Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Dealer wants me to believe there is nothing wrong with my boss...

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/11, 11:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
The seats fold down? LOL I haven't even thought of folding them down yet.
I have a shelf, no seats
Old 8/2/11, 02:27 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mtnbikefuel80
I am going into the dealer tomorrow for the hard shifting into first issue while the car is at a stop and for the clutch pedal sticking to the floor. As both of these don't happen every time consistently it will probably be hard to show the technicians, though hopefully they should know what I am talking about. If they cant figure anything out I have the steeda tri-ax shifter, transmission bracket, and MTL fluid that I will swap in and see if that helps the shifting issue. I have also read that if you pop out the second spring on the clutch pedal it turns the clutch box into essentially the same unit that is in the GT500 and increases the clutch force from about 20 pounds to 35-38 pounds. Ill let you guys know how it goes.
i thought the fix in the 11 cars was to add the gt500 assembly, which had two springs not one to get more return force?
Old 8/2/11, 03:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the 2011 cars that was the fix (see http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f...-issue-161352/). For 2012 like ours I read that it has both springs so you can just remove the vertical one to make it like the gt500 clutch box assembley to make clutch actuation smoother. I cant find the page where I read that and how it changed the clutch pedal force right now but ill keep looking for it. Ill need to look at the mechanical linkages on the clutch pedal to see how it works. I read it while i was frantically searching the internet trying to find out why my clutch had stuck down and was throwing it out here hoping someone else may have read the same article and could elaborate.

As for going to the dealership today they said everything was fine. Since this is an intermitant thing i didnt figure they would spot anything. Im going to install the steeda tri-ax shifter and steeda transmission bracket and MTL fluid this weekend and hopefully that fixes the shifting into first and second issues. Im also adding SS brake lines and putting in 600F brake fluid. Hoping that the better fluid maybe helps the clutch.
Old 8/5/11, 11:41 PM
Cobra Member

ok so i think i have a bead on what might be causing my rear end whine noise. i think it is the brake pads. i drove the car for about 2 hours straight today taking my kids to spend the weekend with grandma. Generally when i hop out of the car i pay no attention to the wheels.

for some reason i looked down after stopping and noticed the rear rotors did in fact have a discolored ring about an inch wide approx a quarter of an inch from the outer lip of the rotor. it's the same size on both sides. i had a bit of a eureka moment when i recalled the time a few winters back when the brake cable on my 05 seized up and i had to get it replaced. the dude at the place that fixed it just ratcheted down the adjustment bolt inside the car in the console. i had to loosen it up and the sound it made when teh brake on that 05 were dragging are exactly what this sounds like, although the 05 was ten time louder.

i smelled no hot brakes though so if they are dragging, its only a tiny bit. it was dark when i got home so i didn't get to mess with it. i plan to adjust tomorrow and see how it goes. i hope that its just too tight and the brakes are slightly dragging in the rear. the effing clutch pedal stuck again today though. i still don't know what to do about that with the local dealer not up to standards imho
Old 8/6/11, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

A new report posted this morning from a 2012 BOSS 302 owner to the NHTSA:

Component: POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Summary:
2012 FORD MUSTANG BOSS 302 WITH 4500 MILES ON THE CAR. THE CLUTCH PEDAL STICKS TO THE FLOOR AT HIGH RPM ONLY ON THE 3-4 SHIFT. THE PEDAL JUST HANGS MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE TO GET THE CAR INTO ANY GEAR UNTIL THE RPMS FALL AND THEN THE CLUTCH PEDAL WILL SUDDENLY SPRING BACK TO THE FULLY RELEASED POSITION WITH AN AUDIBLE SUCKING SOUND. I TOOK THE CAR TO THE DEALER AND THEY CLAIM TO NOT BE ABLE TO REPLICATE THE ISSUE. EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU TRY TO SHIFT AT HIGH RPM 3-4 THE PROBLEM HAPPENS. THE DEALER ALSO REFUSED TO PERFORM THE TRANSMISSION FLUID SWAP TSB TO FIX THE CRUNCH ON 1-2 AND 2-3 SHIFT WHEN THE TRANSMISSION IS COLD.
Old 8/6/11, 01:54 PM
Cobra Member

i hope they can offer a fix i cant be the only person having the pedal stick, it sounds just like what the 11 5.0 had. i wonder how long it took them to find the fix for that. the gt500 pedal assembly isn't expensive, i found it only for under $200 if i had some indication that would fix my problem id just buy it.
Old 8/6/11, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Shane - have you tried bleeding the clutch? When bleeding a hydraulic clutch, it is very common for the clutch pedal to stay on the floor. The same may also be true of the clutch with some air still in the system. I can't think of any mechanical connection with engine RPM, however.

Attached is the clutch bleeding procedure as described in the manual. (Admittedly, I think there's something wrong or missing in the description - but this is directly from the Service Manual.)

Dealer wants me to believe there is nothing wrong with my boss...-clutchbleed.jpg
Old 8/6/11, 02:50 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
Shane - have you tried bleeding the clutch? When bleeding a hydraulic clutch, it is very common for the clutch pedal to stay on the floor. The same may also be true of the clutch with some air still in the system. I can't think of any mechanical connection with engine RPM, however.

Attached is the clutch bleeding procedure as described in the manual. (Admittedly, I think there's something wrong or missing in the description - but this is directly from the Service Manual.)

Attachment 91450
i had the entire clutch/brake system suctioned out and replaced all the fluid with DOT 4 a month or so back and it still sticks
Old 8/6/11, 04:37 PM
Bullitt Member

i had the entire clutch/brake system suctioned out and replaced all the fluid with DOT 4 a month or so back and it still sticks
Yeah, but the real question is what procedure did they follow?? Many shops may *think* they know how to do something because that's the way they've always done it and it has always worked. This doesn't mean it is the same on the Boss.

Did you ever have the clutch sticking problem before the replacement with DOT 4?

Not trying to be argumentative here - just trying to help solve your problem.
Old 8/6/11, 06:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShaneM

Dang i was gonna do that with my fingers crossed hoping it would help :/ Still going to do that swap for the track tho.
Old 8/6/11, 07:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Shane I am having the same problem...the clutch feels like it was pushed into silly putty for a lack of a better analogy. Oh, and this was waaay before the KB. Only happened after running thru the gears and shifting at arounf 7800
Old 8/6/11, 10:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2006stiguy
Shane I am having the same problem...the clutch feels like it was pushed into silly putty for a lack of a better analogy. Oh, and this was waaay before the KB. Only happened after running thru the gears and shifting at arounf 7800
yeah mine sort of feels like that the first inch or so feels normal, then it sticks and just doesn't come up. yes i had this problem before changing to the dot 4. the change was one of the things i hoped to fix. i don't think its some sort of internal transmission problem, i think its the pedal assembly like on the 11 gt cars. im no mechanic, but i watched them suck all the fluid out and then bleed the system at each wheel with the machine. it appeared they did it right.

Also losening the parking brake did nothing for the scraping sound, im just living with that. i just want the clutch fixed at this point.
Old 8/7/11, 08:56 AM
Bullitt Member

but i watched them suck all the fluid out and then bleed the system at each wheel with the machine. it appeared they did it right.
Yes, this would be a good procedure for the brakes.... but how did they bleed the clutch???
Old 8/7/11, 09:27 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by nota4re
Yes, this would be a good procedure for the brakes.... but how did they bleed the clutch???
hmmm honestly i dont know. i didnt watch him bleed anything where he was inder the car, assuming that is where the clutch bleed port is.
Old 8/7/11, 10:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, Shane, I don't know either. I flushed the 3 LS's here the same way as the guys did yours - empty (almost) the master cylinder and then bleed each brake caliper from farthest to nearest. I have been a little worried about the clutch and then, as I said, that procedure in the manual just seems a bit unique if not odd.
Old 10/14/11, 08:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ok so i think i have a bead on what might be causing my rear end whine noise. i think it is the brake pads. i drove the car for about 2 hours straight today taking my kids to spend the weekend with grandma. Generally when i hop out of the car i pay no attention to the wheels.

for some reason i looked down after stopping and noticed the rear rotors did in fact have a discolored ring about an inch wide approx a quarter of an inch from the outer lip of the rotor. it's the same size on both sides. i had a bit of a eureka moment when i recalled the time a few winters back when the brake cable on my 05 seized up and i had to get it replaced. the dude at the place that fixed it just ratcheted down the adjustment bolt inside the car in the console. i had to loosen it up and the sound it made when teh brake on that 05 were dragging are exactly what this sounds like, although the 05 was ten time louder.

i smelled no hot brakes though so if they are dragging, its only a tiny bit. it was dark when i got home so i didn't get to mess with it. i plan to adjust tomorrow and see how it goes. i hope that its just too tight and the brakes are slightly dragging in the rear. the effing clutch pedal stuck again today though. i still don't know what to do about that with the local dealer not up to standards imho
What have you found out about the noise from the rearend?
Old 10/15/11, 04:34 PM
Cobra Member

nothing, ive been more worried about the clutch lol its no worse than ever
Old 10/16/11, 12:23 AM

FYI, the Torsen on my '99 Trans Am whined about as bad as Matero does about the MT-82. I just ignored it and the car ran great for over 50k miles. Traded it in after that, so I can't provide any further longevity data.
Old 10/20/11, 08:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let me know what happens please when you hear anything. I had mine stick halfway down for the second time at Homestead last weekend. Does yours always stick all the way down?
Old 10/21/11, 01:50 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Let me know what happens please when you hear anything. I had mine stick halfway down for the second time at Homestead last weekend. Does yours always stick all the way down?
mine sticks about half way back from full disengaged. I had it do that to me first session a week or so back when i went to the ECR. on the 3-4 shift as usual. I ended up not revving the car as high and it never happened again for the rest of the day. Even shifting at 6k-6.5k seemed to be enough for the pedal to not stick. It sucks i cant wring the car out though. im not doing anything on the clutch issue now, i don't trust the dealer. i am just holding out in hopes ford finds the issue.

Quick Reply: Dealer wants me to believe there is nothing wrong with my boss...