2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

GT350 to be revealed on 11. 17. 14

Search this Thread

Old 11/18/14, 08:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Idk why you guys are snickering over the Pilot Super Sports. They are an amazingly capable tire, and THE best tires that Ford has ever put on a car stock. They are FAR better than any of the Pirellis that Ford has put on a Mustang, and better than the Eagle F1s on the GT500. They aren't Pilot Cups, but that is so unnecessary on a street car, not to mention those tires have zero life in them. The PSS is a great compromise. The kind of person who will track a GT350 is going to have a dedicated set of track wheels/tires anyway! Even if you drove your Z/28 to the track, did a few laps, and drove home, you'd only be able to do that maybe 3-4 times before it was time for new tires. The PSS have been used on M3s, 911 Turbos, etc. They will do just fine on this application.
Old 11/18/14, 09:04 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
So does this motor share architecture with the Coyote or is it something new?
That's what I was wondering. Perhaps same block but the crank gives a different stroke? Or PTWA like the 5.8?
Old 11/18/14, 09:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
This sounds a lot like the Boss side pipes with the restrictors removed to me.
I actually agree with this.

Obviously, it's not the boss but it sure sounds familiar.

I am curious to see how it does against the comparison.

MotorTrend's Top Driver's Car anyone?
Old 11/18/14, 10:35 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,690 Likes on 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Everything forward of the windshield is new. The widened front track and wider front fenders give it the square stance lacking from the stock car (which is why any Mustang benefits from wider/bigger wheels and a lower stance, in my opinion).
I think GT350 is everything I wanted it to be. It takes everything that made the Boss so good, adds some new ingredients (IRS etc), then turns it up to 11.
I'm soft, so I'll take mine with the tech package and leather interior. I wish they'd had the 10-speed auto ready to go in this, but I totally appreciate why they kept it manual only.
Top job, Ford, top job
I agree Paul. I agree. This is a great car for sure. I cannot wait for track results and actual numbers and such. I bet it does really well and holds it's own. I really like this car, which is VERY surprising.
I heard there are rumors of a "R" version of this car as well. Is that true??
Old 11/18/14, 11:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
I agree Paul. I agree. This is a great car for sure. I cannot wait for track results and actual numbers and such. I bet it does really well and holds it's own. I really like this car, which is VERY surprising.
I heard there are rumors of a "R" version of this car as well. Is that true??
nothing is true until a statement has been made by ford, and that hasn't been done yet.

there we're 2 completely different sounding cars tested at the ring so there is speculation. Both cars had carbon brakes which could be an option for the gt350.
Old 11/18/14, 11:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by rmurer
nothing is true until a statement has been made by ford, and that hasn't been done yet. there we're 2 completely different sounding cars tested at the ring so there is speculation. Both cars had carbon brakes which could be an option for the gt350.
The thing the CC brakes would have been mentioned by Ford in the reveal. I'm guessing there R will have those CC brakes and the CF roof as standard, and it will be going Porsche GT3 hunting!
Old 11/18/14, 01:18 PM
Xar
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
beautiful sound, nice car - can't wait for more details!
Old 11/18/14, 01:46 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just my opinion..

its nice but it is still at little meh to me. I am trying get on board with the 15 but its been hard.
Old 11/18/14, 02:08 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 622 Likes on 447 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
That's what I was wondering. Perhaps same block but the crank gives a different stroke? Or PTWA like the 5.8?
I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere last night that the extra inches were all bore.
Old 11/18/14, 02:20 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernStang79
Just my opinion.. its nice but it is still at little meh to me. I am trying get on board with the 15 but its been hard.
Yep. I've seen 3 on the road so far and haven't been impressed yet. I'm sure the aftermarket world will be able to make it look good eventually.
Old 11/18/14, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the chances you'll be able to get leather and nav in this thing, so it can be a true DD?
Old 11/18/14, 03:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SVTJayC
What are the chances you'll be able to get leather and nav in this thing, so it can be a true DD?
I dont see why not, tho they limited Boss with options. Personally I think having leather as an option and Nav should be available, I would hate to have cloth seats, feels cheap, and too easy to stain.
Old 11/18/14, 04:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 541 Likes on 422 Posts
Originally Posted by =HYPERDRIVE=
I dont see why not, tho they limited Boss with options. Personally I think having leather as an option and Nav should be available, I would hate to have cloth seats, feels cheap, and too easy to stain.
The Recaro seats that they've shown in this thing look to be some super-grippy Alcantara-covered items, and ones that I'd love to have in my car too.

Leather? No thanks.
Nav? That's what my phone's windshield-mounted nav dock is for.

Next you'll want an automatic transmission and heated seats/mirrors/steering-wheel

WTF?

It's a street-legal race car.

The Z28 comes with a stereo that has ONE speaker and the A/C is optional.

Look up the history of the GT350 nameplate. It's always been the hard-core racer model, while the GT500 was the more muscle/straight-line/luxurious car.
Old 11/18/14, 04:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah i don't want leather. I learned my lesson this summer.
Old 11/18/14, 04:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
The Recaro seats that they've shown in this thing look to be some super-grippy Alcantara-covered items, and ones that I'd love to have in my car too.

Leather? No thanks.
Nav? That's what my phone's windshield-mounted nav dock is for.

Next you'll want an automatic transmission and heated seats/mirrors/steering-wheel

WTF?

It's a street-legal race car.

The Z28 comes with a stereo that has ONE speaker and the A/C is optional.

Look up the history of the GT350 nameplate. It's always been the hard-core racer model, while the GT500 was the more muscle/straight-line/luxurious car.
I guess you dont like options....

Personally, I think it would not hurt to have at least option for the seats to be leather..
Old 11/18/14, 04:32 PM
TMS Staff

The GT350 is Here, and We Want it More than Our Next Breath

Billed as Ford’s best-handling Mustang ever, the GT350 not only revives the nameplate of Shelby’s iconic racing car, but also it revives the spirit and track-focused nature that made the original GT350 an absolute monster on the racetrack.

Read the rest on the Mustang Source homepage. >>
Old 11/18/14, 04:41 PM
GT Member

Haha look at my username and you'll know my stance on leather and options in a car like the gt350 :P gimme the go fast and turn sharper mods and save the soft stuff for fusions and foci

I think it will come better equipped than the z28 in terms of creature comforts, as I said before though... A gt500 would be more apt to load up with goodies, as it doesn't matter how much you fatten it up... Gt500 = uber powerful grand touring car, gt350= from street to track barebones machine.

I also agree with the pilot super sport comments, ford couldn't have picked a better tire for the intended use... Nobody is going to drive this car and think "hmm... These tires suck ***" or "this car needs more tire" and if they do, they are the type very used to buying thousands of dollars worth of tire for track use.
Old 11/18/14, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by MRGTX
So does this motor share architecture with the Coyote or is it something new?

The front clip isn't entirely new. The weird looking headlights are seemingl identical...and it's still bulbous and ugly.

...but who cares? This thing is shaping up to be one hell of a car.
My guess, basically a bored and stroked Boss 302 mill but with the flat crank and a valve train that can support 8k rpm. I might imagine some titanium bits (rods, valves) to hold together at those elevated revs and mitigate any NVH issues of a largish flat crank motor.
Old 11/18/14, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38
Idk why you guys are snickering over the Pilot Super Sports. They are an amazingly capable tire, and THE best tires that Ford has ever put on a car stock. They are FAR better than any of the Pirellis that Ford has put on a Mustang, and better than the Eagle F1s on the GT500. They aren't Pilot Cups, but that is so unnecessary on a street car, not to mention those tires have zero life in them. The PSS is a great compromise. The kind of person who will track a GT350 is going to have a dedicated set of track wheels/tires anyway! Even if you drove your Z/28 to the track, did a few laps, and drove home, you'd only be able to do that maybe 3-4 times before it was time for new tires. The PSS have been used on M3s, 911 Turbos, etc. They will do just fine on this application.
1) GM had the brass ones to tune the suspension for, and sell the car with, r compound tires
2) "Just fine" isn't good enough for the halo track model. As of right now, this isn't Fords 911 Turbo, it's Fords 911 GT3, and Porsche will put cups on that car...

So, much as I love what they've done, (and I really really do love it so far in its own right), until the R model breaks cover, or the regular 350 trounces the Z28 at multiple tracks, I'm going to say, in my humble opinion, like with the GT, they shoulda tried harder or lessened the hype.
Old 11/18/14, 07:13 PM

From ford media...

"Drivers interested in comfort, convenience and entertainment upgrades may select the Tech Pack, which includes power, leather-trimmed seats; Shaker Audio; 8-inch MyFord Touch® LCD touch screen; and dual zone electronic temperature control, to name a few features."

Quick Reply: GT350 to be revealed on 11. 17. 14