Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
18.18%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/14, 02:38 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Depends on where you go. Every dealer around here is how you describe. That's why I went to Brian's dealership.
Must be nice, I don't know any that are that way these days around here or in this whole part of the state, and I've bought 3 new Mustangs in the last few years. I pay cash for cars, I don't want to haggle and dicker around and come to a number I "can afford a month". I don't want to "afford" anything a month, only way I'm going to finance a car is if they have a Zero or 0.9% interest rate (or something similar) where I'm not paying interest or its so low that I can make more money off of the money leaving it somewhere else. Otherwise I'd rather pay cash and be done with it.
Old 8/24/14, 03:09 AM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Must be nice, I don't know any that are that way these days around here or in this whole part of the state, and I've bought 3 new Mustangs in the last few years. I pay cash for cars, I don't want to haggle and dicker around and come to a number I "can afford a month". I don't want to "afford" anything a month, only way I'm going to finance a car is if they have a Zero or 0.9% interest rate (or something similar) where I'm not paying interest or its so low that I can make more money off of the money leaving it somewhere else. Otherwise I'd rather pay cash and be done with it.
Its amazing how people are judged based on looks. When I bought the 500 I was a bit discouraged about how people look at other folks. I mean I drove in there in an SGT with low mileage (9K never driven in the rain) and came from 100 miles away up North in the mountains.

It was late in the evening by the time we got down to business on the 500 and figured out what they would give me for the SGT. By that time the bank was closed and I was ready to go home in the 500, but no, they were hard assed about it. We had finally agreed on a dollar amount for the difference of the SGT and the 500 after a lot of fighting back and forth, so I thought I would just write them a check and drive off.

Wrong. Apparently they thought I was not worthy. I do admit though, I was wearing shorts, a ratty t-shirt and a ratty John Force Racing cap (I went there just to look around). They were not amused with me writing them a check for a GT500, so they made me fill out a bunch of forms and ran a credit check on me which dinged my credit report. However, when the sales manager finally came back he was a bit slack jawed and a hell of a lot nicer than anyone had been during the whole process and proceeded to tell me that I had the highest credit score of anyone that he had ever ran in the 10 years he had been selling cars and that they would be fine with taking a personal check for the 500 and he apologized for any inconvenience and delay.

Moral of the story, you cant judge a book by its cover, and don't try to buy an expensive car if you're dressed like a broke down hillbilly, at least try to look like you have 2 nickles to rub together, act like you have some sense, and speak like you are halfway intelligent instead of talking like a redneck (which is hard to do if you're like me, hahaha) lol.
Old 8/24/14, 04:18 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by phiggs54
Wow Charlie! You look like you are going to through hike the PCT without any resupply. I realize that was long before freeze dry meals and ultra light gear.

That was in your vacinity... leaving base camp after climbing 13k Mt. Copeland just south of Long's Peak. (My name's in the pipe. ) 14 day trip in Rocky Mt Nat'l...

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/24/14 at 04:23 AM.
Old 8/24/14, 04:35 AM
Post *****

You must have been a badarse to carry an 80# pack. I've never been able to do more than about 40, especially on long outings like 6-8 hikes.
I was definitely in hiking shape then but I couldn't have done it without that pack. That thing is amazing. The way the frame flexes and the hip suspension bars helped distribute the weight for heavy loads. Back when Jim Whittaker was providing input for JanSport, REI. Still loaded in my closet ready to go on a moment's notice.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/24/14 at 04:36 AM.
Old 8/24/14, 04:37 AM
Post *****

Installed my MGW today! And Boss 302 ****. And removed the sound tube.
I'll be honest I really didn't like that sound tube.
Old 8/24/14, 07:17 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, but you don't actually have a "low range" anything. That thing is front wheel drive with some to the back when it needs it. I might be wrong, but there is no way that thing has a hi and low range transfer case like a true 4 wd does. Just like the new Explorer, its not a "real" 4WD, its a front wheel drive with a little shaft to the back that will spin the rear wheels if it has to.

To call what these modern SUVs have 4WD is a bit of a misnomer. I shudder at calling these things a 4WD. Its a modified AWD at best. It irritates me that Ford calls the Explorer 4WD, its not. At best its an AWD, definitely not a 4WD.
I do have low range. I also have hill decent control, crawl mode, locking rear, and the front will use brake locking.

Auto mode is FWD and the rear kicks in as needed. The rest of the settings are all 4WD.

There are three different systems available with mine being the top one since I have the Trailhawk. This video explains the one that I have.

Old 8/24/14, 07:42 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Lol what? I would've still changed it. I had an MGW on my T-56 in my last car.

And holy shytballs. That new rubber shift boot. I didn't get the revised version that uses the factory boot. That fricken boot made me want to throw in the towel, but I was so close to finishing. It took my about 5 hours total, mainly because I didn't have all the exact tools I needed and had to improvise a bit. Also the shift boot and aligning the shaft so that the **** was straight took an extra half hour each, so a total of 4 hours maybe? That's the usual going rate for an MT-82 MGW install....
5 hours? Jeezus. It should be an hour max for a shifter change unless the new ones are just far more ridiculous than my 04.

Back in the day, even 15-20 years ago, paying cash for a car was a good thing. Dealers would fall over themselves during negotiations when you said you were paying cash. Now its a bad thing that they don't want any part of, they want to steer you towards financing. And people these days fall right into that trap and the dealer loves it, quoting you and getting you to sign a contract for a percent or two over what they can get the financing for and they get to keep that portion for themselves. Of course most people today finance cars and never even pay attention to what they are giving up, they only look at the payment. That's why the dealers use their 4 square sheets and **** and talk in terms of monthly payments instead of what the car actually costs. Sounds a lot better to talk about 400 a month than 35,000 for a 22,000 dollar car. And people are on the same wavelength, what is it going to cost me a month, ****ing morons don't look at the long term picture.

Not that I begrudge them, I'd do the same thing too for some extra money, but it pisses me off that you can't buy a car for cash these days without getting the stink eye, a jacked up price, and a ****ty attitude when they find out you have the money to buy it right then.
Drives me crazy. When I was looking for a daily driver, I went to look at an SHO. He kept talking monthly costs, when I broke out the "I'm an accountant, and understand interest rates. I don't care about monthly, I just want to know overall price" they didn't seem to like it.

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I was definitely in hiking shape then but I couldn't have done it without that pack. That thing is amazing. The way the frame flexes and the hip suspension bars helped distribute the weight for heavy loads. Back when Jim Whittaker was providing input for JanSport, REI. Still loaded in my closet ready to go on a moment's notice.
I've had a JanSport backpack for 15 years or so now. Used it for middle school, high school, college, and now general use. Love that thing. I've used and abused it, and it's still going strong.
Old 8/24/14, 08:19 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Did a six day hike in the Jim Bridger wilderness near Pinedale WY early this month. My pack weight was 27 pounds. Modern technology is wonderful.
Old 8/24/14, 08:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I'll be honest I really didn't like that sound tube.
I thought I did at first, but it has since started to annoy me every day. It was actually causing more drone with my muffler deletes (which don't need any help in that department lol). I can't wait to get my catback on and have no drone.

Originally Posted by StangMahn
5 hours? Jeezus. It should be an hour max for a shifter change unless the new ones are just far more ridiculous than my 04.
You should watch the MGW install video. The video itself is almost an hour long, and it's very sped up, not showing the time it takes to prep, "screwing" time (unbolting and bolting on), time to raise/lower the car (they had a lift, I had jack stands and a creeper), and on the boot part, his literally dropped right in because he had installed that shifter on that car before. Obviously from the manufacturer, they're going to go faster, but the going rate around here has been 3-5 hours for the MGW. There's a lot of little steps and pieces you have to put together.
Old 8/24/14, 08:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Must be nice? Remember I had to take a flight up to Seattle and drive it back down 1000 miles for its maiden journey?? I made it 975 miles and has some idiot in a lifted Tacoma, who obviously went 4-wheelin for the 4th of July, drop a big chunk of mud off his tires, and a piece of it kicked up and chipped my windshield. Another reason why I hate where I live.

My rate is 4.25, which I was actually quite happy about, considering I had an issue with my credit last year, that was I was assured would not show up on my report (because it was the BANK'S fault), and I was a first time buyer with no cosigner. I also brought in a check for $10k for my down payment though, so my payments are only $424. I plan to refinance in a couple years, but I'm paying extra every month. I plan to almost pay off the interest, and then just ride the loan out, as someone on here suggested to me. The difference in 0% (which I would never have gotten on my first purchase without a cosigner) is about $40/month. Knowing I am doing this all by myself, and that extra minuscule bit of money will eventually go towards the dealer that I had an awesome experience at (not counting the few snafus we had with the out of state purchase crap - thanks California ), I don't even mind.

For my next purchase though, I plan to get as close to 0% as I can. And bring as much cash as I can.

I know people hate leases, but I'm actually considering leasing an Edge or something else for our next family car. I don't want to own any of these techno family cars these days, and by the time I pay off enough of the GT to buy another new car, any used Sport Trac or Explorer that I'd actually want, is going to be beat to hell.
Old 8/24/14, 11:34 AM
Post *****

Did a six day hike in the Jim Bridger wilderness near Pinedale WY early this month. My pack weight was 27 pounds. Modern technology is wonderful.
By the REI catalog, stuff hasn't got much lighter if at all. JS gear was pretty cutting edge in '75. Unless you're all summer stuff.
When I got home my pack was still at 65# and the basic camping gear is pretty light. My JS wedge tent is only 6 1/4# (4 season), the sleeping bag is a bit less (-20). IIRC my basic gear is at 18 or 20# before food, fuel, water, fishing, recreation stuff.
As it turned out we were overpacked on fd food, fuel, fishing gear w/bow, stuff like ice axe, rope, etc. And there was that bottle of Heineken. It was our first trip for that long and though it was summer, we were prepared since we'd be right at tree line most days.
And those Svea kits are pretty light too. I still have and use mine. do you?

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/24/14 at 11:38 AM.
Old 8/24/14, 12:35 PM
Post *****

Hey Al - this may be too 'completed' for you but thought you might be interested. It's over in Houston. .01 auction with 'buy it now' $9999.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=436317987
Old 8/24/14, 12:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Hey Al - this may be too 'completed' for you but thought you might be interested. It's over in Houston. .01 auction with 'buy it now' $9999. . . . http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=436317987
Beautiful Galaxy, but I couldn't cut that car up. It's too pretty as is. What a survivor though! Throw some torque thrusts on it and call it a day!
Old 8/24/14, 12:39 PM

By the REI catalog, stuff hasn't got much lighter if at all. JS gear was pretty cutting edge in '75. Unless you're all summer stuff. When I got home my pack was still at 65# and the basic camping gear is pretty light. My JS wedge tent is only 6 1/4# (4 season), the sleeping bag is a bit less (-20). IIRC my basic gear is at 18 or 20# before food, fuel, water, fishing, recreation stuff. As it turned out we were overpacked on fd food, fuel, fishing gear w/bow, stuff like ice axe, rope, etc. And there was that bottle of Heineken. It was our first trip for that long and though it was summer, we were prepared since we'd be right at tree line most days. And those Svea kits are pretty light too. I still have and use mine. do you?
My tent is 1.75 lbs. Sleeping bag is 1.5 lbs. Backpack is 2lbs, but it is only 60 litres. We carry freeze dried meals fir dinner that you add boiling water and eat out of the pouch, those are ~1/3lb each. Power bars and cheese crackers for lunch and instant oatmeal for brkfst. Plus each person has 750ml of vodka fir making hard lemonade at night.
Old 8/24/14, 12:41 PM
Post *****

My tent is 1.75 lbs. Sleeping bag is 1.5 lbs. .
Whoa! Now that is amazing. REI catalog stuff? Or bicycle stuff?

Yes Mountain House freeze dried was around in the 70's And so was Tang thanks to the astronauts.

4 season gear? Or just barely gear? Would you trust it for this?
Attached Images  

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/24/14 at 12:47 PM.
Old 8/24/14, 12:59 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Hey Al - this may be too 'completed' for you but thought you might be interested. It's over in Houston. .01 auction with 'buy it now' $9999.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=436317987

Too many doors.
Old 8/24/14, 01:05 PM

Whoa! Now that is amazing. REI catalog stuff? Or bicycle stuff? Yes Mountain House freeze dried was around in the 70's And so was Tang thanks to the astronauts. 4 season gear? Or just barely gear? Would you trust it for this? .
Big Agnes tent and sleeping bag. 3 season gear, got it fro REI. I would not winter hike with it. And it is a one man tent, pretty tight quarters.
Old 8/24/14, 01:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Two many doors.
Fixed
Old 8/24/14, 01:34 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Do you know why they sell so many button fly jeans in Alabama?

The sheep can hear a zipper a mile a way.
Old 8/24/14, 02:22 PM
Post *****

6.1 Magnitude Quake Centered in Napa Felt Throughout Northern California
The United States Geological Survey recorded an earthquake at 3:20 a.m. centered close to Napa Valley, California.
Data shows the quake measured a magnitude 6.1 and struck near American Canyon, which is about six miles southwest of Napa in California wine country.
The quake was centered on the Franklin Fault, which has been dormant for approximately 1.6 million years, according to USGS scientist David Oppenheimer.
The quake lasted 10 second minimum, with some reports as long as 20 seconds.

http://www.kfbk.com/articles/kfbk-ne...rnia-12699858/

Some of the pics show the Napa quake caused some damage.

Esp by commenters!

1.6 million years? Pardon me if I take that bit of information with a grain of salt.

Mike Thaman · Top Commenter · Bgsu

Well, they did ask around, and nobody known to be younger than 1.6 m.y. could remember the last time it happened.......

Dennis Smith · Top Commenter · Works at Decoder Communications

Thank you.

Algernon Sidney · Top Commenter

Hey, the earth is only 6,000 years old, after all.

Dennis Smith · Top Commenter · Works at Decoder Communications

Actually it had been dormant for 1.72 million years,6 months,4 weeks,3 days,4 hours,15 minutes and 8 seconds.

Gordon Corey · Top Commenter · Works at Harness racing

Obammanocare statistician?

Larry Roberts · Top Commenter

At this moment, people are being bused in for looting purposes.

James Anderson · Top Commenter

In that case, I hope they have enough crack pipes and free cell phones to go around.

Sarah David · Top Commenter · Washington State University College of Pharmacy

So thankful that Nancy Pelosi will lead us out of this. I just wish she would run for President. Wouldn't it be great if she won, and named Hillary Clinton her VP? It's time Jesse Jackson had a cabinet level seat. We gotta get rid of white male dominance, the root of evil.

Mia Brower · Sonoma State University

WTF does Nancy Pelosi have to do with the earthquake?

Reece Smith · Top Commenter

The earthquake has to occur before you know what it has done

Grizz Mann · Top Commenter · Works at Being Curmudgeonly

Mia Brower , she remembers the last time it happened.

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast