Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302

Old 8/20/10, 06:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SynisterGT View Post
The Boss starts life out as a base GT. No SYNC No Shaker 500 No Lether or Power Seats.

Going to be one sick car. To bad I don't have the money. Hopefully somehow I can get one.
Well are they going to have manual height adjustment?
I'm a tall guy so I need to lower the seat in my Mustang.

I think some of you guys are way off the mark. The Boss 302 LS might be more stripped down because it is designed for the track. But the regular Boss 302 is going to have some features. Ford wants to SELL these.
The price tag is going to be high enough that many people cannot afford one. If you can get more options and pay 10k less for a GT then Joe Average isn't going to understand why he should pay more for less car.
So these things will be sitting on dealer lots. And that would not be something Ford would want to see.

Sometimes we get blinders on and think the world sees things the same way we do- which it seldom does. No matter what the model of car at the end of the year the dealer lots are full of new cars that get sold at discounted prices. If you can wait it out there will always be deals to be had. The automakers do a pretty good job of hyping us all up so that we rush out to buy, they want impulse buyers. But at years end there are still plenty of cars to be had, even limited edition cars.

And one last point. The Boss 302 is 30lbs. heavier than a GT (and that's after 11lbs. of sound dampening material was removed), so if you really think the Boss is a stripped down GT without any options then Ford did a really poor job of reducing the weight of this car.

Last edited by Whammer; 8/20/10 at 07:48 AM.
Old 8/20/10, 06:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Whammer View Post
Well are they going to have manual height adjustment?
I'm a tall guy so I need to lower the seat in my Mustang.

I think some of you guys are way off the mark. The Boss 302 LS might be more stripped down because it is designed for the track. But the regular Boss 302 is going to have some features. Ford wants to SELL these.
The price tag is going to be high enough that many people cannot afford one. If you can get more options and pay 10k less for a GT then Joe Average isn't going to understand why he should pay more for less car.
So these things will be sitting on dealer lots. And that would not be something Ford would want to see.

Sometimes we get blinders on and think the world sees things the same way we do- which it seldom does. No matter what the model of car at the end of the year the dealer lots are full of new cars that get sold at discounted prices. If you can wait it out there will always be deals to be had. The automakers do a pretty good job of hyping us all up so that we rush out to buy, they want impulse buyers. But at years end there are still plenty of cars to be had, even limited edition cars.

And one last point. The Boss 302 is 30lbs. heavier than a GT (and that's after 11lbs. of sound damping material was removed), so if you really think the Boss is a stripped down GT without any options then Ford did a really poor job of reducing the weight of this car.
I would think that there would be a manual height adjustment. Afterall, these are still street cars and Joe Average may end up buying one. I suppose it depends on the Recaro's, the regular seats should have the height adjustment just like any other Mustang seat.

You bring up good points, the consumers in today's market place are NOT looking for what you or I are in nearly anything. When I worked at stereo shops in college, all I wanted to deal with were leather or vinyl covered enclosures, fiberglass fabricated and Audio Control tuned equipment and installation. No one else cares. When you get into sales, there is a reason you see all of these gimmicky slogans and sales propaganda. IT SELLS. I wish it weren't true but it is. Just like the Mustang, I am sure Ford would love to sell us all Boss 302R's for a decent price and we can terrorize the highways in them but the reality is that there are more people not into motor-sports that will still be buying a Mustang.

It's still unclear as to what the Boss actually will or will not have optioned other than the aforementioned specifics and I really do like the comforts that the GT offers with Sync, Shaker 500 and such. It might come down to what do I think this car will really do for me as I use it in daily life. I want a Competition Orange Boss so badly that I am starting a new savings account specifically for that Boss. I still fear that it's not going to be what I want for daily use.......oh what the hell, that's what I have the BMW for, if I want plush, it's got plush, I want raw unadulterated bad ***.

Lastly, if the Boss is a stripped GT as it may seem right now, the price may not be as terrible as many may think, but still much higher than a regular GT. As my estimate like others is in the high 39K area, w/o ADM. I will say that the Boss may not come with all the comforts I want, but it does come equiped with every option I do want, Adjustable Shocks/Struts, Short Throw, Lots-o-horsepower, torsen diff., possible rear seat delete with bracing, just cool side exit exhaust, Alcantara steering wheel, nifty gauge cluster. What's not to love?

Last edited by Automagically; 8/20/10 at 06:44 AM.
Old 8/20/10, 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think the manually adjustable shocks (as opposed to electronically adjustable) will put off alot of average joes. everyday i would keep them in the middle but i would hate to have to get out a screwdriver to switch to comfort everytime i went out to dinner with the lady friend.
Old 8/20/10, 07:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MSRP on a base GT with no options is $30,495. Since a lot of the Boss components are replacing existing components (engine, wheels, tires, shocks), you're not paying for those things twice as you do when you add aftermarket parts to a car. And given some of the things that will be deleted such as the fog lamps, sound deadening, and (presumably) the various wiring harnesses for Sync and so on, I think the rumored MSRP of $39K is probably very realistic. I'm sure some dealers will ADM these cars, at least for a while, but as was mentioned, Ford wants to sell these things. After all, they have a lot of R&D costs to pay off and the only way to do that is to sell the cars. So I think MSRP deals or maybe even a little less will be able to be had once the new wears off. And I think the new will wear off quickly, because these are not cars for Average Joe. Joe will buy a loaded up GT Premium for less money.
Old 8/20/10, 08:33 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
i think the manually adjustable shocks (as opposed to electronically adjustable) will put off alot of average joes. everyday i would keep them in the middle but i would hate to have to get out a screwdriver to switch to comfort everytime i went out to dinner with the lady friend.
Don't get me wrong, the electronic tuned suspension would be nice for the on-the-fly change for, like you said taking the lady out to dinner. Who knows, maybe she'll like it rough.
Old 8/20/10, 11:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
I dunno. I have adjustable shocks on my car, and for the street, it's set-em-and-forget-em.

The only time I make adjustments is at the track.
Old 8/20/10, 02:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 ^ on my last mustang i had tokico d specs and on the set i had them set in the middle and i only adjusted them at the track
Old 8/20/10, 05:46 PM
V6 Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 20115.0 View Post
+1 ^ on my last mustang i had tokico d specs and on the set i had them set in the middle and i only adjusted them at the track
+2 I adjust my Tokico's for track only. Could care less about electric seats. I'm tall, so before I ditched my stock electric seats for Corbeau's, they stayed adjusted back/down as far as they would go.

I'm hoping that actual real world weight numbers end up lower then a GT.
Old 8/20/10, 06:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by striker GT View Post
The Boss 302 is 30lbs. heavier than a GT.
Old 8/20/10, 06:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by striker GT View Post
+2 I adjust my Tokico's for track only. Could care less about electric seats. I'm tall, so before I ditched my stock electric seats for Corbeau's, they stayed adjusted back/down as far as they would go.

intrestingly enough, in my 05 GT i too always had my seat all the way down and back(6'2''). When i test drove the new 5.0 i actually had to move the seat toward the front a little bit.
Old 8/20/10, 07:27 PM
Cobra Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OT: This thread is getting the most attention on the BOSS 302, so I'll ask here.

Are any of you following discussions concerning 2012 BOSS 302 at other sites, I like this site and would like to include some more research tools, what sites are worth checking out, also which magazines are the one's to subscribe to for the Mustang?

If this is out of line, I'll gladly delete post.

LQQK
Old 8/20/10, 11:25 PM
FR500 Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This appears to be some B-roll footage from the Laguna Seca reveal. The video quality isn't great, but there isn't any music at least.
Old 8/21/10, 12:50 AM
Cobra Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PTRocks View Post
This appears to be some B-roll footage from the Laguna Seca reveal. The video quality isn't great, but there isn't any music at least.
Sweet, much better without the music.

LQQK
Old 8/21/10, 01:15 AM
GT Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonW View Post
MSRP on a base GT with no options is $30,495. Since a lot of the Boss components are replacing existing components (engine, wheels, tires, shocks), you're not paying for those things twice as you do when you add aftermarket parts to a car. And given some of the things that will be deleted such as the fog lamps, sound deadening, and (presumably) the various wiring harnesses for Sync and so on, I think the rumored MSRP of $39K is probably very realistic. I'm sure some dealers will ADM these cars, at least for a while, but as was mentioned, Ford wants to sell these things. After all, they have a lot of R&D costs to pay off and the only way to do that is to sell the cars. So I think MSRP deals or maybe even a little less will be able to be had once the new wears off. And I think the new will wear off quickly, because these are not cars for Average Joe. Joe will buy a loaded up GT Premium for less money.
One thing that you have to remember is that most major companies don't turn a profit on there top end models, in fact they are happy if they break even. The goal for a limited production model of anything is to help improve the brands image and to sell the lower cost models. The Boss will peak interest because of it's performance and exclusivity. It adds credibility of the mustang being a top performance vehicle. Many people may not be able to afford the Boss, but guess what, they will probably end up purchasing a GT or a V6 model, because now they got Mustang fever. Either way, Ford wins.
It's just like the cost of putting out a factory race team, they are definitely not making money there, but it helps R&D, improves the brands image, and will definitely sell cars. (providing the team does well)

There is no doubt that this car will have dealer mark-ups, but I know that a few dealers will sell for MSRP. I really doubt that you will be able to get this car lower then MSRP the first year run, maybe the 2013's, when interest starts to fade.

Based on what I've heard from some friends who know people at Ford, the base price of the
standard Boss 302 will be $38,800 not including destination and the options that will be available.
The Laguna Seca will be $41,200. I believe that to be true Expect dealers to be tacking on $3k - $5K mark ups. This car will fit right between the GT Premium and the $49,000 base price Shelby GT500. They price it too high and it will hurt the sales of the Shelby GT500. Don't think for a second that guys who would be in the market for a Shelby wouldn't consider buying the Boss. Heck, I'm one of them. Think about what I slightly used 2011 Shelby with the SVT performance pack will be going for next spring. Personally, I'm still leaning toward the Boss, because I use to own one, so there are a lot of fond memories that go along with the term Boss 302.
Old 8/21/10, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got the chance to see this in person last night. Very cool looking. The LS is definitely growing on me.

The side stripes are decals, as is the hood cover. The Recaro seats look amazing in person, and I will try to get a set ASAP for my GT once it comes in. I'll post up pics later once I get back from the Woodward cruise again.
Old 8/21/10, 12:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Don't know if these have ben posted yet... A bit of a look underneath and the engine bay.

Old 8/21/10, 12:21 PM
FR500 Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool, so who's shocks are blue?
Old 8/21/10, 12:23 PM
Cobra Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PTRocks View Post
Cool, so who's shocks are blue?
My Ford Racing shocks are blue.
Old 8/21/10, 12:28 PM
Fatboy Loves Fried!
TMS Staff

Liked 139 Times in 119 Posts
I still want to get my hands on one of those differential covers. Looks to be same a GT500 SVT PP.
Old 8/21/10, 12:36 PM
FR500 Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs View Post
I still want to get my hands on one of those differential covers. Looks to be same a GT500 SVT PP.
KC had sourced one already. The issue at the time was that the bolts were priced at something like 12$ EACH.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.