General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Ponies on The Run (Again)

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/07, 12:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom-The new bar looks awesome. Glad to hear they're shipping you another one without defects.

Bill-I agree with Tom and Daryl on the placement of the stripes.

S/C preference-Twin screw either KB or Saleen. If one day I do amass enough money for one I'd probably ditch the shaker and get a new hood.

Did you guy's know there's a hidden mickey mouse in your car??
Old 3/2/07, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by habu
They do get the job done and I suppose they're not turbos so...
The hot-rodder in me just cringes at them. They do integrate a little better, but look at that horrible intake path on the link that Bill lncluded. I know it makes power it just seems so restrictive.

But when you've got a couple grand to toss about we can worry about it then, much like when I have several grand to get my whipple
When the hot rod power tour was here in Orlando, I deceided Whipple was the way to go. The prices are coming down though, a FR unit in black can be had for a little over $4k.
Attached Thumbnails Ponies on The Run (Again)-power-tour-006.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 3/2/07, 01:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Daryl's DRL install is up in the Hotlinks now.
Old 3/2/07, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
Bill-I agree with Tom and Daryl on the placement of the stripes.

Did you guy's know there's a hidden mickey mouse in your car??
Done deal! Centered and at least 3/4" will be the layout. Hopefully will do this tomorrow morning and get pics up shortly after.

Leo, you're having waaay too much fun with your new camera!

Old 3/2/07, 01:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 89Trooper
This always seems to happen to me (remember the Shaker?). I don't think I'm being too picky, and neither does Steve at Aeroform. He wants to overnight me one so I'll have it for tomorrow's show. I told him that was awesome customer service, but to just send it regular Fed-Ex.
Tom, the car looks AWESOME on the car, and I think the black was definitely the correct decision.

Sorry to hear about the bar itself. But, I'm glad to hear that Steve was understanding and even willing to ship it next day if needed.

Like I said, they have GREAT customer service. Yes, it's upsetting to see the two new orders from TMS had "issues," but I think customer service says more than the product sometimes.
Old 3/2/07, 01:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Great news: It was finally a nice enough day to be able to take the car out for a spin with the top down

It was a perfect convertible day: 70 degrees, mostly sunny, a nice cool breeze. Those days don't happen too often, so I had to capitalize on it.
Old 3/2/07, 02:55 PM
GTR Member

Thanks for all the compliments!

Originally Posted by TacoBill
Will some Z-16 over the entire bar help hide that spot a little better?
I tried that and it didn't work. It's a very hard material to apply Z-16 to or anything, really. What do you use Mike? Chuck? Trade secret, Chuck?
Old 3/2/07, 02:58 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Great news: It was finally a nice enough day to be able to take the car out for a spin with the top down

It was a perfect convertible day: 70 degrees, mostly sunny, a nice cool breeze. Those days don't happen too often, so I had to capitalize on it.
Sounds good! I'm hoping I'll be able to drive to the car show in the morning with the top down. It'll be 7am and around 65 degrees. I don't care if it rains off and on while we are there, but I don't want the roads wet while we're driving.
Old 3/2/07, 03:09 PM

... but I don't want the roads wet while we're driving.
Careful Tom, Daryl might start calling you a SoCal wuss.
Old 3/2/07, 03:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Careful Tom, Daryl might start calling you a SoCal wuss.
I don't see Tom calling 65° COLD ?? Like some other SoCal Wusses I know. and he would be a SoFla Wuss anyway or is it MidFla
Old 3/2/07, 03:23 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
I don't see Tom calling 65° COLD ?? Like some other SoCal Wusses I know. and he would be a SoFla Wuss anyway or is it MidFla
CenFla

65 degrees isn't cold... I drove to work in 50 degree weather with the top down - just turned on the heat!

After all my work today cleaning the cars, I really don't want them getting all that road grime on them.
Old 3/2/07, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by OKCMustangGT
What do you want to bet that he'll be wearing an expedition jacket with the heater on full blast??

btw- 65° is cold!

edit: I told you he would use the heater!
Old 3/2/07, 03:28 PM
GTR Member

What do you want to bet that he'll be wearing an expedition jacket with the heater on full blast??

btw- 65° is cold!

edit: I told you he would use the heater!
That was with 50°!
Old 3/2/07, 04:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks for all the compliments!

I tried that and it didn't work. It's a very hard material to apply Z-16 to or anything, really. What do you use Mike? Chuck? Trade secret, Chuck?
I've never heard of Z-16. What I use is a regular dash protectant (ie-meguairs quick detail, black magic, whatever). But, I would NOT recommend a "cream"-like cleaner, such as the Meguiars in the red bottle, because it gets "stuck" in the texture of the bar [and please, no jokes.....]
Old 3/2/07, 04:42 PM
KdF
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only use 303 protectant on my dash nowdays.
Old 3/2/07, 05:00 PM
GTR Member

I've never heard of Z-16. What I use is a regular dash protectant (ie-meguairs quick detail, black magic, whatever). But, I would NOT recommend a "cream"-like cleaner, such as the Meguiars in the red bottle, because it gets "stuck" in the texture of the bar [and please, no jokes.....]
Z-16 is a Zaino product (click on product info). It says it's for tires, but we've talked to Sal, the owner and he says it's safe to use on interior stuff, too, including the leather seats. I tone it down with 1 part water, and 2 parts Z-16 (per Sal) to break the sheen a little, but to still get the protection. It's not a cream.
But everything I put on the bar seems to make it spotty. When I wipe it on, the towel sticks to the bar. I looked at it closely and there are holes in it that the towel fiber sticks to. I think I just got a very inferior bar. I'm sure the next one will be a lot better - he's going to hand pick it.
Old 3/2/07, 08:19 PM
GTR Member

Aeroform Sport Bar Write-Up

If it gets the TacoBill stamp of approval, use this link, Bill:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=61451

The instructions were very thorough, but here are some additional pictures and info:

The first step is to pop off this side trim panel. Reach into the hole where the seat belt comes out and lift up. Several clips hold the panel in place, but it pops up easily.

This is what's underneath. The circle shape in the stabilizing foam is where I layed the bracket in place to get an idea of how much foam had to be cut away in an upcoming step.

These two bolts have to be removed next using a 10mm socket. DO NOT drop the bolts or the socket down into the openings or they could be lost forever. I checked the approximate torque of the bolts before removing them and it was 100 lb-in. Remove the window trim rail.

Next, about 2" of the stabalizing foam needs to be cut away to allow clearance for the mounting bracket. I used the blade shown and just did it by hand. I sliced off what you see in the second pic. Use caution not to damage the speaker or wiring below the bracket.

The Sport Bar mounting bracket goes in with the window trim rail using the same bolts. Follow the supplied instructions to see exactly how the mounting bracket and the window trim rail fit together. Start the bolts by hand and start the bolt toward the rear of the car first. After both bolts are started by hand, tighten them both and then torque to 100 lb-in. The instructions don't give a torque, but I like to make sure everything is even. 100 lb-in is a hair tighter than they were from the factory, but it isn't too tight to even come close to stripping the bolts.

This supplied template shows exactly where to mark the center of the hole that needs to be cut into the panel removed in step #1. I used an awl to make the mark. I then drilled the hole out with a small drill bit.

I noticed that this roll of electrical tape had the same inside diameter of the hole that needed to be cut into the panel: 1 1/4". I layed the roll of tape on the panel, putting the small hole in the center and marked the bigger hole with a Sharpie.

The instructions say to use a hole saw, but since I didn't have a 1 1/4" hole saw, I just used a dremel to enlarge the hole to the proper size. Here is the panel snapped back into place with the hole the perfect size for the bar to go through into the receiver. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself! The hole only needs to be the size of the inside diameter of the tube on the mounting bracket.

Now just repeat everything for the other side of the car.

Finally, you can lay the bar into place. I did it myself, but it may be easier with a helper. The suppled allen wrench fits through the seat belt opening to tighten the set screw that securely holds the Sport Bar into place. Push down on the bar slightly to get the best possible look at the area where it meets the trim panel. Don't push down too much or it could distort the edge of the foam facing outward. There's not much leverage, but you can use an adjustable wrench to turn the allen wrench and really get a good bite on the bar with the set screw.

The finished product! Looks awesome and it's very easy to install.

Old 3/2/07, 10:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool write up
That looks really good on a vert. I saw one on one of the cruises that I was in last month and wondered how/what it was, now I know
Old 3/2/07, 10:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by habu
Cool write up
That looks really good on a vert. I saw one on one of the cruises that I was in last month and wondered how/what it was, now I know
+1
Old 3/2/07, 10:23 PM

I've never heard of Z-16.
Hey Mike, there's a few Zaino followers here (me included ), it's some pretty good stuff... but expensive.

Originally Posted by KdF
I only use 303 protectant on my dash nowdays.
303 is good stuff too.

If it gets the TacoBill stamp of approval, use this link, Bill:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=61451
I'll check it out, I'm sure it'll get the Seal of Approval.

Quick Reply: Ponies on The Run (Again)