2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/10, 08:49 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wonder what kind of parts they are? What do they do with the non-conforming parts? re-machine or scrap?
Nothing you can do with the "too light" parts.
Old 5/20/10, 07:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Overboost
Some of us did learn how to drive, and others chose to just grab a steering wheel, maybe a cell phone, makeup, etc. You can't lump the masses together though. They're as diverse as a group as this forum is as a part of that group.
Like I wrote, most enthusiasts do not fall into the steering wheel category, but we only make up a small portion of mustang drivers.

If you choose to learn about someone elses vehicle, how is that going to help you when/if they hit you head on?
Knowing what someone else's vehicle is capable of or, maybe more importantly, not capable of can make all the difference in your planned reaction if something were to go wrong. If you are watching the road and identify potential hazards, ie high horsepower RWD vehicles in rain or snow, or ill maintained vehicles, or if there is debris in the road, you can plan on how you would react if their car swerved. A RWD vehicle will likely lose the backend, while a FWD vehicle might slide the nose. If a car is equipped with forced induction loses tracking they are going to spin out quicker since the car will build boost quickly while the engine revs due to the lack of friction. All things that come from knowing the "other guy's" car.

I guess while I respect your opinion, I don't think the "sky is falling" and all cars are boxes of death approach makes sense.
I appreciate this. Most cars are still quite safe albeit heavy. What worries me are the light weight high horse / torque cars. 2011 is not much heavier then the 04 GT (3483 vs 3317), but sports around 150 more horses. And while that makes for some awesome track numbers and great burnouts, it also will make it more difficult to control, particularly in poor weather. The ESC and TC will help and probably in the end be overall safer than the 04, but it still worries me.

I agree the sky is not falling. I do think Ford would do well to add an entry level mustang with the basic 180-200 Hp. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by jarradasay; 5/20/10 at 07:22 AM.
Old 5/20/10, 08:49 AM
Cobra Member

I wouldn't want to bog down the Mustang line-up with an entry level 180-200hp car. But, I think an ecoboost 4 banger in the 250-280hp range would be interesting.
Old 5/20/10, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I only have ONE major suggestion for Ford, especially in reference to the Mustang, get rid of the fat people seats. They do not need to be so wide.
Old 5/20/10, 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GTJOHN
I wouldn't want to bog down the Mustang line-up with an entry level 180-200hp car. But, I think an ecoboost 4 banger in the 250-280hp range would be interesting.
I don't get bogging down? Then entry level mustang for the last two models has been this range, and I don't think it bogged down the line up.
Old 5/20/10, 10:49 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by jarradasay
I don't get bogging down? Then entry level mustang for the last two models has been this range, and I don't think it bogged down the line up.
The old models didn't, but the Mustang just made two giant leaps forward with the new V6 & V8.
Going backwards doesn't make any sense at all unless a 4 banger is involved, and even that is questionable.

Why drop a 4 banger in the Mustang when you can buy a $22,145 305hp V6 that gets 31mpg?
I think dropping a 250-280hp 4 banger is an interesting thought, because I am a fan of the SVO Mustang. But, in no way was I suggesting Ford "should" do that.

If they ever do that, I hope its a SVO tribute. Special styling, handling package etc. Highly doubt it will be cheaper than the current V6 Mustang. MPG, would be about the same or worse considering the weight of the car.
Old 5/20/10, 11:00 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Why drop a 4 banger in the Mustang when you can buy a $22,145 305hp V6 that gets 31mpg?
I think dropping a 250-280hp 4 banger is an interesting thought, because I am a fan of the SVO Mustang. But, in no way was I suggesting Ford "should" do that.
IF the 4 banger can get the car moving at the same/more and get better MPG I don't see why it would be a problem. (especially if the car is lighter)

I'm not sure if you'd see people using the 'if it doesn't have a V6 I won't buy the base car'
like we do about the GT having an 8. (which I don't see going ANYWHERE in the forseable future)

The only downside is that Fords marketting would have to explain to the Joe Public that even though it has less HP, it performs = to or better than the previous model, AND gets better gas mileage.

Last edited by Boomer; 5/20/10 at 11:01 AM.
Old 5/20/10, 11:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
IF the 4 banger can get the car moving at the same/more and get better MPG I don't see why it would be a problem. (especially if the car is lighter)

I'm not sure if you'd see people using the 'if it doesn't have a V6 I won't buy the base car'
like we do about the GT having an 8. (which I don't see going ANYWHERE in the forseable future)

The only downside is that Fords marketting would have to explain to the Joe Public that even though it has less HP, it performs = to or better than the previous model, AND gets better gas mileage.
Thats a pretty big "IF". I see it costing Ford more money to mod the 4 to reach the performance level of the current 6.

If gas prices get insanely high again, Ford may think 4. But, you can bet the performance will not match the current 6. People won't care either, especially if they have to pay over $5.00 a gallon.

Speaking of the V8 GT. That's the only type of Stang that I've ever owned. But, I am curious about a TTV6. I bet you the performance numbers would be close to the 5.0
Old 5/20/10, 11:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thats a pretty big "IF". I see it costing Ford more money to mod the 4 to reach the performance level of the current 6.

If gas prices get insanely high again, Ford may think 4. But, you can bet the performance will not match the current 6. People won't care either, especially if they have to pay over $5.00 a gallon.
If by current 6 you mean the antique 4.0, then 200 hp fours are out there. Not a huge stretch. It could definitely be on par with the SN95s which made great starter cars.

My thought process is that ford took too big a leap forward for the base model. I know I don't want my 16 year old nephew driving a 305 hp mustang. The V6 was the entry level car. Now it is a performance car, which there is nothing wrong with, except it leaves a gaping hole in ford's line up.

Ford had the 140hp new focus coupe, but then there is a huge gap until the 305 hp entry mustang. I am an average joe or josey with no track experience. The focus is boring, but the mustang is too powerful...what do they buy, a genesis coupe, an eclipse, a scion?

I think there is a good sales opportunity to have an entry level engine in there.

Last edited by jarradasay; 5/20/10 at 11:56 AM.
Old 5/20/10, 12:01 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhumb
  • Slightly smaller
  • Lighter (200-300lbs per Ford's stated goals)
  • Improved aerodynamics
  • Hatchback (seamlessly integrated into Mustang styling)
  • Improved visibility/sight lines (lower beltline and cowl height mainly)
  • IRS
  • DCT (replacing slush box)
  • Unified data screed that would include:
    • OBDII/ECU data, including fault codes, engine parameters, etc.
    • Internet access/integration with nav features
  • Adjustable driving settings (shocks, steering, traction and stability control, throttle, shifting, etc.) with both standard settings and also fully personalizable settings
  • Recaros
  • Full cold weather package (heated seats, wheel, mirrors, wiper lands, windshield washer jets)
  • Keyless entry
  • All LED lighting (other than headlights).
  • DI across engines
well i guess i dont need to make a list now :P

dont care much for the cold weather stuff, living in CA and all :P, but thats pretty much it. im all for it, just not an option box i'd check. same with keyless

rest of that sounds good and none of it is too intrusive. But man that car needs to get smaller
Old 5/20/10, 12:05 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah, I can see a market for an entry level , maybe 4 cylinder Mustang with around 200hp. Another benefit is that it could have a base price lower than the current V6 (great for attracting entry level buyers). They could have the same options and trim levels available as the V6 model, allowing entry level buyers to get Sync, leather seats, etc.
Old 5/20/10, 01:18 PM
Cobra Member

If by current 6 you mean the antique 4.0, then 200 hp fours are out there. Not a huge stretch. It could definitely be on par with the SN95s which made great starter cars.

My thought process is that ford took too big a leap forward for the base model. I know I don't want my 16 year old nephew driving a 305 hp mustang. The V6 was the entry level car. Now it is a performance car, which there is nothing wrong with, except it leaves a gaping hole in ford's line up.

Ford had the 140hp new focus coupe, but then there is a huge gap until the 305 hp entry mustang. I am an average joe or josey with no track experience. The focus is boring, but the mustang is too powerful...what do they buy, a genesis coupe, an eclipse, a scion?

I think there is a good sales opportunity to have an entry level engine in there.

No. The current V6 is 305hp. I'm not talking about the old 4.0
Old 5/20/10, 02:02 PM
GTR Member

Adding a 4-cyl Mustang is just going to steal the thunder from another Ford vehicle. That's what cars like the Fusion and Focus are for. While there are cars like the Gen coupe in 2.0T trim, I don't think it's cost effective to make that move for them.
Old 5/20/10, 02:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

No. The current V6 is 305hp. I'm not talking about the old 4.0
The 4.0 left a big niche to fill. That is the reason for my comments. No for a 300HP 4 cylinder, but a 200 hp car.

Adding a 4-cyl Mustang is just going to steal the thunder from another Ford vehicle. That's what cars like the Fusion and Focus are for.
The Fusion and Focus do not compete in any category with the mustang, and have done fine sitting next to a 200 HP mustang for the last decade. Why would a 200 hp mustang all the sudden steal their sales??
Old 5/20/10, 02:38 PM
GTR Member

People won't be satisified with a 200hp Mustang any more. Not when the Civic or Camry can beat it off the line. Just because you're satisfied with a previous model, doesn't mean the new Mustang buyer would be.

I can see this conversation is going nowhere, so I'm done with this discussion.
Old 5/20/10, 02:49 PM
Cobra R Member

The 4.0 left a big niche to fill. That is the reason for my comments. No for a 300HP 4 cylinder, but a 200 hp car.

The Fusion and Focus do not compete in any category with the mustang, and have done fine sitting next to a 200 HP mustang for the last decade. Why would a 200 hp mustang all the sudden steal their sales??
I agree. The 315 hp motor should be an option. How would a base pony car with a conservative hp rating steal from sedans and 4 bangers? To me, I'd consider it an introduction to Mustang culture.
Old 5/20/10, 03:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
I agree. The 315 hp motor should be an option. How would a base pony car with a conservative hp rating steal from sedans and 4 bangers? To me, I'd consider it an introduction to Mustang culture.
Walt, Good to hear from you. I haven't seen you post in a while. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks this way.
Old 5/20/10, 03:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Walt, Good to hear from you. I haven't seen you post in a while. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks this way.
I didn't go anywhere .

I had an '01 3.8 for almost 4 years and loved every minute of it. I actually wish that I put cash down on my '05 and kept the '01 instead of trading it.

Ford needs a Tiboron (sp) fighter. I see too many entry-level asian imports owners that could have bought a Mustang if the price point were competitive...
Old 5/21/10, 07:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
I didn't go anywhere .

I had an '01 3.8 for almost 4 years and loved every minute of it. I actually wish that I put cash down on my '05 and kept the '01 instead of trading it.

Ford needs a Tiboron (sp) fighter. I see too many entry-level asian imports owners that could have bought a Mustang if the price point were competitive...
ding,ding,ding. We have a winner!!
Old 5/21/10, 07:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by socalwrench
I only have ONE major suggestion for Ford, especially in reference to the Mustang, get rid of the fat people seats. They do not need to be so wide.
I'm a big boy, but not fat. At least not in the ***. A little more support on the sides wouldn't hurt anything, but they sure don't seem too wide.

Quick Reply: What are some improvements you want to see in the NEXT GEN redesign?