Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Dealer wants me to believe there is nothing wrong with my boss...

Search this Thread

Old 7/5/11, 07:20 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MJockey
Shane, just wondering if you have gone back to the dealer. I lower my rear seat yesterday and it makes the sound much much louder. It's definitely a metal to metal sound. My car has 3000 miles on it and has never been tracked.
Hey MJockey,

I’d like to escalate this for you as well. Could you message me with your dealer, VIN, contact info, and mileage?

Deysha
Old 7/26/11, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ShaneM
So i took my boss into the dealer to have the whining rear end looked at along with the crunch on 1-2 and 203 when the car is cold and the clutch pedal issue where it stuck to the floor. they actually told me the whine in the rear end is normal because the car is so low. they also claim to not notice any crunch in shifting, which is a miracle considering it does it each time i drive when its cold. They also wont address the clutch pedal sticking at all since they cant replicate the issue. i guess it has to stick enough to burn the clutch out and get towed in before they will do anything. i'm so mad right now. I'm going to pick the car up in a bit and if they try to charge me for looking at the car things will get ugly.
Have you found out anything more about the clutch issue? I was driving on a normal road (not track) and after breaking hard and then depressing the clutch mine became stuck down to where there wasnt a lot of travel. I know the brakes and clutch are attatched to the same resovoir (why they did that I dont know) so maybe that has something to do with it but I am planning on autocrossing soon and installing some parts and I dont want it happening again and having Ford blame it on either of those reasons. Thanks.
Old 7/26/11, 11:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear whine is something that a) is very hard to get noticed by a writer without taking them for a ride and b) is rather hard to resolve unless the tech really knows what he/she is doing and takes the time to do it right.

Setting the lash, making sure pinion depth is correct, verifying engagement pattern. Takes time to get it right (and more than just one kit of parts if you don't know what you are doing). Took 4 times to get our Exploder 'quiet'. Was noisy all the time (bad pinion bearing), so they replaced it all. Then it was only noisy on decel... next fix it was only noisy on accel. Last fix finally got it right.

I used to setup gears in a speed shop. Lots of time spent making sure all of that was correct so the customer didn't come back with noise. Learned from someone who was very good and very meticulous.
Old 7/26/11, 02:38 PM
Bullitt Member

When I took my car to the dealer they had a veteran mechanic ride with me to listen to the noise. He said it definitely wasn't bearing noise. He thought it was normal road noise or transmission noise.
Old 7/26/11, 06:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MJockey
When I took my car to the dealer they had a veteran mechanic ride with me to listen to the noise. He said it definitely wasn't bearing noise. He thought it was normal road noise or transmission noise.
Jeff mine's that way too. A friend with a Brembo 5.0 and after-market control arms, shocks and springs says the same thing. It is really noticeable with the rear seats down and even more so with the trunk floor liner out. It could be gear whine (I have it in my GT500 with after-market 3.73s, and as John said, probably not set up just right.) As far as the Boss it may or may not be gear whine. It could be the firmer bushings used to improve the track handling of the car. That's my vote as I have all kinds of rear end noise transmitted into the cabin on my GT500 with poly bushings and heim joints.....not to mention the torque arm. I am guessing the rear seats and trunk materials were designed to dampen this noise. I'm really not worried about it at all. With the seats up I don't hear it over the exhaust IMO I don't think the dealer is going to find anything wrong with the car that they can repair.

Last edited by cloud9; 7/26/11 at 06:56 PM.
Old 7/27/11, 01:12 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Jeff mine's that way too. A friend with a Brembo 5.0 and after-market control arms, shocks and springs says the same thing. It is really noticeable with the rear seats down and even more so with the trunk floor liner out. It could be gear whine (I have it in my GT500 with after-market 3.73s, and as John said, probably not set up just right.) As far as the Boss it may or may not be gear whine. It could be the firmer bushings used to improve the track handling of the car. That's my vote as I have all kinds of rear end noise transmitted into the cabin on my GT500 with poly bushings and heim joints.....not to mention the torque arm. I am guessing the rear seats and trunk materials were designed to dampen this noise. I'm really not worried about it at all. With the seats up I don't hear it over the exhaust IMO I don't think the dealer is going to find anything wrong with the car that they can repair.
I live with the whine, the car doesn't seem to be affected. the thing that bothers me is never knowing if the clutch pedal will come back up on a high RPM run. i haven't had the car back in because frankly i don't trust the dealer to look at my car any more. i'm honestly just waiting to see if anyone else finds they have the issue and has a dealer agree there is something wrong. i can tell you 100% its going to be a biatch to get the tech to agree anything is wrong with the clutch if yours is sticking. im am hoping a TSB comes along.
Old 7/27/11, 03:44 PM
FR500 Member

I don't have the whine. What I do have is enough freeplay in the diff that I feel the car lurch a bit when I shift into a forward gear while stopped. I was under the car yesterday during its oil change. I can rotate the driveshaft about 10 degrees or so without resistance from the diff. (with the trans in neutral)
Old 7/28/11, 07:26 PM
Bullitt Member

There is no fix for the grinding between gears. It's been going on with the MT82 transmission since it first went into service in 2003. Mustang owners have been complaining since April 2010 and nothing from Ford. The NHTSA has just started an investigation into this as the grinding eventually evolves into an inability to engage gears.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...hread-356.html
Old 7/28/11, 07:32 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by jmatero
There is no fix for the grinding between gears. It's been going on with the MT82 transmission since it first went into service in 2003. Mustang owners have been complaining since April 2010 and nothing from Ford. The NHTSA has just started an investigation into this as the grinding eventually evolves into an inability to engage gears.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...hread-356.html
Old 7/28/11, 07:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
The OP has a Mustang with MT82 transmission grinding between gears. 1-2 and 2-3. He can't get the dealer to fix it. Neither can any of us... hence the Feds launching an investigation. We've got a multitude of owners at AFM who filed complaints with the NHTSA after Ford wouldn't fix their cars... despite transmission replacements... and the Gov't started calling them all this week to arrange for engineers to inspect their cars.

What's the problem?
Old 7/28/11, 08:22 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
The OP has a Mustang with MT82 transmission grinding between gears. 1-2 and 2-3. He can't get the dealer to fix it. Neither can any of us... hence the Feds launching an investigation. We've got a multitude of owners at AFM who filed complaints with the NHTSA after Ford wouldn't fix their cars... despite transmission replacements... and the Gov't started calling them all this week to arrange for engineers to inspect their cars.

What's the problem?
The problem is that its the same spiel that you continue to post all over the internet ad nauseam. Yes, people are aware of the problem, some have it some don't. Yes, we've beaten this topic to death. And yes, we are aware that you seem to get some sort of e-fame sense of accomplishment by bringing it up at every opportunity, as if its the first time anyone has heard of it. We get it. You're the MT-82 caped crusader.

BTW, how's that 20/20 special coming along that you were bleating about here recently?

I understand you and some others are having problems, but it just gets a little old hearing the same thing over and over again. I'm sorry about the troubles you've had, but how about one thread devoted to the topic, instead of turning every one that even mentions it into the same diatribe?

I thought the main focus of this thread was the gear whine from the Torsen rearend in a Boss and the clutch sticking to the floor, he just mentioned the gear change grinding as an aside that he brought up to them at the same time. I'm pretty sure he was fully aware of the MT-82 problems beforehand, just like 95% of the people here.
Old 7/28/11, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
The problem is that its the same spiel that you continue to post all over the internet ad nauseam. Yes, people are aware of the problem, some have it some don't. Yes, we've beaten this topic to death. And yes, we are aware that you seem to get some sort of e-fame sense of accomplishment by bringing it up at every opportunity, as if its the first time anyone has heard of it. We get it. You're the MT-82 caped crusader.

BTW, how's that 20/20 special coming along that you were bleating about here recently?

I understand you and some others are having problems, but it just gets a little old hearing the same thing over and over again. I'm sorry about the troubles you've had, but how about one thread devoted to the topic, instead of turning every one that even mentions it into the same diatribe?

I thought the main focus of this thread was the gear whine from the Torsen rearend in a Boss and the clutch sticking to the floor, he just mentioned the gear change grinding as an aside that he brought up to them at the same time. I'm pretty sure he was fully aware of the MT-82 problems beforehand, just like 95% of the people here.
Wow... bad day?

1. It is clearly the first time the OP has heard about it as he doesn't understand why his dealer can't fix it. YOU don't want to hear about it maybe, but HE asked a question... I gave him the answer. You offered ZERO help. We're also getting a LOT of reports of whining from the rear that turned out to be the transmission... it just sounded like it was coming from the rear when inside the car.

2. The 20/20 story is in production now. Email Chris.Cuomo@abc.com for details.

You can attack me all you want but the reality is we are up to almost 600 unique posts from owners reporting issues at the thread at AFM and the squeaky wheels complaining to the Feds and the Press may actually get this issue solved.
Old 7/28/11, 08:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
<YAWN> Oh look..more internet bickering.....
Old 7/28/11, 10:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Some cars have faulty drivers can we get a federal investigation into that?
Old 7/28/11, 10:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Big Vito
Some cars have faulty drivers can we get a federal investigation into that?
Right... 300,000 hits, almost 6000 posts from 600+ owners... and now 5 reports to the feds a DAY.... all of them are bad drivers?

Please...
Old 7/28/11, 10:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Right... 300,000 hits, almost 6000 posts from 600+ owners... and now 5 reports to the feds a DAY.... all of them are bad drivers?

Please...
Blah blah blah, go tell it to someone that cares to hear your continual chest thumping
Old 7/28/11, 10:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Blah blah blah, go tell it to someone that cares to hear your continual chest thumping
It's not chest thumping. It's posting data to counter your ridiculous suggestion that this mess is the fault of owners.
Old 7/28/11, 10:48 PM
Cobra R Member

It's not chest thumping. It's posting data to counter your ridiculous suggestion that this mess is the fault of owners.
Perhaps my post was facetious, get off the soap box ,thank you
Old 7/28/11, 10:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Perhaps my post was facetious, get off the soap box ,thank you
Indeed.
Old 7/28/11, 11:54 PM
FR500 Member

Please...
Hmmm. I'm looking at NHTSA's complaints report for the 2011 Mustang. I am seeing a total of 42 reports since 2010. That's about 0.14 per day. There were 2 yesterday though, for a total of 3 for the month of July.

Oops, my bad. I forgot to check for the 2012 model year. Yep, there are another 5 reports, none in July. That makes a total of 47.
Attached Files

Last edited by PTRocks; 7/29/11 at 12:21 AM. Reason: My bad division.

Quick Reply: Dealer wants me to believe there is nothing wrong with my boss...