Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Dealer wants me to believe there is nothing wrong with my boss...

Search this Thread

Old 6/22/11, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaneM
i went back to the shop and had the service manager ride with me. he heard the whine in the read and it seems to be coming from the right rear tire area. i have an appointment to take it back in thurs. the car was warm and had been in the sun all day in the 100-degree heat so no crunch on shifting. ill live with the crunch for now if i need to. the big issues for me were the whine, 0001 did not do that and it was a torsen car too, and the clutch pedal sticking. that is annoying as hell and ruins the fun at the track.

I have a Boss without the torsen and also hear a noise coming from the right rear tire area, which only occurs in 6th gear at 70+mph. It sounds like a whine to me, but now that someone mentioned wind noise.. That may seem like a possibility. Please keep us updated once the issue is determined.
Old 6/22/11, 05:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Shane,
Have you had the Rear Diff Fluid changed? It is recommended to change after your first track event.
I had mine changed at my local Speed shop that does a bit of work for me. He said the fluid gets a real rancid smell after being very hot, he said mine smelled real bad. I had 1000 miles, 1 auto cross and 1 track event on my fluid. So, I would get some high end rear diff fluid, make the change and the see what you hear.
I hear no whine from the rear on mine, but shifiting from 1 to 2 the first 10 minutes, even when it hot out, is very scratchy/grabby. Very unnerving! It goes away in about 10 minutes. I was going to have the Ford dealership put in the new trans fluid outlined in the ford service buliten, but I read on another blog that the new lower viscosity fluid increases tranny Noise. So, for now, I am living with it.

I find several concerning noises go away the warmer the car gets???

Last edited by Bossdog; 6/22/11 at 05:16 PM.
Old 6/22/11, 07:29 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bossdog
Shane,
Have you had the Rear Diff Fluid changed? It is recommended to change after your first track event.
I had mine changed at my local Speed shop that does a bit of work for me. He said the fluid gets a real rancid smell after being very hot, he said mine smelled real bad. I had 1000 miles, 1 auto cross and 1 track event on my fluid. So, I would get some high end rear diff fluid, make the change and the see what you hear.
I hear no whine from the rear on mine, but shifiting from 1 to 2 the first 10 minutes, even when it hot out, is very scratchy/grabby. Very unnerving! It goes away in about 10 minutes. I was going to have the Ford dealership put in the new trans fluid outlined in the ford service buliten, but I read on another blog that the new lower viscosity fluid increases tranny Noise. So, for now, I am living with it.

I find several concerning noises go away the warmer the car gets???

the whine i s the same cold or hot and it made the sound before either of the events ive done. i plan to change the fluid, i just haven't had time yet.
Old 6/23/11, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Shane, Any update on this?
Old 6/23/11, 06:38 PM
Cobra Member

no i didn't make it in today and ive got a crazy schedule the next 3 weeks so im not sure when i will get back in
Old 6/23/11, 09:56 PM
Cobra R Member

I know working at home can be crazier than some think
Old 6/23/11, 10:47 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Big Vito
I know working at home can be crazier than some think
Is your home an insane asylum?
Old 6/23/11, 10:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Is your home an insane asylum?
it's a madhouse
Old 6/24/11, 02:47 PM
Cobra Member

with two kids in the summer, mine is a looney bin
Old 6/24/11, 09:24 PM
GT Member

with two kids in the summer, mine is a looney bin
is it possible tranny whine? and why did you not toss the i had the 001 and it did not do that in the engineers face?

the shifter issue, i watched your video with the instructor. i think what he was implying / (could not hear what he said, but) hold the shifter on the top. and really, less is more. grab it by the side you are in charge. the shifter gates are just in the way.

hope that makes sense!

btw, did i mention, that track looks fun.

beers
Old 6/25/11, 10:23 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Swoope
is it possible tranny whine? and why did you not toss the i had the 001 and it did not do that in the engineers face?

the shifter issue, i watched your video with the instructor. i think what he was implying / (could not hear what he said, but) hold the shifter on the top. and really, less is more. grab it by the side you are in charge. the shifter gates are just in the way.

hope that makes sense!

btw, did i mention, that track looks fun.

beers
i told them repeatedly i had another boss and it didn't make that sound. thats when the engineer started in about different gear ratios and suspension and i had to tell him about the car and what it had and didn't as options. he still insisted that bushings can change from one build to the next. its not a suspension noise he just refused to accept that.

the really weird part is that i couldn't get the tranny to crunch at the dealer on 1-2 or 2-3. i chalked it up to the car being slightly warm and having been in the sun all day at the time. now when i pull it out of the garage in the morning its not crunching lol. ive seriously wondered if they stealth fixed it so they didn't have to admit the boss has the tranny crunch too.
Old 7/4/11, 06:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Shane, just wondering if you have gone back to the dealer. I lower my rear seat yesterday and it makes the sound much much louder. It's definitely a metal to metal sound. My car has 3000 miles on it and has never been tracked.
Old 7/4/11, 06:57 AM
Cobra Member

nope i haven't gone back. TBH i simply lost any trust in that dealer even though after the fact the service manager agreed he heard the sound too. i suspect the tech would simply find the car is normal and they would come after me to pay them for looking for the source of the noise.

It's sad really that i have a full warranty on the vehicle and the local dealer has me in a position that i am weary of using it. in the end all i can really do is drive it until it breaks and they can't say nothing is wrong or risk a bill running into big money at the dealers $150 per hour disgusting labor rate.

If you go in let me know what they say, is your sound on the right side only as well?

Last edited by ShaneM; 7/4/11 at 06:59 AM.
Old 7/4/11, 08:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine whines with the seats down. It's suspenion and gear noise being transmitted through more aggressive control arms,bushings, etc. It's really bad in my GT500 with the torque arm, poly bushings and heim joints. The Boss is nowhere near that loud. It's really only noticeable when the rear seats are down. In fact, if I wouldn't have put my seats down to make it into a station wagon to haul my track wheels to the paint shop, I probably wouldn't have noticed. I'm guessing you won't be able to make this go away and that you may just not have noticed it in your other Boss if you never had the seats down.
Old 7/4/11, 08:34 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
Mine whines with the seats down. It's suspenion and gear noise being transmitted through more aggressive control arms,bushings, etc. It's really bad in my GT500 with the torque arm, poly bushings and heim joints. The Boss is nowhere near that loud. It's really only noticeable when the rear seats are down. In fact, if I wouldn't have put my seats down to make it into a station wagon to haul my track wheels to the paint shop, I probably wouldn't have noticed. I'm guessing you won't be able to make this go away and that you may just not have noticed it in your other Boss if you never had the seats down.
in my case i can hear it with the seats up too. like i said im just going to drive it rather than risk a $500 bill at the dealer.
Old 7/4/11, 09:15 AM
FR500 Member

in my case i can hear it with the seats up too. like i said im just going to drive it rather than risk a $500 bill at the dealer.
Drive it till it breaks. Then they can't deny it. You've also CYA by having come in more than once to get it checked out. It's on them if there's collateral damage in the diff as a result.
Old 7/4/11, 09:32 AM
Cobra Member

yeah, i only hope if it does break its not at 120 at the track!
Old 7/4/11, 09:49 AM
FR500 Member

yeah, i only hope if it does break its not at 120 at the track!
Amen.
Old 7/4/11, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
I did a little more checking. I put the car up on jack stands and checked the fluid levels in the rear diff and trans. Both were good. Started the car put it in 3rd and had the wife keep it at 2000 rpm. I couldn't hear anything outside the car so it need some load to make the sound. I probably still let the dealer give it a listen even though it may be normal.

Last edited by MJockey; 7/4/11 at 10:19 AM.
Old 7/5/11, 06:37 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
nope i haven't gone back. TBH i simply lost any trust in that dealer even though after the fact the service manager agreed he heard the sound too. i suspect the tech would simply find the car is normal and they would come after me to pay them for looking for the source of the noise.

It's sad really that i have a full warranty on the vehicle and the local dealer has me in a position that i am weary of using it. in the end all i can really do is drive it until it breaks and they can't say nothing is wrong or risk a bill running into big money at the dealers $150 per hour disgusting labor rate.

If you go in let me know what they say, is your sound on the right side only as well?
Hey ShaneM,

I understand where you are coming from. I’d like to escalate this for you to make sure it gets taken care of. Could you message me with your dealer, VIN, contact info, and mileage?

Deysha

Quick Reply: Dealer wants me to believe there is nothing wrong with my boss...