Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Dealer wants me to believe there is nothing wrong with my boss...

Search this Thread

Old 10/21/11, 06:38 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those experiencing the grinding noise, has anyone seen this thread?

https://themustangsource.com/f813/20...y-leak-494748/
Old 10/21/11, 07:19 AM
V6 Member

Also, there's a pic on the following thread of a BOSS owner who had differential issues and opened it up:

https://themustangsource.com/f813/ra...96310/index16/

Scroll down a ways to view it.
Old 10/21/11, 08:35 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by servitium
Also, there's a pic on the following thread of a BOSS owner who had differential issues and opened it up:

https://themustangsource.com/f813/ra...96310/index16/

Scroll down a ways to view it.
This is the post he is referring to.
Old 10/21/11, 11:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
This is the post he is referring to.

Thank you for the link to the particular post. I just realized that you are the actual person who had the torn-up diff. LOL

A few questions:

How did that work out for you? Also, does the noise issue described on this thread sound like the problem you had? If you lower your rear seat does it still sound noisy?

One more question; What vehicle number do you have? It seems that a lot of the mech issues are coming from earlier runs.
Old 10/28/11, 11:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaneM
nothing, ive been more worried about the clutch lol its no worse than ever
I never read the full TSB 10-19-04 before. I finally took the time and it does not concern the 12 cars but the symptoms are the exact same as the problems the 11 had. Basically clutch not fully returning at high RPM shifts then quickly returns to normal, etc.

Anyway I passed this on to the dealer and they called engineering about the problem. They were told to pull the trans and check the pressure plate. They are in the process now and I will update as I know more.
Old 10/28/11, 12:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
I never read the full TSB 10-19-04 before. I finally took the time and it does not concern the 12 cars but the symptoms are the exact same as the problems the 11 had. Basically clutch not fully returning at high RPM shifts then quickly returns to normal, etc.

Anyway I passed this on to the dealer and they called engineering about the problem. They were told to pull the trans and check the pressure plate. They are in the process now and I will update as I know more.
cool i hope they figure it out. it sounds to me just like the problem with the early 11 gt's. also last time i was at the track i shifted at red line and it stuck, then i started shifting at 6500 and it was fine all day not one stick.
Old 10/28/11, 02:27 PM
Cobra R Member

cool i hope they figure it out. it sounds to me just like the problem with the early 11 gt's. also last time i was at the track i shifted at red line and it stuck, then i started shifting at 6500 and it was fine all day not one stick.
Sounds like we have the identical problem which is identical to the early 11 problem. It happened last time on a long straight doing a very normal 3-4. The first time I was coming out of a turn up-shifting but do not remember the gears, I think it was also 3-4.

The service dept at Sunrise Ford rocks

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 10/28/11 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10/28/11, 02:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Sounds like we have the identical problem which is identical to the early 11 problem. It happened last time on a long straight doing a very normal 3-4. The first time I was coming out of a turn up-shifting but do not remember the gears, I think it was also 3-4.

The service dept at Sunrise Ford rocks
man i wish mine did, my local dealer is the sort that makes people buy Chevy

ive been told this part is a possible solution to the issue we have. supposedly they think the issue is a restriction on the hose between the master and slave not allowing enough fluid movement to operate teh clutch correctly at high rpms. thoughts?

http://www.hecticparts.com/products/...TTING-KIT.html

i wonder how hard that is to install

Last edited by ShaneM; 10/28/11 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10/28/11, 02:46 PM
Cobra R Member

man i wish mine did, my local dealer is the sort that makes people buy Chevy

ive been told this part is a possible solution to the issue we have. supposedly they think the issue is a restriction on the hose between the master and slave not allowing enough fluid movement to operate teh clutch correctly at high rpms. thoughts?

http://www.hecticparts.com/products/...TTING-KIT.html

i wonder how hard that is to install
I don't know enough to make an educated statement about it but at first glance it sounds like it could help. I forwarded this to the link to the service guys and if they do not find another problem we may go down this road.
Old 10/28/11, 11:42 PM

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank our beloved distant neighbors in china for once again manufacturing a quality piece for our enjoyment. The Getrag has issues. I spoke with Joe Heck and they were researching and testing an improved shift fork. The Ford TSB advises a change to the duel clutch fluid which made a slight improvement in mine. (2011 V6 performance pack car, same tranny) There shifter was not available at that time so I purchased a MGW and now that it has over 1000 miles on it I can say the car shifts pretty good. After installing this and looking at the design I believe I would use either Barton. MGW or Joe Heck's rear mount only. I think with that simple low cost mod a great deal of improvement would be noticed.
Old 11/18/11, 02:43 PM
Cobra R Member

It's here

Update on the clutch sticking Shane. They were going to pull it and change/check the pressure plate as I said. Since it was getting close to the weekend my service adviser called and told me he was waiting on Ford to give them a go ahead and he doubted I would have the car for that weekend's track day. I picked it up and was going to drop it back off the next week but Ford engineering again told them to hold off for some reason.

They finally got the go ahead this week from Ford and the parts are on order. Maybe early next week it will be worked on. I will let you know what happens as it goes. Only problem is I will have to wait on the shifter install for now.
Old 1/11/12, 09:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Shane
I got the Boss back today and felt a noticable difference in the clutch. I did get the JHR high volume line after talking with the SM at the dealer. The clutch pedal is much easier, shorter and smoother, not sure if there was a problem with the old clutch/plate since it looked fine or the new line is making the difference, I think it is the new line. I also had the MGW shifter installed and all I can say is WOW, much better!

If the shifter wows me on the track as much as the street I will be very happy, I really like it it so far but will not know for sure until I get some high RPM shifts in. Even with just a few street miles I can say the throw is shorter and way more precise. I found I was using very little effort or the feeling I had to grab it and move it into place especially on the down shifts. There is no play in neutral. Night and day difference!

I will let you know what happens after my next track day but will need a few more days since it only stuck twice in all the track time last year. Also it will be impossibile to tell if the new pressure plate fixes the problem since all the other changes were made at the same time.
Old 1/11/12, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey Scott. At TA you mentioned your car didn't shift into... I think you said 5th very well compared to the car you drove there. I'm curious if you notice any improvement with the changes you've made. Mine works incredibly well but I know there are others out there that might benefit from your experience. BTW I will have one of them fancy MGW shifters at some point!
Old 1/11/12, 10:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Fat Boss
Hey Scott. At TA you mentioned your car didn't shift into... I think you said 5th very well compared to the car you drove there. I'm curious if you notice any improvement with the changes you've made. Mine works incredibly well but I know there are others out there that might benefit from your experience. BTW I will have one of them fancy MGW shifters at some point!
My car has always been hard to shift into fifth and has only been getting worse. Even forth was getting more difficult at my last track day. I noticed at Daytona when I short shifted quite a few times (since I did not want to take my eyes off a wall a few feet away going past me at 150MPH ) that the car went into gear much better. As soon as I was at or close to 7500 I have to jam it into fifth again.

This shifter feels great and he made no promise that the shifing problems would be fixed, that is not the intent of this shifter, but I think it will help. I will know more this weekend. With the new clutch and high flow line my pedal feels smoother. Mine did have a lot of play up top and that is gone now, feels like the Miller car I drove and other local Bosses.

Someone at the dealer who deals with service told me they have been getting increasing complaints about hard shifting. I told him that Ford thinks it is mass hysteria on the internet forums. He said that many of the people complaining about the MT-82 are not on or ever have been on the Mustang forums, they are young and old, male and female etc. He stated some were even surprised to hear that others have reported the same problem.. When I asked him directly if he thought I was crazy, he did say he had a hard time believing me about the problem at first but now believes me 100%

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 1/11/12 at 10:29 PM.
Old 1/12/12, 02:31 AM
Cobra Member

i have emailed and called JHR and no one ever responds, i had honestly thought they were out of business and just left their site up. did you buy that straight form them? any idea how hard the install on that high capacity line was?
Old 1/12/12, 10:23 AM
Cobra R Member

i have emailed and called JHR and no one ever responds, i had honestly thought they were out of business and just left their site up. did you buy that straight form them? any idea how hard the install on that high capacity line was?
I got it from Lehal Performance, close to me but just has it shipped. There is a discount code over at SVT or AFM for 5%. The install does not look too bad but since the dealer had the car apart I had them install it.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/201...pgrade-p-37483