2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

GT350 to be revealed on 11. 17. 14

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/14, 08:35 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disagree... It's more about the characteristics of the engine and how the car handles for this GT350. The high HP forced induction stuff with nearly unusable levels of hp can stick to the gt500, I would like a knife for the track to fight the z28 and others... The gt500 can continue to be a bazooka to fight the hellcat.

I would love a high revving NA engine even I it was right around 500 hp... I don't think it's about what the aftermarket can already do, we could have that argument against buying a GT500... Or any performance variant of a car. That's irrelevant... To me it's about doing it tastefully and OE... Some of the suspension and chassis tuning they could do would be more beneficial than extra power that couldn't be put down anyway
Old 11/12/14, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by barebone- 5.0
I disagree... It's more about the characteristics of the engine and how the car handles for this GT350. The high HP forced induction stuff with nearly unusable levels of hp can stick to the gt500, I would like a knife for the track to fight the z28 and others... The gt500 can continue to be a bazooka to fight the hellcat.

I would love a high revving NA engine even I it was right around 500 hp... I don't think it's about what the aftermarket can already do, we could have that argument against buying a GT500... Or any performance variant of a car. That's irrelevant... To me it's about doing it tastefully and OE... Some of the suspension and chassis tuning they could do would be more beneficial than extra power that couldn't be put down anyway
^ THIS. I hope this car is about out handling the 1LE. The Boss was a legend with only 444hp, this car could be a mythical creature of performance cars with even "just" ~480 -500hp if it handles great.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 11/12/14 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11/12/14, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford needs a track car to put the Z28 in its place.
Old 11/12/14, 12:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 88lx50
Ford needs a track car to put the Z28 in its place.
Having driven an S550 GT/PP, all I can say is that they have a LONNNGGG way to go.
Old 11/12/14, 12:19 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
^ THIS. I hope this car is about out handling the 1LE. The Boss was a legend with only 444hp, this car could be a mythical creature of performance cars with even "just" ~480 -500hp if it handles great.
It needs enough horsepower to make it special, but not so much it becomes a drift machine with no balance.

The thing is the boss was unique not as much because of the power... What's 20-40 hp? but the handling... Anyone can put a boss or cobra jet intake on a 5.0 and make similar power, or throw a blower on a 5.0 and make it close to a gt500.

Now a completely different engine type now makes the car extremely unique to the gt350, and if it can match or top the handling balance of the Boss (shouldn't be hard with IRS), it will go down as a pretty unique and track/enthusiast specific car... And those are the cars worth waiting for. I mean who doesn't want a car that revs to a million and sticks to corners like glue?

Listen to all of the feedback from the reviews of the big cars anymore... Not very often do they say... **** this needs more horsepower! They are usually praising the cars that have maintained naturally aspirated and that are set up for more handling balance. They all LOVED the z28, but felt it wasn't a great street car... I think ford is making the gt350 to be the all around best, and to be optioned and prices to compete and beat the camaro.
Old 11/12/14, 01:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Having driven an S550 GT/PP, all I can say is that they have a LONNNGGG way to go.
Have you driven a Z28? If so, would like to hear your thoughts on that. Thanks!
Old 11/12/14, 02:06 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'll also remind anyone complaining about the S550 PP that the tires on there suck compared to what you get on the performance edition of the Camaro. Ford went for everyday street use, which they know is what 95% of sales will be.
Old 11/13/14, 07:00 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
And again, it's a PP not a TP.
Everyone compares them because they are the 'extra performance' checkboxes on the order form.
Will there be a TP? No idea, but it would be interesting to see. Wonder if that was intended that way. The GT:PP being a better road driver with a bit more taste for the track, wherein the 1LE IS the track SS.

Can't wait to see what SVT has cooked up.
Should be a wild ride.

Just wish I could afford one. Gone are the late 90s Cobra's where the prices weren't too off the charts. I know you get way more now, but the gap is pretty wide. Especially up here.
You could buy a GT weekender and a Focus for everyday and be in the ballpark of GT500.
Come onnnnnnnn lottery!

Last edited by Boomer; 11/13/14 at 07:03 AM.
Old 11/13/14, 08:38 AM
GT Member

It would be great if they kept the pricing in line with the Boss... I'm all about barebones lol! I don't need all the plush goodies in a car like this (hence my mustang having virtually nothing outside of track pack as options).

For example... I hate how in all of the comparos between all of the 2015 pony cars, they option the mustang up to the mid $40ks, while the camaro and challenger has base everything outside of performance add ons. The mustang would be the best bang for the buck even with just the PP, and would still be a great car. The base options are just fine, especially for a driver's car... Look at the camaro, it sucks in there but it gets all of the praise for being the "driver's car". The nicest camaro interior is still not even close to the base mustang.

Synopsis: make the car affordable by making it a barebones enthusiast car, rather than making it all polished up inside and out to charge the premium. Let those be options on a gt500 which in my eyes is more of a GT (grand touring) car versus a track machine, much like the challenger hellcat...

This thing needs to be base price a few ticks under $50k and it will destroy! 500+ naturally aspirated hp rear wheel drive with track caliber brakes, tires, and suspension tuning... That's super car qualities for much less than most entry level euro sports coupes...

Let the gt500 compete with the hellcat around $60-65k to be a big heavy, leather strapped baZooka...
Old 11/13/14, 10:30 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait any longer. Monday seems so far away!

Here are some screenshots: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/show...&postcount=432
Old 11/13/14, 10:53 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by barebone- 5.0
It would be great if they kept the pricing in line with the Boss... I'm all about barebones lol! I don't need all the plush goodies in a car like this (hence my mustang having virtually nothing outside of track pack as options).

For example... I hate how in all of the comparos between all of the 2015 pony cars, they option the mustang up to the mid $40ks, while the camaro and challenger has base everything outside of performance add ons. The mustang would be the best bang for the buck even with just the PP, and would still be a great car. The base options are just fine, especially for a driver's car... Look at the camaro, it sucks in there but it gets all of the praise for being the "driver's car". The nicest camaro interior is still not even close to the base mustang.

Synopsis: make the car affordable by making it a barebones enthusiast car, rather than making it all polished up inside and out to charge the premium. Let those be options on a gt500 which in my eyes is more of a GT (grand touring) car versus a track machine, much like the challenger hellcat...

This thing needs to be base price a few ticks under $50k and it will destroy! 500+ naturally aspirated hp rear wheel drive with track caliber brakes, tires, and suspension tuning... That's super car qualities for much less than most entry level euro sports coupes...

Let the gt500 compete with the hellcat around $60-65k to be a big heavy, leather strapped baZooka...
My understanding is that they are only going to make a certain amount and thats it. It'll be around the 50K - 55K after all the options. Still not a bad price for what is to be...
Old 11/13/14, 10:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i want this car.
Old 11/13/14, 11:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok that last video is making me happy.
Old 11/13/14, 12:16 PM
GT Member

That video is the biggest tease... Gahhhhh! Notice how they threw in the focus RS for a few frames... Hopefully that's coming soon as well
Old 11/13/14, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
3 more days! I can't wait to see this thing.
Old 11/13/14, 12:47 PM
Bullitt Member

This whole "only make a certain amount" stuff is dumb as hell. Make as many as you can sell. What's left over after 30 years can be collected or not. But why should Ford care? They're in the new car business, not the collector car business.
Old 11/13/14, 12:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Very pumped.
Old 11/13/14, 02:17 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
Anything less than 530-550 is gonna be a huge disappointment ...
I do agree Gabe.
I just think it should have gobs of power and torque. Just my opinion.
Old 11/13/14, 02:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
I do agree Gabe.
I just think it should have gobs of power and torque. Just my opinion.
I don't anticipate a lot of torque, certainly not over 500 ft-lbs, out of this flat-pane crankshaft that's still rumored.

But it'd better have some serious high-rpm horsepower if it's gonna be the great track toy that people think it's gonna be.

And to those that think that a lot of HP means driving slideways everywhere, look at the Ferrari 458 Italia ... 4.5L v8, almost 600 hp, and well-controlled.

It's all in the chassis tuning and programming of the stability control systems, along with torque management, something that's already been in use for years in cars of all kinds ...
Old 11/13/14, 03:04 PM
GT Member

^ agreed on both counts...
Flat crank is notoriously quick revving, high rpm, not as high of torque... That's an easy compromise.

What I'm saying is, I doubt ford will dump in all of the crazy stability control and tuning that is required to keep 600+ hp in check in this particular car... I'm just thinking along the lines of a less hardcore z28... Mid 500s HP NA with wide tires and quality breaks and some suspension tuning... It's not on a Ferrari budget I guess is what I'm trying to say, and frankly it doesn't need to be especially where I think they are going to try to price point it

Quick Reply: GT350 to be revealed on 11. 17. 14