05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

2005 GT updating to 2012 seats ..just need a set of eyes

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/22, 05:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 GT updating to 2012 seats ..just need a set of eyes

found some very clean powered/heated/airbagged seats from a 2012 . my 05 had power driver seat and that was it.

I know harness are different. I have the diagram for 2005 and a 2011 (thats what I could pull up from search)

It looks as if I connect the wires from old harness to the corresponding wires on the new seat (minus the harness plug) I should be able to get all the motors working. I dont care about the heat . airbags I didnt have in my old seats either.

here is what I wrote down after looking at both diagrams.

Old 9/20/22, 06:05 PM
The Analog Admin!

Received 2,959 Likes on 2,174 Posts
Hello,

These Maybe Helpful to Others as Well as Yourself if I have Some Info you Did not Have. Be Advised I would Remove Airbags or at the Very Least Unplug them at Module. Would Hate to Have the Go Off. Note on 2006 Wiring which I use because it is a Better Diagram Than 05 But I believe the Same Wiring. I have an Old Topic as well With an 05 to 07 Seat track Change. Also Pay note to Resistor in 2006 Pdf 4 that is what tells Airbag Light to Stay Off with Non Air bag Seats. C3109 I hope this Helps! A Bit Fuzzy on this Topic as Original Post on My Old Topic was 2008.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-05-up-471550/

Sent an Email to another Member Who May Have Some Advice For you!

To Be Clear Did you Put 2012 Seat on Drivers Side Using Old Track? Or Are you Wanting to Put 2012 Seat on Drivers Side Using 2012 Track?

Are you Also Wanting to Add Power Seat Track on Passenger Side ?

Did Seats Come With The 2012 Seat Sub Harness Wiring??

KC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2006seatwiringx.pdf (59.6 KB, 17 views)
2006seatwiring1x.pdf (146.7 KB, 18 views)
2006seatwiring2x.pdf (47.7 KB, 18 views)
2006seatwiring3x.pdf (122.9 KB, 21 views)
2006seatwiring4x.pdf (268.8 KB, 18 views)
2006seatwiring5x.pdf (122.8 KB, 16 views)
2012seatwiringx.pdf (96.1 KB, 22 views)
2012seatwiring1x.pdf (66.0 KB, 21 views)
2012seatwiring2x.pdf (101.0 KB, 20 views)
2012seatwiring3x.pdf (158.8 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/21/22 at 07:04 AM.
Old 9/21/22, 04:30 AM

where do I unplug the air bag module? didnt see it on the diagrams. I need to do this for both.

the 2012 seat is currently bolted in with its original track and wiring for power but NOT powered up. I was thinking of taking the track off the old seat and putting it on the newer seat of course id like to power it if possible. I just bolted it in so I could use seat and see how it looked.

seats are nice. hate to not use them. drove few hours to get them and I like them. just need to look at the diagrams and figure that out.

Last edited by gentlejax; 9/21/22 at 04:47 AM.
Old 9/21/22, 06:48 AM
The Analog Admin!

Originally Posted by gentlejax
where do I unplug the air bag module? didnt see it on the diagrams. I need to do this for both.

the 2012 seat is currently bolted in with its original track and wiring for power but NOT powered up. I was thinking of taking the track off the old seat and putting it on the newer seat of course id like to power it if possible. I just bolted it in so I could use seat and see how it looked.

seats are nice. hate to not use them. drove few hours to get them and I like them. just need to look at the diagrams and figure that out.
The Wiring will Be Coming Out of Backrest. Just Need To Make Sure you Don't Try to Put Power to. I was Thinking there was an Internal Plug as Well! I would Duct Tape End and Tuck Up in Backrest if you are Not Going to Remove. If Removed you would Have to Put Make Shift. Padding Back in.

I would Advise If Possible Using Old Track on Drivers Side. On Passenger Side a Trip to a Local Pick Apart & Cut Out Needed Wiring and or Pigtails From 2012 Era Car For Passenger Side. I remember Back in the Day we did some Add on Passenger Powered Seats For the 05-09's. But I'm Foggy as to Exactly How. I think Some Tied into Drivers Side and Others Ran Stand alone Wiring. Does You Car Have 05 Passenger Power Wiring ??? It's Been a Long Time and I was out of the Loop for About Ten Years Here at TMS and only Recently Returned. I did Email a Fellow Member who I believe Did an Add on More Recently and Hopefully he will reply. I think These Pdf's May Help as Well!

Remember as Well the Regular Airbags are Tied into The OCS Seat Sensors That's a Biggie! to Mind!

Attached Files
2012Mustangseat.pdf (804.5 KB, 25 views)
2012Mustangseat1x.pdf (384.1 KB, 19 views)
2012MustangSrs1x.pdf (124.3 KB, 19 views)
2012MustangSrs2x.pdf (81.0 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/21/22 at 07:23 AM.
Old 9/21/22, 09:15 AM

So the easiest way you are saying would be to remove the seat tracks off the 05 and put on the 2012?

the ocs and the seat track swap, it sounds like that is the recomendation. Do the motors swap ? Cause well .. the 2012 motors are newer.

i can do without power to driver seat.

i was just going to chop off the 2012 plug and splice on 2005 plug after i figured out the color of the wires.
Old 9/21/22, 12:19 PM
The Analog Admin!

I'm Trying to get a Complete Picture using Wiring Diagrams and No Physical Parts in front of me and it's Tough to Choose the Best Advice. Let Me Ask you Why the Change? Is your Original Upholstory Shot Or Is It the Upgrade to Power Passenger Seat or Styling? Asking to Help Develop Best & Easiest Course of Action.

KC
Old 9/21/22, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
I'm Trying to get a Complete Picture using Wiring Diagrams and No Physical Parts in front of me and it's Tough to Choose the Best Advice. Let Me Ask you Why the Change? Is your Original Upholstory Shot Or Is It the Upgrade to Power Passenger Seat or Styling? Asking to Help Develop Best & Easiest Course of Action.

KC

i appreciate all the help you can give !

the seats in my 05 are still good except maybe the lumbar on the driver side. The seats themselves dont feel very supportive

the newer seats look better, feel better and offer more support.

im just wanting the same functionality as i had but better seat.

original seats were power driver / manual passenger.

no airbags no heat.
Old 9/21/22, 02:02 PM
The Analog Admin!

i appreciate all the help you can give !

the seats in my 05 are still good except maybe the lumbar on the driver side. The seats themselves dont feel very supportive

the newer seats look better, feel better and offer more support.

im just wanting the same functionality as i had but better seat.

original seats were power driver / manual passenger.

no airbags no heat.
Ok Well if That is All. Why Not See if you can Simply Change the Seat Covers From One to Another. I'm Thinking they Will Fit But Not 100% Sure. Since I'm Not There With Them Staring at Me.

You Could Remove all the Extra Goodies and Sell on Ebay Such as Heaters & Air Bags. I'm Thinking Most of your Support is Likely in the Bottoms. You Would Have to Reuse The Top 06 Foam Unless you Got Some Foam to Replace Where Air Bags Were. That means a Lot Less Wire Cutting!

The Lumbar Unit Could Be Exchanged at that Time it Should Interchange Maybe a Plug Difference?. Just a Thought If you Do not Want to Try That Or Don't Think they will Interchange. We Will Move Forward with Next Option. Take a Look at the Shop Manual Pdf'S.

Now That I Look At the Pdf's I'M Thinking Simply Bolting the 2012 Seats to Your Old Tracks and Changing Either the Pigtails or the Parts From the 05 Seats Such as Ocs or Seat Track Sensors To the 12 Seats Would Be Easier. Anyway It's a Different Way to Look at the Conversion.

The Exploded View Kinda Puts it In Your Face. A lot it Depends on How Much Time you Want to Put into It! After you Eliminate All the Stuff You Are Not Going to Use it Should Look Less Daunting! First Thing I would Do is Figure Out What You are Not Using and Remove or Tape & Ziptie Up If you are Going to leave in Seats.

Did Not Mean to Overcomplicate your Original Request but after 30+ Years in Ford Parts The Mind Thinks about Every Scenario!

Back in the Day this Retrofit Stuff Was my Thing. These Days With my Health The Mind Does Not Work as Well and I have not been so Involved in this Kind of Stuff For The Last 10+ Years Just getting My Sealegs Back. Also I no Longer Have Oem Ford Parts Catalog Access to Ford Like I used to! So Working with a Hand Behind the Back Compared to Back in the Day!

Those are Some Sharp Seats Btw! We Will get it Figured Out.

Update,
Did Some More Digging and Finding Some Changes in Early and Late Production 05's. A late Production Car May Actually Be Plug and Play on the Drivers Side. What I'm Saying is the 05 Harness off the Seat Track May Go Right On your 2012 Seat Track. Of Course it Would Only Hook to the Equipment your Original Seat Had. Or It May Not. The Components May have Different Plugs. So the Other Things Simply Would Have No Place to Hook Up To But You Don't Want That stuff Anyway. If I Had OEM Parts Catalog & a Vin I would be more Precise. I'm Having to Use Factory Shop Manual and Aftermarket Parts Catalog. So Something to Look At If you Wanted to Use 2012 Track on Drivers Side! BTW What is Your Production Date??

Look At The Year Spread on the Drivers Seat Track.
https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...6361711-a.html

2005 All By it's Lonesome and Discontinued.
https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...361711-aa.html

Oh Those 2012 Seat Tracks are SPENDY Good Item to sell!
https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...1704,%3C61711A

REALIZE I DO POST INFO THAT MAY NOT PERTAIN TO YOUR 05 BUT I ALSO POST WHAT MAY HELP SOMEONE ELSE DOWN THE LINE. ALSO NOTE AGAIN THIS PARTS CATALOGING IS NOT OEM FORD. IF YOU GET INTO WIRING COMPARE 05 Wiring Diagram You Have to My 06 Listed to Be Sure.

If you Send Me Your VIN to clevparts@aol.com I maybe Able to Determine if you Have Early or Late Style Track.

LMK,

KC
Attached Files
2012MustangSeatExplodeX.pdf (804.5 KB, 23 views)
2006mustangseatexplode.pdf (448.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/21/22 at 04:51 PM.
Old 9/21/22, 07:19 PM

Now That I Look At the Pdf's I'M Thinking Simply Bolting the 2012 Seats to Your Old Tracks and Changing Either the Pigtails or the Parts From the 05 Seats Such as Ocs or Seat Track Sensors To the 12 Seats Would Be Easier. Anyway It's a Different Way to Look at the Conversion.

The Exploded View Kinda Puts it In Your Face. A lot it Depends on How Much Time you Want to Put into It! After you Eliminate All the Stuff You Are Not Going to Use it Should Look Less Daunting! First Thing I would Do is Figure Out What You are Not Using and Remove or Tape & Ziptie Up If you are Going to leave in Seats.

Those are Some Sharp Seats Btw! We Will get it Figured Out.

If you Send Me Your VIN to clevparts@aol.com I maybe Able to Determine if you Have Early or Late Style Track.

LMK,

KC

you are a lifesaver ! I know you will help me to solve this. I selected part of your last post because changing pigtails was what I was thinking. only splicing the wires needed to the pigtail off the 05 seat. I havnt taken the DRIVER seat out yet to compare. didnt have time. I drove 8hrs round trip yesterday to get these seats even though I thought they might not swap easily. I did see a video of some dude who did the same swap and he spliced some wires but did not get into details. if he did it I think I can too. im not great at diagrams but I am not scared.

ill send the vin to your email !

if this works out I owe you but also I think it will help some others out in the future. got to be a lot of worn out 2005-2009 seats
Old 9/21/22, 08:42 PM
The Analog Admin!

you are a lifesaver ! I know you will help me to solve this. I selected part of your last post because changing pigtails was what I was thinking. only splicing the wires needed to the pigtail off the 05 seat. I havnt taken the DRIVER seat out yet to compare. didnt have time. I drove 8hrs round trip yesterday to get these seats even though I thought they might not swap easily. I did see a video of some dude who did the same swap and he spliced some wires but did not get into details. if he did it I think I can too. im not great at diagrams but I am not scared.

ill send the vin to your email !

if this works out I owe you but also I think it will help some others out in the future. got to be a lot of worn out 2005-2009 seats
You Are Welcome! I thought I might have gone a bit Overboard but Everybody Does Things a Little Different. I just want to facilitate in a way it's Helpful to you and Later Others! I got 18 Year old Posts that still get Read! Almost All are for 05-09's~

Kc

Old 9/21/22, 09:27 PM
The Analog Admin!

Alright My Friend,

Your Car Per Vin is Very Early Production So I would Look at your 05 Wiring if Needed to Be Safe. The Problem with the Diagrams and I had Same Issue Back in the Day is Ford Changed the Catalog Format in 06 to an Interactive Style. The 05 and Prior is Pale in Comparison as Far as Format and Ease of Finding Pigtails & Connector Views as It Were! They are Harder to Follow!
As Per Email your are on the{ Right Track } If you need Me To Dig anymore 05 Info Just Let Me Know!

I don't Know what you paid for those Seats But I bet Selling the Leftovers you are going to come out on top! And that is Hot Rodding at its Best! Upgrade & Get Paid!

Best Regards,

KC

Attached Files
2005MustangPowerSeat.pdf (21.9 KB, 26 views)
2005MustangLumbar.pdf (16.2 KB, 16 views)
2005MustangSeatPlugDriver.pdf (125.9 KB, 17 views)
2005MustangC300Seat.PDF (19.6 KB, 21 views)
2005MustangPassengerSeat.pdf (53.7 KB, 16 views)
2005MustangPassenger Seat1.pdf (49.4 KB, 16 views)
2005MustangDriverSeat.pdf (1.10 MB, 15 views)
2005MustangC311DriverSeat.pdf (17.2 KB, 17 views)
2005 MustangSEAT1.pdf (622.3 KB, 30 views)
2005 MustangSeat2.pdf (197.3 KB, 18 views)
2005 MustangSeat3.pdf (226.0 KB, 16 views)
2005 MustangSeat4.pdf (771.5 KB, 18 views)
2005 MustangSeat5.pdf (771.6 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/22/22 at 11:46 AM.
Old 9/22/22, 04:57 AM

Thanks again!

So is the wiring the same on the o5 and 06 as far as colors ? I dont think I have found anything on the 05 stuff...just 06 . Guess I need to find the 05 diagrams to see.

I am also going to look at puting the 05 tracks on the 2012 seats if needed although that seems like lots more work in one way versus splicing 12 wires or so.

this is going to happen its just not as simple as it should be. I know its been done but far in between. the new seats are so much nicer than the old. its just going to take time to verify . I might actually run power from the driver seat to the passenger seat once this is figured out so I dont have to break down the original seats ....cause yes I was planning on selling them to someone who needs good seats

I was just watching a video and well I guess I could also swap the skins like you said but im afraid id break some tabs or clips and it wouldnt come out the way it is originally.. wonder If I can pay a shop to do it ? Problem is we are talking about 2 seats swapping skins and by the time that is done will they survive? I have no idea.

this is giving me some anxiety lol...

Last edited by gentlejax; 9/22/22 at 05:19 AM. Reason: added comment
Old 9/22/22, 08:27 AM

Im now wondering …

due to wires and sensors it might be easier to swap the skins off the new seat to the old seat and vice versa.

might even make money by selling the 2012 frames seperate and the 2005 skins to someone separate.

i know the motorized frames are kind of high on ebay.

it would simplify all the questions by swapping skins.

i dont know if its doable or if i just transfer the foam and skin to old frame.
Old 9/22/22, 11:53 AM
The Analog Admin!

Hello,

I put 2005 Pdf's in Post 11 For Reference. {Maybe Some Duplication}. If you Need Them Get a Lot of Paper and Print Away Relax Take Your Time! I don't Believe Cover Replacement in Itself is too Hard But We are Not Dealing With Like to Like. May Fit May Not Start on your Old Passenger Seat. Least Complex and Since they are Coming Out. No Pressure! First thing Put Side By Side & Look At Them Closely From Every Angle.

Print Out Needed Pdf's Organize & Study!

If you Get the 2005 and 2012 Drivers Seat track Bare and in a Position to Really See the Difference Some Good Pics Would Be Nice so Others Know What the Heck is Different!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/22/22 at 12:54 PM.
Old 9/22/22, 01:16 PM

Hello,

I put 2005 Pdf's in Post 11 For Reference. {Maybe Some Duplication}. If you Need Them Get a Lot of Paper and Print Away Relax Take Your Time! I don't Believe Cover Replacement in Itself is too Hard But We are Not Dealing With Like to Like. May Fit May Not Start on your Old Passenger Seat. Least Complex and Since they are Coming Out. No Pressure! First thing Put Side By Side & Look At Them Closely From Every Angle.

Print Out Needed Pdf's Organize & Study!

If you Get the 2005 and 2012 Drivers Seat track Bare and in a Position to Really See the Difference Some Good Pics Would Be Nice so Others Know What the Heck is Different!

KC

the easiest to me would be sitting the 2012 seat on table and soldering the dozen or less wires ill be needing and being done.

sorry. I havnt had lots of sit down time on computer to see you gave me 2005 pdf. Ive looked at so many and printed quite a few.

im not in hurry thankfully. I have to work this weekend so its delayed. Anyhow
Old 9/22/22, 01:26 PM
The Analog Admin!

the easiest to me would be sitting the 2012 seat on table and soldering the dozen or less wires ill be needing and being done.

sorry. I havnt had lots of sit down time on computer to see you gave me 2005 pdf. Ive looked at so many and printed quite a few.

im not in hurry thankfully. I have to work this weekend so its delayed. Anyhow
I merely make Suggestions. Your Plan of Attack is All yours. The Pdf's can be Used by Future Projects of Other Users so it's All Good! Consider on the Passenger Side if you want to go 2012 Power Track a Hybrid of the 05 Seat Harness for Everything Except Power Function. Then You will only Need a Small Sub Harness to Provide Power for Seat Motor. Just Another Option Depending on How Much of the 05 Harness Would Plug into 2012 Track.

Happy Trails!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 9/22/22 at 01:27 PM.
Old 1/14/24, 03:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
@gentlejax what did you end up doing? 2005 owner here - messed around with mine to get a 2008 power seat into the passenger side (not available in 2005!).
Old 1/14/24, 03:48 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,168 Likes on 1,745 Posts
@mrkabc Hopefully you'll receive a reply from gentlejax sometime soon... However, after checking his last activity status, he was last active over a year ago on 12-5-22.
Old 1/14/24, 06:06 PM
The Analog Admin!

@mrkabc

I Just Updated This old Thread With a Bunch of Pdf's!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...2009-a-471550/

You Been Chasing This One a Long Time!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ispreloading=1

Seems To Me I Got a Couple of Seat Tracks Rat Holed Somewhere! Likely in One of My 3 40 Ft Sea Trains! Aye Carumba!

I think a Conference Call is in order on a Request So Far Back! I Feel Guilty you Never Gotter Done!

P.m. Me If You Want to Chat with a Phone Number!

Kc

Last edited by 05stangkc; 1/14/24 at 06:40 PM.
Old 1/19/24, 07:43 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts

Last edited by VGMStudios; 1/19/24 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 2005 GT updating to 2012 seats ..just need a set of eyes