Southwest Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Fort Worth crew

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/05, 09:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's the big deal? Do ride-alongs put a strain on the officer? Do they get in the way too much? Or do y'all just prefer riding alone? Just curious.
Old 11/29/05, 03:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just heard this news about the FW officer that was shot in the head today.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/13285169.htm

Couldn't help but think of Jimmy and my other local buddies in blue.
Old 11/30/05, 07:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Ya...I heard that on the news yesterday and again this morning.

Freakin' coward...shooting from concealment then running. SWAT shoulda found an excuse to drop him.

My thoughts and prayers with that officer.
Old 11/30/05, 04:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by GhostTX@November 29, 2005, 10:26 AM
What's the big deal? Do ride-alongs put a strain on the officer? Do they get in the way too much? Or do y'all just prefer riding alone? Just curious.
I think it's a little of all the above. The officer is completely responsible for anything you do as well as your safety so it's very stressful. Most officers prefer to be by themselves so they only have to worry about themselves. Some people actually expect us to entertain them like we are their own personal COPS show and get mad when nothing is happening. I personally know of one who expected the officer to buy his dinner and snacks while he was riding in ( He brought no money but, ordered and ate dinner before revealing that fact). The main thing to consider is that this is our job and like most people we get uncomfortable when someone is watching us. We can handle it every now and then as long as it's not abused.

P.S. Thanks for thinking of Ofcr Nava and his family. This is one of those unfortunate reminders of what can happen to us in the blink of an eye.
Old 12/1/05, 07:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Ya...I was a little miffed that Hubbard didn't juggle and hop on one foot for me.

I guess that's true though...you don't need to worry about the character in your car as well as the characters on the street.
Old 12/1/05, 04:29 PM
Team Mustang Source

HAha! I can hop on one foot but, I can't juggle at all.
Old 12/7/05, 09:18 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope you guys aren't out on the road today. There's a lot of ice out there!

In fact I left work early today at 8:30 since I heard it going to be worse later on in the afternoon, and late morning. I stopped at Albertsons to get some extra food in case I couldn't make it to the store for a couple of days. By the time I got home I had a quarter of inch of ice built up along the side of my pony. Not good! :notnice:

It looks like it's a good day to leave your Mustang in the garage......
Old 12/7/05, 02:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Well...mine's in the garage since I'm in Atlanta on business.

All that ice is moving here tomorrow...just prior to my flight departure time! I hope it changes its mind...or comes down after I take off!
Old 12/7/05, 03:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

I will be testing my Mustangs winter weather driving abilities tonight. I kinda have to go to work to help yell at all these non driving, shoulda stayed at home people. People were wrecking out this morning before the ice even got here! I guess they were practicing for the real thing.
Old 12/7/05, 04:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

On another note.....I was thoroughly surprised by the gratitude of the people of Ft Worth last Monday. I have never seen so many people lining the streets and highway for Ofcr Nava's funeral procession. I couldn't believe the number of other Police and Fire Departments there as well. It was a very sad day but, seeing all those people made me feel proud. I know the family definitely appreciated it. So thanks to everyone who has shown support in whatever way you chose.

P.S. According to our helicopter pilot, the line of patrol cars stretched from the cemetery(Greenwood at White Settlement Rd/University)all the way back to the Church near I-30/W Loop 820. My Mom said it took 45 min for the whole thing to pass her.
Old 12/8/05, 06:09 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Treadhead@December 7, 2005, 5:03 PM
P.S. According to our helicopter pilot, the line of patrol cars stretched from the cemetery(Greenwood at White Settlement Rd/University)all the way back to the Church near I-30/W Loop 820. My Mom said it took 45 min for the whole thing to pass her.
Now that is just...wow.
:tex:
Old 12/8/05, 03:17 PM

I hope you made it to work OK. It looked pretty bad out there!

It looks better today, but my drive way is still iced up. Should be better by Monday. Good thing I have lots of vacation time!

I hope you got out of Atlanta OK Ghost. Maybe they'll cancel your flight?

Originally posted by Treadhead@December 7, 2005, 4:42 PM
I will be testing my Mustangs winter weather driving abilities tonight. I kinda have to go to work to help yell at all these non driving, shoulda stayed at home people. People were wrecking out this morning before the ice even got here! I guess they were practicing for the real thing.
Old 12/8/05, 08:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

I made it there and back just fine. Back end slipped out twice but, not even far enough to engage the traction control. Drove about 40-50mph most of the way on the straights and about 30 where it was curvy. It was so much better than my old 91 GT it's not funny.
Old 12/8/05, 08:12 PM

Well, that's good to hear that it handles well in conditions like that. I know my car looked like a popsickle when I got home Wensday. I might have been able to go in late today, or early tomorrow, but I'd just as soon not risk it.....

Originally posted by Treadhead@December 8, 2005, 9:11 PM
I made it there and back just fine. Back end slipped out twice but, not even far enough to engage the traction control. Drove about 40-50mph most of the way on the straights and about 30 where it was curvy. It was so much better than my old 91 GT it's not funny.
Old 12/9/05, 09:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Falchion@December 8, 2005, 4:20 PM
I hope you got out of Atlanta OK Ghost. Maybe they'll cancel your flight?
Just was delayed 1.5 hours for departure. Got home a-ok.
Old 12/9/05, 12:35 PM

Well, that's good. I'm glad to hear that. SW Airlines had one of their planes skid off the runway. At least that didn't happen to you!

Speaking of skiding, my drive way still has a lot of ice on it, and it's pretty steap. So, I was concerned about sliding around when I backed my car out of my garage, or pulling back in.

But, I just got back from the store and didn't have any problems at all!

It looks like the traction control works pretty good!

Originally posted by GhostTX@December 9, 2005, 10:53 AM
Just was delayed 1.5 hours for departure. Got home a-ok.
Old 12/9/05, 08:21 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to work the ice as well, but it wasn't too terrible in my neck of the woods. The worst was mid-day on wednesday. Every bit of elevated roadway got slick, and people were driving on it like it was a sunny August afternoon. There was debris everywhere on the new stretch of 190, and the highway patrol was....'busy'. We got stuck with it. Cold, windy, and we had a squad car and a fire engine get hit before it was all over. Next time, I'm just going to close the city and we will impound every car we find on the road that doesn't have lights on top. Well...if the chief will let me. Heh.

The stang performed admirably on the ice, however. The only times I lost any traction at all, I was testing it. I wouldn't recommend it for long stretches on black ice, but for short trips with patchy traction it seemed fine.

I put my first scratch on it a few weeks ago. I was pulling out of the garage and rubbed the right front wheel opening against the wall. The garage wall paint and texture stayed on, but there is a red smear on the wall. The fenderlip is fine, but the paint looks like it was wiped off. This has to be the softest finish on any car I've ever known. Yeah, "blame Ford's paint"....ok, so I'm the idiot who ran into a very large and completely stationary house...I hate myself. :bang:
Old 12/10/05, 01:52 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Blue Knight@December 9, 2005, 9:24 PM
Next time, I'm just going to close the city and we will impound every car we find on the road that doesn't have lights on top.
ROFLMAO

I would freakin' love that! Partial ban for when it rains, too.
Old 12/10/05, 04:56 PM

Yeah, I should have just stayed home myself on wednesday. I was only in for two hours before I left. What a waste! Better just to stay home.

I'm sure glad I left when I did though. Much longer and I think I might have had problems getting home.

But, my pony is safe and sound........

Originally posted by Blue Knight@December 9, 2005, 9:24 PM
I had to work the ice as well, but it wasn't too terrible in my neck of the woods. The worst was mid-day on wednesday. Every bit of elevated roadway got slick, and people were driving on it like it was a sunny August afternoon. There was debris everywhere on the new stretch of 190, and the highway patrol was....'busy'. We got stuck with it. Cold, windy, and we had a squad car and a fire engine get hit before it was all over. Next time, I'm just going to close the city and we will impound every car we find on the road that doesn't have lights on top. Well...if the chief will let me. Heh.

The stang performed admirably on the ice, however. The only times I lost any traction at all, I was testing it. I wouldn't recommend it for long stretches on black ice, but for short trips with patchy traction it seemed fine.

I put my first scratch on it a few weeks ago. I was pulling out of the garage and rubbed the right front wheel opening against the wall. The garage wall paint and texture stayed on, but there is a red smear on the wall. The fenderlip is fine, but the paint looks like it was wiped off. This has to be the softest finish on any car I've ever known. Yeah, "blame Ford's paint"....ok, so I'm the idiot who ran into a very large and completely stationary house...I hate myself. :bang:
Old 12/11/05, 01:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

Yea, it would be nice to have the power to close down the city streets! Too many non driving idiots out there who don't understand the concept of slowing down when it's slick out.
I'm glad you made it back safely Ghost and didn't have to sleep on the floor of the airport!
Falchion- Do you have traction control and are those BFG KDWS tires all season?

Blue Knight- Sorry to hear about your car. Hopefully it won't take too much to fix it up. I lucked out on the ice night at work and didn't have to work any wrecks. I probably woulda got complained on anyway for telling someone what I thought about them out driving in the ice. :ranting:

Quick Reply: Fort Worth crew