Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/10, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford did a great job with this car. Can't wait to see what all the color combos look like and what options they are going to offer with it. The GT500 is too much for me to afford, so I hope Ford prices this one right above a GT. Now I have a year to talk the wife into it.
Old 8/15/10, 02:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I agree. Sync, HIDs, and a Security Package would/should be available (or standard features) in a higher tier car like this. I say that with the assumption that the parts necessary to add those to the vehicle add no significant weight to the car (<5 lbs).
I also agree. If Ford would offer a Mustang like this, but in the 40-42k range, then it would be a nice addition. The Cobra is too far overpriced compared to a GT.

I'd like a nice Boss package option for the GT that may cost about $5k. I don't need all of the racing components and performance, but rather just a little more than the GT offers now.
Old 8/15/10, 02:50 PM

Do any of you insiders know when us common folk will get details on price and production for this beauty? I think some of the questions most want answered are:

Cost of these babies?
Production #s
AND, if possible, whether we'll see a 2013 Boss (perhaps with the 1970 appearance).
Old 8/15/10, 03:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree. Sync, HIDs, and a Security Package would/should be available (or standard features) in a higher tier car like this. I say that with the assumption that the parts necessary to add those to the vehicle add no significant weight to the car (<5 lbs).
I presume those options were deemed too "cushy" for the racing heritage DNA they were after.
Old 8/15/10, 03:43 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eas9898
I also agree. If Ford would offer a Mustang like this, but in the 40-42k range, then it would be a nice addition. The Cobra is too far overpriced compared to a GT.

I'd like a nice Boss package option for the GT that may cost about $5k. I don't need all of the racing components and performance, but rather just a little more than the GT offers now.
I hope that Ford realizes that those options are in high demand and uptake on the GT, so in essence, the Boss would benefit from those as well. Like I said earlier, if they don't drive the weight up more than a few lbs., then I hope they'll give it a second thought. They did make HIDs standard on the GT500, and I'd personally love to see the HIDs standard on a GT premium, so anything that will slot above that should have them as well. Especially considering it won't have the driving lights of the base GT.

Same goes with the Security package. The ultrasonic sensors and wheel locks should be standard fare on a limited production vehicle. I would want that for insurance to see that the car is being protected in some form. Sync would be nice too, and I think the only difference in the radio units is the addition of the microphone on the rear view mirror, and the additional button/wiring for the steering wheel.
Old 8/15/10, 04:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Couple question:

1. What size are the exhaust tips?
2. Are these GT500 mufflers or a completely new design?
Old 8/15/10, 04:15 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SynisterGT
Couple question:

1. What size are the exhaust tips?
2. Are these GT500 mufflers or a completely new design?
Reads to me like they're the stock '11 5.0 mufflers.

“With an exhaust system, we have to consider three constraints: legal noise restrictions; backpressure, which can rob power; and ground clearance,” explains Shawn Carney, Mustang NVH engineer. “Since the 2011 Mustang GT exhaust is already so free-flowing – it came in way under our backpressure targets – we already had excellent performance; we were able to tune the exhaust system for a unique sound. Combined with the rush of the intake, the exhaust system really envelops the driver in V8 sound.
Every Boss features a unique quad exhaust system: Two outlets exit in the rear similar to a standard Mustang GT. The other two outlets exit to either side of the exhaust crossover, sending exhaust through a set of metal discs that act as tuning elements before the pipes terminate just ahead of the rear wheel opening. Visually subtle, the side pipes flow very little exhaust but a lot of exhaust sound, providing a sonic experience unlike any other Mustang – and giving home tuners an additional avenue for modification.
Old 8/15/10, 04:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I hope that Ford realizes that those options are in high demand and uptake on the GT, so in essence, the Boss would benefit from those as well. Like I said earlier, if they don't drive the weight up more than a few lbs., then I hope they'll give it a second thought. They did make HIDs standard on the GT500, and I'd personally love to see the HIDs standard on a GT premium, so anything that will slot above that should have them as well. Especially considering it won't have the driving lights of the base GT.
I wonder if they did it for weight, really. I would think the amps for the Shaker 500 would be the "heavy" components. I suppose the additional hardware for the HIDs might add some weight, but perhaps they are working more on the price and keeping the car "racy".

Same goes with the Security package. The ultrasonic sensors and wheel locks should be standard fare on a limited production vehicle. I would want that for insurance to see that the car is being protected in some form. Sync would be nice too, and I think the only difference in the radio units is the addition of the microphone on the rear view mirror, and the additional button/wiring for the steering wheel.
Agree on the security package, although you get locking lug nuts by themselves for $50. And I bet Sync is more "cushy" in terms of the car's character.

I assume the Ford marketing and sales people are aware of the current option uptake. These are some good questions to ask the Mustang engineers at Mustang Alley this coming weekend!
Old 8/15/10, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
I assume the Ford marketing and sales people are aware of the current option uptake. These are some good questions to ask the Mustang engineers at Mustang Alley this coming weekend!
I hope so. I'd like HID's, Sync, and the security package. The Shaker 500 would be nice, too, but I can live without it and get some aftermarket speakers if need be, unless the Shaker 500 is required with Sync.

I'd like those options, and to those people who don't want 'em, don't order the car with 'em. Just give me the option to have those options and I'll be happy.
Old 8/15/10, 06:32 PM

I don't see options like the big stereo system happening - remember the objective of this SE. I'm sure Ford would prefer people that want things like HIDs and premium sound to spend more bucks on a Shelby.

There are plenty of Mustang options to get a well packaged setup, but I can see Ford wanting to keep the options list focused on strictly business - kicking *** on the track.
Old 8/15/10, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have to be honest, I really don't get all the people asking for premium options on this car. I think you are missing the point of what the Boss is about. They went to the trouble of removing 11 lbs of sound deadening. Why would they undo that by allowing it to optioned with a bunch of electronics?

If you want a fast car that handles well and comes with all the goodies, just order a GT Premium with the track pack. If you want a SERIOUS track car, you shouldn't care about Sync and HID headlights.

I think the people that want all the bells and whistles on this car are just looking to buy it for the status or name, not for what it can do.

Just sayin'
Old 8/15/10, 07:09 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Clino
I have to be honest, I really don't get all the people asking for premium options on this car. I think you are missing the point of what the Boss is about. They went to the trouble of removing 11 lbs of sound deadening. Why would they undo that by allowing it to optioned with a bunch of electronics?

If you want a fast car that handles well and comes with all the goodies, just order a GT Premium with the track pack. If you want a SERIOUS track car, you shouldn't care about Sync and HID headlights.

I think the people that want all the bells and whistles on this car are just looking to buy it for the status or name, not for what it can do.

Just sayin'
I'm not sure why we cant have a car that performs at a high level at the track and still have many of the creature comforts found on other premium mustangs. Most cars in the GT's price bracket that are performance minded(EVO, STI etc) are still track inspired but have options like NAV HIDS etc.. Not sure why we have to receive less. For those that dont want it let them opt out of it. For those that do like me let us get them.
Old 8/15/10, 07:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Not necessarily. There are track versions of the Evo, STi, and Genesis Coupe that delete the HIDs, power seats, etc.
Old 8/15/10, 07:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yep...to "keep it pure" and reflect the heritage, I assume this was a marketing and engineering decision to keep these items off the car. I also assume that the manufacturing complexity to support a lot of that option flexibility was a consideration. I thought I read somewhere that the 11 lbs of sound insulation was also so your could hear the car's noise better too.

Yep.

Just sayin'
I think it is interesting to see which options are appealing to what customers, based on their age and experience with the luxury items offered to make the Mustang competitive in the current market. If folks have ever driven a track car as a daily driver, living day in and day out with some of the "rough edges" would be detracting. On the race course, it's a different experience.

I see the Boss Mustang as something you can drive back and forth to your performance driving event with A/C and some music so the commute is reasonable. The 2000 Cobra R, to which people have compared the Leguna Seca Boss Mustang, is a definite lesser level of "cush". The standard Boss is a step up in "cush" but still reflects a high performance driving purpose.
Old 8/15/10, 07:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Not necessarily. There are track versions of the Evo, STi, and Genesis Coupe that delete the HIDs, power seats, etc.
There are also versions with the goodies. My buddies 06 STI has racing seats and NAV. Not sure why the BOSS cant have the same.. Personally I dont really care about the nav. But it would be nice to have Sync. But i'll save my final opinion for when I get to see one in person.

Last edited by Jchandler; 8/15/10 at 07:24 PM.
Old 8/15/10, 07:28 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jchandler
I'm not sure why we cant have a car that performs at a high level at the track and still have many of the creature comforts found on other premium mustangs. Most cars in the GT's price bracket that are performance minded(EVO, STI etc) are still track inspired but have options like NAV HIDS etc.. Not sure why we have to receive less. For those that dont want it let them opt out of it. For those that do like me let us get them.
+1

Those who want the components should have the option. What? just because I want sirius radio and a navigation means I can't have a serious track machine as well?
Old 8/15/10, 07:30 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Reads to me like they're the stock '11 5.0 mufflers.
They aren't the stock 11 GT mufflers. Not sure which ones they are, but the tips are bigger.
Old 8/15/10, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jchandler
There are also versions with the goodies. My buddies 06 STI has racing seats and NAV. Not sure why the BOSS cant have the same.. Personally I dont really care about the nav. But it would be nice to have Sync. But i'll save my final opinion for when I get to see one in person.
??? There are plenty of versions of the Stang with the goodies too? With the cars you are mentioning, consider the boss as a competitor to the Genesis R-spec and Evo RS.

Heck, A/C and stereo delete seems to be out the questions these days, but I'd still run to my Ford dealer to order a Boss if they offered the car sans these features. If anything, the non-LS Boss may be the most consumer friendly, street legal track car ever offered.

My current favorite car, the 95' M3 LTW was great, but that did delete the A/C and tunes.

Ford is not messing around these days with their home runs.
Old 8/15/10, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by N8dawg
+1

Those who want the components should have the option. What? just because I want sirius radio and a navigation means I can't have a serious track machine as well?
As previously mentioned, if Ford engineers are scouring the car to save ANY pound of weight they can, you may be waiting a long time for the 'premium' Boss to come down the line. Fortunately, you can have a serious track machine in the GT/Track Pack, loaded to the hilt.
Old 8/15/10, 07:43 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by trahsub
??? There are plenty of versions of the Stang with the goodies too? With the cars you are mentioning, consider the boss as a competitor to the Genesis R-spec and Evo RS.

Heck, A/C and stereo delete seems to be out the questions these days, but I'd still run to my Ford dealer to order a Boss if they offered the car sans these features. If anything, the non-LS Boss may be the most consumer friendly, street legal track car ever offered.

My current favorite car, the 95' M3 LTW was great, but that did delete the A/C and tunes.

Ford is not messing around these days with their home runs.
I agree there are plenty of versions of Stangs with the goodies but not in the GT price spectrum which speculation the BOSS will be. Roush, Saleen, Shelby all are in the mid 40's to mid 50 price range which i hope will be above what a non LS Boss will cost. The genesis R spec is a $24k car an EVO X RS is a 27k car.. Its not surprising they don't come with goodies. But I would expect a 36-45k car(which is what I'm expecting the Boss to be) to have some goodies to go along with the performance.

Quick Reply: The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302