Old 7/17/14, 04:59 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow. Food politics.

appetizer err... excerpts:

California's foie gras ban waddles to the Supreme Court

By Brianna Coviello
Published July 17, 2014

NEW YORK – California’s ban on force-feeding ducks and geese to produce foie gras could become an entrée on the U.S. Supreme Court’s summer menu.

According to a state law that was adopted in 2004 but didn’t take effect until two years ago, “a product may not be sold in California if it is the result of force-feeding a bird for the purpose of enlarging the bird’s liver beyond normal size,” the typical method of producing the rich and buttery delicacy.

But 13 states – including South Carolina, Missouri, Kansas and Georgia - say the ban unconstitutionally interferes with interstate commerce. They say California’s ban on the sale and production of foie gras restricts the delicacy’s legal production in states that never agreed to the ban and is hurting the businesses of out-of-state farmers.

The issue, attorneys for the 13 states agreed in a brief supporting the case, which was brought by Santa Monica, Calif.-based attorney Michael Tenenbaum, “is of exceptional importance to the preservation of state sovereignty.”

California Deputy Attorney General Stephanie Zook, who led preparation of the state’s 14-page Supreme Court brief defending the ban, cited evidence that “force-feeding causes ducks’ livers to swell to 10 times their normal size.” Violations of the law are punishable by fines of up to $1,000 per sale per day, though its enforcement has not been strict.

“State laws prohibiting the sale of products based on concerns about animal welfare, or simply on a social consensus concerning what is appropriate, are not unusual,” California’s brief says, adding that “several states prohibit the sale of horse meat for human consumption.”
But the constitutionality of the foie gras ban is what could trigger the Supreme Court’s attention. Opponents say the law violates the Constitution’s dormant commerce clause, a phrase that refers to a prohibition on states enacting discriminatory barriers against commerce from other states.

“California may forbid its own farmers from using an established feeding technique,” Tenenbaum wrote in his petition, “but California cannot then seek to ‘level the playing field’ by depriving out-of state farmers of the competitive advantage they retain.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...cmp=latestnews

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/17/14 at 05:01 PM.
Old 7/17/14, 05:30 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 600 Likes on 431 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Telling you man, I just dig Alabama. Louisiana is where the industry is but Bama is great. Wish it wasn't 3 hours away. Lol
Next time you're at Felix's get an order of crab claws for an appetizer. Probably the best ones I've had, but they're market price so they can be really pricey for what you get depending on what time of the year it is. And last time I was in there one of our party got the pork chops on grits, topped with crawfish in cream sauce. Didn't sound too appetizing at first, but my God it was delicious.
Old 7/17/14, 05:33 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Wow. Food politics. appetizer err... excerpts: California's foie gras ban waddles to the Supreme Court By Brianna Coviello Published July 17, 2014 NEW YORK – California’s ban on force-feeding ducks and geese to produce foie gras could become an entrée on the U.S. Supreme Court’s summer menu. According to a state law that was adopted in 2004 but didn’t take effect until two years ago, “a product may not be sold in California if it is the result of force-feeding a bird for the purpose of enlarging the bird’s liver beyond normal size,” the typical method of producing the rich and buttery delicacy. But 13 states – including South Carolina, Missouri, Kansas and Georgia - say the ban unconstitutionally interferes with interstate commerce. They say California’s ban on the sale and production of foie gras restricts the delicacy’s legal production in states that never agreed to the ban and is hurting the businesses of out-of-state farmers. The issue, attorneys for the 13 states agreed in a brief supporting the case, which was brought by Santa Monica, Calif.-based attorney Michael Tenenbaum, “is of exceptional importance to the preservation of state sovereignty.” California Deputy Attorney General Stephanie Zook, who led preparation of the state’s 14-page Supreme Court brief defending the ban, cited evidence that “force-feeding causes ducks’ livers to swell to 10 times their normal size.” Violations of the law are punishable by fines of up to $1,000 per sale per day, though its enforcement has not been strict. “State laws prohibiting the sale of products based on concerns about animal welfare, or simply on a social consensus concerning what is appropriate, are not unusual,” California’s brief says, adding that “several states prohibit the sale of horse meat for human consumption.” But the constitutionality of the foie gras ban is what could trigger the Supreme Court’s attention. Opponents say the law violates the Constitution’s dormant commerce clause, a phrase that refers to a prohibition on states enacting discriminatory barriers against commerce from other states. “California may forbid its own farmers from using an established feeding technique,” Tenenbaum wrote in his petition, “but California cannot then seek to ‘level the playing field’ by depriving out-of state farmers of the competitive advantage they retain.” http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...cmp=latestnews
What a bunch of sissy bullshyt. Nobody cares about duck cruelty. Duck and goose meat taste like crap. Might as well force feed them for their delicious livers. The rest of them are worthless anyways. When God passes judgement on America, I hope Cali gets it first so I can watch it live on CNN.
Old 7/17/14, 09:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good eats tonight! Smoked pork shank with collard greens, boiled potatoes, cornbread, and plenty of iced tea. Doubt any of those barstids in Tehran ate better than I did this evening. USA! USA!
Old 7/17/14, 09:42 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
had a lot of fresh basil tonight so i went to town…

tomato salad-fresh basil, bocconcini, parmesan and balsamic
then chicken-garlic tortellini with a basil marinara sauce and diced fresh basil. delicious.

I admit to burning the gralic toast. forgot about them. they came out BLACK haha. too busy savouring the salad to notice until it was too late.

Name:  cce22336-e59e-482b-904c-9fec40d158c6_zpsc081e8c8.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  185.4 KBName:  4bccf1ab-381d-48e1-ad82-f26def123d25_zps8a126218.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  179.4 KB
Old 7/19/14, 10:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh man, I'm still stuffed! Pulled pork and sliced brisket, German-fried potatoes and cole slaw, and some of the best iced tea I've drunk in ages... two quart canning jars full, as a matter of fact! And the waitress, a real sweetheart GAVE us a big German chocolate brownie to go, just 'cause she liked us. And a couple iced teas for the trip home. I've been to relatives' homes where I wasn't treated as well.

You Indiana guys looking for a nice day trip with a real good meal as a highlight might wanna mosey down to Greensburg (where the tree grows out of the courthouse roof) for real Southern style BBQ at Cecil's Pork 'N More, at the intersection of IN Hwy. 46 and U.S. 421, right downtown. It's about 60-65 miles from me, and the closest GOOD 'cue I know of. I'm kinda particular about BBQ. Anyway, you can Google Cecil's for other opinions. And if you don't like BBQ, Storie's Restaurant on the city square has the best breaded tenderloin I've ever eaten, FWIW.
Old 7/19/14, 10:17 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Still stuffed from lunch. Had a cookout with the family. Chicken, steaks, pork chops, baked beans, a pesto pasta, corn on the cob, tater salad, It was delicious.
Old 7/19/14, 11:08 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by Mickstang
Oh man, I'm still stuffed! Pulled pork and sliced brisket, German-fried potatoes and cole slaw, and some of the best iced tea I've drunk in ages... two quart canning jars full, as a matter of fact! And the waitress, a real sweetheart GAVE us a big German chocolate brownie to go, just 'cause she liked us. And a couple iced teas for the trip home. I've been to relatives' homes where I wasn't treated as well.

You Indiana guys looking for a nice day trip with a real good meal as a highlight might wanna mosey down to Greensburg (where the tree grows out of the courthouse roof) for real Southern style BBQ at Cecil's Pork 'N More, at the intersection of IN Hwy. 46 and U.S. 421, right downtown. It's about 60-65 miles from me, and the closest GOOD 'cue I know of. I'm kinda particular about BBQ. Anyway, you can Google Cecil's for other opinions. And if you don't like BBQ, Storie's Restaurant on the city square has the best breaded tenderloin I've ever eaten, FWIW.

For some reason I can't imagine getting good bbq in Indiana. And I am a true bbq connoisseur.
Old 7/19/14, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
For some reason I can't imagine getting good bbq in Indiana. And I am a true bbq connoisseur.
BBQ will be a life long argument on where the best is. It's not here for sure. It's a comfort food that reminds you of home that won't be found anywhere but near home. From Texas to Tennessee, they all think they are the best. And they all are if you grow up there. Lol
Old 7/20/14, 12:24 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

BBQ will be a life long argument on where the best is. It's not here for sure. It's a comfort food that reminds you of home that won't be found anywhere but near home. From Texas to Tennessee, they all think they are the best. And they all are if you grow up there. Lol
I know what you mean. I've eaten bbq all over the US and none of it compares to the bbq at my buddy's joint. Of course his place isn't just bbq, they open at 6 am and serve breakfast like the old folks used to, real homemade gravy and biscuits, sausage and bacon from local hogs, then meat and 3 at lunch with local grown veggies, then bbq, burgers, steaks, etc. in the evenings 6 days a week.

The place stays packed from opening to closing everyday. And full of cops, that tells you its good stuff when all the local police eat there 3 times a day, cops know where to good food is, lol.
Old 7/20/14, 12:42 AM

I know what you mean. I've eaten bbq all over the US and none of it compares to the bbq at my buddy's joint. Of course his place isn't just bbq, they open at 6 am and serve breakfast like the old folks used to, real homemade gravy and biscuits, sausage and bacon from local hogs, then meat and 3 at lunch with local grown veggies, then bbq, burgers, steaks, etc. in the evenings 6 days a week. The place stays packed from opening to closing everyday. And full of cops, that tells you its good stuff when all the local police eat there 3 times a day, cops know where to good food is, lol.
Yeah they do. In my town you just can't buy a good meal. It's a shame because we have fantastic cooks in just about every household but the restaurants here suck. A neighbor invites you to dinner, you go and it will be great. The great thing is I'm only 40 minutes from Nola so great restaurants are not far away. Kinda forces you to learn how to cook well. In my family, all my uncles are great cooks and my moms cooking can't be beat. The guys around here work like professional chefs perfecting dishes. Jambalaya and gumbo are as intense as BBQ is in other places. Competitions and cook offs all the time.
Old 7/20/14, 01:05 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Yeah they do. In my town you just can't buy a good meal. It's a shame because we have fantastic cooks in just about every household but the restaurants here suck. A neighbor invites you to dinner, you go and it will be great. The great thing is I'm only 40 minutes from Nola so great restaurants are not far away. Kinda forces you to learn how to cook well. In my family, all my uncles are great cooks and my moms cooking can't be beat. The guys around here work like professional chefs perfecting dishes. Jambalaya and gumbo are as intense as BBQ is in other places. Competitions and cook offs all the time.
Dude, bbq here is much different than it is down there on the coast. You're talking to a true bbq guy. I see reviews and hear from people down there when I'm In town about bbq and how good it is. I've been extremely disappointed. And not just disappointed, but shaking my head about it. There is no good bbq down there that I've found.

Like in Mobile, everyone raves about The Brick Pit. I expected some seriously good ****. Its a hole in the wall, you can even BYOB, but the bbq is average at best. The sauce is so generic that its comical, every joint in the state has sauce that is comparable, and it sucks to be honest. Its just typical bbq sauce and the meat isn't even that great as far as smokiness and rub. The bbq I'm used to eating blows that **** out of the water, and people down there think that is great stuff. Dreamland is put up on a pedestal down there and it is literally the most generic bbq I've ever eaten and that is coming from someone that has eaten bbq from coast to coast.
Old 7/20/14, 01:33 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Hey Al,

If you guys ever stay on the panhandle of Fla. (the redneck Riviera where I have a place, lol) around Destin and PCB there is a little hole in the wall, and I mean a hole in the wall joint in PCB that is excellent. Remember back in the day all those t-shirt joints and souvenir shops that were on the Miracle Mile, the "strip" where everyone used to cruise in PCB? Well this little joint is in one of those abandoned strip malls from the 80's. Nothing in that whole building but this little joint. The chef is from NOLA, the menu is heavy in NOLA recipes and some fantastic stuff. The fresh catch menu that they put out on a chalk board every day is amazing, everything I've had there is great. The collard greens, sweet potato fries, and cheese grits along the the other fresh catch NOLA specials are out of this world.

Its some seriously good food, but like I said, its a hole in the wall. Probably only seats about 40-50 people, so there is a huge line in the evenings unless you know people like I do. To give a reference, it blows Felix's out of the water. And its hard to tell much from the online menu, the daily menu on the chalk board is so much more expansive.

Yes, its that ****ing good. Steaks, seafood, etc. Only problem is that they don't have a full bar. Just beer and wine. Booo. (I get drunk at my condo before I get there, lol)

Bit of a wonky website, but you get the gist.

http://www.deeshangout.com/
Old 7/20/14, 01:40 AM

I will check it out for sure if I ever go that far out. Usually we just go to gulf shores and orange beach. Love that town. My next toy is one of those pellet grills so I can do my own. Sure I can do it on a regular grill but I'm lazy. If I'm going to cook a brisket, I don't want to babysit the pit all day. Those pellet grills are just amazing. Set it and walk away for hours.
Old 7/20/14, 01:47 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Oh yea Al,

When I say it looks like a dive from outside, its a dive inside as well. Don't worry about getting the kids dressed up, or you and the ol' lady either. Its a dump inside as well, just worn wooden tables, run down wooden walls, and ****ty little bathrooms, in what is basically a hovel as far as restaurants are concerned. But the food is out of this world, a NOLA level of quality and diversity, in a **** hole on the beach.
Old 7/20/14, 01:59 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I will check it out for sure if I ever go that far out. Usually we just go to gulf shores and orange beach. Love that town. My next toy is one of those pellet grills so I can do my own. Sure I can do it on a regular grill but I'm lazy. If I'm going to cook a brisket, I don't want to babysit the pit all day. Those pellet grills are just amazing. Set it and walk away for hours.
I love Gulf Shores/Orange beach. Had a place there for a long time, now some family lives there. Much more laid back and adult oriented, but the money just didn't roll in there if you're trying to make something. Did some horsetrading with an acquaintance there who had a place on the redneck Rivera where the water is crystal clear and the beach is like sugar, which ups the rental rates, which I need badly. Places down there are a pain in the **** really.
Old 7/20/14, 02:16 AM

I love Gulf Shores/Orange beach. Had a place there for a long time, now some family lives there. Much more laid back and adult oriented, but the money just didn't roll in there if you're trying to make something. Did some horsetrading with an acquaintance there who had a place on the redneck Rivera where the water is crystal clear and the beach is like sugar, which ups the rental rates, which I need badly. Places down there are a pain in the **** really.
I just dig the town. Water could be a little clearer. Thinking about going farther into Florida next trip so I will remember that place. The east coast really let me down. Sand was crap. Water wasn't impressive. All the fresh seafood you could find and nobody there can cook it. I'm sticking to the gulf from now on.
Old 7/20/14, 02:36 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

I just dig the town. Water could be a little clearer. Thinking about going farther into Florida next trip so I will remember that place. The east coast really let me down. Sand was crap. Water wasn't impressive. All the fresh seafood you could find and nobody there can cook it. I'm sticking to the gulf from now on.
Anywhere between Destin and PCB is fantastic. Closer to Destin is going to be more favorable for the ol' lady, shopping, etc. lots of stores there that the women love, I deal with it every time we go to my place, toward PCB is going to be more fun for the boys (especially the older one, hes about 14 now isn't he?) Then the little guy too, go Kart tracks, lots of stuff to wear him out, even the big boy will be worn out after a day, the beaches will sap his energy playing around and looking at the girls. Just a lot more there to do for the boys than they will like. Destin west to Pensacola and over to Gulf Shores it gets nastier as far as beaches and water, and less to do for little guys like yours.
Old 7/20/14, 02:51 AM

Anywhere between Destin and PCB is fantastic. Closer to Destin is going to be more favorable for the ol' lady, shopping, etc. lots of stores there that the women love, I deal with it every time we go to my place, toward PCB is going to be more fun for the boys (especially the older one, hes about 14 now isn't he?) Then the little guy too, go Kart tracks, lots of stuff to wear him out, even the big boy will be worn out after a day, the beaches will sap his energy playing around and looking at the girls. Just a lot more there to do for the boys than they will like. Destin west to Pensacola and over to Gulf Shores it gets nastier as far as beaches and water, and less to do for little guys like yours.
Couldn't get them out the dang ocean last week. They both discovered big waves and boogie boards. They are supposed to be going to orange beach in a week or two with my parents. Kinda sucks that they didn't invite the wife and I too. Lol. Nothing beats the beaches at the islands we went to a few years ago though. Never seen water that clear and blue. Can't wait to go back.
Old 7/20/14, 03:13 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Couldn't get them out the dang ocean last week. They both discovered big waves and boogie boards. They are supposed to be going to orange beach in a week or two with my parents. Kinda sucks that they didn't invite the wife and I too. Lol. Nothing beats the beaches at the islands we went to a few years ago though. Never seen water that clear and blue. Can't wait to go back.

That is crazy, but then again I'm a bit crazy too.You need to get those boys to quit being pussies, I know they are tougher than that. I don't like the Atlantic that much myself. But I am a bit crazy, I get in the Gulf at 2 or 3 AM, LOL. after 15 drinks, lol.
I'll be down there on the redneck riviera through September and over at Gulf Shores and Mobile through October to see my little nephews. You need to get your boys off their **** and keep them from being sissies. Specially that oldest one, that pic you posted of them with Rick Harris, I noticed he was wearing the hipster glasses and it appeared to be skinny jeans.

If so, you need to beat his little **** and talk some sense into him, quit letting his mom have control. Trust me, mom is into the hipster/hollywood movement and is letting your kids follow it.

Don't fall for it!!!!!

Quick Reply: WHATS FOR DINNER?