Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 8/16/10, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't specify which electronics and creature comforts. I meant them in general. I don't have an issue with HIDs and a good radio. When you want an 8" NAV screen, heated power seats, DVD capabilities, etc etc, then I draw the line. Good lights and sound. No biggie. After all, as you have stated, they did have them before. It's the additional extra items that don't need to be on a performance focused car. After all, they removed the rear seat, why would you need an 8" NAV screen?
Old 8/16/10, 02:32 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Ice Hawk
I didn't specify which electronics and creature comforts. I meant them in general. I don't have an issue with HIDs and a good radio. When you want an 8" NAV screen, heated power seats, DVD capabilities, etc etc, then I draw the line. Good lights and sound. No biggie. After all, as you have stated, they did have them before. It's the additional extra items that don't need to be on a performance focused car. After all, they removed the rear seat, why would you need an 8" NAV screen?
Ahh gotcha. I agree. I can live without that as well. Sorry if i'm coming off a little rough.. It's 4 am and im still at work
Old 8/16/10, 03:10 AM
GT Member

This will be a daily driver for me, as was my 1970 Boss 302 . it will see about 5-6 track days a year. The majority of the time will be at legal speed limits on public streets. (maybe ) I think HID lights are a performance feature and not just fluff. I have a 2007 Mini Cooper Turbo, 2009 370Z, and the wife's 2009 IS350. All 3 of these cars have HID lights, Nav, Push button start, etc. When I drive a car without HID's I can really see the lack in night time performance. I've been use to these features for 3 years now, and on a brand new 2012, I almost expect them. A lot of people say just to get an optioned out GT, but I will on occasion take this to the track and I really would like the stronger internals and performance of the Boss.

Here is the thing, there are 2 boss mustangs, the standard and the Laguna Seca. Why would't they offer the creature comforts as an option on the standard model and make the LS the all out track car?
This makes more sense too me, give the standard model the options, make the LS the stripped down version.

Last edited by Minicobra; 8/16/10 at 03:14 AM.
Old 8/16/10, 03:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Jchandler
No i don't disillusion myself into thinking that a $500 no weight adding option cant be had on a track/street car. The original 69 Boss wasn't some stripped down shell of a car. Take a 5 minute google search and you will see the interior was relatively nice for the times.. It had leather and what looks like a fairly premium radio for the time. Not hard to give us now in 2010.

Show me one post where I have said anything about the exterior styling of the car and asking for tape and stripes. I ask for two things Sync and HIDS neither of which make the car any less of a performance vehicle.

Sounds like what you want is the low production LS and are being too cheap to buy one so you want to make the Base high volume one into a pure track car. Every Boss 302 that I've goggled has leather/premium radio.. So sounds like the legend you keep referring to has exactly what I want and you may want to re-define the history you are clinging to. They didn't seem to think in 69 that leather/radio sacrifice performance or made it into a tape/stripe package.

http://happycarz.com/pics_and_descp.php?id=829

http://www.showyourauto.com/am/listings/l0281.html

http://www.prestigemotorcar.com/inve...-cars/boss-302

http://www.mustangreview.com/1969boss302.htm

http://www.classiccarstudio.com/vehi...?vehicle_ID=88

http://www.oldride.com/classic_cars/257956.html

http://www.bcautos.com/bestofshow/19...tang_boss.html

So sorry if I don't get why having an option for leather/radio takes one single thing away from the performance of this car, when in the past it didn't. We just have to agree to disagree.
It's true that this car is a street car, and is not the R model, so it should have some comforts.

I just think that basically, Ford had to make a decision where to draw the line with options, and that line is fine with me and not quite right to you. Fair enough. My last two Mustangs were a 69 coupe and a 90 LX 5.0. Neither of which even had A/C. I just don't care about that sort of stuff on a Mustang. I think they probably did it the way they did because they wanted to keep the Boss more distinct from the TP GT and below the price of the GT500, and also to make it obvious what this car is designed for which I think is cool.

So yeah, we can agree to disagree.
Old 8/16/10, 04:13 AM
GT Member

I sure wish they change there mind on the color options for the standard model. Add Black or Sterling Gray, that would be great! The Orange is awesome though, and the others colors look good, but maybe a bit too flashy, I've always liked a stealthy looking car.

I wonder if the side stripes will be reflective, like the originals.
Old 8/16/10, 04:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Minicobra
I sure wish they change there mind on the color options for the standard model. Add Black or Sterling Gray, that would be great! The Orange is awesome though, and the others colors look good, but maybe a bit too flashy, I've always liked a stealthy looking car.

I wonder if the side stripes will be reflective, like the originals.
What do you mean reflective?
There is competition orange and it wasnt featured in the press pics. You can see it on the Boss 302R.
Old 8/16/10, 04:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to be picky but I don't think any of the original Boss Mustangs were available with leather interiors.

http://classicponycars.com/special.html

Leather may have been available on Shelbys at the time, not sure about that one. One other interesting historical fact is that 1970 was the last year for the original run of Shelby Mustangs. The Boss Mustangs had become the top of the line models by 1970 and Ford had taken over Shelby production a couple of years earlier. As a matter of fact, the 1970 models were left over 69s that had new VIN numbers assigned so they could be sold as 70s. I wonder if history might repeat itself on this one too?
Old 8/16/10, 04:37 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Minicobra
This will be a daily driver for me, as was my 1970 Boss 302 . it will see about 5-6 track days a year. The majority of the time will be at legal speed limits on public streets. (maybe ) I think HID lights are a performance feature and not just fluff. I have a 2007 Mini Cooper Turbo, 2009 370Z, and the wife's 2009 IS350. All 3 of these cars have HID lights, Nav, Push button start, etc. When I drive a car without HID's I can really see the lack in night time performance. I've been use to these features for 3 years now, and on a brand new 2012, I almost expect them. A lot of people say just to get an optioned out GT, but I will on occasion take this to the track and I really would like the stronger internals and performance of the Boss.

Here is the thing, there are 2 boss mustangs, the standard and the Laguna Seca. Why would't they offer the creature comforts as an option on the standard model and make the LS the all out track car?
This makes more sense too me, give the standard model the options, make the LS the stripped down version.
I agree, I don't see why the regular boss can't have a few luxury options (sync, satellite radio, anti-theft system, and HID's) that are options for those that want them. The Laguna Seca Boss should definitely be the more hardcore version with with performance only options.
Old 8/16/10, 04:46 AM
V6 Member

N
Originally Posted by blksn8k
Not to be picky but I don't think any of the original Boss Mustangs were available with leather interiors.

http://classicponycars.com/special.html

Leather may have been available on Shelbys at the time, not sure about that one. One other interesting historical fact is that 1970 was the last year for the original run of Shelby Mustangs. The Boss Mustangs had become the top of the line models by 1970 and Ford had taken over Shelby production a couple of years earlier. As a matter of fact, the 1970 models were left over 69s that had new VIN numbers assigned so they could be sold as 70s. I wonder if history might repeat itself on this one too?
Not to come off harsh but did you even look at the link you posted. On the front page it specifically states the boss came with all mustang interior options.....

Along with the links to pics of actual Boss 302 interiors with leather.
Old 8/16/10, 04:49 AM

Just like if people really need to save that 20 pounds can have them removed.. Point is why not let it be a factory option to have it if wanted? Believe me I'm not downplaying the car. I think it is awesome. Simple discussion on things we hope to see in the final production version/option lists.
Luckily, Ford did this for us, and they deserve thanks for doing so. Instead of loading the car down with creature comforts that don't necessarily jive with the intent of this particular model, Ford saved us the cost (both in weight and money). Why pay for the additional features if you're just going to rip them out anyway? How many times in recent history have enthusiasts asked for a stripped down Mustang with upgraded performance all around? We finally get it, and still there are complaints.

Seriously, I think some of you are missing the point of this model. Mabe you need to hold out for the new Mustang Grande? I hear it'll come with heated/cooled leather seats; power adjustable pedals, steering wheel, antenna, mirrors, seats; a glare/smudge free 10" touch screen nav system, and 10% discount cards to Starbucks and Sharper Image.
Old 8/16/10, 05:05 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by black_bullitt
Luckily, Ford did this for us, and they deserve thanks for doing so. Instead of loading the car down with creature comforts that don't necessarily jive with the intent of this particular model, Ford saved us the cost (both in weight and money). Why pay for the additional features if you're just going to rip them out anyway? How many times in recent history have enthusiasts asked for a stripped down Mustang with upgraded performance all around? We finally get it, and still there are complaints.

Seriously, I think some of you are missing the point of this model. Mabe you need to hold out for the new Mustang Grande? I hear it'll come with heated/cooled leather seats; power adjustable pedals, steering wheel, antenna, mirrors, seats; a glare/smudge free 10" touch screen nav system, and 10% discount cards to Starbucks and Sharper Image.
I see reading comprehension escapes you. I said let us have the option. Meaning on a base boss furs luxury items like hids, sync, and leather can be added by those who want them and left off for those who don't.

His model is meant to be a boss.. a bad *** street car just like it was in 69.. and even back then it had all the comforts. So why not now.
Old 8/16/10, 06:01 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Clino
And for those that still insist that the Boss should be available with luxury options, explain why a Track Pack GT wouldn't do?
Because "I" want a BOSS ENGINE and NAME PLATE to make my Neighbor's drool with envy>

I could, if I wanted to spend more money, get another M3 or a just announced 2011 Infiniti IPL G Coupe, which are performance orientated and full of creature comforts and trust me Ford is hoping to cut into that market.

I bet by the time we are able to actually sit down and order one of the two BOSS 302s, Ford will have tweaked the option availability list to include more DAILY DRIVER type options for the BOSS 302 and maybe the "Ultimate BOSS 302 LS" (From press release) will remain the same or offer just one front seat!

They did not make/resurrect the BOSS name plate strictly for the track and those on that side of the fence will have to get over it and come to the reality that this car is a compromise between both camps (Street & Track) and my side of the fence wants options and your side will have the choice of not ordering those options,,,I know the other side of the fence understands the definition of options.

LQQK
Old 8/16/10, 06:08 AM
Bullitt Member

You know, if push comes to shove, I can probably add the stangmods.com HID upgrade kit (are they any good?), plus the wheel locks and anti-theft system from the accessories catalog.

Now, can I retrofit the Sync and Sirius modules into Mustangs not equipped with them? 05stangkc, help me out here.
Old 8/16/10, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by LQQK
Because "I" want a BOSS ENGINE and NAME PLATE to make my Neighbor's drool with envy>

I could, if I wanted to spend more money, get another M3 or a just announced 2011 Infiniti IPL G Coupe, which are performance orientated and full of creature comforts and trust me Ford is hoping to cut into that market.

I bet by the time we are able to actually sit down and order one of the two BOSS 302s, Ford will have tweaked the option availability list to include more DAILY DRIVER type options for the BOSS 302 and maybe the "Ultimate BOSS 302 LS" (From press release) will remain the same or offer just one front seat!

They did not make/resurrect the BOSS name plate strictly for the track and those on that side of the fence will have to get over it and come to the reality that this car is a compromise between both camps (Street & Track) and my side of the fence wants options and your side will have the choice of not ordering those options,,,I know the other side of the fence understands the definition of options.

LQQK
Does Ford need to tweak the options? Not at all. They are going to have absolutely no problem moving every one of these cars, and since this will not be a high volume model, they likely won't spend one ounce of effort to update what the car may come with. If there are dusty Boss stangs sitting on lots at below invoice prices b/c people didn't like their lack of options, I'll eat much crow as you send me :-)

They probably (guessing here) would have still been able to move 3,xxx copies without even A/C or a radio.

Last edited by trahsub; 8/16/10 at 06:18 AM.
Old 8/16/10, 06:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by trahsub
Does Ford need to tweak the options? Not at all. They are going to have absolutely no problem moving every one of these cars, and since this will not be a high volume model, they likely won't spend one ounce of effort to update what the car may come with. If there are dusty Boss stangs sitting on lots at below invoice prices b/c people didn't like their lack of options, I'll eat much crow as you send me :-)

They probably (guessing here) would have still been able to move 3,xxx copies without even A/C or a radio.
I'll send you a Feast of Crows fit for a King>>

Your right, Ford could sell quite a few stripped down versions but they along with the stock holders, demand profits and that's gonna come with volume sales not just the gear-head market.

LQQK
Old 8/16/10, 06:44 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by blksn8k
Ok, so we are talking about a race car for the street, right? But if history repeats itself, and that seems to be Ford's goal here as well, then perhaps the next model year will repeat some of what happened with the original Boss cars. The 69 was not much more than a street legal race car. Even the valve sizes in the heads came straight from the track and the car had few options, especially appearance items. Then in 1970 Ford changed the appearance to match the rest of the 70 lineup as well as add the 70 Grabber colors and more options like the Shaker hood, rear window slats, chrome Magnum 500 wheels, etc. They also reduced the valve sizes to make the engine more streetable by improving the lower RPM torque output. One has to assume they made these changes to make the car appeal to a larger audience. My guess is they will follow a similar path with the 2013 Boss, assuming there is one. I really don't care about more creature comforts but if I could just get Grabber Blue with the 70 style stripes I would be at the dealer tomorrow. They are using both stripe styles (69 & 70) on the Grand Am cars now so why not give us both choices on the street cars?
Here's a pic from Monterey this weekend that you will like. Credit to Autoblog
Old 8/16/10, 06:48 AM

I see reading comprehension escapes you. I said let us have the option. Meaning on a base boss furs luxury items like hids, sync, and leather can be added by those who want them and left off for those who don't.

His model is meant to be a boss.. a bad *** street car just like it was in 69.. and even back then it had all the comforts. So why not now.
My reading comprehension is fine, thank you. You'll notice in a previous post of mine, I said if these things mean so much to you, you can have them added at the dealer. Therefore, one could say they were... "options"? I know, it's tough to 'comprehend' the difference between factory options and dealer options. Crazy....

I support you wanting to make a vehicle your own, with whatever options make you happy. (And for the record, I wouldn't mind seeing leather trimeed Recaro's as an option.) I just think that requesting certain options indicates you've missed the point of the vehicle. The BOSS is a purpose built, performance oriented track car. Certain things just don't need to go in a track car, whether it's streetable or not. Asking for all the electronics and nav stuff in the BOSS IMO is like someone requesting the SVT Raptor come with the option to add wifi, heated/cooled cupholders, and an a/c outlet to plug your laptop into.

You'll have to help me find where the '69 Boss had "all the comforts", because I'm not finding anything past vinyl seats and AM radio in my searches. In contrast, the 2012 BOSS has an AM/FM/CD (assuming it's MP3), and oh look, there's even a button for Sirius radio.
Old 8/16/10, 06:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by black_bullitt

It's called offering OPTIONS!!!!

If you don't want that on the car fine. However, all the work for those options have been done on the GT. Why not offer them to us that want them. Sync should pretty much be standard on every Ford car by now. I doubt it's going to make one bit of difference on performance. I'd probably do more by skipping a meal.

I swear there must be a group of guys that just want to live in 1968 in terms of car options. Maybe they should offer manual windows....

Last edited by bpmurr; 8/16/10 at 06:52 AM.
Old 8/16/10, 06:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by PTRocks
I like the looks of the '69 Boss 302 better, IMHO. Must be the front bumper.
Old 8/16/10, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by PTRocks
ZOMFG they have NO headlights?!?!?!

Thank God they had the option to upgrade!!

Quick Reply: The Boss is Back! 2012 Boss 302