Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/10, 07:44 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trahsub
As previously mentioned, if Ford engineers are scouring the car to save ANY pound of weight they can, you may be waiting a long time for the 'premium' Boss to come down the line. Fortunately, you can have a serious track machine in the GT/Track Pack, loaded to the hilt.
Just curious how much weight do you think Sync and HIDS would add?
Old 8/15/10, 07:51 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by trahsub
As previously mentioned, if Ford engineers are scouring the car to save ANY pound of weight they can, you may be waiting a long time for the 'premium' Boss to come down the line. Fortunately, you can have a serious track machine in the GT/Track Pack, loaded to the hilt.
If Ford wanted to make the BOSS a stripped to the bone track car they wouldn't include AC or a radio, at least make it an option. I don't think that's their plan. I know they deleted 11 pounds of sound deadening material but that's to make it sound better, not lighter. How much would HIDs, a nav and Sirius radio add up to? MAYBE 20 pounds, that's the difference in weight between two averaged sized drivers..who cares?
Old 8/15/10, 07:52 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Jchandler
Just curious how much weight do you think Sync and HIDS would add?
One door panel with the Shaker sub that comes with the Sync system weighs about ~15lbs, the amp has to be good for another 5-7, multiply that by 2. The HIDs add about 5-600$ to the price, I'd rather put that money into other performance bits..

Last edited by PTRocks; 8/15/10 at 07:55 PM.
Old 8/15/10, 08:01 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just to add to a few recent posts.

I've never ridden in a Boss. Got to spend time in HS in a '65 2+2 was it until my Bullitt. But what I've 'read' in magazines & numerous threads is the Boss was a pretty stiff street ride. It's focus was more on track performance compared to the other street focused cool editions and GT's.

So while I get having HID's & Active Alarm, loading it up with numerous GT amenities is not Ford's purpose for the Boss because of its legacy.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/15/10 at 08:06 PM.
Old 8/15/10, 08:02 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
One door panel with the Shaker sub that comes with the Sync system weighs about ~15lbs, the amp has to be good for another 5-7, multiply that by 2. The HIDs add about 5-600$ to the price, I'd rather put that money into other performance bits..
So maybe a total of 30 pounds? Not ground breaking really. All I'm saying is make it an option for those that still want a nicely optioned car.
Old 8/15/10, 08:14 PM
Cobra Member

Boomers want luxury and performance, look at all the other brands, they have it. Now if you want a ***** to the walls version, then it's the LS, the volume version has some of the bells just not the whistles and after the frenzy dies down, I guarantee the option's will appear to keep the dollars rolling in.

If you want to relive/revisit your youth you are probably a retired Boomer and ready to burn those Bucks on toys of your youth. Ford, GM, Chrysler and other automakers know this and are putting out bait for those dollars and they (Boomers) are biting.

I want a daily driver that looks mean,, is mean and COMFORTABLE as well,,so give me the option's now instead of later>>>PLEASE.

LQQK
Old 8/15/10, 08:19 PM
Post *****

OK. But I don't think those paint schemes are for old baby boomer's.

The Chally's R/T old school colors/stripes maybe.

But Ford went a bit bizzarro with their offerings for the new '11 Boss.
[to entice the younger crowd that needs a freakin' GPS thang in their soon to be scratched up screen in their dadgum dash. ]

I'm 54.
IMO

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/15/10 at 08:56 PM.
Old 8/15/10, 08:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Clino
I think the people that want all the bells and whistles on this car are just looking to buy it for the status or name, not for what it can do.

Just sayin'
I want it for the engine and suspension upgrades. Having the convenience features would help a lot in making my decision.
Old 8/15/10, 08:25 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,539 Likes on 1,874 Posts
Ah, Retrofit overload!

KC
Old 8/15/10, 08:34 PM

Thumbs up

Very well said. This car should NOT be optioned to the max unless it is an option that improves the performance of the car (speed, handling, etc.). I was looking to get a basic GT with the Brembos and that's it. I was worried the Boss would be loaded with cushy items like a Shelby, but Ford did right by the name and gave us this great car optioned for those of us concerned with speed and not showing off for the neighbors.

Originally Posted by Clino
I have to be honest, I really don't get all the people asking for premium options on this car. I think you are missing the point of what the Boss is about. They went to the trouble of removing 11 lbs of sound deadening. Why would they undo that by allowing it to optioned with a bunch of electronics?

If you want a fast car that handles well and comes with all the goodies, just order a GT Premium with the track pack. If you want a SERIOUS track car, you shouldn't care about Sync and HID headlights.

I think the people that want all the bells and whistles on this car are just looking to buy it for the status or name, not for what it can do.

Just sayin'
Old 8/15/10, 08:36 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
OK. But I don't think those paint schemes are for old baby boomer's.

The Chally's R/T old school colors maybe.

But Ford went a bit bizzarro with their offerings for the Boss.

I'm 54.
IMO
I agree, I'm struggling with color choice, I'm leaning towards White or maybe Yellow if I get a chance to see it in person on any model of car.

OT: I contacted over 20 Dealers this weekend and only one agreed to sell me a volume BOSS for MSRP, they all are waiting to make MARKET ADJUSTMENTS (Judging how much they can GOUGE),,so, if you want one of the first allotment's, better get busy.

LQQK
Old 8/15/10, 08:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TORQUERULES
Very well said. This car should NOT be optioned to the max unless it is an option that improves the performance of the car (speed, handling, etc.). I was looking to get a basic GT with the Brembos and that's it. I was worried the Boss would be loaded with cushy items like a Shelby, but Ford did right by the name and gave us this great car optioned for those of us concerned with speed and not showing off for the neighbors.
Then you should get a 302R....

LQQK
Old 8/15/10, 08:41 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by TORQUERULES
I don't think it's showing off to the neighbors. I just feel a car that will be priced in the upper 30's to lower 40's should have some level of comfort. I'm not asking for a Caddy or Mercedes level but for those of us that wont more comfort it should be an option. For those concerned with maintaining the purity of the Boss no options should also be an umm option lol.
Old 8/15/10, 08:47 PM
Post *****

I don't think it's showing off to the neighbors. I just feel a car that will be priced in the upper 30's to lower 40's should have some level of comfort.
A LOT of money went into the performance side for the limited number that will be produced.
To avoid an even higher price, then you can't have both.
Just get a Brembo GT and tweak it if you're coming from that side of the argument.

Believe me, I'm not a Boss buyer, I love my Bullitt's handling, ride comfort, and amenities (which are few compared to the GT).

But the Boss SE has been reserved (for years now...) for those that want a pretty hard race car that's street legal. That's what the Boss is, right?

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/15/10 at 08:49 PM.
Old 8/15/10, 08:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
A LOT of money went into the performance side for the limited number that will be produced.
Just get a Brembo GT and tweak it if you're coming from that side of the argument.

Believe me, I'm not a Boss buyer, I love my Bullitt's handling, ride comfort, and amenities (which are few compared to the GT).

But the Boss SE has been reserved (for years now...) for those that want a pretty hard race car that's street legal. That's what the Boss is, right?
Bingo!
Old 8/15/10, 08:53 PM
V6 Member

Not once did I say give me something for free. That's why I said make the extra things an option. You know that people will pay for? How does adding Sync or HIDS take away from the cars performance capabilities? Wasn't the Bullit supposed to be a stripped down version of a GT as well? Yet it still came fairly loaded didn't it?
Old 8/15/10, 08:56 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Ah, Retrofit overload!

KC
did you get my email....??
Old 8/15/10, 08:59 PM
FR500 Member

For those who want performance and luxury, hopefully there will be a Mach 1 in your future. Hands off the BOSS, thank you!
Old 8/15/10, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

They are comparing this car to an M3..why would they skimp on amenities. I would be shocked if it wasn't offered with Snyc, nav and the rest of the goodies. It also makes the car more profitable for Ford.

Dave
Old 8/15/10, 09:03 PM
Post *****

Wasn't the Bullit supposed to be a stripped down version of a GT as well? Yet it still came fairly loaded didn't it?
The '08 had 5 options. The '09 had less. For the whole car int & ext.

But you're right in the aspect of people paying up for the smorsgasboard.

However, that dilutes the Boss' legacy just like a hookered up Bullitt with stripes & spoilers & hood scoops is NOT Steve McQueens movie car.

Last edited by cdynaco; 8/15/10 at 09:06 PM.

Quick Reply: The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302