Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

WHATS FOR DINNER?

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/14, 09:34 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickstang
Made a big batch of homemade salsa this evening. And ate a bunch of it with beer and chips and beer.
you forgot to add "and more beer"
Old 7/23/14, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phiggs54
you forgot to add "and more beer"
Naw, I stopped before I got to "and more beer".
Old 7/23/14, 10:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Fiancée made homemade posole!
Old 7/23/14, 11:20 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Flank steak seasoned up with some Montreal steak seasoning cooked directly on the hot coals along with some grilled vegetables (zucchini, bell pepper, red onion and asparagus) and baked potato.

It was a pretty easy meal to make since it involved putting a generous amount of seasoning on each side of the flank steak and letting it sit on the counter for around an hour before slapping it right down on the hot coals for about a minute and half per side then took each piece of meat and wrapped it in some foil to let it finish cooking finally slicing the two flank steaks in half and further sliced the meat into about half to three quarter inch wide strips.

The vegetables were splashed with some olive oil and left over steak seasoning and tossed on the grill.

Potatoes were cleaned and tossed in the oven at 500 degrees directly on the rack for about an hour as the grill was set up for the flank steak.
Old 7/23/14, 11:57 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
Montreal steak .
I've tried that but its just too much salt. Like most blends.
Old 7/24/14, 04:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Fiancée made homemade posole!
Stop avoiding the language filters.
Old 7/24/14, 07:08 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I've tried that but its just too much salt. Like most blends.

I agree but in this case it worked pretty good with a tough cut of meat and the issue of leaving it out on the counter for an hour.

The regular method is to just put a generous amount of salt on the flank or skirt steak so I went with the Montreal seasoning.

I think next time I try this I'm going to forego the season on the vegetables and just use olive oil on them and put the flank steak over the vegetables and let the drippings from the steak season them.
Old 7/24/14, 08:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Try BBQing the flank steak--not grilling, BBQing, as in no hotter than about 230*. It takes longer, but the meat is very tender when it's done and you don't have to add anything other than a rub or a marinade, both of which allow you to limit the salt to what you want to use.
Old 7/24/14, 06:00 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Ribeyes and baked taters on the grill.
Old 7/24/14, 06:02 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Sammiches
Old 7/24/14, 06:06 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Try BBQing the flank steak--not grilling, BBQing, as in no hotter than about 230*. It takes longer, but the meat is very tender when it's done and you don't have to add anything other than a rub or a marinade, both of which allow you to limit the salt to what you want to use.

It was something I saw and wanted to give a try as salting steak and letting it stand is generally considered verboten plus the whole caveman cooking style piqued my interest. I've never cooked naked food directly on the coals before.
Old 7/24/14, 06:16 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by bob
I've never cooked naked food directly on the coals before.
I never have intentionally, although I've dropped some **** in a fire before and ate it anyway. :toodrunktocare:
Old 7/24/14, 08:41 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I never have intentionally, although I've dropped some **** in a fire before and ate it anyway. :toodrunktocare:
I've fallen face first into my lit Weber kettle. There may have been a couple of pitchers of margaritas involved. It only took about a month for my eyebrows to grow back.
Old 7/24/14, 08:50 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

This weekend I'm going to move up to some New York strip and see how that does directly on the fire and see what 3-4 minutes does per side.

I've seen a video where a guy did porter house steaks this way with black pepper and tossed some onions in the peel and portabellas right on the fire then made a pan sauce by putting one of the steaks in the pan for a second along with some butter and then some heavy cream and cooking till reduced.

Last edited by bob; 7/24/14 at 08:56 PM.
Old 7/24/14, 09:08 PM
Post *****

I've fallen face first into my lit Weber kettle. There may have been a couple of pitchers of margaritas involved. It only took about a month for my eyebrows to grow back.

What haven't you done
Old 7/24/14, 09:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Sounds a bit like my dad's cousin: worked in the valley (Brownsville) for a farmer with my dad in the summers during high school. The farm had a gas tank house where the fuel was delivered and kept. Back then the fuel they bought didn't have the odor that is added to gasoline. Naturally, being the idiot that my cousin is, he was finishing his work late and decided to have a cigarette--right outside the fuel house doors. A week prior, one of the illegals suspected a leak in the house. My dad's cousin decided the guy was playing tricks on him and didn't report or fix it. Needless to say, the aftermath left a crater where the fuel tank used to be, all four corrugated-metal walls were blown well away from where they stood, the roof was nowhere to be found and my dad's cousin was blown over 100 feet away from the blast. Yes, he survived, but his eyebrows, the front half of his hair, his shirt, his chest hair and most of his jeans did not. He woke up in the third row of cotton unable to remember anything and complaining of sun-burn-like pain on his face, arms and chest.
Old 7/24/14, 09:12 PM
Post *****

Sounds a bit like my dad's cousin: worked in the valley (Brownsville) for a farmer with my dad in the summers during high school. The farm had a gas tank house where the fuel was delivered and kept. Back then the fuel they bought didn't have the odor that is added to gasoline. Naturally, being the idiot that my cousin is, he was finishing his work late and decided to have a cigarette--right outside the fuel house doors. A week prior, one of the illegals suspected a leak in the house. My dad's cousin decided the guy was playing tricks on him and didn't report or fix it. Needless to say, the aftermath left a crater where the fuel tank used to be, all four corrugated-metal walls were blown well away from where they stood, the roof was nowhere to be found and my dad's cousin was blown over 100 feet away from the blast. Yes, he survived, but his eyebrows, the front half of his hair, his shirt, his chest hair and most of his jeans did not. He woke up in the third row of cotton unable to remember anything and complaining of sun-burn-like pain on his face, arms and chest.
Darwin winner right there
Old 7/24/14, 09:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Darwin winner right there
You have no idea. That particular cousin is the source of more laughs in our family than everyone else combined. Same farm, same summer, drove the tractor that was at that point ancient (this was in the '60s) up and down the farm road to the highway. Foreman told him to quit, it was going to end up killing the tractor and the owner had told him not to drive it full open throttle. He decides to ignore both and runs the tractor at full throttle down the farm road, just as the owner is coming home with his brand new Cadillac convertible, white leather interior. The cadillac slows down, presumably so he can tell my dad's cousin to stop driving the tractor that way, when my dad sees the side of the tractor engine explode, hears what sounds like a tank's main gun going off and sees the piston shoot out over the caddy into the field like it was fired from a howitzer. Tractor oil sprays all over the owner and the interior of his brand new cadillac. It was at that point that my dad's cousin was finally relieved of his duties at the farm.
Old 7/24/14, 09:41 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
You have no idea. That particular cousin is the source of more laughs in our family than everyone else combined. Same farm, same summer, drove the tractor that was at that point ancient (this was in the '60s) up and down the farm road to the highway. Foreman told him to quit, it was going to end up killing the tractor and the owner had told him not to drive it full open throttle. He decides to ignore both and runs the tractor at full throttle down the farm road, just as the owner is coming home with his brand new Cadillac convertible, white leather interior. The cadillac slows down, presumably so he can tell my dad's cousin to stop driving the tractor that way, when my dad sees the side of the tractor engine explode, hears what sounds like a tank's main gun going off and sees the piston shoot out over the caddy into the field like it was fired from a howitzer. Tractor oil sprays all over the owner and the interior of his brand new cadillac. It was at that point that my dad's cousin was finally relieved of his duties at the farm.
Oh my gosh.
Old 7/24/14, 09:44 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

On the subject, I had chicken tacos for dinner. Homemade pico from the wifey.

Quick Reply: WHATS FOR DINNER?