them" Maybe if you "cooked" a little better the other chefs would all stand back and watch. If the turbo spins freely and has no play what else could be wrong with it O might chef?
That is a typical bash statement. It serves no purpose and assumes we would sit on his stuff. None of that is true. I have been hovering around here and speaking with Tom minutes after he emails or seconds after he calls. I commend Tom for wanting to learn and do it his way but he could have sent us the 3 parts when they first became an issue to him and we could have checked them all out. As for finding out if there is an issue - we won't know until I see the parts. Again I need to follow the facts. The facts are that Tom is the first guy that can't spool his turbo like we say the turbo should. I looked at is car and said it looked OK visually - so now it is time to send me stuff. He says he is sure the BOV and WG as fine so send me the turbo already and lets get this thing over
Old 12/18/07, 05:40 PM
Bullitt Member

That is a typical bash statement. It serves no purpose and assumes we would sit on his stuff. None of that is true. I have been hovering around here and speaking with Tom minutes after he emails or seconds after he calls. I commend Tom for wanting to learn and do it his way but he could have sent us the 3 parts when they first became an issue to him and we could have checked them all out. As for finding out if there is an issue - we won't know until I see the parts. Again I need to follow the facts. The facts are that Tom is the first guy that can't spool his turbo like we say the turbo should. I looked at is car and said it looked OK visually - so now it is time to send me stuff. He says he is sure the BOV and WG as fine so send me the turbo already and lets get this thing over
Hey I just pm'd you, all Im saying is that its easy to say "hey just pull them off and send them to me" for the average Joe. How much do you think it would be to ship all of those items, $75-$100 and it would take a week or so to get to you, how long will you need to get on things (I know how hard it is to drop everything and jump on problems like these) then a week back and another week to reinstall it all back on the car. So we are looking at having his car down another month. Its not at easy as it sounds. What if Tom sends you those parts and you find nothing wrong with them? Will you "allow" Tom to take off the entire kit and send it ALL back for a new kit?
Old 12/18/07, 05:49 PM
Former Vendor

Hey I just pm'd you, all Im saying is that its easy to say "hey just pull them off and send them to me" for the average Joe. How much do you think it would be to ship all of those items, $75-$100 and it would take a week or so to get to you, how long will you need to get on things (I know how hard it is to drop everything and jump on problems like these) then a week back and another week to reinstall it all back on the car. So we are looking at having his car down another month. Its not at easy as it sounds. What if Tom sends you those parts and you find nothing wrong with them? Will you "allow" Tom to take off the entire kit and send it ALL back for a new kit?
We agreed to work on Tom's part the same day they came in. If the parts are bad we would replace them and pay the freight. There is no reason to exchange the entire kit, but if that is what it took I guess I would have no choice. exchanging a tube for a tube will change a thing but looking at the moving parts would go a long way towards it . Tom has said on several occassions had we not told him we thought it was lazy he would have been happy. So we brought this on ourselves

At the end of the day everyone can say or think what they want - we are still here trying to help him out and not saying it is what it is. People keep speculating and wondering why it did not make more power at 13psi. it was only there for a milisecond
Old 12/18/07, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

We agreed to work on Tom's part the same day they came in. If the parts are bad we would replace them and pay the freight. There is no reason to exchange the entire kit, but if that is what it took I guess I would have no choice. exchanging a tube for a tube will change a thing but looking at the moving parts would go a long way towards it . Tom has said on several occassions had we not told him we thought it was lazy he would have been happy. So we brought this on ourselves

At the end of the day everyone can say or think what they want - we are still here trying to help him out and not saying it is what it is. People keep speculating and wondering why it did not make more power at 13psi. it was only there for a milisecond

The power is there its only the spool (in my mind) that is an issue.

Tom has said on several occassions had we not told him we thought it was lazy he would have been happy. So we brought this on ourselves
This is kinda like how happy you were the first time you got "lucky" and looking back on it how bad it actually was now that you know better, I think it will be much of the same here.
Old 12/18/07, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll say it one more time. Pressurizing the system should be your first course of action. It is a lot easier and less time-consuming than dismantling the system and returning it piecemeal. If nothing leaks, then you can start taking off parts. A visual inspection is not adequate. It needs to be functional. The fact remains you know in its current configuration your turbo develops at least 13 psi which is more than adequate to make tons of power. There is no reason to believe that it is going to make more horsepower at 13 psi with a boost controller connected than without one. Here is a possible scenario. If the turbo is spinning fast enough to make 25 psi then that is what the MAF sensor is telling the ECU. If half that pressure is being lost somewhere downstream of the compressor discharge the ECU, I believe, has no way of knowing this since it is not a speed-density system. That would account for the fact that even at 13 psi you are not making big power. This could also explain why your initial tune from Granatelli was so far off. In point of fact it may be that the tune was on the mark. However, if the system is leaking and you alter the tune to try and compensate you end up creating a mess.
As far as connecting the boost controller to both ports and having the boost run wild, that is ridiculous. As someone facetiously mentioned, a boost controller controls boost.
Re: all the free advice being given, I am a psychiatrist, so take mine with a grain of lithium.
Old 12/18/07, 07:20 PM
GTR Member

And again like I have said several times before, once you go WOT there is no difference in the 2 locations. Image a tube under pressure. The pressure should be the same in the tube no matter where you read it. When you are WOT, from the outlet of the turbo to the top of the intake valve the pressure should be the same.
After this post, I'm not going to argue about this anymore.

1. Hose didn't come in the kit, so I asked you if I needed to buy regular vacuum hose.
2. You said not to hook it up.
3. Boost went to 13.4 psi.
4. You admitted you were wrong and said to hook it up.
5. I asked where? To the turbo?
6. You said it didn't matter, "there is no difference".

Guess what? Since Tial told me that by connecting the hose AFTER the throttle plate I could "run the risk of damaging the diaphragm", that kinda sounds like it does ****ing matter!

Your answer should not have been, "it doesn't matter at WOT". Your answer should have been, "it NEEDS to be hooked up BEFORE the throttle plate, PERIOD".

I would have hooked it up before the throttle plate.

Old 12/18/07, 07:38 PM
GTR Member

Tom has said on several occassions had we not told him we thought it was lazy he would have been happy. So we brought this on ourselves
That is true... I would have been dumb and happy. I would have had it dyno'd on a Dyno Jet and got something like 425 HP / 405 TQ. Would have seemed pretty good. Those numbers are with a de-tuned tune (since Scott pulled timing when he saw 13psi) and no line to the WG at all. Now I have a better tune and a way to keep boost to 8psi.

At the end of the day everyone can say or think what they want - we are still here trying to help him out and not saying it is what it is.
And I appreciate that. I just need some time here. It's the holidays. My wife is PO'd everyday at me since I spend so much time talking about this and writing on here. I have no time after work to actually DO anything.

Can I please get everything hooked up properly? Then have the car run with the new tune on a Dyno Jet?

Then we can look at the new chart and see if it's still crappy.
Old 12/18/07, 07:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Maybe JR can slide some $$$ Scotts way to spend some serious time tuning your car when its all said and done.
Old 12/18/07, 08:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

This just seems to get worse and worse.
Old 12/18/07, 09:23 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

J.R.,

Please continue this issue with the customer via e-mail and not on this web forum.

THANK YOU,
This Forum is now closed/ SEALED

TDS