2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

2015 Spy Shots

Search this Thread

Old 5/13/13 | 11:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Yes but the Aston looked like a Mustang in this case. The Mustang's style was being emulated here.

There's never been a 911 that looked like anything other than a Porsche 911 and that's the standard Ford should use for what is essentially Ford's halo car. Yes it should move forward but it should evolve not try t be something it is not IMHO.
The Aston Martin evolution was well in effect before the 65 Mustang. Ford was using European influences on the original Mustang, Aston Martin being only one. Ferrari has been noted also. Going back to it's roots, it would be totally appropriate to look for some Euro influences. What did a 911 look like in 1971 or 1983? The 911 still looked like a 911, the Mustang didn't look all that much like a Mustang in those time periods.

I'll leave it up to the Ford designers to concoct a brew of Euro inspired, yet identifiable as a Mustang. If they can make a Fusion sedan look that good, what they do with a sports coupe should be even better.
Old 5/14/13 | 10:07 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm sorry, but that is just not right.The mustang may have taken some euro cues from an aston, but only with the initial design of the concept.The production 65 mustangs took little cue from the concept and nothing from the aston martin of the time in any way.It was not until 67 with the dbs that the aston martin style was updated and took on a distinctly mustang appearance.Also, designers of the actual production mustang have stated that the mustang design cues came from ford cars at the time, most notably the Lincoln an tbird.all that aside, the mustang had its own distinct character, despite the individual cars that may have contributed to its design, and as many have said its that character that should be maintained, as the 911 has maintained it, not with just a few hints at a mustang - toss a tri-bar tail light on an f-150 and it does not make it a mustang. The current mustang is not retro - its a modern version of the original design and (at least in my opinion) that is the direction ford should continue.if ford wants a sports car/coupe that looks like a fusion, by all means make one, just please don't try to turn a mustang into a fusion coupe, or a fusion coupe into a mustang.
Old 5/14/13 | 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by b_btrick
I'm sorry, but that is just not right.The mustang may have taken some euro cues from an aston, but only with the initial design of the concept.The production 65 mustangs took little cue from the concept and nothing from the aston martin of the time in any way.It was not until 67 with the dbs that the aston martin style was updated and took on a distinctly mustang appearance.Also, designers of the actual production mustang have stated that the mustang design cues came from ford cars at the time, most notably the Lincoln an tbird.all that aside, the mustang had its own distinct character, despite the individual cars that may have contributed to its design, and as many have said its that character that should be maintained, as the 911 has maintained it, not with just a few hints at a mustang - toss a tri-bar tail light on an f-150 and it does not make it a mustang. The current mustang is not retro - its a modern version of the original design and (at least in my opinion) that is the direction ford should continue.if ford wants a sports car/coupe that looks like a fusion, by all means make one, just please don't try to turn a mustang into a fusion coupe, or a fusion coupe into a mustang.
AMEN BROTHER!
Old 5/14/13 | 01:04 PM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Deleted !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/14/13 at 01:07 PM. Reason: replyed to wrong quote
Old 5/14/13 | 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by b_btrick
Perhaps the current Mustang should've went retro, rather than design a modern version of the original.. For ie: look at how well the Challenger has done in sales and yet IMHO, the current Challenger appears more retro than both the current Camaro and Mustang combined.. Maybe if Ford were to design a modern/full retro version of the (67-68) full fastback for the upcoming 2015 Mustang ? It just might do better in sales and just in time to mark the 50th anniversary as well
Old 5/14/13 | 01:20 PM
GTR Member

Johnny Sparks' "Reversion" Mustang is probably as close to that as I've seen, blending original panels to fit an S197.

That probably gets 90% close to my ideal Mustang.

Another favourite of mine, sketch only, is this one. Takes the above and adds a little "new edge".

This is a long was from what I think S550 will look like though.
Old 5/14/13 | 02:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT

Perhaps the current Mustang should've went retro, rather than design a modern version of the original.. For ie: look at how well the Challenger has done in sales and yet IMHO, the current Challenger appears more retro than both the current Camaro and Mustang combined.. Maybe if Ford were to design a modern/full retro version of the (67-68) full fastback for the upcoming 2015 Mustang ? It just might do better in sales and just in time to mark the 50th anniversary as well
Isn't the challenger selling like less than half of the yearly sales of the mustang or Camaro? There's even rumors of it being replaced by a smaller lighter SRT barracuda.

I'm all for taking the porsche 911 approach and evolving the mustang forward from here. The retro modern look of the 05 was a great starting point but they don't need it to look any more like the 60s mustangs. I'd gladly take a mustang that leans more modern Aston Martin clone than 1960s retro.
Old 5/14/13 | 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by MadMoose
Isn't the challenger selling like less than half of the yearly sales of the mustang or Camaro? There's even rumors of it being replaced by a smaller lighter SRT barracuda.

I'm all for taking the porsche 911 approach and evolving the mustang forward from here. The retro modern look of the 05 was a great starting point but they don't need it to look any more like the 60s mustangs. I'd gladly take a mustang that leans more modern Aston Martin clone than 1960s retro.
Perhaps it's the Camaro that's doing better in sales right now, but at one point I thought the Challenger was also doing better as well..

On the other hand, your right on the money, as I've also been hearing rumors about an SRT Barracuda replacing the current Challenger in either 2015 or 16..

As for the current Mustang goes, I personally don't feel they went modern retro enough and if they had went closer towards a 67-68 design ? It may have done much better in sales..

In the meantime I also wouldn't mind if Ford leaned towards an Aston-Martin design for the next Mustang either and if I'm not mistaken, wasn't the design for the Aston-Martin DB-9 Ford's design anyhow ? I believe this was during the time before Ford sold off Aston-Martin

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/14/13 at 02:50 PM.
Old 5/14/13 | 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Johnny Sparks' "Reversion" Mustang is probably as close to that as I've seen, blending original panels to fit an S197.

That probably gets 90% close to my ideal Mustang.

Another favourite of mine, sketch only, is this one. Takes the above and adds a little "new edge".

This is a long was from what I think S550 will look like though.
Paul ! The Johnny Sparks Reversion is most definitely one of my favorite examples and here's another example as well

http://wot.motortrend.com/iacoccas-o...#axzz2SCidMUO1
Old 5/15/13 | 07:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Bored...making my own spy shots... a la Jim Dunne
Attached Images  
Old 5/15/13 | 08:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mustangs and Astons have looked similar before, so I have no problem with it.

There's an Aston Martin in a Bond film that looks just like a Mustang (its silver... when I saw the movie as a kid, I thought it was a Mustang).

Anyway, going back to 1963-64... as Ford got ready to launch the Mustang they did a number of "focus groups" to gauge initial reactions to the car- half of them hated it, but the other half loved it. Point being, I'm guessing the new Mustang will be loved by about half the Mustang crowd- and absolutely loathed by the other half (I have an order in for a '14- so you can guess which half I assume I'll be in).

Since everyone else has an opinion on the body style, I'll toss a thought in that they should make it look somewhat like a practical GT40- but they won't. The main reason I'm pretty sure I won't like whatever they concoct is Ford's desire to sell in Europe. I travel to France about 10x per year for work, and those folks drive some really REALLY ugly cars (check out the Twingo). I have to imagine that a car which is appealing to the masses in Europe will not be appealing to me.
Old 5/15/13 | 10:21 AM
GTR Member

Yes, we do have the Twingo (and plenty of other ugly cars). But then you have this...............but it doesn't mean all American's like ugly cars

Don't worry, we Europeans (actually, I'm British, but that's another argument ) like the Mustang because it DOESN'T look like anything else on the road over here
Old 5/15/13 | 10:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Topnotch
Bored...making my own spy shots... a la Jim Dunne
See, a great looking steering wheel!
Old 5/15/13 | 10:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, we do have the Twingo (and plenty of other ugly cars). But then you have this...............but it doesn't mean all American's like ugly cars.

Actually, my wife drives a Buick Rendezvous (which is built on the same platform as the ugly Pontiac in your picture). Also, I have actually looked into importing a Peugeot 206cc (turns out you cannot register a modern Peugeot in the US- they have not submitted the required cars for crash testing).

So, I don't think European cars are all ugly- or that there aren't any that perform well... However, without a doubt the average European car tends to
have styling cues that I have no desire to see appearing on a Ford Mustang. Likewise with the whole "ecologically sensitive" engine movement. Hybrids are fine for a Prius or even a Ford Taurus- they don't belong in the Ford Mustang. Turbo diesels are awesomeness in a VW hatchback- but they don't belong in a Ford Mustang.

Just saying the Ford Mustang is Ford's only sports car, and- if they really care about the continuation of the nameplate- then it needs to stay an essentially American sports car.
Old 5/15/13 | 11:05 AM
GTR Member

I agree with you

I honestly don't think Ford will tone down the Mustang just for the Europeans though, whether that be in terms of styling or powertrains. Everything will be driven by the American market, which I'm sure will still make up 85%+ of all Mustang sales.

However, I do believe the Mustang will change to appeal to a younger audience in the US. Those new buyers won't be put off by a 4-cylinder, and they will more readily embrace a less retro look to the styling. However, Ford will also, of course, have to appeal to the current Mustang fans and what drew us to the car in the first place.

Not an easy path to tread, but I have faith it will still be ALL MUSTANG. A car we'll love.
Old 5/15/13 | 11:42 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Varilux
Mustangs and Astons have looked similar before, so I have no problem with it.

There's an Aston Martin in a Bond film that looks just like a Mustang (its silver... when I saw the movie as a kid, I thought it was a Mustang).

Anyway, going back to 1963-64... as Ford got ready to launch the Mustang they did a number of "focus groups" to gauge initial reactions to the car- half of them hated it, but the other half loved it. Point being, I'm guessing the new Mustang will be loved by about half the Mustang crowd- and absolutely loathed by the other half (I have an order in for a '14- so you can guess which half I assume I'll be in).

Since everyone else has an opinion on the body style, I'll toss a thought in that they should make it look somewhat like a practical GT40- but they won't. The main reason I'm pretty sure I won't like whatever they concoct is Ford's desire to sell in Europe. I travel to France about 10x per year for work, and those folks drive some really REALLY ugly cars (check out the Twingo). I have to imagine that a car which is appealing to the masses in Europe will not be appealing to me.
Making a purchase decision based on something you haven't seen is not smart.

Assuming that some faggoty french car has even .01% influence on a Mustang's design is not smart. Ford is not looking to appeal to the masses in Europe with an uber-design compromised car, it will be distinctly Mustang, no doubt.

I will ressurect this post next year and ask you if you have smashed your teeth in yet for buying an inferior product based upon assumptions about things we have little information about.

The '14 is indeed a great car, so it's a good buy, but a 2015 is around the corner and you are aware of this. I think anyone considering a 2014 should wait.

I don't believe there will be any one way that a 2014 will be better than a 2015, including the way it looks.

Last edited by MustangDizzle; 5/15/13 at 11:47 AM.
Old 5/15/13 | 01:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Making a purchase decision based on something you haven't seen is not smart.
I already know I like the way a 2014 Mustang looks- and, I already know there is absolutely nothing else in the Ford line-up that looks even slightly appealing to me.

Assuming that some French car has even .01% influence on a Mustang's design is not smart. Ford is not looking to appeal to the masses in Europe with an uber-design compromised car, it will be distinctly Mustang, no doubt.
How about assuming the other cars on the lot are going to have some influence on the Mustang's design? I'm betting the new Mustang will follow the same trend the Ford design team has been taking with every other model on the lot- with a few "Mustang" features (just listen to the guy in charge- in interviews I hear him basically saying they just need to keep the "long hood and short rear deck" to retain the Mustang feel). They'll be a tri-bar pony on the car- and probably some sort of indentation on the side panel. Otherwise, they'll Fusion it up like everything else on the lot.

I will resurrect this post next year and ask you if you have smashed your teeth in yet for buying an inferior product based upon assumptions about things we have little information about.
...and by then I'll have several thousand smile-inducing miles on what I already know to be an awesome car. And its not like its the last car I will ever own... the thing that makes cars better than women is its a lot less expensive to trade one in for a newer model.

The '14 is indeed a great car, so it's a good buy, but a 2015 is around the corner and you are aware of this. I think anyone considering a 2014 should wait.
I'm also aware that the 2015 will be based on an entirely new platform, so I'll go with the nicely ironed out S197 and wait for other owners to help Ford work the bugs out of the new Mustang before purchasing one myself. As the owner of a '65 coupe, I've already had to deal with my share of "first year bugs." The beauty of this country is- everyone gets to do more or less what they want to do. Buy a '14, wait for the '15... your choice!

I don't believe there will be any one way that a 2014 will be better than a 2015, including the way it looks.
Considering the Mustang needs to keep getting better to stay ahead of the Camaro, I sincerely hope you are right... I just don't believe you are.

PS- I've owned at least one of every generation the Mustang has gone through (including the Mustang II, which- though necessary for its time- wasn't all that great of a car). Every time I hear the "Mustang needs to evolve," I remember the biggest single evolution in Mustang's history occurred with the 1974 model year (and 1974 was one of the best selling years in Mustang history- I just have no desire to own one).

Last edited by Varilux; 5/15/13 at 01:19 PM.
Old 5/15/13 | 01:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't worry, we Europeans (actually, I'm British, but that's another argument ) like the Mustang because it DOESN'T look like anything else on the road over here.
Just saw this part of your post- didn't realize you were British (which means, no- you are not a European ). I love visiting the UK, because you guys have some awesome cars. Jags, Astons, Lotii (or whatever the plural of Lotus is), and I even like some Vauxalls (sp?). In fact, I could really envision myself living there if y'all could just figure out how to drive on the right side of the road (I'm not bad on the A roads... its when I get into a parking lot and naturally pull to the right when encountering another car in the lot).

The wife and I watch a lot of car shows- one of our favorites is a couple of Brits who fix up 80s sports cars (Wheeler Dealers).
Old 5/15/13 | 02:14 PM
GTR Member

Haha.....yes, our roads are far too narrow and full of traffic to be much fun.......well, in town, anyway. Certainly there are some awesome driving roads if you know where to look.

The British (owned) car industry is all but dead here, but we do still build some great cars, even if the brands are no in foreign ownership. It's funny, when I was younger, I never felt that Ford's were anything but British.....at least "our" ones which were designed and built in Britain. Sadly, the last "British" Ford, the Transit, will soon be made abroad.

But, getting back to the '15..............I have faith in Ford to do it right
Old 5/15/13 | 02:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

One of the monthly car shows we attend usually has a Ford Anglia (its dark metallic green, and its just fabulously restored).

As far as Ford getting it right- I'll go with one of my mom's sayings "Always hope for the best- but plan for the worst." Like I said, I'm sure at least 50% of the Mustang community will love whatever gets produced...
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Spy Shots-anglia.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2015 Spy Shots