Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
18.18%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/14, 12:38 PM
Houston xBox Players
Club President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boss 1409
Thanks, I'm sure it will be. Get to see some old friends and family as well.
Are y'all just going to gamble or sightsee?

I've always wanted to go I just hate losing money hahaha
Old 8/22/14, 12:43 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts
" y`all " .... the texas state werd .... hA!!!
Old 8/22/14, 01:51 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Sup man? Where ya been?
Around, dealing with a lot right now so not really social i guess.
Old 8/22/14, 02:03 PM
Houston xBox Players
Club President

Originally Posted by HOSS429
" y`all " .... the texas state werd .... hA!!!
Aaaannnnndddd? Your point sir?
Old 8/22/14, 07:40 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,664 Posts
Thought of you today Stef! I was leaving Ocean City Maryland and they were having Jeeps on the beach weekend! There were Jeeps everywhere just thousands of them! :-)
Old 8/22/14, 08:03 PM
Houston xBox Players
Club President

Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Thought of you today Stef! I was leaving Ocean City Maryland and they were having Jeeps on the beach weekend! There were Jeeps everywhere just thousands of them! :-)
AWWW man that sounds like fun!!
Old 8/22/14, 08:33 PM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NinjaSteffers
Are y'all just going to gamble or sightsee? I've always wanted to go I just hate losing money hahaha
A little of both. Hopefully see some friends and family too.
Old 8/22/14, 11:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Scothew
Around, dealing with a lot right now so not really social i guess.
Be well in your dealings Scothew.

Last edited by GrnT; 8/22/14 at 11:09 PM.
Old 8/22/14, 11:19 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
I'm kind of in a conundrum. I'd like to have a newer Explorer since I've been driving them for 20 years, but I'm not going to give $50K for a new one because I'm a cheap bastard, I'll drive it in the woods, and I'm not a big baller like Gary and Nathan's parents.

However, I have come across one that meets much of my criteria, even though I wasn't really ready to buy one. A 2012 Limited, 4WD, 30K miles, one owner, bought new from a local dealer that I've dealt with before, 302a package, nav, heated and cooled seats, BLIS, Adaptive cruise control, HIDs, power fold rear seats, dual panel moon roof, towing package, basically loaded with every option. MSRP was $48K and its an excellent color combo.

I think I can get it for $29K but I haven't looked it over really well. Not sure what I want to do, hell, I wasn't even ready to buy one just yet, but this one hit all the marks that are important to me (local car, one owner, etc.)

Any opinions? I think I might go take a drive and better look at it next week.
Old 8/23/14, 01:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
I'm kind of in a conundrum. I'd like to have a newer Explorer since I've been driving them for 20 years, but I'm not going to give $50K for a new one because I'm a cheap bastard, I'll drive it in the woods, and I'm not a big baller like Gary and Nathan's parents. However, I have come across one that meets much of my criteria, even though I wasn't really ready to buy one. A 2012 Limited, 4WD, 30K miles, one owner, bought new from a local dealer that I've dealt with before, 302a package, nav, heated and cooled seats, BLIS, Adaptive cruise control, HIDs, power fold rear seats, dual panel moon roof, towing package, basically loaded with every option. MSRP was $48K and its an excellent color combo. I think I can get it for $29K but I haven't looked it over really well. Not sure what I want to do, hell, I wasn't even ready to buy one just yet, but this one hit all the marks that are important to me (local car, one owner, etc.) Any opinions? I think I might go take a drive and better look at it next week.
I do not care for the new Explorer body style. Brian's salesguy, Tom, picked my dad and I up from the airport in one. It was a Limited (no EgoBoost), but it rode like the fat pig it is. I'd rather have an Expedition. Or 2010 Explorer with a 4.6 3v...
Old 8/23/14, 02:11 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by laserred38
I do not care for the new Explorer body style. Brian's salesguy, Tom, picked my dad and I up from the airport in one. It was a Limited (no EgoBoost), but it rode like the fat pig it is. I'd rather have an Expedition. Or 2010 Explorer with a 4.6 3v...
Expedition is a gas guzzling monstrosity that is much too large for my small family, a 2010 or earlier style Explorer with a 4.6 and 4WD is like a white buffalo, impossible to find and if you do its loaded with miles and owners and is really old by this point.

I have to admit, I do love the new Explorer bodystyle, but I don't like the fact that it is a FWD based vehicle. The true 4wd with low range is one of the things I have liked about my older ones. However, my most recent 4wd one with the 4.0 ohc has cost me dearly but I got a lot of service out of it. It has been all over the US, up and down every mountain in the lower 48 along with Death Valley and deserts. Yes, I got it for a decent price. (bought it in 2006 for $7K with 80K miles on it). But I held on to it and definitely got my money's worth out of it. Drove it until 220K miles (many of it off road on forest service roads in Appalachia) when the cam guides started falling apart. And I spent 5 grand on a new Jasper engine with a warranty for it. Its close to 280K now and still kicking on the original trans, diff, etc. and still looks really good when cleaned up.
Old 8/23/14, 02:42 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I like the new body style, but I drove one when they first came out and really didn't like it.

My Cherokee is FWD, but then again I've got something like five 4WD modes and the low ranges.
Old 8/23/14, 03:08 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by denlem
I like the new body style, but I drove one when they first came out and really didn't like it.

My Cherokee is FWD, but then again I've got something like five 4WD modes and the low ranges.

Yeah, but you don't actually have a "low range" anything. That thing is front wheel drive with some to the back when it needs it. I might be wrong, but there is no way that thing has a hi and low range transfer case like a true 4 wd does. Just like the new Explorer, its not a "real" 4WD, its a front wheel drive with a little shaft to the back that will spin the rear wheels if it has to.

To call what these modern SUVs have 4WD is a bit of a misnomer. I shudder at calling these things a 4WD. Its a modified AWD at best. It irritates me that Ford calls the Explorer 4WD, its not. At best its an AWD, definitely not a 4WD.
Old 8/23/14, 07:09 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Lee - 200,000 personal miles on a vehicle you paid $7000 for (plus the Jasper engine)? Yes, I would say you got your money out of it.
Old 8/23/14, 08:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Expedition is a gas guzzling monstrosity that is much too large for my small family, a 2010 or earlier style Explorer with a 4.6 and 4WD is like a white buffalo, impossible to find and if you do its loaded with miles and owners and is really old by this point. I have to admit, I do love the new Explorer bodystyle, but I don't like the fact that it is a FWD based vehicle. The true 4wd with low range is one of the things I have liked about my older ones. However, my most recent 4wd one with the 4.0 ohc has cost me dearly but I got a lot of service out of it. It has been all over the US, up and down every mountain in the lower 48 along with Death Valley and deserts. Yes, I got it for a decent price. (bought it in 2006 for $7K with 80K miles on it). But I held on to it and definitely got my money's worth out of it. Drove it until 220K miles (many of it off road on forest service roads in Appalachia) when the cam guides started falling apart. And I spent 5 grand on a new Jasper engine with a warranty for it. Its close to 280K now and still kicking on the original trans, diff, etc. and still looks really good when cleaned up.
I hear ya on the first part. Have you driven a 2011+? Granted, I didn't drive it, but just riding in it as a passenger - it was very disappointing. I thought that dammn thing was going to roll over on the freeway onramp.

You're also right about the 4wd thing. My Escape is the same way. That said, I've taken that thing on some trails and dunes...a) that I shouldn't have, because it had NO business being in those places lol and b) it more than handled its own. I was quite surprised at the capability, even at stock ride height and +0.5 size tires (245/70/16 vs 235/70 stock). It also has zero hp, give or take a few.

What kind of offroading would you be doing? I can attest to a 7 year older Ford trucklette doing just fine on some gnarly down hill trails, with huge ruts allowing the car to balance on two wheels (front right and left rear) and it still kept going. I'd imagine that the newer Explorer would have much greater capabilities than my Escape.

I just can't get past the fact that it feels like a fat pig inside, and the ride/body roll makes that notion even worse. Go drive it and see if you like it. I'd rather spend the extra money on gas and have a real truck based SUV.

My unicorn is a 4WD 2010 Explorer Sport Trac V8. Those are SO hard to find around here. I don't want the 4.0 SOHC. I want a 3v. And I want to supercharge it. I don't haul anything bigger than that bed, but I want the interior space of the Explorer versus my Escape.
Old 8/23/14, 12:09 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by laserred38
I hear ya on the first part. Have you driven a 2011+? Granted, I didn't drive it, but just riding in it as a passenger - it was very disappointing. I thought that dammn thing was going to roll over on the freeway onramp.

You're also right about the 4wd thing. My Escape is the same way. That said, I've taken that thing on some trails and dunes...a) that I shouldn't have, because it had NO business being in those places lol and b) it more than handled its own. I was quite surprised at the capability, even at stock ride height and +0.5 size tires (245/70/16 vs 235/70 stock). It also has zero hp, give or take a few.

What kind of offroading would you be doing? I can attest to a 7 year older Ford trucklette doing just fine on some gnarly down hill trails, with huge ruts allowing the car to balance on two wheels (front right and left rear) and it still kept going. I'd imagine that the newer Explorer would have much greater capabilities than my Escape.

I just can't get past the fact that it feels like a fat pig inside, and the ride/body roll makes that notion even worse. Go drive it and see if you like it. I'd rather spend the extra money on gas and have a real truck based SUV.

My unicorn is a 4WD 2010 Explorer Sport Trac V8. Those are SO hard to find around here. I don't want the 4.0 SOHC. I want a 3v. And I want to supercharge it. I don't haul anything bigger than that bed, but I want the interior space of the Explorer versus my Escape.
I haven't driven a new one, but I need to to see if I like it. I really don't care about care about handling, body roll, sporty feeling etc. in these daily drivers, I've got a car for that. I just want them to ride well, be comfortable for long drives and have plenty of room to put **** when we travel.

A 2010 3v 4wd with leather, low miles and one or two owners from the south would be ideal, but its impossible to find.

I like those sport tracs too (just not for me and what I need a vehicle for). An acquaintance of mine that lives nearby has a red 2010 3V Adrenalin and that thing is sharp. It would be cool as hell with a blower on it.
Old 8/23/14, 12:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I haven't driven a new one, but I need to to see if I like it. I really don't care about care about handling, body roll, sporty feeling etc. in these daily drivers, I've got a car for that. I just want them to ride well, be comfortable for long drives and have plenty of room to put **** when we travel. A 2010 3v 4wd with leather, low miles and one or two owners from the south would be ideal, but its impossible to find. I like those sport tracs too (just not for me and what I need a vehicle for). An acquaintance of mine that lives nearby has a red 2010 3V Adrenalin and that thing is sharp. It would be cool as hell with a blower on it.
Like I said, I can't judge since I didn't drive it, only rode in it, but even for a daily, it felt so clumsy on the freeway. Different cars, but my 10 year old Escape still rides decently firm, and *almost* handles like a little sport wagon. I love the ride and handling on my Escape. I couldn't give that up.

Drive that Explorer and let us know! It's too big for my small family now, but that could always change. I'm also not a fan of the new Escape. It's so girly looking, and the interior feels cheap. Not to mention all the problems they've had with them.

I'm semi-interested in the new Edge. By the time it comes out, I should have my car paid down a LOT, and it'll be time for a new family car.
Old 8/23/14, 12:29 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm kind of in a conundrum. I'd like to have a newer Explorer since I've been driving them for 20 years, but I'm not going to give $50K for a new one because I'm a cheap bastard, I'll drive it in the woods, and I'm not a big baller like Gary and Nathan's parents.

However, I have come across one that meets much of my criteria, even though I wasn't really ready to buy one. A 2012 Limited, 4WD, 30K miles, one owner, bought new from a local dealer that I've dealt with before, 302a package, nav, heated and cooled seats, BLIS, Adaptive cruise control, HIDs, power fold rear seats, dual panel moon roof, towing package, basically loaded with every option. MSRP was $48K and its an excellent color combo.

I think I can get it for $29K but I haven't looked it over really well. Not sure what I want to do, hell, I wasn't even ready to buy one just yet, but this one hit all the marks that are important to me (local car, one owner, etc.)

Any opinions? I think I might go take a drive and better look at it next week.
Go check out the sport. Most of the ones around here are listed for around $45k. Never drove a regular one, but I love the way this one handles and lots of power. If I were rich, it would be my DD.
Old 8/23/14, 12:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Go check out the sport. Most of the ones around here are listed for around $45k. Never drove a regular one, but I love the way this one handles and lots of power. When I am rich, it will be my DD.
Fixed that last line. Positive thinking!
Old 8/23/14, 12:38 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I haven't driven a new one, but I need to to see if I like it. I really don't care about care about handling, body roll, sporty feeling etc. in these daily drivers, I've got a car for that. I just want them to ride well, be comfortable for long drives and have plenty of room to put **** when we travel.

A 2010 3v 4wd with leather, low miles and one or two owners from the south would be ideal, but its impossible to find.

I like those sport tracs too (just not for me and what I need a vehicle for). An acquaintance of mine that lives nearby has a red 2010 3V Adrenalin and that thing is sharp. It would be cool as hell with a blower on it.
I think it was Blow By Racing that did just this. They had an adrenalin sport trac with a blower.

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast